Sub for Harbeth Super HL 5+ Anniversary model speakers? - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sub for Harbeth Super HL 5+ Anniversary model speakers?

I have been running the SHL5+ Anniversary version since May 2018. My room is 18’ x 12’ and they suit it very well. In my opinion they seem an ideal fit for that sort of size room. Phil is spot on in that they need to be away from walls, I found about 40 inches from the rear wall works well in my room and a couple of feet in from the side walls. Once in the correct spot they reward with a very even performance with no frequency area being unduly highlighted. They do have that legendary midrange and just the right amount of top end sparkle. Where they surprised me most was in the bass end. They have weight and clarity that is somewhat unexpected given the size and in my situation excite the room modes less than pretty well any other speaker I have had in my room, that is any speaker with comparable range in the low end. I think the front porting helps in this regard. So, and again agreeing with Phil, I would try them as is and I feel that unless your taste runs to lots of organ recitals or you like to play at rave levels you might find a sub unnecessary.
    Lumin A1 / Crayon Audio CIA-1T / Soundkaos Wave 40 or Harbeth SHL5+ 40th Anniversary

2. Likes Mike, hifinutt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Nick, thank you so much for the info. Yeah, I don't know if I'll need a sub or not. I listen to bluegrass music 90% of the time and small combo jazz the rest of the time. So, it's not like I'll need to get into the lowest octaves. I have two SVS subs that go with both of my HT systems (one for each system). However, they're both ported. I've recently been reading that subs used for music should be un-ported and that ported subs are better for HT. Personally, I'm not sure I buy that...yet. Maybe it's true, I don't really know for sure. Up until recently, I've read that SVS subs are some of the best money can buy for music and most of the SVS subs are ported. I really need to read up on it more.

Anyway, I guess I could always plug one of my SVS subs into my new system after I've listened to it for awhile, just to see if the sound is enhanced. One good thing about not needing a sub is it would give me a couple thousand dollars to spend on something else.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello there, and congrats on your Harbeths! I really feel you will love them. I think you should probably try them first in your room before you purchase a sub. In my case, I did go on to purchase a REL T-5 just to add that final little bit on the bottom end. I do love what the REL added to my system.
    Main Listening System
    Harbeth SHL5, REL T-5, Odyssey Audio Khartago Monoblock SE, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE, Sony XA20-ES, Oppo BDP 105, Skylan stands, Nordost Heimdall II, Shunyata Research Hydra, Audioquest CV-8 speaker cables

Office System
    NHT Super Ones, Exposure 2010S2, Cambridge Audio 840C, Audioquest Type 4

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,
    I have 7Es3 which I love. at one point I was considering the Harbeth Super HL 5+, but after close auditioning I found the high notes from the Twitter to be too harsh. I listen to progressive rock music and classic rock - not "audiophile" material...
    is Harbeth Super HL 5+ Anniversary model speakers better or any different in that field?
    thank you!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Joe

Misho Myronov Wooden Amp and Wooden preamp, AkitikA GT-102 power amplifier, Valvet E2, Avantgarde Duo XD, First Watt SIT-3, Luxman MQ-300, Job INTegrated, Job 250 Monos, Cary 300B SE, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber Kables, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables, Burmester 948, Linear Tube Audio MZ2, Bricasti M1SE, Naim Supernait 2, Lumin U1 mini, McIntosh MCLK12, Conrad Johnson GAT2, Pass Labs XA25.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boazrush View Post
    Hello,
    I have 7Es3 which I love. at one point I was considering the Harbeth Super HL 5+, but after close auditioning I found the high notes from the Twitter to be too harsh. I listen to progressive rock music and classic rock - not "audiophile" material...
    is Harbeth Super HL 5+ Anniversary model speakers better or any different in that field?
    thank you!
    I have no experience of the standard SHL5+ but to my ears the tweeter on the SHL5+ Anniversary is not harsh at all. It certainly sounds smoother to my ears than my memory of the tweeter on the SHL5, the version before the SHL5+. I think the treble range on the SHL5+ Anniversary is beautifully voiced, neither too much nor too little sparkle and with excellent resolution. Of course bright and aggressive recordings will still sound bright and aggressive but in my experience not to the extent that such recordings become unlistenable
    Lumin A1 / Crayon Audio CIA-1T / Soundkaos Wave 40 or Harbeth SHL5+ 40th Anniversary

8. Likes Mike liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2