Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Audioshark

Gryphon Mojo S Review

https://www.soundstageultra.com/inde...s-loudspeakers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: Gryphon Mojo S Review

Does anyone have any experience of these? Any owners out there who can describe their virtues/drawbacks? My room is 12' x 24' and I'm on the cusp of getting a pair in for demo' on my Diablo 300 - which may change to Essence pre/power next year. Pantheons had too much bass emphasis - not boom, just a bass that seemed disconnected from the rest of the spectrum and drew attention from it. Lastly, do orange ones sound better than black ones?

Quote Originally Posted by eagle3333 View Post
    Does anyone have any experience of these? Any owners out there who can describe their virtues/drawbacks? My room is 12' x 24' and I'm on the cusp of getting a pair in for demo' on my Diablo 300 - which may change to Essence pre/power next year. Pantheons had too much bass emphasis - not boom, just a bass that seemed disconnected from the rest of the spectrum and drew attention from it. Lastly, do orange ones sound better than black ones?
    I have.
    These are some of the best speakers in the world! For not very large rooms. And these are not completely shelf speakers. These are full speakers.
    With the Diablo 300 it's almost an ideal tandem!
    Be sure to listen!

Diablo 300.
    But it is Pantheon's sound)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zjRMSJcjN0&t=187s

Super Moderator

Thank you for posting.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Thanks TP. Couple questions for you. I had the Pantheons for a week. The Mojo has the same mid-range set up. I found the tweeters could be a bit hot compared to Esotar 2 in my Dynaudio Contour 60's. Any observations? Otherwise detail, separation and realisation were staggering. But, per above, I also found the bass a bit spotlit and separated - do you find this with Mojo? Lastly, I found Pantheon's presentation to be incredibly dense; very full-bodied 'in the air'. I've read of this with Mojo in some reviews. It's what people tend to mention when they're saying how they sound more like floorstanders. But I found this to be a bit wearing on my ears after an hour. The Dyn's I can listen to for hours with no issues. But they don't put the musicians in front of me the way Pantheon did and I expect Mojo would. Do you get fatigued? I tried new Confidence 30 but I think the 300 is voiced to match Gryphon's speaker topology because the Pantheon was dynamic in a way the Confidence wasn't. Latter didn't wear me out though.. Thanks a lot.

This is a signature feature of crossover tuning, when the bass is a little detached.
    In all speakers Gryphon. This feature of the fourth order.
    I know this since I own Trident speakers.

I was at the Gryphon factory and talked there with an engineer who does crossover tuning.
    In general, this is Duelund's legacy!

Mojo's sound signature is the same as the Pantheon.
    As Rasmussen said, he does not make bookshelf speakers, he makes speakers that are designed exclusively for your room size!

Tweeter (AMT) is more airy than Esotar2. There are more details in the sound. More scene depth. There is a clear localization of musical instruments.
    Esotar2 is a great driver. Here the high frequencies are more dense. This is the main plus!

I did not listen to Confidence 30. But I make a test of the new Confidence 20. There is already a new Esotar 3. You can compare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2pJ6GzdxHE

By the way, in a week I will be at the Dynaudio factory. Then I can post my report here.

Thanks TP. Couple questions for you. I had the Pantheons for a week. The Mojo has the same mid-range set up. I found the tweeters could be a bit hot compared to Esotar 2 in my Dynaudio Contour 60's. Any observations? Otherwise detail, separation and realisation were staggering. But, per above, I also found the bass a bit spotlit and separated - do you find this with Mojo? Lastly, I found Pantheon's presentation to be incredibly dense; very full-bodied 'in the air'. I've read of this with Mojo in some reviews. It's what people tend to mention when they're saying how they sound more like floorstanders. But I found this to be a bit wearing on my ears after an hour. The Dyn's I can listen to for hours with no issues. But they don't put the musicians in front of me the way Pantheon did and I expect Mojo would. Do you get fatigued? I tried new Confidence 30 but I think the 300 is voiced to match Gryphon's speaker topology because the Pantheon was dynamic in a way the Confidence wasn't. Latter didn't wear me out though.. Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalPie View Post
    This is a signature feature of crossover tuning, when the bass is a little detached.
    In all speakers Gryphon. This feature of the fourth order.
    I know this since I own Trident speakers.

I was at the Gryphon factory and talked there with an engineer who does crossover tuning.
    In general, this is Duelund's legacy!

Mojo's sound signature is the same as the Pantheon.
    As Rasmussen said, he does not make bookshelf speakers, he makes speakers that are designed exclusively for your room size!

Tweeter (AMT) is more airy than Esotar2. There are more details in the sound. More scene depth. There is a clear localization of musical instruments.
    Esotar2 is a great driver. Here the high frequencies are more dense. This is the main plus!

I did not listen to Confidence 30. But I make a test of the new Confidence 20. There is already a new Esotar 3. You can compare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2pJ6GzdxHE

By the way, in a week I will be at the Dynaudio factory. Then I can post my report here.

Thanks very much for the observations TP. On the bass - it's good to know I'm not going mad! The denseness may be too dense for my ears! It's a great sadness for me that I have tinnitus following ear syringing by a vicious nurse and my ears are super-sensitive; though my hearing is exceptionally good. I'll be very interested to read your thoughts on the Confidence 30 or 50. I will buy Mojo S or one of these. I find with Dynaudio I have to play at loud volume before they really shine and engage me, emotionally. I believe this is a Dyn' trait.

Yes you are right!
    The speakers of Dynaudio always sounded great at high volume. And for this, a powerful amplifier was needed.
    At Moscow audio shows (for example), the distributor often connected Ayon Audio to Dynaudio. The sound was always muddy!
    But the new speakers (I think so) have changed that. The main thing is to choose the right amplifier!
    But Dynaudio is not a Gryphon.
    Gryphon is a real author’s audio project and an author’s vision of sound reproduction.
    It’s like the violins of the great Italian masters!
    Alex

Thanks very much for the observations TP. On the bass - it's good to know I'm not going mad! The denseness may be too dense for my ears! It's a great sadness for me that I have tinnitus following ear syringing by a vicious nurse and my ears are super-sensitive; though my hearing is exceptionally good. I'll be very interested to read your thoughts on the Confidence 30 or 50. I will buy Mojo S or one of these. I find with Dynaudio I have to play at loud volume before they really shine and engage me, emotionally. I believe this is a Dyn' trait.

Thank you again, Alex. It’s quite inspiring to hear your passion for Gryphon! I’ll trial Mojo S in a couple weeks and hope very much the sound works for me. I’m using Naim Super Lumina speaker cable - legacy from the old days. It’s low capacitance as required by Gryphon. But do you think Nordost Valhalla 2 would be significantly better? Or Gryphon's own cables? What do you use? Ian

No problem Ian, ask any questions.
    Valhalla 2 is a cool cable, but I always had questions about reproducing low frequencies on it. The bass there is accurate, but dry and not quite detailed (only relative to the Gryphon speakers). I highly recommend using Argento Audio Flow! Or Argento Serenity (a little cheaper in price, but not in sound). I tried a lot of cables and eventually settled on this small Danish company. You can also try MIT or Transparent. I don’t really like Gryphon cables. Alex

Thank you again, Alex. It’s quite inspiring to hear your passion for Gryphon! I’ll trial Mojo S in a couple weeks and hope very much the sound works for me. I’m using Naim Super Lumina speaker cable - legacy from the old days. It’s low capacitance as required by Gryphon. But do you think Nordost Valhalla 2 would be significantly better? Or Gryphon's own cables? What do you use? Ian

No problem Ian, ask any questions.
    Valhalla 2 is a cool cable, but I always had questions about reproducing low frequencies on it. The bass there is accurate, but dry and not quite detailed (only relative to the Gryphon speakers). I highly recommend using Argento Audio Flow! Or Argento Serenity (a little cheaper in price, but not in sound). I tried a lot of cables and eventually settled on this small Danish company. You can also try MIT or Transparent. I don’t really like Gryphon cables. Alex
    Thanks again, Alex. I'll do some research! I'm also quite interested to hear the new Essence pre/power next year. i'm very curious to know what will be the measure of improvement over my 300. I'll come back and report when I've auditioned the Mojo S.

Mojo S arriving in 2 days for home demo Are you at Dynaudio, Alex?

They’re set up and breaking in. Gryphon say 100hrs. I’ll get 50 on them using 18hr days of Nirvana. My two worries are gone though - bass is integrated and sound density is not overwhelming. I’ve hugely improved my mains and power cabling since demoing the Pantheons and think this is playing a big part. Female vocals are already a big leap up on the Dyns. Significantly more emotionally engaging. Much faster with less overhang. Less airy than Dyns though with less sense of the recording space - must be a break-in thing. No more comments until I’ve got 50hrs on them.
    Last edited by eagle3333; September 2, 2019 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Update

Hi Ian!
    I just returned from Denmark.
    Now I'm preparing photo-video.
    How is Mojo there?

Mojo S arriving in 2 days for home demo Are you at Dynaudio, Alex?

Hi Alex, I’m much looking forward to your thoughts. I wonder if you heard much of the Confidence 30?
    The Mojos are still breaking in. But, just now they don’t sound like any ‘monitor’ I’ve heard before, as you said. Bass is chest-thumping and big-Image. There’s more slam and weight than from my Contour 60 and their two dedicated bass drivers. The shape of notes in mids and highs is more detailed and textured and presentation is significantly more liquid flowing and cohesive. Vocals are beautiful and in the room. Transients are very fast; they make the Dyns sound slow and overhanging. But I think that’s also the price of a 3-way design. Must also say the Mojo's are twice the cost of the Dyns so you'd expect improvements..

Unlike the Dyns they don’t need to be played loud. But they will. My one reservation is that, as they open out with break-in, I find the incredible presence they give to music a little bit heavy for my listening preferences when it comes to a listening session over a couple of hrs. Similar to but much less than when I demo'd Pantheon. (Likely because I found my power needed a lot of attention - dedicated 10mm lines and simple Audioquest NRG4 leads revolutionized the sound). It may, now, be the body given by my Mirus pro dac that is making things a bit too weighty. I tried a Chord Dave recently and the sound ‘thinned’ a little compared to Mirus. Perhaps I should try it or the Gryphon dac. Or it might be room resonances. One thing’s clear, though, Gryphon amps like Gryphon speakers. A much faster, more emotionally engaging, dynamic sound than with Dyn, which didn't exhibit a lack of these with Naim ampification. There’s a surprise! 2 more long break-in days and then we listen properly.

Yes you are right!
    Gryphon is a real author’s audio project and an author’s vision of sound reproduction.
    It’s like the violins of the great Italian masters!
    Alex
    Agree, Alex.... and love your reference to Gryphon founder Flemming Rasmussen!

Hi Ian!
    Yes, I listened to all the Confidence models.
    I really liked all the models, especially 60!
    I'm doing a video report about a trip to the factory. And it takes a lot of time. A photo and video material is a lot. In my report there will be high-quality recordings on the Shure microphone!
    A little later I will write in detail about Confidence 30!
    Alex

Hi Alex, I’m much looking forward to your thoughts. I wonder if you heard much of the Confidence 30?
    The Mojos are still breaking in. But, just now they don’t sound like any ‘monitor’ I’ve heard before, as you said. Bass is chest-thumping and big-Image. There’s more slam and weight than from my Contour 60 and their two dedicated bass drivers. The shape of notes in mids and highs is more detailed and textured and presentation is significantly more liquid flowing and cohesive. Vocals are beautiful and in the room. Transients are very fast; they make the Dyns sound slow and overhanging. But I think that’s also the price of a 3-way design. Must also say the Mojo's are twice the cost of the Dyns so you'd expect improvements..

Unlike the Dyns they don’t need to be played loud. But they will. My one reservation is that, as they open out with break-in, I find the incredible presence they give to music a little bit heavy for my listening preferences when it comes to a listening session over a couple of hrs. Similar to but much less than when I demo'd Pantheon. (Likely because I found my power needed a lot of attention - dedicated 10mm lines and simple Audioquest NRG4 leads revolutionized the sound). It may, now, be the body given by my Mirus pro dac that is making things a bit too weighty. I tried a Chord Dave recently and the sound ‘thinned’ a little compared to Mirus. Perhaps I should try it or the Gryphon dac. Or it might be room resonances. One thing’s clear, though, Gryphon amps like Gryphon speakers. A much faster, more emotionally engaging, dynamic sound than with Dyn, which didn't exhibit a lack of these with Naim ampification. There’s a surprise! 2 more long break-in days and then we listen properly.

Attached Images Attached Images

Excellent Alex! These are the baffle, curved tweeter section and hex thing behind the tweeter. Much look forward to hearing your thoughts. The Mojo is really stunning for getting every piece of information out of the recording. It’s very fast and totally changes the timing of sounds compared to Contour. In a good way. Very true to a live performance with no frequency hikes for added but fake performance. The bass also incredible for its size. But I find that unless I play a little louder it can sound a bit boxey. Not as big a stage as Contour. Maybe because Mojo isn’t fully broken in - maybe 40hrs so far. Or because it is a small box and not a big floorstander. Still outperforms it’s size though. And the materialisation is so strong it can still be a little fatiguing in long sessions. Confidence isn’t like that but I fear it won’t have the same speed as Mojo. Contours overhang on notes is quite beautiful but lacks dynamism in music that should excite. Confidence brings the musicians into the room more. I guess if I really want to know I need to get the 30’s back in for another demo. What I would love to know from you is difference between 30 and 50. I could maybe stretch to 50 if there was more resolution in the lower frequencies. I found the 30 a bit too light in this area. The 50 is just a few hz lower than 30 and I’m surprised the cabinet is slimmer - but taller. Main question is does the 50 give more body than the 30? Thanks!!

Hi Ian, how is Mojo?
    Are there any changes in the sound?

Dynaudio Confidence 50 and 60 I liked more than 30!
    30 gave a clamped sound and did not show volume at low frequencies. There was also no sound volume in female and male vocals. Perhaps the whole thing is in amplifiers (Sim Audio), which did not fit specifically to the 30 model. At the same time, the tandem with 50 and 60 was great! In my opinion, it makes sense to buy 50. This is a high-level speaker for many years!

Hi Alex, thanks so much for those excellent observations. I thought the 50 might be more serious. Mojo has opened out. Until yesterday though I thought the highs a bit too hot. Then had idea to reduce volume from my dac from -4db to -10db. Problem solved and soundstage much more expansive. These perform miracles for their size. I think I’m going to go for them! Where can I see your videos?

I find the Mojo bass is more realistic of a live performance and 'present' than in the 30's. Does it have more presence in the 50? Or does it, again, give way to the midrange?

Hi Ian!
    Sorry for late answer.
    I also do audio journalism in Russia. Therefore, before I had time to come from Denmark, I was already at a conference dedicated to the seventieth anniversary of the Mcintosh company). Where, by the way, the company Sonus Faber has introduced an updated line of speakers Olympica Nova! The sound of which I did not like at all)))
    I'm glad Mojo opened up!
    Confidence 50 has a very deep and thick bass. But for the sound to be at a high level, the room must fit the size of the speakers. I myself do not really like powerful bass, I more like high-quality bass. Correct and well structured. Even if it will not be too powerful. And I think that Confidence 50 is still more universal. Both for cinema and for music. But this is just my opinion!

I’ll finish the video on the Dynaudio factory soon. And publish in the section where all the events in the world of audio.
    Alex

Hi Alex, thanks so much for those excellent observations. I thought the 50 might be more serious. Mojo has opened out. Until yesterday though I thought the highs a bit too hot. Then had idea to reduce volume from my dac from -4db to -10db. Problem solved and soundstage much more expansive. These perform miracles for their size. I think I’m going to go for them! Where can I see your videos?

I find the Mojo bass is more realistic of a live performance and 'present' than in the 30's. Does it have more presence in the 50? Or does it, again, give way to the midrange?

Hi Alex, interesting SF using string cords in the front like Gryphon! Have they always done that? Very cool that you get to these events and see all the latest kit.

I'm not sure about Mojo. I think I'm struggling with the AMT tweeter; just sounds a bit harsh and soundstage still a bit compressed. I've put the -.5db resistors in and they have helped quite a bit. Maybe they need a lot more run-in. Maybe I'm so used to the Contour 60 huge stage I'm expecting too much.

My room is 12' wide 24' long 8' high. Speakers are 5' off the short wall and I sit 6' from rear wall. Is the space too small for 50? The Contour 60 just about works without too much bass boom but I expect the Confidence bass to be much better controlled. That Esotar 3 is more 'gentle' than the AMT is right now.

Hi Ian!
    I read somewhere that the Gryphon bought this idea from Sonus Faber.
    Originally it was an Italian design idea.

Basically, your room is quite suitable for Confidence 50.
    The main thing is how it is processed acoustically!

AMT is a little hard twitter. But at the same time he is very airy, musical and detailed.
    I really like this sound at high frequencies.
    Have you made any decision on Mojo?
    Alex

P.S. Here by the way the reporting of Dynaudio!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uarOK6-I66o&t=1s

Hi Alex, interesting SF using string cords in the front like Gryphon! Have they always done that? Very cool that you get to these events and see all the latest kit.

I'm not sure about Mojo. I think I'm struggling with the AMT tweeter; just sounds a bit harsh and soundstage still a bit compressed. I've put the -.5db resistors in and they have helped quite a bit. Maybe they need a lot more run-in. Maybe I'm so used to the Contour 60 huge stage I'm expecting too much.

My room is 12' wide 24' long 8' high. Speakers are 5' off the short wall and I sit 6' from rear wall. Is the space too small for 50? The Contour 60 just about works without too much bass boom but I expect the Confidence bass to be much better controlled. That Esotar 3 is more 'gentle' than the AMT is right now.

Hi Alex, thanks and for the link. Great film! I’m a photographer and just getting into video. This is really nicely shot and put together. Look forward to no.2!

On your advice I got some Argento Serenity and it’s like a different speaker compared to the sound with the Naim cable; or Audioquest. Huge soundstage, very airy, very emotionally engaging. Almost euphoric. And no more brittle edges. But there is less detail and less separation of instruments. In some passages where the silver cable tells me exactly what is playing, the Argento is less informative; less defined. I don’t hear all the instruments but the overall sound is more melodic. I’d really like to have both! Will try some Jorma Unity cable and AQ Thunderbird. I’ve decided the 50 is out of reach but wonder if the Confidence 30 might better the Mojo?

Hi Ian!
    Thank you for your kind words!
    I also do photography.
    My first education is a cameraman.

Have you tested Serenity with Mojo?
    In principle, this cable should not hide details in music. It is considered to be both detailed and melodic.

Confidence 30 should be brought to our salon next week.
    I will listen to them carefully. It's hard for me to say better Mojo or better Confidence 30.
    I need to listen carefully to them together.
    Confidence 30 is completely different. Another twitter, another "character" in the music.

Dynaudio. No2.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjQiTkChc-Q&t=1s

Hi Alex, thanks and for the link. Great film! I’m a photographer and just getting into video. This is really nicely shot and put together. Look forward to no.2!

On your advice I got some Argento Serenity and it’s like a different speaker compared to the sound with the Naim cable; or Audioquest. Huge soundstage, very airy, very emotionally engaging. Almost euphoric. And no more brittle edges. But there is less detail and less separation of instruments. In some passages where the silver cable tells me exactly what is playing, the Argento is less informative; less defined. I don’t hear all the instruments but the overall sound is more melodic. I’d really like to have both! Will try some Jorma Unity cable and AQ Thunderbird. I’ve decided the 50 is out of reach but wonder if the Confidence 30 might better the Mojo?

Hi Alex - another great video. Excellent insight into Dynaudio. Maybe you should do same with Gryphon?!

Yes, after a while I came to much appreciate what Serenity did with the Mojo. It gave great smoothness, refinement and body to the sound It played very well at low volume; but became a little too 'thick' at higher volume. When I put the Naim cable back in it sounded more airy, neutral, faster but not quite so emotive. The greatest difference was soundstage with Serenity = huge; with Naim cable it shrank too small. What I really need is something right in the middle Naim's airiness and attack and Serenity's soundstage. This week I test AQ Thunderbird and Jorma.

Look forward to the 30 report. They'd have to be very, very good to push out the Mojo. I do wonder whether the 3-way design would enable greater coherence compared to Mojo's 2-way.

Hi Ian!
    Thank you for your kind words!
    I also do photography.
    My first education is a cameraman.

Have you tested Serenity with Mojo?
    In principle, this cable should not hide details in music. It is considered to be both detailed and melodic.

Confidence 30 should be brought to our salon next week.
    I will listen to them carefully. It's hard for me to say better Mojo or better Confidence 30.
    I need to listen carefully to them together.
    Confidence 30 is completely different. Another twitter, another "character" in the music.

Dynaudio. No2.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjQiTkChc-Q&t=1s

Hi Ian!
    Soon I’m going to the Kharma Audio factory!
    To the town of Breda, the Netherlands!
    You guessed it ... the tour to the Gryphon Audio Design is scheduled for early next year)

I know the cables from Jorma well.
    I often listened to them with Marten Audio speakers.
    But I don’t know how they will play with Gryphon Mojo.

In this competition, I bet on AQ)

Next week I am going to an exhibition in Warsaw.
    After that I will write about the Confidence 30 tests!
    Alex

P.S. Subscribe to my channel on YouTube) There are many interesting things)

Hi Alex - another great video. Excellent insight into Dynaudio. Maybe you should do same with Gryphon?!

Yes, after a while I came to much appreciate what Serenity did with the Mojo. It gave great smoothness, refinement and body to the sound It played very well at low volume; but became a little too 'thick' at higher volume. When I put the Naim cable back in it sounded more airy, neutral, faster but not quite so emotive. The greatest difference was soundstage with Serenity = huge; with Naim cable it shrank too small. What I really need is something right in the middle Naim's airiness and attack and Serenity's soundstage. This week I test AQ Thunderbird and Jorma.

Look forward to the 30 report. They'd have to be very, very good to push out the Mojo. I do wonder whether the 3-way design would enable greater coherence compared to Mojo's 2-way.

Hi Alex,

Another very nicely recorded video and I've now subscribed to your channel.

I'm still waiting for the AQ and Jorma. Next week, I think. I'll let you know what happens. I also think the new Essence amplification will give me the slightly softer edges I seek - Class A power. Look forward to hearing that next year. Perhaps you'll hear it at a show soon? Your video has got me thinking back to Pantheon for the bigger soundstage/extension/coherence, but at 12 feet wide, my room is just not quite wide enough, I think. If I move house, perhaps...

Enjoy Kharma!

Hi Ian!
    Soon I’m going to the Kharma Audio factory!
    To the town of Breda, the Netherlands!
    You guessed it ... the tour to the Gryphon Audio Design is scheduled for early next year)

I know the cables from Jorma well.
    I often listened to them with Marten Audio speakers.
    But I don’t know how they will play with Gryphon Mojo.

In this competition, I bet on AQ)

Next week I am going to an exhibition in Warsaw.
    After that I will write about the Confidence 30 tests!
    Alex

P.S. Subscribe to my channel on YouTube) There are many interesting things)

..oh - and I notice those 30's have subs in that picture! I'd rather buy 60's than a pair of top-end subs!

Audioshark

..oh - and I notice those 30's have subs in that picture! I'd rather buy 60's than a pair of top-end subs!
    With subs you can EQ and control the bass in the room. You can’t with the 60’s. Audiophiles aversion to subs is astonishing.

There is a reason the leading speaker manufacturers also make subs. It’s not for a deficiency in their speakers, it’s for a complete listening experience and control over the most difficult thing in a room: the bass.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Thanks for the comment, Mike. My remark comes from 1) a level of some ignorance and 2) a wish to minimise eqpt. I agree about 'control' re: bass.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    With subs you can EQ and control the bass in the room. You can’t with the 60’s. Audiophiles aversion to subs is astonishing.

There is a reason the leading speaker manufacturers also make subs. It’s not for a deficiency in their speakers, it’s for a complete listening experience and control over the most difficult thing in a room: the bass.

Thanks!
    I remember when, in 2016, Rune introduced the new Mojo.
    I recorded the video then)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xApNG6MuqC8&t=2s

Hi Alex,

Another very nicely recorded video and I've now subscribed to your channel.

I'm still waiting for the AQ and Jorma. Next week, I think. I'll let you know what happens. I also think the new Essence amplification will give me the slightly softer edges I seek - Class A power. Look forward to hearing that next year. Perhaps you'll hear it at a show soon? Your video has got me thinking back to Pantheon for the bigger soundstage/extension/coherence, but at 12 feet wide, my room is just not quite wide enough, I think. If I move house, perhaps...

Enjoy Kharma!

Too much, Alex! I wish I could have the Pantheons here. 12 feet just isn't quite wide enough for them and they dominate my lounge too much. Wonderful sound; great video and SQ again.

I have finished demoing Confidence 30 and Mojo side by side. Very interesting. The 30's are a really superb speaker. With Gryphon amplification I want Dyn' for classical and jazz and Mojo for everything else. So it's a really tough choice which to finally buy. The 30's convey size of space much more than Mojo and have a super smooth, refined sound; big stage. Glorious on string instruments. But the lower mid range and bass is slow and overhangs a bit - just like it does on my Contour 60's. This is perfect for, let's say, 'fast' amplification like Naim, but too sleepy with Gryphon. Mojo much faster, more slam, snap and dynamics; better on string and guitar instruments than Dyn. Slightly smaller stage but more air, less 'thickness' than Dyn. Dyn has no heat at top of treble; Mojo does - which I don't like. Cables are probably the answer. They won't speed-up the Dyns but they will give the Mojo more stage size and take some heat off the highest frequency. This is all I need to make Mojo perfect. The Argento Serenity achieved this but with a little too much thickness. I'm trying to get some Flow to try. No one seems to be able to supply Gryphon's VIP - which is probably the final solution, but at big price.

Audioshark

Too much, Alex! I wish I could have the Pantheons here. 12 feet just isn't quite wide enough for them and they dominate my lounge too much. Wonderful sound; great video and SQ again.

I have finished demoing Confidence 30 and Mojo side by side. Very interesting. The 30's are a really superb speaker. With Gryphon amplification I want Dyn' for classical and jazz and Mojo for everything else. So it's a really tough choice which to finally buy. The 30's convey size of space much more than Mojo and have a super smooth, refined sound; big stage. Glorious on string instruments. But the lower mid range and bass is slow and overhangs a bit - just like it does on my Contour 60's. This is perfect for, let's say, 'fast' amplification like Naim, but too sleepy with Gryphon. Mojo much faster, more slam, snap and dynamics; better on string and guitar instruments than Dyn. Slightly smaller stage but more air, less 'thickness' than Dyn. Dyn has no heat at top of treble; Mojo does - which I don't like. Cables are probably the answer. They won't speed-up the Dyns but they will give the Mojo more stage size and take some heat off the highest frequency. This is all I need to make Mojo perfect. The Argento Serenity achieved this but with a little too much thickness. I'm trying to get some Flow to try. No one seems to be able to supply Gryphon's VIP - which is probably the final solution, but at big price.
    Is that even a fair comparison? The Mojo S’s are $30,000 here. Aren’t the 30’s $20K? Price aside, how would you compare the bass? The Mojo S is a nice little speaker, but for $20K more, you get into a completely different league with the Pantheon.

I agree Mike!
    But what about the size of the room in his case?
    Beauties!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Is that even a fair comparison? The Mojo S’s are $30,000 here. Aren’t the 30’s $20K? Price aside, how would you compare the bass? The Mojo S is a nice little speaker, but for $20K more, you get into a completely different league with the Pantheon.

I think money is less relevant here, Mike. You could argue the Mojo S is seriously overpriced. There are no technical changes to the previous Mojo, only cosmetic, and the previous price was half as much. I’d say the unfairness of comparison lies in pitting a 3-way tower against a 2-way standmount. The Dyn really ought to fair better. Actually it is more coherent on complex passages where Mojo has a tendency to smear a bit. However, as Alex says previously, Mojo doesn’t sound like an ordinary standmount. To prove the point I actually find Mojo bass to have more slam and presence than the 30. The 50 would be a different story in terms of going lower but I don’t know if it would time any better than 30 with Gryphon amp and that’s the issue for me.

I’d happily pay the extra 20k for Pantheon - the issue isn’t money but a 12’ x 24’ room size - just not enough width. I wish it were different! When I had them in my room the bass was mad. However, unbeknown to me I had terrible power issues which I've now sorted with dedicated lines. So perhaps it would be better. Still wouldn't solve the problem of Pantheon being so visually dominant in the lounge, though..

Majestic, Alex!

Hi Ian!
    Although not a question for me, I will answer a couple of points )
    The price of the previous Mojo in Europe in 2015 (just before the premiere of "S") was around 19,000-21,000 Euros with racks. And in standard paint.
    In model "S", the company slightly changed the crossover settings. And the design. The sound of the previous model is a little brighter, in my opinion.
    By the way, these beauties came to my salon yesterday!
    They sound beautiful.
    But the sound of Mojo is more interesting to me !!!

I think money is less relevant here, Mike. You could argue the Mojo S is seriously overpriced. There are no technical changes to the previous Mojo, only cosmetic, and the previous price was half as much. I’d say the unfairness of comparison lies in pitting a 3-way tower against a 2-way standmount. The Dyn really ought to fair better. Actually it is more coherent on complex passages where Mojo has a tendency to smear a bit. However, as Alex says previously, Mojo doesn’t sound like an ordinary standmount. To prove the point I actually find Mojo bass to have more slam and presence than the 30. The 50 would be a different story in terms of going lower but I don’t know if it would time any better than 30 with Gryphon amp and that’s the issue for me.

I’d happily pay the extra 20k for Pantheon - the issue isn’t money but a 12’ x 24’ room size - just not enough width. I wish it were different! When I had them in my room the bass was mad. However, unbeknown to me I had terrible power issues which I've now sorted with dedicated lines. So perhaps it would be better. Still wouldn't solve the problem of Pantheon being so visually dominant in the lounge, though..

Hi Ian!
    The price of the previous Mojo in Europe in 2015 (just before the premiere of "S") was around 19,000-21,000 Euros with stands. And in standard paint.
    In model "S", the company slightly changed the crossover settings. And the design. The sound of the previous model is a little brighter, in my opinion.
    They sound beautiful.

Hi Ian!
    The price of the previous Mojo in Europe in 2015 (just before the premiere of "S") was around 19,000-21,000 Euros with racks. And in standard paint.
    They sound beautiful.

Hey Alex,

Great images as usual and that's the finish I'd have if I was going to get them. They do look very cool. 'Beautiful' is exactly how I describe their sound; a bit too beautiful! Mojo brings a little more speed and raw excitement, I think.

Thanks a lot for putting me right on cost and changes. Gryphon don't say anything about the crossover changes. The S is on the bright side with the wrong speaker cable so I don't like to think what the original was like. I guess this is why you can get -5db resistors to drop in.

I've been trying Jorma Unity, all copper cable. There's no brightness at the highest frequencies like I get with the Naim SL, which is silver over copper. Sound is very even, less detailed but still detailed enough; but gives less sense of the size of the recording venue. I'll try Jorma Origo but wonder whether to just get VIP as it must work with Mojo S. Problem is I can't demo it. You said you thought VIP a bit dry, I think. What did you mean by that?
    Thanks!

Hi Ian!
    I tested this cable.
    Excellent played to the speakers of Mojo!
    There was a beautiful diamond in the sound!
    The entire line of Jorma cables is coming to me soon!

Hey Alex,

Great images as usual and that's the finish I'd have if I was going to get them. They do look very cool. 'Beautiful' is exactly how I describe their sound; a bit too beautiful! Mojo brings a little more speed and raw excitement, I think.

Thanks a lot for putting me right on cost and changes. Gryphon don't say anything about the crossover changes. The S is on the bright side with the wrong speaker cable so I don't like to think what the original was like. I guess this is why you can get -5db resistors to drop in.

I've been trying Jorma Unity, all copper cable. There's no brightness at the highest frequencies like I get with the Naim SL, which is silver over copper. Sound is very even, less detailed but still detailed enough; but gives less sense of the size of the recording venue. I'll try Jorma Origo but wonder whether to just get VIP as it must work with Mojo S. Problem is I can't demo it. You said you thought VIP a bit dry, I think. What did you mean by that?
    Thanks!

Gryphon Mojo S !!!
    In general, it was a very interesting test!
    The first time I heard a terrific tandem of speakers Gryphon Audio and amplifier from Dan D’Agostino!
    In my opinion it was an unforgettable sound!
    Here is only the first part of a big test!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly4e-wEwvLo

Excellent production, Alex. Great filming and superb sound recording. Congratulations. ~I think it's the best on YouTube. I have an option on ex demo Pantheon. So now I decide between Pan Theon and Mojo S. But I think I have to be sensible in my 12' wide room.. My usual question - what's the speaker cable?! I'm about to order VIP..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Gryphon Mojo S Review