Best headphones/amps? Recommendations? - Page 5
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best headphones/amps? Recommendations?

I value speed and transparency for my headphone listening, and detest a lot of the "extra bass" headphones that seem to be popular now. I love IEMs, although the customs don't fit as well after a few years. My current favorite is the Campfire Audio Andromeda Gold SE.

Senn hd650 is where a lot of us started liking headphones. (TBH, I listened to a pair of those Sennheiser, or Koss?, headphones {the ones with the orange foam against your ear} as a kid from my Dad's McIntosh Pre-amp)

There are much more revealing headphones, especially when paired with good amplifiers. However, great sound can be had with one of the DragonFly dac/amps, and whatever headphone you like (well perhaps now with the HD650)

My current sets (different locations, and different requirements)

Blue Hawaii Special Edition + Stax SR007/Mr Speakers Voce -> extremely revealing, and full range, very comfortable - obviously my favorite
    Focal Utopia + Violectric V281 -> no tubes at my work office, I run these with balanced wiring - very nice, a bit heavier than the stats, no complaints
    Focal Elegia + CEntrance HiFi M8 XLR -> workstation, need closed headphones here - great for youtube, and some music when I get a chance to sit there.

But, go get lost at Head-Fi, and be sure to check out their for sale threads. There are many great headphones are sold after a short while, when a new "favorite of the month" comes out.
    Amp : McIntosh MC60 (from my Dad - reconditioned/retubed)
    Digital : Bricasti M12, Oppo 203
    Analog : Technics SL1200G, DIY K&K Audio Maxxed Phono Amp
    Speakers : Zu Audio Druid V + Zu Audio Undertone
    Headphone : BHSE + Voce

2. Thanks joeinid thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My pix are HIFiMan he1000 v2 and se which I prefer to Audeze lcd-4 and focal utopia. I actually like clear better. Have tested these in my review pursuits.

Post Thanks / Like

If you enjoy IEM, if you get a chance take a spin with the Audeze LCD-i4. I found that standard headphones drove me crazy after a while; weight, bulk, etc. Normal IEM bother me because they normally don't feel comfortable. The LCD-i4 are one of Audeze's flagship models and perform as such. They sound wonderful with my Astell&Kern portable and I can wear them for hours in comfort.
    Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2 | T+A AMP 8 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | Falcon Northwest PC | Roon & HQPlayer | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 | W4S Recovery | U-Turn Orbit Special | Ortofon 2M Blue | SimAudio 110LP v2 | Record Doctor V | McIntosh MR7083 | Oppo BDP-105 | KEF R700 | ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3010 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000 | Furman Elite 15i | Burmester Audio Car System | Astell&Kern AK240 | Audeze LCD-i4

Post Thanks / Like

I'm ordering the Hifiman HE-1000se and a Chord Hugo TT2.
    Best headphone rig ever owned yet coming from Hugo 2 paired with Kennerton Odin.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5