Arc ref160s
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Arc ref160s

Post Thanks / Like

Arc ref160s

REF160S Stereo Power Amplifier
    MAPLE GROVE, MN – MAY, 9th 2019 Audio Research is pleased to announce the launch of the Reference 160S stereo power amplifier. The new product distills the astonishing resolution, dynamic impact, musical purity and finesse of the 160M into one beautiful and attainable chassis designed for the music lover in all of us.

Following the example of the internationally-acclaimed 160M monaural power amplifier introduced in 2018, the Reference 160S (REF160S) is a vacuum-tube design with dual transparent power meters that float in front of the eight KT150 output power tubes.

PRODUCT WILL START SHIPPING Q3 2019

Product Details:

• Weight: 100 Lbs
    • Depth: 21.5”
    • Power Rating: 140 WPC
    • 2 Rear Handles (for increased mobility)

Mike

2. Thanks Alpinist, Oly, Mike thanked for this post
    Likes Alpinist, Nikhil, Dguitarnut, Mike liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Arc ref160s

Very nice! I wonder if it will have a Triode setting like the monos. I don’t see it mentioned.
    Joe

Misho Myronov Wooden Amp and Wooden preamp, AkitikA GT-102 power amplifier, Valvet E2, Avantgarde Duo XD, McIntosh MC303, First Watt SIT-3, Luxman MQ-300, Job INTegrated, Job 250 Monos, Cary 300B SE, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber Kables, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables, Burmester 948, Linear Tube Audio MZ2, Bricasti M1SE, Naim Supernait 2, Lumin U1 mini, McIntosh MCLK12, Conrad Johnson GAT2, Pass Labs XA25.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Very nice! I wonder if it will have a Triode setting like the monos. I don’t see it mentioned.
    The button on the right side of the face is labeled Ultralinear/Triode in the picture above.
    Buddy

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Buddy. I had difficulty reading the labels.
    Joe

Misho Myronov Wooden Amp and Wooden preamp, AkitikA GT-102 power amplifier, Valvet E2, Avantgarde Duo XD, McIntosh MC303, First Watt SIT-3, Luxman MQ-300, Job INTegrated, Job 250 Monos, Cary 300B SE, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber Kables, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables, Burmester 948, Linear Tube Audio MZ2, Bricasti M1SE, Naim Supernait 2, Lumin U1 mini, McIntosh MCLK12, Conrad Johnson GAT2, Pass Labs XA25.

Post Thanks / Like

the monos are awesome and i'm sure this is right there with them.
    Aurender N100H > Cary DAC 200ts > Audio Research Ref 6
    SoundField 1812 Quintessential
    Additional Rhythmik 15s for the neighbors....

7. Likes joeinid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wish my Vac 200IQ was that pretty! Wow.
    Odd how they only squeeze out 140w/pc with 8 kt150s while the Vac gets 100w/pc with only 4 kt150s. Are the Vacs driven that much harder and the tubes life will be shorter?
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dguitarnut View Post
    Odd how they only squeeze out 140w/pc with 8 kt150s while the Vac gets 100w/pc with only 4 kt150s. Are the Vacs driven that much harder and the tubes life will be shorter?
    It's prettier than my excellent Octave RE 320 too, potential sound differences aside. The Octave does 130 W/ch with two KT 150 per channel, it's pentode class A/B. Perhaps the Ref 160 is more class A(ish).

I don't think the tube life is shorter in my A/B circuit; if anything, the tubes in the Octave have the chance to live particularly long because of a sophisticated soft start feature which over two minutes brings the tubes slowly up to operating conditions. The amp has also a great protective circuitry, which has kicked in twice now (due to my own stupidity, not because something would have been wrong with the amp).
    Simaudio Moon Neo 260 DT CD Transport / MIT SL-Matrix Plus AES/EBU digital cable / Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC / Tripp Lite 1000HG isolation transformer (only digital front end) / Octave HP 700 preamp / Octave RE 320 stereo amp with Super Black Box / Reference 3A Reflector monitors on Sound Anchors Signature Stands / dual JL Audio Fathom 112 v2 subwoofers on ASC SubTraps / ZenWave Audio D4 and SMSG cables / Acoustic treatment: tube traps, Tri-panels, window plugs, ceiling diffusers (all ASC), large absorbing panels (Acoustics First), diverse carpets chosen for acoustic properties: wool, polypropylene basket-weave

10. Thanks joeinid thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All business, I love it in black!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Power Conditioning, Filters & Switch: Nordost QRT Power Product Line, Furutech GTX-D NCF/GTX 105D, 20 AMP Dedicated w/Surge Protection, AQVox SE switch, Keces LPS P3 & P8 w/Nordost AC power and Ghent DC cables for the Gigafoil v4, modem, routers and switches.
    Cables, Isolation, Room Treatment: Nordost Supreme Reference (Odin) Distribution, Reference Line (Valhalla 2) Components and Speakers, HRS M3X Platforms & Damping Plates. Stillpoint’s Ultra 6/SS and Vicoustic Room Treatments
    Power & Sound: D’Agostino Pre-Amplifier to D’Agostino Momentum Mono’s driving Wilson Alexia’s
    Source and Digital: Aurender N10, Brinkmann Nyquist MKII

12. Likes Sharp 2160 liked this post
    Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! Very pretty. Beats the heck out of the old REF150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, Keces Power Supplies, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SRA, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

14. Likes bzr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dguitarnut View Post
    The 200iQ is designed for KT88s. You can use KT150s, but won’t get more power. It’s not optimized for KT150s.
    Analog source: AMG Viella 12; Ortofon Anna cartridge
    Digital source: Totaldac d1-seven DAC, Totaldac d1-server with Gigafilter
    Pre amp: VAC Master with phono
    Phonostage: ​Constellation Andromeda
    Amps: VAC 200iQ monoblocks
    Speakers: Magico M3 with MPods
    Cables: Synergistic Research Galileo
    Power products: Synergistic Research Power Cell 12 UEF and Transporter Ultra. Galileo power cords.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast