Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Multiple Sets Of Speakers

Do many here use more than one set of speakers and switch between them when listening to different types of music? This definitely seems to be the case with amps.

Audioshark

Re: Multiple Sets Of Speakers

Easier to shift me than the speakers

MBL’s downstairs. Avantgarde upstairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Mike, do Avantgarde speakers require a sub? You have some really nice stuff.

I wish, but I was lucky getting my current pair past the wife, a second pair on a second system, well I’d end up with a sound bar in a rented trailer.

When I had my AV system and my 2 channel in the same room, we pulled the AV speakers out and experienced the sound getting significantly quieter, the AV speakers were resonating off the 2 channel which to the critical ear distorts the main speakers -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

Yes, it is easier. Some audiophiles have systems set up in multiple rooms in their house. I don't know any that shuffle speakers in and out of their main system depending on the music being played. It makes more sense to buy a better pair of speakers that can play anything.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassphile View Post
    Mike, do Avantgarde speakers require a sub? You have some really nice stuff.
    Thanks. Definitely not. They go down to 18hz and have active/powered bass.

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

It’s a dream of mine to have a dedicated 2 channel room with different sets of speakers to rotate in. Not that I would constantly rotate them in based on music choice but rather to have nice examples of different speaker types to try periodically just for a change in presentation. If I’m dreaming let’s say, one set of Magnepans, a set of Magico’s, and a set of Avantgardes. Same goes for electronics, one brute force solid state amp, a low powered tube amp, a class A solid state etc.

For a while my idea was to focus my resources and create one perfect system for myself with one product of each component type. I’ve found however that regardless of what I have I constantly have the urge to try new combinations and that having some alternates around to play with keeps me from feeling like I need to go buy something new to try.
    Living Room System: Mac Mini > PS Audio PWD MKII/ Marantz TT-15 Turntable w/ Ortofon Cadenza Bronze> Musical Fidelity LX2LPS> Primaluna Dialogue Premium> Klipsch Forte III

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    It makes more sense to buy a better pair of speakers that can play anything.
    I use a single pair of speakers.
    Simaudio Moon Neo 260 DT CD Transport / MIT SL-Matrix Plus AES/EBU digital cable / Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC / Octave HP 700 preamp / Octave RE 320 stereo amp with Super Black Box / Reference 3A Reflector monitors on Sound Anchors Signature Stands / dual JL Audio Fathom 112 v2 subwoofers on ASC SubTraps / ZenWave Audio D4 and SMSG cables / Acoustic treatment: tube traps, Tri-panels, window plugs, ceiling diffusers (all ASC), large absorbing panels (Acoustics First), diverse carpets chosen for acoustic properties: wool, polypropylene basket-weave

Super Moderator

I agree that while it was fun to have multiple speakers, it really ended up being a bit of a pain to rotate them in and out. I didn’t do it for different types of music but more for a change of flavor and tone. Now with my Duo XD, I do rotate through a couple of different amps for fun, but have no desire to switch to a different pair of speakers.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Unlike some folks here, we only have one system and thus only one set of speakers. Actually, Mikes solution is probably the only way to go as the thought of how much effort it would take to move our speakers to replace them with others is enough to make it a non-starter.
    Front End: MSB Select II DAC, MSB Reference Transport, Magnum Dynalab MD107T, Aiwa AD-F990
    Amplification: Dan D'Agostino Momentum HD Preamplifier & Momentum M400 MxV Monoblocks, Crown XLS 2502 (x3) (subwoofers)
    Speakers: Scaena La Maitresse Ultime Loudspeaker System
    Cables: Shunyata Aeros Aurora-SP, Shunyata Aeros Aurora-IC, Jungson Golden Dragon
    Power: GigaWatt PC-4 EVO+, GigaWatt LS-2HCEVO, Jungson Pure Power, JPS Labs AC+, Transparent HPPC
    Miscellaneous: ​Bohmer/Legacy Audio Wavelet DSP/Room Correction

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

Two separate systems here as well. The sources and electronics supporting them are different. Swapping speakers frequently means much more than just swapping speakers.

I could see how someone would have separate systems for, say, upstairs and downstairs. But I can also see how rotating systems could be a PITA. It wouldn't be worth the hassle to me to rotate speakers. Rotating amps or preamps...maybe.

I usually have 3-4 pairs of speakers in dedicated room. Once I had two separate systems I found always go back to my main room to listen properly so decided to just rotate the speakers in same room. But boy while it was fun to have different flavours of each speakers it was quite a pain to moved them around. Well after I settle with Avantgarde Mezzo i sold all the rest. Thanked god.

Paul

I was always enamored with English two way speakers. Unfortunately I never owned any. Well recently I had three different sets in my sound room. I was lucky enough to get a woofer module to work with all three. So there I go, fat, dumb and happy that I owned three flavors of speakers to match any music type I preferred to listen to, that particular day. I was balancing the enjoyment factor and detail factor against each other. When listening to the least critical speaker, I was music listening. When listening to the most detailed speaker, I was listening to the quality of the recording. The speaker in the middle was getting the most use. Then I started noticing that each speaker preferred different cabling. So swapping transducers was accompanied by cable swapping. Then I started looking for more two-way’s. After all if three were good, four or five could be even better. I eventually gave up. My hifi rig was there to serve me, not the other way around. I decided not to run an audio store. Not to mention how my frame of reference constantly needed to be re-focused every time I swapped speakers. This hobby shouldn't be that hard. Now I know exactly what to expect from my system. And stop asking myself the musical question: How would another speaker interpret this selection?
    == Joe ==

I'll change up / rotate occasionally (every month or two) but not just for a change of music as that happens all the time.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team