Best headphones/amps? Recommendations? - Page 4
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best headphones/amps? Recommendations?

I had around 7 pairs of headphones. They are like speakers all with their own flavor.
    My remaining pair was a Fostex Th-900 which was my best all rounder.
    That said headphones were ruining my hearing because you can crank it up so much without bothering anyone. It’s just too tempting to do. I find my spouse and neighbors are good deterrents to damaging dbs when running speakers.
    So......getting a motorcycle next Joe?
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

Post Thanks / Like

Ohhh forgot to say that Eddie Current 445 tube amp was my destination amp which I absolutely loved. My Chord Dave is an awesome headamp also.
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

3. Likes joeinid, Toomey liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dguitarnut View Post
    I had around 7 pairs of headphones. They are like speakers all with their own flavor.
    My remaining pair was a Fostex Th-900 which was my best all rounder.
    That said headphones were ruining my hearing because you can crank it up so much without bothering anyone. It’s just too tempting to do. I find my spouse and neighbors are good deterrents to damaging dbs when running speakers.
    So......getting a motorcycle next Joe?
    Ha!

I’ve had more than my share of motorcycles. While I dearly miss riding, I’m no where near as flexible as I used to be and have seen too many fatalities in my line of work. Maybe a convertible but no more motorcycles.
    Joe

Avantgarde Duo XD, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M, JBL 590.

Accuphase E-650 w/ Dac, Job INTegrated, Naim Supernait 2 w/ HiCap-DR.

Conrad Johnson GAT2, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2, Misho Myronov Wooden pre, Linear Tube Audio MZ2.

First Watt SIT-1 monos, Misho Myronov Wooden amp, First Watt SIT-3, Luxman MQ-300, Job 250 Monos, Valvet E2se, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, Cary 300B SE monos, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos.

Lumin U1 mini, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, Audio Mirror Tubadour III NOS R2R Tube Dac w/ upgrades.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried several headphones. Comfort along with good sound is essential for me. I do not like ear buds, they tend to irritate me pretty quickly. We also had our own CanJam at our audio club .

We had a few Audeze, a very nice HiFi Man model, Mr Speakers Ether, etc. The Focal Clear ran away as the overwhelming favorite.

I have owned McIntosh, Audeze EL8, Mr. Speakers Ether, KEF M500, Bose (who cares which model), Sennheiser HD800S, and Focal Clear. The Focal are my favorite....

Most comfortable, Mr. Speakers, Sennheiser, Focal... most uncomfortable, Audeze, McIntosh, and anything in ear.

Amps I have had a mid level Woo, a Bryston, and a Dennis Had... I also have had several DAC Headphone amps... NuPrime, Benchmark, T+A. Dedicated amp, my favorite was probably the Bryston and the Dennis Had was very good also, but the T+A seems to do really good, and I have not used headphones as much lately. Mostly use the cans with my portable Pono player. It drives the Focal perfectly. I also love the Focal package. Nice case and very good cabling, all types from 1/4", 4-pin balanced, and 1/8" for the portable. None of the others except the McIntosh came close in package.
    Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2 | T+A AMP 8 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | Falcon Northwest PC | Roon & HQPlayer | W4S Recovery | U-Turn Orbit Special w/ Ortofon 2M Blue | SimAudio 110LP v2 | Record Doctor V | McIntosh MR7083 | Oppo BDP-105 | KEF R700 | ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3010 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000 | Furman Elite 15i | Burmester Auto System | Astell&Kern AK240 | Audeze LCD-i4

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the recommended list from the site below. Find a few in your price range and then head over to a few shops to try them out with your collection of favorite tracks.

https ://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/recommended-ones/ (gah, not enough posts to post a link)

The site also has measurements.

7. Thanks joeinid thanked for this post
    Likes joeinid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and bring your listening chair too... you'll likely be spending hours

9. Thanks joeinid thanked for this post
    Likes joeinid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sean

Oppo 203, Lumin D2
    McIntosh MA252
    Magico A3
    Shunyata PS8/Defender/Delta NR
    Venom IC/SC/PC

Post Thanks / Like

Went through a whole phase of various headphones and headphone amps including the Focal Utopia, Audeze LCD3, and about a dozen others... In the end I am extremely pleased and have trimmed my collection down to the my trusty Sennheiser HD600 and Woo Audio WA6 amp as my computer/desktop combo and ZMF Auteur Blackwood with PrimaLuna HP for more serious listening chair sessions. Tubes and high impedance headphones are the most pleasing combo to my ears.
    Serge

Post Thanks / Like

Best combo i would recommend is Hifiman HE-1000SE with Dana Lazuli Reference cabling paired with Chord Hugo TT2 and Chord Mscaler.

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

We love love love this combo in the store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones & Loudspeakers, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, Keces Power Supplies, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, SRA, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast