Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Choosing my Streamer/DAC

I live in a desert, both figuratively and literally; there is only one high-end audio dealer within 200+ miles of my home, and that local dealer carries McIntosh and Aurender only. Since neither of those line enamored me, I had to make my purchase decision of a streamer/DAC based on "the written word" -- lots of it.

Over time, I reduced my universe of possible purchases to three: Auralic Vega G1; Cary DMS-600; and Lumin T2. To enable me to finalize my decision, I first studied the descriptions of these streamer/DACs on their respective websites, and then I read every review of each I could find. Thanks to Google Translate, everything which I could discover was readable in English. Next, I read every posting about these units on AudioShark, Audiogon, and AVS Forum as well as smaller sites, including highly technical ones. Finally, I called dealers that carried at least two of the three streamer/DACs, seeking their impressions of the strengths and weaknesses of those units.

Through this process, I became increasingly aware of how vital reviews in audiophile magazines, blogs and on YouTube as well as forum posts are to people not fortunate enough to live in very large metropolitan areas. Given that we often are forced to make pricey decisions based upon the opinions of others, the more of those [credible] opinions we can obtain, the easier that decision-making becomes.

So as not to keep all of you in further suspense, let me disclose that I finally purchased the Lumin T2. In my case, price was not a major consideration. From all I could gather, the Lumin provided its owner with a listening experience slightly superior to the others. The sense I got was that this accomplishment was due to two factors: really good engineering/components and product focus, by which I mean is that the Lumin eschewed WiFi and Bluetooth wireless capabilities, switchable digital filters, multiple inputs (in order to function as a quasi-preamp) and the like. The Lumin does only one thing -- it captures a digital audio stream from the Internet or an attached storage device, decodes it and outputs the result as a highly accurate analog audio stream. In the end, that is all I really needed or wanted, namely a single purpose streamer with integrated DAC that works as well as one can reasonably expect at that price point.

I hope I'll be happy with my decision once the Lumin T2 has been the newest member of my audio system for a few weeks. Regardless, I'll follow up this initial posting with my actual impressions of the unit.
    Jonathan

Age is a mental construct.

System: Theta Casablanca V preamp/processor/DAC; Wadia 8 transport; Wadia 2000 DAC; Theta Compli SACD transport; Lumin T2 streamer/DAC; Roon Nucleus+; Luxul AGS-1024 switch; SOTA Sapphire turntable w/Premier FT3 arm & Hana SL cartridge; PS Audio Stellar phono preamp; SweetVinyl SC-2 noise/click remover; Oppo 203 4K player; Magnum Dynalab FT-101A tuner; McIntosh MC611 mono amplifiers (3); Revel Ultima Studio/ Voice/Embrace speakers (L/C/R and sides); Arendal 1723 speakers (surrounds); SVS SB-16 (2) and 3000 Micro (2) subwoofers; Stax SR-L300 headphones; TeddyPardo 19/3 linear power supply; Richard Gray's Substation; Shunyata 6000/S, 2000/T (2), Venom PS10, Hydra (2), and Defender (2) power conditioners; Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables; Audioquest, Cardas, Kimber Kable, MIT, and Wireworld interconnects; Cullen, and Shunyata power cords.

JVC RS 3100 projector; MadVR Envy Extreme II video processor.

Re: Choosing my Streamer/DAC

Lumin are on top of their game, congrats on a good component.

Audioshark

Jonathan - congrats on an excellent choice. The T2 is a terrific streamer from Lumin - an excellent company who’s passionate about great products and great service.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Super Moderator

Congratulations Jonathan, Lumin is rock solid and sounds awesome. Give it some play time to break in and enjoy.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I vowed that the last component I'd let go was my Aurender N10 but I sold it and bought a Lumin X1. I have only two complaints. I wish it had external controls like the N10 so I'm not tied to the App and the second is that the App is really good but needs to provide more contrast for old eyes. I also think the App isn't as intuitive as either the Aurender or the App from Naim for their streamers.
    It's the best sounding digital source I've ever had.
    Bud<br>

AAVIK: S-280 Streamer, D-280 DAC, I-280 Integrated Amplifier]
    NAIM: Atom HE Headphone Amp, Superlumina Speaker Cables, Power Cables
    HARBETH: 30.2 40th Anniversary Speakers
    FOCAL:: Utopia Headphones
    ANSUZ: C2 Power Cable, A2 Power Distributor, D2 Ethernet Cables, D2 PowerSwitch, D2 Interconnect
    NORDOST: Heimdall 2 Ethernet and Power Cables
    QUADRASPIRE: SVT Equipment Stand
    SKYLAN: Speaker Stands
    UPTONE:Linear Power Supply
    DANACABLE:: Headphone cables

You just can't go wrong with a Lumin. I'm saving up for a T2.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

My T2 is on the truck and out for delivery. I'll have this weekend to learn a new piece of equipment. Good luck on yours AVphile
    Speakers: Magico S3 (23')
    Integrated:Gryphon Diablo 300 plus DAC
    Streamer: HiFi Rose RS150b
    CD/DVD: Oppo 205
    Cables: Cardas-Shunyata-AudioQuest-Supra
    Roon Core: sonicTransporter i7 powered with HDPlex 200w linear PS, running AudioLinux for Roon--Tidal and Qobuz with iPad Pro

Time is just a tool humans created to measure movement and record events

I've been thinking of getting a new streamer as well, but don't need the DAC as I've just ordered an Audio Note 2.1X. It has spdif and aes inputs, but no usb, so i'm wondering if there is a streamer that outputs in those formats, and has the same basic "goodness" as the T2. If I need to start a new thread, just let me know. Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Don Ivey View Post
    I've been thinking of getting a new streamer as well, but don't need the DAC as I've just ordered an Audio Note 2.1X. It has spdif and aes inputs, but no usb, so i'm wondering if there is a streamer that outputs in those formats, and has the same basic "goodness" as the T2. If I need to start a new thread, just let me know. Thanks,
    Lumin U1 might fit your need.

A less costly alternative would be the more basic Lumin U1 Mini.
    Jonathan

Age is a mental construct.

System: Theta Casablanca V preamp/processor/DAC; Wadia 8 transport; Wadia 2000 DAC; Theta Compli SACD transport; Lumin T2 streamer/DAC; Roon Nucleus+; Luxul AGS-1024 switch; SOTA Sapphire turntable w/Premier FT3 arm & Hana SL cartridge; PS Audio Stellar phono preamp; SweetVinyl SC-2 noise/click remover; Oppo 203 4K player; Magnum Dynalab FT-101A tuner; McIntosh MC611 mono amplifiers (3); Revel Ultima Studio/ Voice/Embrace speakers (L/C/R and sides); Arendal 1723 speakers (surrounds); SVS SB-16 (2) and 3000 Micro (2) subwoofers; Stax SR-L300 headphones; TeddyPardo 19/3 linear power supply; Richard Gray's Substation; Shunyata 6000/S, 2000/T (2), Venom PS10, Hydra (2), and Defender (2) power conditioners; Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables; Audioquest, Cardas, Kimber Kable, MIT, and Wireworld interconnects; Cullen, and Shunyata power cords.

JVC RS 3100 projector; MadVR Envy Extreme II video processor.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Ivey View Post
    Both the Lumin U1 and U1 MINI offer AES and SPDIF outputs.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Thanks for the info on the U1 and U1 Mini. Do either/both of these offer similar functionality to the T2, except DAC, of course.

For AES connection to the Audio Note 2.1X, both U1 and U1 MINI are functionally equivalent with similar streaming capability as T2 but without analog outputs. Both are better than T2 for this DAC because T2 does not have AES output.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Choosing my Streamer/DAC