Gryphon Mojo S Review - Page 5
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gryphon Mojo S Review

I agree Mike!
    But what about the size of the room in his case?
    Beauties!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Is that even a fair comparison? The Mojo S’s are $30,000 here. Aren’t the 30’s $20K? Price aside, how would you compare the bass? The Mojo S is a nice little speaker, but for $20K more, you get into a completely different league with the Pantheon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I think money is less relevant here, Mike. You could argue the Mojo S is seriously overpriced. There are no technical changes to the previous Mojo, only cosmetic, and the previous price was half as much. I’d say the unfairness of comparison lies in pitting a 3-way tower against a 2-way standmount. The Dyn really ought to fair better. Actually it is more coherent on complex passages where Mojo has a tendency to smear a bit. However, as Alex says previously, Mojo doesn’t sound like an ordinary standmount. To prove the point I actually find Mojo bass to have more slam and presence than the 30. The 50 would be a different story in terms of going lower but I don’t know if it would time any better than 30 with Gryphon amp and that’s the issue for me.

I’d happily pay the extra 20k for Pantheon - the issue isn’t money but a 12’ x 24’ room size - just not enough width. I wish it were different! When I had them in my room the bass was mad. However, unbeknown to me I had terrible power issues which I've now sorted with dedicated lines. So perhaps it would be better. Still wouldn't solve the problem of Pantheon being so visually dominant in the lounge, though..

Post Thanks / Like

Majestic, Alex!

4. Likes TechnicalPie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ian!
    Although not a question for me, I will answer a couple of points )
    The price of the previous Mojo in Europe in 2015 (just before the premiere of "S") was around 19,000-21,000 Euros with racks. And in standard paint.
    In model "S", the company slightly changed the crossover settings. And the design. The sound of the previous model is a little brighter, in my opinion.
    By the way, these beauties came to my salon yesterday!
    They sound beautiful.
    But the sound of Mojo is more interesting to me !!!

Quote Originally Posted by eagle3333 View Post
    I think money is less relevant here, Mike. You could argue the Mojo S is seriously overpriced. There are no technical changes to the previous Mojo, only cosmetic, and the previous price was half as much. I’d say the unfairness of comparison lies in pitting a 3-way tower against a 2-way standmount. The Dyn really ought to fair better. Actually it is more coherent on complex passages where Mojo has a tendency to smear a bit. However, as Alex says previously, Mojo doesn’t sound like an ordinary standmount. To prove the point I actually find Mojo bass to have more slam and presence than the 30. The 50 would be a different story in terms of going lower but I don’t know if it would time any better than 30 with Gryphon amp and that’s the issue for me.

I’d happily pay the extra 20k for Pantheon - the issue isn’t money but a 12’ x 24’ room size - just not enough width. I wish it were different! When I had them in my room the bass was mad. However, unbeknown to me I had terrible power issues which I've now sorted with dedicated lines. So perhaps it would be better. Still wouldn't solve the problem of Pantheon being so visually dominant in the lounge, though..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ian!
    The price of the previous Mojo in Europe in 2015 (just before the premiere of "S") was around 19,000-21,000 Euros with stands. And in standard paint.
    In model "S", the company slightly changed the crossover settings. And the design. The sound of the previous model is a little brighter, in my opinion.
    They sound beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle3333 View Post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalPie View Post
    Hi Ian!
    The price of the previous Mojo in Europe in 2015 (just before the premiere of "S") was around 19,000-21,000 Euros with racks. And in standard paint.
    They sound beautiful.

Hey Alex,

Great images as usual and that's the finish I'd have if I was going to get them. They do look very cool. 'Beautiful' is exactly how I describe their sound; a bit too beautiful! Mojo brings a little more speed and raw excitement, I think.

Thanks a lot for putting me right on cost and changes. Gryphon don't say anything about the crossover changes. The S is on the bright side with the wrong speaker cable so I don't like to think what the original was like. I guess this is why you can get -5db resistors to drop in.

I've been trying Jorma Unity, all copper cable. There's no brightness at the highest frequencies like I get with the Naim SL, which is silver over copper. Sound is very even, less detailed but still detailed enough; but gives less sense of the size of the recording venue. I'll try Jorma Origo but wonder whether to just get VIP as it must work with Mojo S. Problem is I can't demo it. You said you thought VIP a bit dry, I think. What did you mean by that?
    Thanks!

8. Likes TechnicalPie liked this post

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5