Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Rockport Atria II

Hi, anyone here own or auditioned the Atria 2 would share the characteristics or attributes, relative strengths and weaknesses ?

How are they compared to the Revel Salon 2 or a Magico S3 Mk2?

I was warned that the Atria were demanding pair of speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Turntable: VPI Prime - Ortofon Quintet S Black - VPI ADS
    Digital Source: dCS Bartok w/headphone amp
    Preamp: Soulution 520
    Amplifier: Soulution 511
    Speakers: Rockport Atria II
    Power conditioning- Shunyata Research Denali 6000T v1
    Power cord: AQ Thunder/Transparent Audio XL Gen 6
    Interconnect: Transparent Audio Super Gen 5 XLR and tonearm cable / Transparent Audio Gen 6
    Rack: Critical Mass Sotto Voce/ Critical Mass Black Platinum/MXR spike

Re: Rockport Atria II

Are you asking because it was found to be among best of show at High end munich 2019 ?

I too am really interested in knowing more about this. Actually a canadian seller is selling the Cygnus at a pretty good price. So if your budget can stretch to about 35-40k might want to step up to that.

Quote Originally Posted by smodtactical View Post
    Are you asking because it was found to be among best of show at High end munich 2019 ?

I too am really interested in knowing more about this. Actually a canadian seller is selling the Cygnus at a pretty good price. So if your budget can stretch to about 35-40k might want to step up to that.
    The Rockport Atria have been on my radar since I started my search for speakers. They appeared in TAS list along with the Magico S1 Mk2, Marten Coltrane etc in 2017/2018. I have been facing some issues trying to audition them here.

Interconnect: Transparent Audio Super Gen 5 XLR and tonearm cable / Transparent Audio Gen 6

Hi

Just trying to revive the thread, any thoughts about the Atria IIs? I have the YG Carmel 2 and the Atria IIs in my shortlist. I am trying to set up an audition for then Rockports but wanted to find out what to expect.

The Carmel 2s is transparent and revealing but has a huge soundstage. Dealer had the Salon 2s and can say the speaker does sound that is has a large soundstage that is as large if not larger than that of the Salon 2s.

Only downside is that, Carmel 2s could do a bit of low end compared to the Atria IIs and will be a tougher speaker to digest with regular to poor quality records and can be slightly demanding to run with tube amps.

Appreciate advice and opinions alike.

Just reviving the thread to see if more Rockport owners would like to shed some light on these speakers.

Hi Bob,
    I haven't spent enough time with the Atria to give you any clear answers but Rockport's have a similar sound signature moving up the line. I chose the Avior based on my room size and budget at the time. The Cygnus could have been an option but the Avior's were more appropriate in my room. I knew I liked them immediately. Tonality is right with plenty of meat on the bone, never thin to my ears and very musical. I listened to them with a few different Nagra amps SS & tube, and with Ayre MX-R 20's with matching pre. I had some questions when I was looking for speakers and called Rockport. Andy answered the phone and we talked about his speakers for some time, frankly I was shocked. Great customer service and a nice guy. I plan to move up the line.

Dave
    Speaker: Rockport Avior & Mira, B&W 803 D
    Amp: Nagra HD Monos, McIntosh Mc303 & 601
    Pre: Nagra HD pre
    Source: Esoteric K-01X & G-01, Aurender W20
    Cable: Transparent Ref Gen 5 SC & Ref XL PC
    Grounding: Tripoint Elite, Thor SE, Emperor Mkii

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
    Hi Bob,
    I haven't spent enough time with the Atria to give you any clear answers but Rockport's have a similar sound signature moving up the line. I chose the Avior based on my room size and budget at the time. The Cygnus could have been an option but the Avior's were more appropriate in my room. I knew I liked them immediately. Tonality is right with plenty of meat on the bone, never thin to my ears and very musical. I listened to them with a few different Nagra amps SS & tube, and with Ayre MX-R 20's with matching pre. I had some questions when I was looking for speakers and called Rockport. Andy answered the phone and we talked about his speakers for some time, frankly I was shocked. Great customer service and a nice guy. I plan to move up the line.

Dave
    +1

Very natural/organic sounding speakers that still offer great transparency and resolution. Having heard the YG Carmel 2 in my room I can see why you may lack some low end authority.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Adam, any thoughts on your M3s v YGs (Sonja 2.2s in particular). Am starting to seriously look for a speaker upgrade...
    Digital: Innuos Zenith Mk3 Server + MSB Premier DAC with Powerbase
    Amp: Gryphon Pandora + Gryphon Antileon Evo Stereo
    Speakers: Magico S3 MkII
    Cables: MIT SL-Matrix 36 XLR interconnect cables + 70 speaker cables; AQ Diamond & Vodka ethernet cables
    Power: AQ Niagara 5000 + AQ Tornado power cables
    Headphones (travel): Sennheiser Momentum + Chord Mojo

I have never heard Sonias in the same system (not to mention my own room) to make a meaningful comment. Many people seem to like them though.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Do you have a gut feel? I guess the M3s...
    Digital: Innuos Zenith Mk3 Server + MSB Premier DAC with Powerbase
    Amp: Gryphon Pandora + Gryphon Antileon Evo Stereo
    Speakers: Magico S3 MkII
    Cables: MIT SL-Matrix 36 XLR interconnect cables + 70 speaker cables; AQ Diamond & Vodka ethernet cables
    Power: AQ Niagara 5000 + AQ Tornado power cables
    Headphones (travel): Sennheiser Momentum + Chord Mojo

I've had a fair amount of experience listening to the Atria II and the top of the line Lyras. As Super Dave said, the Rockports have strong family resemblance and the Atria II's were very impressive, though not as much as their biggest siblings. I heard them in the same setting, the same place where I heard the full range of Magicos from the Q3, Q5 and Q7 to the S5's to M projects. It was at my dealer's place, which I have visited for extended periods many times. All the speakers were driven by very high quality electronics, often at higher price points than the speakers. I do prefer the Rockport speakers to the Magicos, and so did my dealer who has switched to carrying the Rockports. If you are spending even the lower amount of the Atria II's, I think a good listen is worth the time and effort. Not sure whether you have a dealer that would be willing to loan you a pair.

Larry
    Analog-VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono,2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2, Merrill Trident Tape Preamp, Herron VTPH-2A&BottleheadPhonoPre,
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicroso nicsModel2 AD
    Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC Roon/HQPlayer,Oppo105
    Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-512 Engineering Tim Marutani Symmetrical Power IsoTrans and cables,AudioDiskVinylCleaner,
    Music-2.3KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,60TBripped files

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
    Hi Bob,

Dave
    Rockport is a great company- very prompt and accommodating customer service. I am considering the Rockport Atria II as they will sing with the VAC tube pre/power amplification without spending stupid cash.

Quote Originally Posted by astrotoy View Post
    I've had a fair amount of experience listening to the Atria II and the top of the line Lyras. As Super Dave said, the Rockports have strong family resemblance and the Atria II's were very impressive, though not as much as their biggest siblings. I heard them in the same setting, the same place where I heard the full range of Magicos from the Q3, Q5 and Q7 to the S5's to M projects. It was at my dealer's place, which I have visited for extended periods many times. All the speakers were driven by very high quality electronics, often at higher price points than the speakers. I do prefer the Rockport speakers to the Magicos, and so did my dealer who has switched to carrying the Rockports. If you are spending even the lower amount of the Atria II's, I think a good listen is worth the time and effort. Not sure whether you have a dealer that would be willing to loan you a pair.

Larry
    I would liked to pair them with VAC Amplification tube amplification. Rockports are few and far between here and the dealer representing the brand don’t have them on a demo.

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    +1

Very natural/organic sounding speakers that still offer great transparency and resolution. Having heard the YG Carmel 2 in my room I can see why you may lack some low end authority.
    Killer speakers those YGs. But I see them lack in the low end department.

Quote Originally Posted by astrotoy View Post

Larry
    None of these Magico models are current.
    You should go to Goodwin’s high-end and hear a direct comparison between the sluggish Rockport and the new Magico M (or S) series. You still may prefer the colored Rockport, but at least you will be current and your comments relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by LVB View Post
    You should go to Goodwin’s high-end and hear a direct comparison between the sluggish Rockport and the new Magico M (or S) series. You still may prefer the colored Rockport, but at least you will be current and your comments relevant.
    Troll Much?

That's right!
    BTW, the Rockport will be ideal with the sterile Esoteric, one always has to count for synergy

That's right!
    BTW, the Rockport will be ideal with the sterile Esoteric, one always has to count for synergy
    Very Classy LVB! I'm not enjoying the Esoteric either anymore. You realize that you added no value or knowledge to this thread, just your opinion that doesn't seem to be widely shared. I notice you don't post your system, not that I would ever be a big enough shit to pick out weak links in other people's systems just to troll but to each his own.

And you would be in “a big enough shit” to call people derogatory names? Looks like I hit a sensitive spot, sorry about that...

And you would be in “a big enough shit” to call people names? Looks like I hit a sensitive spot, sorry about that...
    Yes, I'm devastated. Moving on...

I thought you did already

Originally Posted by LVB
    Rockports are nice.
    Don’t quite get the latest infatuation with Stenheims. Nice enclosure, with basically PA drivers in it (Made by PHL, I was told own by Devialet).
    I had sound like that out of ProAc 25 years ago.

You're awesome dude!

Rockports are very nice, compare to Stenheims.

Thank for the compliments!

I respect your opinions. I have listened to M3 and S5 Mk2 in Magico dealer showroom. I have listened to Cygnus in Rockport showroom. I am sorry to say that Cygnus wins hands down. It is so natural and organic. It also has low end authority. Relatively, the Magico sounds lifeless and worse, there is no bass.

Quote Originally Posted by Adyc View Post
    I respect your opinions. I have listened to M3 and S5 Mk2 in Magico dealer showroom. I have listened to Cygnus in Rockport showroom. I am sorry to say that Cygnus wins hands down. It is so natural and organic. It also has low end authority. Relatively, the Magico sounds lifeless and worse, there is no bass.
    I have have heard a number of Magico and Rockport speakers under non-show conditions (including the Magico M6 and the Rockport Lyras), have owned a number of Magico speakers, and currently own Rockports.

They’re all very good speakers even though each has their own advantages and disadvantages.

But what I can definitely tell you, is that proper speaker setup is essential to getting a true measure of what any speaker can deliver. I’ve seen personally, in my room, and with my speakers, how even minute differences in the positioning of speakers by an expert can make significant (non-linear) differences in how they perform.

And the optimal position of even the same speaker (as defined by 6 measurements: x, y, z axes and rotations about each axis), will depend on the electronics and cabling in the same room. I wouldn’t have believed it without hearing it first hand, but just switching out different cables, required a different optimal speaker positioning to fully extract the best sound.

In the end, and in my experience, both Magico and Rockport speakers can sound amazing if properly set up and in a proper room.

Rockport Lyra speakers; TotalDac Amp-1 mono blocks; four box CH Precision L1/X1 pre/power supply monos; CH precision P1/X1 phono/power supply; TotalDac d1-driver monos; Pacific Microsonics Model 2 DAC; TotalDac d1-12 MkII DAC with two reclockers; Kodo The Beat Turnatable with LT Schroder magnesium tonearm and Lyra Atlas cart; Taiko Extreme server; Kalista Dreamplayer CD Transport; Taiko Audio Daiza Platforms; Nordost Odin2 Power Cords and Analog ICs; 512 Engineering/Tim Marutani Balanced Transformers (30 amp for sources; 50 amp for amps); Rives designed dedicated room.

That's right!
    Go away Troll
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Adyc View Post
    No need to be sorry, we all like what we like. What is "organic" to some can be slow and sluggish to others. At least you are commenting on the latest products. I will say thought that saying that S5 Mk2 has "no bass", will indicates a poor set up.

Quote Originally Posted by cmarin View Post
    I have have heard a number of Magico and Rockport speakers under non-show conditions (including the Magico M6 and the Rockport Lyras), have owned a number of Magico speakers, and currently own Rockports.

They’re all very good speakers even though each has their own advantages and disadvantages.

But what I can definitely tell you, is that proper speaker setup is essential to getting a true measure of what any speaker can deliver. I’ve seen personally, in my room, and with my speakers, how even minute differences in the positioning of speakers by an expert can make significant (non-linear) differences in how they perform.

And the optimal position of even the same speaker (as defined by 6 measurements: x, y, z axes and rotations about each axis), will depend on the electronics and cabling in the same room. I wouldn’t have believed it without hearing it first hand, but just switching out different cables, required a different optimal speaker positioning to fully extract the best sound.

In the end, and in my experience, both Magico and Rockport speakers can sound amazing if properly set up and in a proper room.

Good Post!

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Rockport Atria II