New Flat Screen
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Flat Screen

Post Thanks / Like

New Flat Screen

Finishing up on a major remodel to my home and will need a wide screen TV in the 50" to 75" range to mount on the living room wall I set up for hidden power and signal cables.

Any recommendations would be welcome.

BTW- If you've never tried an upgraded power cord for your high definition TV, I suggest you tried one. Based on John McDonald's recommendation, I put an Audience f3 PC on my 10 year old Samsung 50" plasma, and was surprised by the improvement. ;-)
    Dan

Definition of a committee: The unwilling selected from the unfit to do the unnecessary for the ungrateful.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Flat Screen

Hi Dan, I'm not sure the current models, I've been impressed with my Sony 75". I don't think you'd go wrong with either Sony or Samsung for top picture quality.
    Aurender ACS10 w/AQ Diamond,
    Mark Levinson #526 & 532h, JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    All Clarus Crimson cabling, AC to binding post. Surgex
    HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Post Thanks / Like

Just picked up a Samsung Q8 after a recent relocation and love it. Rich colors and great blacks. Nice TV.
    Morgan

Post Thanks / Like

my understanding is that the sony a9 (or a8 for bang for the buck) are sublime
    Aurender N100H > Cary DAC 200ts > Audio Research Ref 6
    SoundField 1812 Quintessential
    Additional Rhythmik 15s for the neighbors....

Post Thanks / Like

I just got a 75 inch Sony Z9F. It is great. I got the LED version because I have a bright room. If the room was darker I would have purchased the A9F (which is OLED).

One cool thing with these TV's is the new feature that auto calibrates the picture with Netflix. It looks fantastic... like as perfect as I could ask 4k to be. Some reviews out there mention the Z9F does not have the level of contrast that would be expected at the top level of Sony's line, but it has not bothered me one bit.
    Jeremy

Speakers: Magico S3 MkII
    Power Amp: VAC 200iQ (stereo)
    Source/DAC/Preamplifier: MSB Reference DAC (Femto 77 / Dual Powerbase)
    Power: Shunyata Triton V3 / Shunyata Typhon QR / AQ NRG 20 Outlet / Dedicated 20 amp circuit
    -------------
    Power Cables: AQ Dragons to components / AQ Hurricane to Typhon QR
    Speaker Cables: MIT Heritage MI 2C3D - Level 1
    Interconnects: MIT Heritage MI 2C3D - Level 1 (XLR)
    Ethernet: AQ Vodka > Aqvox SE > AQ Diamond > MSB Reference DAC
    Racks: Critical Mass Sotto Voce with Black Platinum shelves

Post Thanks / Like

Just ordered 77" A9G Sony OLED replacing 70" Elite ( Pioneer Elite replacement) . Your comments make me nervous as it will hang in a bright room although I can close the shades. The one thing that bothered me about the Elite was the high gloss glass that was so reflective I can not have lights on behind me because that all I'll see. Hopefully the OLED is more of a matte finish
    System #1................................................ System #2

ROON Nucleus + server ...............................SME 20/3A
    MSB Premier DAC / V2 Renderer ...................SME V arm
    VAC Signature MkII SE Preamp .....................Dynavector TE Kaitora Rua
    Aesthetix Altas Signature Stereo Amp.......... Sutherland current gain phono stage prototype now called Phono loco
    Wilson Audio Sasha II................................ Aesthetix Romulus Signature
    REL G1 Mk II (pair) Subs............................ Bryston BDP2
    Transparent Audio Gen 5 Reference........... T+A PA3000HV Integrated
    .................................................. ...............Vienna Acoustic Liszt
    .................................................. ...............Audience Front Row

7. Likes Mike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billt1 View Post
    Just ordered 77" A9G Sony OLED replacing 70" Elite ( Pioneer Elite replacement) . Your comments make me nervous as it will hang in a bright room although I can close the shades. The one thing that bothered me about the Elite was the high gloss glass that was so reflective I can not have lights on behind me because that all I'll see. Hopefully the OLED is more of a matte finish
    Interesting as I have the 70' Elite now and am interested in the A9G 77"....looking forward to your impressions when the SONY arrives.

9. Likes Billt1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billt1 View Post
    ok had it about a week now, Yes worth moving from Elite 70" which is still an amazing TV ( gave to my Mom) . Besides all the advantage of 4k VS 1080P the greatest benefit is the screen is not so reflective. We have a very bright living room and the Elite was hard to watch during the day because of reflections from the windows. The sound from the Elite was terrible and absolutely necessitated the addition of external audio. Surprisingly the Sony A9G sounds very good on its own. We have an advanced home theater which is the preference obviously, but for normal TV watching its ok to listen to

Aesthetix Altas Signature Stereo Amp.......... Sutherland current gain phono stage prototype now called Phono loco
    Wilson Audio Sasha II................................ Aesthetix Romulus Signature
    .................................................. ...............Vienna Acoustic Liszt
    .................................................. ...............Audience Front Row

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Billt1

Did you mount the Sony on the wall?
    If so what mount did u use and any issues?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsrule View Post
    Hi Billt1

Did you mount the Sony on the wall?
    If so what mount did u use and any issues?
    Yes as was the Elite the Sony is wall mounted. I had to drop the wall mount about 6" from where the Elite was to give proper viewing height. The mounting holes ( I know there is a name for that) on the Sony are at the bottom of the TV where as the Elites mounting holes were in the middle of the TV . A Home theater company installed it and we used Chief ( or maybe Chieftain ) swivel mount to allow easy access to rear if ever needed.
    As with the Elite there are some calibration specs to be found on line. It's necessary, especially color saturation way too high as default

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast