Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Is it just me, or, is Klipsch gaining momentum among serious audiophiles?

Not that Klipsch has been grossly overlooked. After all, as a speaker brand, they've been around a very, very, long time. But "recently" they seem to be shedding the (primarily) rock and roll speaker moniker/association and many audiophiles are turning to Klipsch for classical, jazz, and other types of music that Klipsch would have been overlooked for the last few years. Reviews of Klipsch speakers that I've read on the net, forums, magazines, etc. seem to be much more consistently positive than I've seen in some time. Steve Guttenburg, among other reviewers, has been very positive in his praise of speakers from the Klipsch line up.

First of all, let me say that I have no dog in this fight. Although I've been loosely following high end audio the last few years, I've just started to much more deeply explore it secondary to assembling a new 2 channel high end audio system for myself. I have a lot of catching up and learning (and re-learning) to do. I've tried to keep as much of an open mind as possible in assembling a new system. Mike (Suncoast Audio) has been a tremendous help in this process.

But, I digress...although Klipsch (so far) has not been included in this current round of (2 channel) system assembly I might subsequently want to upgrade my 7.1 home theater system for my upstairs living room. So I'm filing away ideas for that while I currently assemble and purchase my 2 channel, high end audiophile system. And Klipsch could very well become a part of that upstairs HT system.

So, is it just my imagination or have Klipsch become more acceptable as an option for those who might not have taken it as seriously as other options the last few years? BTW, I've always wanted to hear a pair of Klipschorns. However, like others, I don't have the corners for it.

Super Moderator

Re: Is it just me, or, is Klipsch gaining momentum among serious audiophiles?

The Cornwall III’s that I used to own were a blast and with a sweet amp, outstanding.

I do think you are right. Klipsch has been quietly improving all their speakers. Don’t be shy to consider a pair.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I don’t see what music style has to do with anything except the ability of the speaker to handle whatever style you are into. For those of us who cross genres at every turn, it gets more challenging to find a speaker that can handle that and do all the same justice.

I have been hearing about Klipsch in the same light as well. I don’t like horn speakers as I find them too shouty. However, everyone is saying the new Klipsch speakers are no longer shouty and sound really good. Of course, that is completely subjective. I will likely never hear them myself as I am not in market and don’t have any place to hear them anyway.

I don’t put any stock in what “audiophiles” accept or not or like or not because what is good one week is rejected the next. We all have different preferences. My criteria are: Does it play music? Does it meet mission critical requirements (price, size, matching….)? Does it sound good to you? Done!

As said above, don't be shy, check them out, if they meet most requirements and sound good to you = no shame.

Back around the time Klipsch came out with the Paladium line they had a Good Reference line, I was really considering the RF63 at one point. You really have to know or keep up because the Reference line varies over time.

I think it's the Heritage that is getting the buzz. I haven't heard the latest.

I went through a Klipsch phase, had some Forte II, Heresy III, a lot of fun but not the last word in detail.

Most theaters use horn speakers, Klipsch would make a fun set up for HT.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

A year on and I’m still really enjoying my Forte III’s. They are just consistently enjoyable and more easygoing than a lot of other high end speakers I’ve had. They are also surprisingly well rounded in my opinion. I auditioned them thinking there would be blatant flaws but aside from a tendency to curtail soundstage height I haven’t found that to be the case. Of course they are a relatively affordable horn and do have their weaknesses compared to other designs, but they work well in my smallish room and have always been fun to listen to regardless of the electronics I’ve used.

For me they are very satisfying. For others with different music/listening preferences and/or a different room I would have other recommendations. As always with Klipsch, they aren’t going to suit everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Living Room System: Mac Mini > PS Audio PWD MKII/ Marantz TT-15 Turntable w/ Ortofon Cadenza Bronze> Musical Fidelity LX2LPS> Primaluna Dialogue Premium> Klipsch Forte III

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassphile View Post
    Not that Klipsch has been grossly overlooked. After all, as a speaker brand, they've been around a very, very, long time. But "recently" they seem to be shedding the (primarily) rock and roll speaker moniker/association and many audiophiles are turning to Klipsch for classical, jazz, and other types of music that Klipsch would have been overlooked for the last few years. Reviews of Klipsch speakers that I've read on the net, forums, magazines, etc. seem to be much more consistently positive than I've seen in some time. Steve Guttenburg, among other reviewers, has been very positive in his praise of speakers from the Klipsch line up.
    Where is this information coming from?
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Reviews of Klipsch speakers that I've read on the net, forums, magazines, etc.
    Its on the internet Mark, so you know

But ! what is interesting, I was at my local dealer last week,and I asked him what speakers are you moving lately. He told me, for some reason Conwalls and Forte III. He also sells the complete line of Revel, JBL and Focal and Paradigm and GE. I find that interesting.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    Its on the internet Mark, so you know
    Good one Chris! Seriously, I'm not aware of any speaker research focused on consumers switching to any particular brand of speaker, let alone the statement I bolded in my above post. It's always dangerous/disingenuous to make statements that say "many" "most" "the majority" are doing something that fits your narrative unless you have facts that back up your statements.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Good one Chris! Seriously, I'm not aware of any speaker research focused on consumers switching to any particular brand of speaker, let alone the statement I bolded in my above post. It's always dangerous/disingenuous to make statements that say "many" "most" "the majority" are doing something that fits your narrative unless you have facts that back up your statements.
    Not sure of any promo's by Klipsch, but their Forte III and Conwalls III do sound pretty decent with tubes.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    Not sure of any promo's by Klipsch, but their Forte III and Conwalls III do sound pretty decent with tubes.
    I'm sure there are people who love the vintage Klipsch speakers as well as the current upgraded models of the their vintage speakers. I also think that Klipsch is big in the home theater market. It's just the statement that "Many audiophiles are turning to Klipsch speakers..." doesn't ring true without some type of context.

I'm sure there are people who love the vintage Klipsch speakers as well as the current upgraded models of the their vintage speakers. I also think that Klipsch is big in the home theater market. It's just the statement that "Many audiophiles are turning to Klipsch speakers..." doesn't ring true without some type of context.
    Agree , without sells numbers is all speculation.

Back in the day, when I managed higher end stereo stores back in Syracuse we sold ALOT of Klipsch. They were very popular speakers and VERY reliable. I do not recall every having a pair come in for service... they just worked. Customers liked them and the store did ok with them. Win win so to speak.

With that said, I personally was never a fan of Klipsh for my own use. They were really great at loud listening but I simply was not a fan of horn speakers and at that time they were the pinnacle of horn speakers, in my view. I was more of a fan of KEF and European designs.

I do not have to be a fan of a particular product to appreciate that product. Klipsch was a good product and I assume that they continue as such.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I like the Forte III, a lot.* I don't have the space o'wise id be playing a set now. The Cornwall by comparison have more bass and maybe too much mid-bass energy, that--to my ears--colors the mids.

*not to be confused with the Forte II that looks almost identical but sounds much different.

Certainly nothing official. Just what I've read on forums, Youtube reviews, reviewers (i.e. Steve Guttenburg), others, online mags. I don't recall who said what and when. Maybe I've noticed it more lately since in the not too distant past many audiophiles seemed to turn their noses up at Klipsch. It seems like most comments now are much more positive. OTOH, this could all be a figment of my imagination. But they do seem to garner a lot of positive comments, reviews, etc. of late.

While I knew that there were other speakers I could not afford I would rather have back in the late 1980s when I owned a pair of Klipsch La Scala loudspeakers (e.g., Apogee Diva), I still have fond memories of pissing off the neighbors by playing live Judas Priest at "call the cops" levels.

There was something about those speakers that really did well for high SPL heavy metal sound reproduction. The high-end audio folks made fun of them, but for what I was using them for, I thought they were great. I have not heard any of their models since, so have no clue on what they sound like now.
    Front End: MSB Select II DAC, MSB Reference Transport, Magnum Dynalab MD107T, Aiwa AD-F990
    Amplification: Dan D'Agostino Momentum HD Preamplifier & Momentum M400 MxV Monoblocks, Crown XLS 2502 (x3) (subwoofers)
    Speakers: Scaena La Maitresse Ultime Loudspeaker System
    Cables: Shunyata Aeros Aurora-SP, Shunyata Aeros Aurora-IC, Jungson Golden Dragon
    Power: GigaWatt PC-4 EVO+, GigaWatt LS-2HCEVO, Jungson Pure Power, JPS Labs AC+, Transparent HPPC
    Miscellaneous: ​Bohmer/Legacy Audio Wavelet DSP/Room Correction

Quote Originally Posted by laynesaddiction View Post
    ...I still have fond memories of pissing off the neighbors by playing live Judas Priest at "call the cops" levels....

lemme guess, Breaking the Law?

Super Moderator

Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I have a pair of Cornscala's which are modified Cornwalls (the Squawker is from a LaScala)and it's about 103 or 104db of sensitivity compared to the Cornwalls 102db. I drive it with an HH Scott 299C which has 28 watts per channel and it's pure heaven. For normal listening I have the volume at about 3.5 which is plenty loud. I recently acquired a Bluesound Vault 2 and it's the greatest thing since sliced pumpernickel!

P.S. I was told you don't get the shout sound from horn speakers if you use a tube amp......anybody get it with solid state? Have never heard it on my system.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Is it just me, or, is Klipsch gaining momentum among serious audiophiles?