Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

DH Labs Revelation interconnects

I came across DH Labs when I was looking for good quality bulk cable to build some DIY power and speaker cables. I ended up building power cables for all my components using DH Labs Power Plus cable and a mix of different connectors ranging from generic "audio quality" pure copper connectors to Furutech fi-28. The improvement in sound quality in every respect was very noticeable compared to the cheap OEM cables I was using before.

I then built a set of speaker cables using DH Labs Q-10 cable with Furutech connectors. Another nice improvement over the Audioquest Mammoth cable I was using. In this case, the new cables were considerably shorter - 8ft to 3ft - since my monoblocks sit very close to the speakers.

At this point, I felt that the Blue Jean interconnects between my DAC and Preamp were the weakest link, so I bought a 0.5M set of DH Labs Revelation interconnects. These really made a huge difference, particularly with complex music with a lot of layered instruments. With the previous interconnects, I'd hear a lot of buzziness and congestion, particularly with female vocals and instruments in the upper midrange, when the music got complex. With the Revelation interconnects, everything is smoother and much clearer - voices and instruments are easily delineated.

I'm currently using a set of Mark Levinson interconnects between my preamp and amps which I bought about 20 years ago. I haven't been able to find much information about these and don't really know how they compare with other products currently available. They sound OK, but when I was previously using them between the DAC and Preamp, they didn't sound that much better than the Blue Jean cables.

They're really too short (at 2M) for their current application. One of them is stretched taught between the preamp and amp, and I'd like to have a bit more flexibility in cable routing, so I'd like to replace them with a 3M pair. So now I'm trying to figure out whether I should spring for a 3M set of Revelation interconnects (about $1300), go with a lower end model from DH Labs such as the Air Matrix (under $400), or find something else, perhaps on the used market.

I've been pretty happy with the price-performance of the DH Labs products, but I'm also a little worried about too much of a "good thing". Anyone have experience with a full DH Labs loom, particularly using the Revelation interconnects?

There is a 3M set of Straightwire Virtuoso R interconnects available on the used market for $500. Any thoughts on how these might compare?
    Main: SGC SonicTransporter i9 Optical, Sonore Signature Rendu SE, Denafrips Gaia, Denafrips Terminator Plus, DIY Preamp, DIY 300B PSET Monoblocks, DIY GR Research Line Force with dual 4-stack servo subs, PS Audio Power Plant 12, AQ Diamond USB, Tubulus Argentus i2s, Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR, DH Labs Red Wave and Power Plus PCs, Kimber Select KS-3035 speaker cable

2nd: Auralic Vega G2, DIY Purifi amp, GR-Research NX-Studio speakers.

HT: Marantz AV8802a, Sunfire Theater Grand, Revel Performa F50/C50, Epson 5050, Stewart 92" Firehawk G4

Extra: Schiit Yggdrasil A2, DIY FirstWatt F5 Turbo monoblocks, DIY Neurochrome Mod-286 monoblocks, DIY Purifi monoblocks, DIY Preamp. Revel F30, Totem Mani-2.

Re: DH Labs Revelation interconnects

JayT-

I too have been happy with the various cables made using DH Labs cable. For power cables the Power Plus with basic Wattgate plugs nicely improved the sound over the stock cable. I use Red Wave with the gold Wattgate plugs on my power amps. This also made a nice improvement. Using Red Wave on source components made no difference over the Power Plus. On amps, Red Wave is superior. Gregg at DH Labs indicated this would be the case when making my initial cable selections.

I have made several interconnects using the Pro Studio cable and DH Lab XLR's. Again, an improvement over circa 2004 Tributaries cables. You can make an 10 foot pair for around $250 using DH's 10% sign up discount. This cable goes on sale from time to time for 20% off. Using Neutrix connectors can save some more as well.

You should give DH Labs a call if you have not done so. Speaking to Gregg on many occasions has given me accurate advice on their products DIY or other wise.

BTW, using the various connectors on your power cords, have you heard a significant difference?
    AKA J2Ordan
    McIntosh/Legacy/VPI/Bricasti/DIYCabling

I've been using DH Labs Pro Studio Analog Interconnect cable for years now. @ $11 a foot, put whatever connectors ya like on it and you've got a great cable at a reasonable cost.
    Magnepan 20.7 - CJ ART 300s - CJ GATV2 - Meitner MA-1 V2 -Dedicated JRMC + Synology NAS

I made all my power cables to the exact length I needed, so I haven't tried to compare the different connectors. Based on everything I've read, I may try making a set of cables for the power amps using the Red Wave cable and Wattgate connectors (the connectors I have won't handle the 10awg wires) to see if it makes a difference. My amp power cables are only about two feet long, so this wouldn't be too expensive.

I may also give the Pro Studio cable a try since it's not very expensive and I have plenty of quality XLR connectors I can use to make up a set of cables, but I'm leaning toward trying the Air Matrix or Revelations between my preamp and amps. I'm going to keep my eye out for a used set for a while before I decide.

I've also got a bunch of old Cello Strings cable (circa late 80s). In its day, this was pretty nice stuff (3 conductor high purity copper litz cable with teflon insulation and teflon tube spacers, with a full braided shield), but it is a royal pain to terminate because of the individually insulated litz wires. I'm wondering how this compares to modern cable.
    Main: SGC SonicTransporter i9 Optical, Sonore Signature Rendu SE, Denafrips Gaia, Denafrips Terminator Plus, DIY Preamp, DIY 300B PSET Monoblocks, DIY GR Research Line Force with dual 4-stack servo subs, PS Audio Power Plant 12, AQ Diamond USB, Tubulus Argentus i2s, Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR, DH Labs Red Wave and Power Plus PCs, Kimber Select KS-3035 speaker cable

HT: Marantz AV8802a, Sunfire Theater Grand, Revel Performa F50/C50, Epson 5050, Stewart 92" Firehawk G4

Extra: Schiit Yggdrasil A2, DIY FirstWatt F5 Turbo monoblocks, DIY Neurochrome Mod-286 monoblocks, DIY Purifi monoblocks, DIY Preamp. Revel F30, Totem Mani-2.

I had a set of Air Matrix years ago. I liked them very much. If you're good with DIY, don't overlook Furutech bulk cable. They have recently developed some excellent cables. I have a complete loom running currently. Other than an extremely long break in period, the results are better than cables I've owned costing 10X more... Keep us posted...
    T+A MP3100HV, T+A PA3100HV. Custom made Furutech cables with ETP-609 distributor with NCF outlets, Harbeth 40.2 Anniversaries.

DH Labs
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Penthouse-D - which Furutech cable did you use for interconnects? Did you make balanced cables? The Furutech interconnect cable I've found only has two conductors, in which case I assume you'd have to run a separate wire for the ground conductor or use the shield.

Since I've already got an investment in DH Labs cables, I'm leaning toward sticking with their products, at least for now. But if I can build some other cables for a modest investment, it can't hurt to try them out.

Using their Digital cables and have been very pleased with the cost vs performance they provide. Recently tried one as a clock cable and liked what I heard.

Using a Red Wave 6 meter meter cable to feed my Shunyata Denali (ran out of outlets near by) and it is performing very well.

I have the Revelation interconnects in RCA and XLR as well for testing various components in the system. When paired with the right component, they work very well.
    Main System:
    Speakers: Magico S3 MK1 | Amp: Boulder 1160 | Pre-Amp: Ref10 | Digital: DCS Vivaldi 3/4 stack & esoteric K07x | Phono-Pre: ARC Ref 2se | Phono: AMG Viella w\ 12JT & Benz LPS cart.

Living Room:
    Speakers: KEF LS50 | Amp: Primaluna Prologue Premium | Digital: Lumin D2

JayT. Furutech offers bulk XLR cables. They are excellent. Take a look through the site, and I'm certain you'l find whatever you need. Thank you.
    T+A MP3100HV, T+A PA3100HV. Custom made Furutech cables with ETP-609 distributor with NCF outlets, Harbeth 40.2 Anniversaries.

I decided to spring for the DH Labs Revelation XLR interconnects to go between my preamp and amps. As the DAC to Preamp Revelation cables have settled in, I'm liking them more and more. Since all the rest of my cables are now DH Labs, I decided these had the best chance of continuing to improve the sound.

I also decided to order enough Red Wave bulk cable to make a set of power cables for my amps. I already made a set using the DH Labs Power Plus cable, but from what I've read, the Red Wave is a noticeable step up, particularly for power amps. Since my PCs are only 2ft long, it's not too costly to try the premium cable.

I'll report back once I've got them installed and burned in for a bit.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

DH Labs Revelation interconnects