Sub for Harbeth Super HL 5+ Anniversary model speakers?
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Sub for Harbeth Super HL 5+ Anniversary model speakers?

I'll soon be taking delivery of Harbeth Super HL 5+ Anniversary speakers and was wondering if I'll need a sub? From what I've read I'm inclined to think not. The room is an "average" 27' x 11' downstairs room with wood paneled walls, painted peg board ceiling, and carpet covered concrete floors.

I do have two SVS subs (P12SDs) I use with my upstairs and downstairs HT systems. I could use the sub from the downstairs HT for my two channel system, which will also be downstairs.

I've been told the SVS subs were more for HT vs two channel high end stereo. So, I guess I have two questions...1. Do you think I'll need a sub for the Harbeths? And 2. If so, should I use one of my HT SVS subs or purchase a separate, dedicated sub for the two channel system? Obviously, if I don't need a sub for the Harbeths all the rest is moot.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sub for Harbeth Super HL 5+ Anniversary model speakers?

I would check on the REL site which sub they suggest to pair with your Harbeths. Just enter your model name, and they propose a sub to pair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: AMG V12 + AMG 12j2 arm + Benz Micro Gullwing SLR MC/ Cardas Clear Beyond Phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Grandinote Celio/ Aurender N100H with Curious USB/ Synology NAS with Roon and HD Plex linear PSU with Shunyata HD/ AQ Diamond RJ45 + AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE/ Brinkmann Nyquist MK II/ Ayre KX-5 Twenty/ Soulution 511/ WyWires Platinum ICs + power cables/ Magico S3 mk2/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ REL S5 SHO/ REL Blue/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata AlphaHC (x2)+ Alpha+Alpha Analogue+Alpha Digital/ Finite Elemente Pagode/ Stillpoints Ultra SS.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Ayre Codex/ Auralic Aries Mini/ Sbooster LPSU/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Tom, you're gonna love them.
    - Steve

McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp • Lumin D2 Network Player • Rega Apollo R CD Player • Harbeth C7ES3 Loudspeakers • Magnepan .7 Loudspeakers • JL Audio D108 Subwoofer •
    Sound Anchor Four Post Monitor Stands • Analysis Plus Black Oval 12 Speaker Cables • Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Oval Balanced Interconnects • PS Audio Dectet Power Center • PS Audio AC3 Power Cable • PS Audio Noise Harvestors • VTI 3 Post Modular Component Rack • Roon via a MacBook Air core

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Steve. I appreciate the encouraging words. The only problem I have is I'm purchasing my system sort of piece meal. I'm ordering the speakers, cables and stands now. I'll purchase the amp (Luxman 509x), streaming hardware/software, CD ripping and storage components, immediately after the first of the year. I wanted to get the Harbeth Super HL 5+ Anniversary edition speakers before they complete their run and while they were still available. We are making the purchases separately for tax purposes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassphile View Post
    Thanks, Steve. I appreciate the encouraging words. The only problem I have is I'm purchasing my system sort of piece meal. I'm ordering the speakers, cables and stands now. I'll purchase the amp (Luxman 509x), streaming hardware/software, CD ripping and storage components, immediately after the first of the year. I wanted to get the Harbeth Super HL 5+ Anniversary edition speakers before they complete their run and while they were still available. We are making the purchases separately for tax purposes.
    Super HL5+ never really seems to be short on supply. There’re always a number of them for sale on Audiogon for most of the time if I’m not mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Well Tom, I'm really pleased that you were able to get a pair of the speakers you had your heart set on. It's all downhill from here. I was checking out that Luxman amp online and it looks like it'll be a perfect match for those Harbeths. You are gonna have a killer system when you're finished. Please be sure to at least consider a Lumin Network Player because they couple so well with those speakers and that integrated amp.
    - Steve

McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp • Lumin D2 Network Player • Rega Apollo R CD Player • Harbeth C7ES3 Loudspeakers • Magnepan .7 Loudspeakers • JL Audio D108 Subwoofer •
    Sound Anchor Four Post Monitor Stands • Analysis Plus Black Oval 12 Speaker Cables • Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Oval Balanced Interconnects • PS Audio Dectet Power Center • PS Audio AC3 Power Cable • PS Audio Noise Harvestors • VTI 3 Post Modular Component Rack • Roon via a MacBook Air core

Post Thanks / Like

I'll soon be taking delivery of Harbeth Super HL 5+ Anniversary speakers and was wondering if I'll need a sub? From what I've read I'm inclined to think not. The room is an "average" 27' x 11' downstairs room with wood paneled walls, painted peg board ceiling, and carpet covered concrete floors.

I do have two SVS subs (P12SDs) I use with my upstairs and downstairs HT systems. I could use the sub from the downstairs HT for my two channel system, which will also be downstairs.

I've been told the SVS subs were more for HT vs two channel high end stereo. So, I guess I have two questions...1. Do you think I'll need a sub for the Harbeths? And 2. If so, should I use one of my HT SVS subs or purchase a separate, dedicated sub for the two channel system? Obviously, if I don't need a sub for the Harbeths all the rest is moot.
    Ive owned HL5 pluses so don't take this the wrong way but 11' wide is a very small room in spite of it being 27' long. I assume the speakers will be positioned on the short wall 1/3 or at least 1/4 into the room away from back wall (or front wall, depending on perspective) in which case a sub won't be necessary.

I also have experience with SVS subs, the sealed non-ported models are the best choice for music. The ported models by way of the LFE inputs have the edge with theatre applications.
    Linn Kilmax LP12 | Audio Research Ref Phono 2 SE | Innous ZENMini | Kii Three

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    Super HL5+ never really seems to be short on supply. There’re always a number of them for sale on Audiogon for most of the time if I’m not mistaken.
    Although there are still some new ones around the 40th Anniversary models seem to be disappearing and are getting a little harder to find. I didn't want to wait another 6 to 12 months.

Post Thanks / Like

i regularly listen to the anniversary version and recently sold my harbeth shl5plus . beautiful midrange . as long as they are away from the walls , the luxman is going to be very special . i would let them settle in with the amps first and after a good time try a sub .
    1]bel canto pre 3 vbs msb s200 . onkyo sacd , bel canto fm1 tuner . tannoy eaton legacy 2]schiit saga pre , firebottle hybrid monoblocks ,bel canto 3.5 vbs , marantz sa8005, reference fidelity impulse Ta`us horns

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    i regularly listen to the anniversary version and recently sold my harbeth shl5plus . beautiful midrange . as long as they are away from the walls , the luxman is going to be very special . i would let them settle in with the amps first and after a good time try a sub .

Thank you! I appreciate your advice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast