Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

PS Audio Stellar Power Plant 3

I'm considering replacing my Monster HTPC 7000 with one of these. I'm currently connecting my streamer, dac and preamp to the HTPC 7000, which is what I would do with the regenerator. My power amps and speakers are plugged into dedicated 20A circuits (one for each channel).

Anyone have experience with this PS Audio device? Do you think I'd see any improvement with the PS Audio vs my current conditioner? The HTPC has a non-detachable power cord. I've been contemplating replacing it with a DIY cord, but don't want to do this if I'm going to trade it in.

I think my power is fairly clean. The pole transformer is right outside my house and looks like it feeds three houses, one of which has been unoccupied for a couple years. But we do have occasional lightning. Voltage varies between 122 and 124 (according to the display on my HTPC 7000).
    Main: SGC SonicTransporter i9 Optical, Sonore Signature Rendu SE, Denafrips Gaia, Denafrips Terminator Plus, DIY Preamp, DIY 300B PSET Monoblocks, DIY GR Research Line Force with dual 4-stack servo subs, PS Audio Power Plant 12, AQ Diamond USB, Tubulus Argentus i2s, Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR, DH Labs Red Wave and Power Plus PCs, Kimber Select KS-3035 speaker cable

2nd: Auralic Vega G2, DIY Purifi amp, GR-Research NX-Studio speakers.

HT: Marantz AV8802a, Sunfire Theater Grand, Revel Performa F50/C50, Epson 5050, Stewart 92" Firehawk G4

Extra: Schiit Yggdrasil A2, DIY FirstWatt F5 Turbo monoblocks, DIY Neurochrome Mod-286 monoblocks, DIY Purifi monoblocks, DIY Preamp. Revel F30, Totem Mani-2.

Re: PS Audio Stellar Power Plant 3

No one switch from a conditioner to a PS Audio Power Plant for source components?
    Main: SGC SonicTransporter i9 Optical, Sonore Signature Rendu SE, Denafrips Gaia, Denafrips Terminator Plus, DIY Preamp, DIY 300B PSET Monoblocks, DIY GR Research Line Force with dual 4-stack servo subs, PS Audio Power Plant 12, AQ Diamond USB, Tubulus Argentus i2s, Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR, DH Labs Red Wave and Power Plus PCs, Kimber Select KS-3035 speaker cable

HT: Marantz AV8802a, Sunfire Theater Grand, Revel Performa F50/C50, Epson 5050, Stewart 92" Firehawk G4

Extra: Schiit Yggdrasil A2, DIY FirstWatt F5 Turbo monoblocks, DIY Neurochrome Mod-286 monoblocks, DIY Purifi monoblocks, DIY Preamp. Revel F30, Totem Mani-2.

JayT

Several years ago I switched from a Shunyata Hydra conditioner to a PS Audio power plant. I found that the backgrounds got blacker and images were better defined. I've since upgraded two different times to get to the P20 Power plant I currently employ. These are well designed, effective enhancements. How they would compare to the latest conditioner technology I do not know. That said, I don't ever see me going back to a passive conditioner from the Power Plant.

Cincy
    Wadax Reference DAC and Server
    CH Precision L10 PreAmp
    CH Precision M10 Amplifier
    Rockport Orion speakers
    Nordost ODIN 2 speaker cables and interconnects
    StromTank 2500 Power Supply
    Shunyata Sigma QR power cords
    Shunyata Everest power conditioner
    Vicoustics Room Treatments

When I had the P10, things also got quieter in addition to what Cincy mentions above.

I also had my amps plugged in and one day tripped/reset the P10 do to power demand so ended up back at distribution.

I’m a fan of PS Audio, great products at good prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Thanks for the feedback. Have either of you (or anyone else) used the Power Plant just for front-end components (up through pre-amp) only, with power amps directly to the wall? It looks like you both have very revealing systems - do you think the improvements you've described would be noticeable on a lower-priced system.

My power conditioner may have been ok in its day, but it's now 20 years old (although it's been in storage for much of this time), so I would think a newer device should be noticeably better.

Quote Originally Posted by JayT View Post
    Have either of you (or anyone else) used the Power Plant just for front-end components (up through pre-amp) only, with power amps directly to the wall?
    Not exactly. At one time I used two separate smaller P5's - one for my amps and one for the front end. Each was plugged into a separate dedicated 20A circuit. I believe you would hear audible improvements in any system by cleaning up the input power.

Cincy
    Wadax Reference DAC and Server
    CH Precision L10 PreAmp
    CH Precision M10 Amplifier
    Rockport Orion speakers
    Nordost ODIN 2 speaker cables and interconnects
    StromTank 2500 Power Supply
    Shunyata Sigma QR power cords
    Shunyata Everest power conditioner
    Vicoustics Room Treatments

Hi JayT,
    I notice that you now have a power plant 3. Recently I experienced a PS-audio premier generator in my system and I expect a PS-Audio Stellar P3 and P15 for further evaluation. How did you experience the step between the older and newer series? I intend to use the P3 for my front gear (Trinnov, NAS, network components) and the P15 for the VACs. I am very curious to the improvements. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
    Best regards, Jan
    Jan

Dedicated room: Confidence Mansion
    Electronics: Trinnov Altitude32 | VAC Signature 200 IQ mono’s | Parasound Halo JC-1’s + A51 | Synology DS918+/DX517 (48TB) | Oppo BDP-105D / UDP-203 CM Stufe2
    Speakers: Von Schweikert VR10-MKII system | Dynaudio Confidence C4 | Velodyne DD-18
    Projection: JVC DLA-NX9 CM | Stewart 123” StudioTek 1.3 G3
    Various: Artesania Exoteryc 3L + Aire racks | Schnerzinger Emi + Giga Piccolo A3 | PS Audio Stellar Power Plant 3 | iPad Pro 12.9” (2018) | Roon
    Cables: AudioQuest Huricane EC | Nordost Frey speakercable | AudioQuest Diamond RJ/E | AudioQuest Diamond HDMI

Next week I will get both a P3 and P15 for a while to experience if there is an improvement in the performance of my system and if so what and how much. I will test the P3 on my front-end (Trinnov, Synology NAS, switch and router) and the P15 on my VACS. If the latter results in an significant improvement I will also try what happens when adding the front-end also to the P15. My Christmas holiday will be well spend. Hopefully I do not need to spend too much after the holiday. Will keep you informed about my experience(s)

Jan
    Jan

Electronics: Trinnov Altitude32 | VAC Signature 200 IQ mono’s | Parasound Halo JC-1’s + A51 | Synology DS918+/DX517 (48TB) | Oppo BDP-105D / UDP-203 CM Stufe2
    Speakers: Von Schweikert VR10-MKII system | Dynaudio Confidence C4 | Velodyne DD-18
    Various: Artesania Exoteryc 3L + Aire racks | Schnerzinger Emi + Giga Piccolo A3 | PS Audio Stellar Power Plant 3 | iPad Pro 12.9” (2018) | Roon
    Cables: AudioQuest Huricane EC | Nordost Frey speakercable | AudioQuest Diamond RJ/E | AudioQuest Diamond HDMI

The P3 stayed, the P15 returned to the distributor. A friend of my tried the same P15 in his situation and ordered a P20. So, it really depends on your own situation if regeneration works for your front-end and/or amplifiers.
    Jan

A ps audio regen conditioner makes a positive change. Most other conditioners may help but not to the level of there’s. How ever a digital audio dac s being the operative part one must listen and observe. I use mine for all except amps and TT s. Even my headphone amps yield better noise levels. The only draw back of them Asside of some dacs is grounding isolation. As they produce there own new power one must modify there internal grounding to achieve true ground isolation.
    TUBEZATOR

preamp ML26
    amps ML No.33
    Infinity IRS-V speakers with Xover redone by Arie Nudell.

Quote Originally Posted by Alrainbow View Post
    A ps audio regen conditioner makes a positive change. Most other conditioners may help but not to the level of there’s. How ever a digital audio dac s being the operative part one must listen and observe. I use mine for all except amps and TT s. Even my headphone amps yield better noise levels. The only draw back of them Asside of some dacs is grounding isolation. As they produce there own new power one must modify there internal grounding to achieve true ground isolation.
    Al, what do you mean by, “one must modify their internal grounding to achieve true ground isolation”?

Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Since the ps audio is a true regen it’s power is a new source and as such is not in phase or in anyway attached to the power grid in our homes.
    so if one intends to have a true isolation grounding system it needs to modified by removing the input to output ground bonding. In this was it’s now off the grid power in relation to ground achieving true ground isolation from your home.
    TUBEZATOR

preamp ML26
    amps ML No.33

Since the ps audio is a true regen it’s power is a new source and as such is not in phase or in anyway attached to the power grid in our homes.
    so if one intends to have a true isolation grounding system it needs to modified by removing the input to output ground bonding. In this was it’s now off the grid power in relation to ground achieving true ground isolation from your home.
    Al, are you saying the regenerator would need its own ground separate from the main ground of the home, like a direct earth connection?

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    Al, are you saying the regenerator would need its own ground separate from the main ground of the home, like a direct earth connection?
    I hope not.
    That's not permitted anywhere.
    and it's very dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post

yes exactly. The ground needs to be removed from the output side
    it’s simple done from inside. This allows the regen to be a true power plant on its own.
    All products fail on this simple need. Yes it’s not NEC code compliant and yes ima lisc electrical contractor and PE as well. But no matter what you do to power it’s always tied back to your power grid and home. If any of the products made just did as I post many ground hum and dynamics woujd be fixed. But this is just how I know it should be as I did for myself.
    TUBEZATOR

preamp ML26
    amps ML No.33

Quote Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
    I hope not.
    That's not permitted anywhere.
    and it's very dangerous.
    Really explain how it’s dangerous ? I’m curios
    TUBEZATOR

preamp ML26
    amps ML No.33

Really explain how it’s dangerous ? I’m curios
    Post a schematic of exactly what you are doing.
    the word 'ground' has way too many meanings.

in the US/CAN there is a:
    EGC system (Equipment Grounding Conductor) aka: Safety Ground
    GEC system (Grounding Electrode Conductor) the connection to Planet Earth (often ground rods)

Here look at attached it’s fast drawing don’t judge my drawing skills lol.
    TUBEZATOR

preamp ML26
    amps ML No.33

TUBEZATOR

preamp ML26
    amps ML No.33

TUBEZATOR

preamp ML26
    amps ML No.33

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0cOp...WTadpZFHcaJeng
    damn mike stop being so cheap on the upload file size hahaha just kidding
    TUBEZATOR

preamp ML26
    amps ML No.33

If you can follow my very bad drawing take not it’s still grounded but has only 1 ground path to follow. Unlike typical homes thst have many this in a big way causes ground loops.
    also note it’s still grounded. but the ground is not tied to the ground plain of ur home.
    TUBEZATOR

preamp ML26
    amps ML No.33

Thanks, that turned out to be a bigger challenge then either of us expected.
    208 Volts, is this part of a 3 phase power system?
    from an old Middle Atlantic white paper:

also from that paper:

Middle Atlantic on Ground Myths

Myth #1) An “Isolated Ground” system is not connected to ground.
    MYTH BUSTED! “Isolated ground” systems connect to “ground” at the neutral-ground bond point in the main circuit panel, and must be insulated from any other ground connections. If equipment is mounted in a rack, to conductive rack rails, the rack itself must also be insulated from any other grounds, including concrete or conduit, to function as designed.
    Myth #2) A supplemental (auxiliary) ground rod is a place where “noise” wants to go.
    MYTH BUSTED! Noise will always flow back to the source; noise does not want to flow to earth. In addition, the NEC mandates that any supplemental (auxiliary) ground rod be bonded to the neutral-ground bond of a separately derived system, the main service neutral-ground bond or the grounding electrode system. Improper bonding of a supplemental (auxiliary) ground rod is dangerous! Any attempt to use a supplemental (auxiliary) ground rod as a magical sink for “noise” will most likely fail, and result in circulating currents flowing in the ground wires, most likely
    Myth #3) The earth’s soil is an effective safety grounding point.
    MYTH BUSTED! Earth ground is not a substitute for safety ground. Driving independent, un-bonded ground rods into the earth does not provide a low enough impedance to trip circuit breakers, is a violation of the National Electrical Code, and can be life threatening when used as a safety ground.

Myth #4) More grounds = quieter systems.
    MYTH BUSTED! Ground only where required for safety. Any additional grounds may provide or create additional paths for ground loops and increase system noise.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes
    but it does not have to be as I showed it.
    a iso of 120 in and 120 out is still isolated
    but we all suffer from sign wave distortion. Some call this dc on the lines.
    I’ll post more later.
    For now am I still dangerous lol.
    TUBEZATOR

preamp ML26
    amps ML No.33

Three phase to single phase often has additional problems.
    for a permanently installed big isolation transformer, a 240V or 208V primary is a better plan.
    much of that 'sign wave distortion' is generated by the audio amplifier.
    the so called 'DC offset' is actually asymmetry of AC power wave.
    it's only a problem when the line voltage is higher than the component design voltage or the power transformer was poorly chosen.

To be honest dc or sign wave distortion is a big issue in audio but more so in post amps having a larger then 500 watt. The reason for the sizing is due to its inherent higher a resistance of the windings.
    what the distortion. Does is saturate the core making it loose it’s power to the amp.
    now there are products made to block dc but these limit the current. A iso like I depicted is a both phases of a typical power used in most all homes.
    Nutrick and others make such a iso transformer. It’s called a balanced iso transformer. Now this effectively greatly lowers the input distortion. The reason it does is cause most dc offset is based in our homes from switching psu
    heavy resistive loads that switch on and off. While there can be some phase to phase distortion it’s far less likely
    so when we use a balanced input iso scheme. This does a few great things for audio.
    1- it lowers dc offset
    2- lowers common mode noise on the lines again from sw psu , dimmers
    many in home appliances.
    3- of the ground is isolated as I showed it yields only one ground path.
    now it’s true some of our audio products do produce noise it’s true
    but the addition of a noise filter board using a capacitor and choke designed to be active at the high frequency noise produced and a good one works on more then one freq so it works on base and harmonic frequencies.
    I’m in no way laying claim we all need this. And ps audio makes very good power products.
    laslty if I gone way into the weeds here I’ll say I’m sorry now and I mean it.
    TUBEZATOR

preamp ML26
    amps ML No.33

To be honest dc or sign wave distortion is a big issue in audio but more so in post amps having a larger then 500 watt. The reason for the sizing is due to its inherent higher a resistance of the windings.
    what the distortion. Does is saturate the core making it loose it’s power to the amp.
    now there are products made to block dc but these limit the current. A iso like I depicted is a both phases of a typical power used in most all homes.
    Nutrick and others make such a iso transformer. It’s called a balanced iso transformer. Now this effectively greatly lowers the input distortion. The reason it does is cause most dc offset is based in our homes from switching psu
    heavy resistive loads that switch on and off. While there can be some phase to phase distortion it’s far less likely
    so when we use a balanced input iso scheme. This does a few great things for audio.
    1- it lowers dc offset
    2- lowers common mode noise on the lines again from sw psu , dimmers
    many in home appliances.
    3- of the ground is isolated as I showed it yields only one ground path.
    now it’s true some of our audio products do produce noise it’s true
    but the addition of a noise filter board using a capacitor and choke designed to be active at the high frequency noise produced and a good one works on more then one freq so it works on base and harmonic frequencies.
    I’m in no way laying claim we all need this. And ps audio makes very good power products.
    laslty if I gone way into the weeds here I’ll say I’m sorry now and I mean it.
    Al, your sounding like Rex PS Audio Stellar Power Plant 3

It's just not that complicated.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Who do you think told him what to do Hahahaha Rex sounds like me ��
    TUBEZATOR

preamp ML26
    amps ML No.33

Who do you think told him what to do Hahahaha Rex sounds like me í*½í¸‚
    Great now I get to read you and hear him PS Audio Stellar Power Plant 3

HAHAHAS it’s all good in the end
    TUBEZATOR

preamp ML26
    amps ML No.33

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

PS Audio Stellar Power Plant 3