Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Using Roon To Troubleshoot Problems In Tracks

Recently I was listening to music from my digital library and noticed nasty ticks/pops on several tracks. Since Roon displays the track time and provides a graphic display of the music being played I was able to actually 'see' the location of the tick/pop on the tracks.

I eventually concluded that only my downloaded DSD albums were affected. Some tracks had a couple of ticks/pops, but ALL my DSD downloads showed the problem. I know that all the downloads were fine when I first bought them, so I can only conclude that somehow while moving the files around to different locations/folders/computers/etc. the original files must have gotten corrupted.

Fortunately, I had a good copy of the albums stored in the clouds and was able to download and replace the damaged albums. That process reminded how BIG DSD albums can be; they take a fair amount of time to copy/download them. Their size (several gigs per album is typical) and the time it takes to download/copy makes them more susceptible to something going wrong.

I now look at Roon graphical display with a better appreciation of how it can help me identify problems in my music files. Also interesting is to see how some pop recordings seem to be recorded at maximum volume and the graphs show 'clipping' everywhere.

By the way, the graphical display of the music does not work with tracks from Tidal. Those tracks only show the time elapsed/remaining but no graphical representation of the music.

Super Moderator

Re: Using Roon To Troubleshoot Problems In Tracks

Excellent! Thank you for the heads up. I never thought of looking more deeply into Roon and some if its features.

Also goes to show you the importance of backups.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Re: Using Roon To Troubleshoot Problems In Tracks

Also, if I might add, after ripping your SACDs, make sure you save a copy of your ISO files! That will allow you another way of recovering your DSF files. Those ISO files are as close to the physical SACD as you can get!

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Using Roon To Troubleshoot Problems In Tracks