Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1924252627282930 LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,450 of 1477

Re: Classical Music Only | What You're Listening to Now, Or Very Recently | Any Mediums :

Via Tidal...

Pass Labs XP-20 | Auralic Altair G1 | Odyssey Audio Stratos Monoblocks | JVC XL-Z411 | Nakamichi DR-1 | Technics SL-1700MK2 | Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2

Re: Classical Music Only | What You're Listening to Now, Or Very Recently | Any Mediums :

Josef Mysliveček - Violiin Concertos - Sinfonia - Ouverture
    Collegium 1704, Václav Luks
    Leila Schayegh, violin

Fanfare Magazine doesn't like the violin sound on this album.
    They seem to prefer modern instruments.

I find Schayegh brilliant, and i do like HIP.
    Light and optimistic pieces, that make one think of Mozart's early violin concertos.
    And it seems they were inspired by Mysliveček's violin concertos.
    Young Mozart was a great admirer of his Czech colleague.

Václav Luks tries to make the composer's works popular again, like he does with Zelenka.

He was kind enough to sign this CD yesterday after a long concert with his ensemble and choir.
    They brought Händel's Messiah.
    The ensemble was great, the choir also, the 4 solo singers decent to good.
    Luks is kind of hyperkinetic on the scene, and clearly inspires his musicians.
    Vivid Audio - Burmester - Hegel - Marantz - Oppo - Pioneer 60" - Wireworld

The genius of Schostakowitsch - enought time now to play all symfonies. Just fantastic. The second last picture is not part of the booklet, but the last picture of the biography i'm reading at the moment.

Attached Images Attached Images
    hifi:
    power: Audioplan Powerstar, Audioplan Finefilter, Audioplan Powerplant, Powercord
    tube amp: Jadis DA 50 Signature RC, Line Magnetic 508ia
    speaker: Living Voice Avatar 2
    turntable: Pro-Ject Xtension 10 + Ortofon Quintet Black MC
    phono stage: Remton 383 MKII
    cables: Audioplan Musicable bic 7a, Profigold, Wilbrand

home-cinema: Sony blu-ray, Yamaha rx v2700, Heco Metas 700 (4x), Heco center

This is one my favorites : Opus 35: The Violin concert by Tchaikovsky. Written in only a few weeks, In that time: hardly no orchestra wanted to perform this, because it was "unplayable": And from all recordings: this one is as far I know, the best performance available: This violin concert is performed very well by a wonderful Philadelphia orchestra, but not only that: it is a big show of one of the greatest violin players all time: Itzhak Perlman. And in this record he is on his best and made the perfect Tchaikovsky opus 35.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTE08SS8fNk

Great performance - to me Perlman is also one of the best Paganini performers.
    hifi:
    power: Audioplan Powerstar, Audioplan Finefilter, Audioplan Powerplant, Powercord
    tube amp: Jadis DA 50 Signature RC, Line Magnetic 508ia
    speaker: Living Voice Avatar 2
    turntable: Pro-Ject Xtension 10 + Ortofon Quintet Black MC
    phono stage: Remton 383 MKII
    cables: Audioplan Musicable bic 7a, Profigold, Wilbrand

home-cinema: Sony blu-ray, Yamaha rx v2700, Heco Metas 700 (4x), Heco center

I’m also a Perlman fan, like his phrasing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Incredible, mesmerizing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Got a lot of vinyl records from a shop in the Netherlands that was closed along time ago. It was via a friend, and there are some amazing recordings inside

This is the first one I like to share, the componist: Miklos Rosza three Hungarian sketches opus 14. notturno Ungherese opus 25, theme variations and finale, opus 13
    Played by the RCA Italiana Orchestra

I love this record, the style is Shostakovich, if the music is played blind, I would definitely say: this is Shostakovich, however: it is made by the Hungarian Miklos Rosza and the performance by the Orchestra is very nice. I love this record.

Thank you for posting this.
    This composer wrote quite some movie scores (like 'Ben Hur').
    I'm going to examine him further.

Louise Alder
    Joseph Middleton
    - Lines Written During A Sleepless Night - The Russian Connection
    via Qobuz

Recommendation of the week by Presto Classical.
    She's great.
    In more than one aspect...

Miklós Rózsa - Violin Concerto - Concerto for String Orchestra - Kaleidoscope - Theme, Variations and Finale
    Jennifer Pike, violin
    BBC Phiilharmonic, Rumon Gamba
    Qobuz 24/96

A discovery to me, thanks to this thread.
    Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by bart View Post
    Miklós Rózsa - Violin Concerto - Concerto for String Orchestra - Kaleidoscope - Theme, Variations and Finale
    Jennifer Pike, violin
    BBC Phiilharmonic, Rumon Gamba
    Qobuz 24/96

A discovery to me, thanks to this thread.
    Nice!

We saw Jennifer Pike in June playing in a small private concert at the famed violin shop Beare's near Wigmore Hall in London. She was demonstrating four violins that Beare had for sale - 3 Strads and a Guarneri del Gesu. She then played a concert with the golden age Strad (the most valuable of the 3 Strads and the del Gesu). She is a very fine violinist and hearing these rare instruments close up was a great treat. Nothing by Rozsa however.

I do have the famed Heifetz recording of the Rozsa Violin Concerto with the Dallas Symphony conducted by Walter Hendl. Rozsa wrote the concerto for Heifetz who premiered it with Dallas and Hendl in 1956.

Larry
    Analog-VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono,2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2, Merrill Trident Tape Preamp, Herron VTPH-2A&BottleheadPhonoPre,
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicroso nicsModel2 AD
    Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC Roon/HQPlayer,Oppo105
    Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-512 Engineering Tim Marutani Symmetrical Power IsoTrans and cables,AudioDiskVinylCleaner,
    Music-2.3KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,60TBripped files

Johann Pachelbel - April Storm - Suites, Canon & Songs
    Gli Incogniti, Amandine Beyer
    Hans Jorg Mämmel, tenor

This is a delicious album on all accounts.
    Pachelbel was clearly more than his Canon and Gigue!

For today I listened to 3 violin concertos opus 7 by Jean Marie Leclair, and I love it and will definitely repeat these soon.

https://www.amazon.com/Jean-Marie-Le.../dp/B08155RQB8

Liszt - Wagner - A Faust Overture - A Faust Symphony
    Staatskapelle Dresden, Christian Thielemann

Maybe not the absolute best version of the Liszt Symphony, but sometimes I just like to listen AND watch.
    Picture and sound are absolutely fine, and I can very well bear the performance.

Music with image tonight!

Bach - Brandenburg Concertos 1-6
    Orchestra Mozart, Claudio Abbado
    Giuliano Carmignola, principal violin

Claudio Abbado brings his own flavour to these masterpieces, Carmignola plays as if it is all very easy, and the rest of the ensemble is also fantastic (I can especially mention the harpsichord player).
    The recording is outstanding, the 5 channels provide a real sense of being there (again, the harpsichord is crystal clear).
    What a joy!

Exquisite performances, image and sound.
    Abbado was still in excellent shape there (April 2007).

Bye-Bye Berlin
    Marion Rampal
    Quatuor Manfred

Featuring Raphaël Imbert
    Qobuz 24/44.1

Fantastic evocation of Berlin between the 2 world wars.
    The string quartet is great, Rampal's German diction is quite good, and the bass clarinet and saxes of Imbert are highly enjoyable.

Bye bye… or Berlin for ever?
    Throughout the 1920s, all eyes were turned towards Berlin. Driven by a collective energy, artists of all persuasions (writers, painters, architects, filmmakers and composers) there established the principles of “New Objectivity”, which saw the city become the very epitome of modernity, at the same time as following in the footsteps of other great cities worldwide, not least New York, the birthplace of jazz. Life in Berlin was not the stuff of romance however: strikes, poverty, repression, the rise of Nazism… The post-war social context contributed to the craze that swept the capital for cabaret, a kind of safety valve that allowed for a moral and social release. It is this ephemeral, underground world of “Great Berlin” as depicted in The Blue Angel that Marion Rampal and the Quatuor Manfred invite us to rediscover here, in collaboration with saxophonist Raphaël Imbert: a liberal burst of freedom and humanity delivered with passion! © harmonia mundi

Mozart - Clarinet Concerto K. 622 - Quintettsatz KV Anhang 1 - Clarinet Quintet K. 581
    Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra, Gustavo Gimeno
    Julien Hervé, clarinet
    Qobuz 24/48

Wonderful interpretations of some of the most wonderful clarinet pieces ever written.

After "Waiting for Clara", which focused on the music of Brahms and Schumann, this second album on NoMadMusic from the clarinetist Julien Hervé looks back another few years, to the apex of Classical style, with Mozart’s Quintet and Concerto. After discovering the instrument later in his life, Mozart fell entirely in love with it and dedicated these sublime pieces to it. This hedonistic, luminous programme, recorded live, offers us the opportunity to discover - or rediscover - two of the greatest masterpieces in the clarinet repertoire. © NoMadmusic

Schubert - Symphony no. 9 ('Great') & Five German Dances
    Budapest Festival Orchestra, Iván Fischer

This is one of my favourite symphonies in classical music.
    Fischer delivers another fine performance here.
    It might not be the best version that exists, but I don't own any better one, and the sound is really good too.

Wonderful!
    I sometimes wonder what would have happened if Schubert had lived a bit longer...

We have our tickets for the Budapesters later this year in Brugge!

Schubert - String Quintet D.956 and Quartettstaz D.703
    Tokyo String Quartet
    David Watkin, cello

We saw them live yesterday. Fabulous! Haydn and Bartók.
    This album is also very good. And well recorded.
    Arguably the best chamber music piece ever written.
    (And probably the best performance and recording too?)
    Moving, touching, heartwarming.
    If you realise this was written just before he died, it is even more stunning...

Bach - Sei Solo - The Sonatas and Partitas for Violin Solo
    Thomas Zehetmair
    Qobuz 24/96

Wonderful interpretation of these masterpieces.
    I never tire of hearing them.
    They reveal each listening session an extra layer.
    Yes, Bach was the greatest of them all...

These are the ECM notes:

Composed three centuries ago, Johann Sebastian Bach’s set of six works for solo violin stands as one of the holy grails of the instrument’s literature – perhaps the holiest. Now the great Austrian musician Thomas Zehetmair makes his own mark in the rich history of this music, revisiting the repertoire on period instruments.
    Zehetmair is an extraordinary violinist and a consistently inquisitive and self-questioning artist. He has not only played the big concertos but has given close attention to chamber music and new repertory, and has also found an extra calling as a conductor, channeling this varied experience into his return to the formidable cornerstone of Bach’s solo masterpieces.
    As a young man Zehetmair worked with Nikolaus Harnoncourt in his period ensemble, working with him to prepare for his first recording of the sonatas and partitas on a modern instrument. For this new recording, he draws out exquisite colours from two violins from Bach’s lifetime, both of them by masters in the German tradition, but there is nothing antiquarian in his approach – old instruments, for him, are tools with which to express a modern sensibility: alert, edgy, multivalent. His performance engages, too, with the superb acoustic of the priory church of St Gerold, in Austria where so many legendary ECM recordings have been made.
    Peter Gülke, in his accompanying essay, refers to the “floating spirituality” of this music, and to how Bach here offers one side of a conversation with the performer, whom he leaves free to determine matters of dynamic shading, phrasing and bowing. Zehetmair brings vividness and intelligence to the conversation on a recording that, deeply steeped in the music and true, is at the same time powerfully original. © ECM New Series

This is a recording I very much like: Anne Gastinel, Bach Cello Suites.

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Emmanuel Pahud - Dreamtime
    Münchner Rundfunkorchester, Ivan Repušić
    Qobuz 24/44.1

Wonderful flute playing by Pahud.
    Modern meets classical meets romantic period.
    Works of Penderecki, Reinecke, Mozart, Busoni, Takemitsu.

Arguably the best chamber music piece ever written.
    (And probably the best performance and recording too?)
    Moving, touching, heartwarming.
    If you realise this was written just before he died, it is even more stunning...
    Defintely a great piece however it is not the best piece ever, difficult what the best piece is, depends on my mood but in my opinion this is not in my top list
    Last edited by Alkyogre; January 11, 2020 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Added quote

A small one or tonight, it was time to end the Vienna Valse, they all sound the friggin' same. Lets finish this Valse forever! Ravel made a piece on that theme. A tough birth, followed by something that sounds like the classical Valse and ends with a harsh death. The work became a master on its own

Quote Originally Posted by Alkyogre View Post
    Defintely a great piece however it is not the best piece ever, difficult what the best piece is, depends on my mood but in my opinion this is not in my top list

That's why I wrote 'arguably'.

I'm very interested in hearing about your top picks, if at all possible to say.

Of course it depends on one's mood and the day.
    I love a lot of chamber music.
    From medieval times up to this century.

So much choice, and all so easiily accessible.
    Golden times for music lovers!

A small one or tonight, it was time to end the Vienna Valse, they all sound the friggin' same. Lets finish this Valse forever! Ravel made a piece on that theme. A tough birth, followed by something that sounds like the classical Valse and ends with a harsh death. The work became a master on its own

We heard La Valse earlier this week, by the splendid Brussels Philharmonic.
    It is a complex and fascinating work that honours and destroys the waltz at the same time.

That's why I wrote 'arguably'.

I'm very interested in hearing about your top picks, if at all possible to say.

Of course it depends on one's mood and the day.
    I love a lot of chamber music.
    From medieval times up to this century.

So much choice, and all so easiily accessible.
    Golden times for music lovers!
    I love piano music and my favorite composer is Chopin, really do love opus 13 and 14 but this is not chamber music anymore however in my all time lovelies.

A few pieces I am keen on in chamber music are from chopin valses/preludes/nocturnes
    Brahms Valses opus 39
    Gershwin preludes

difficult to say what is best, and I don’t know alot of pieces, so many things to explore

From my cherished box set: Decca Sound - The Analogue Years

Ravel - L'Enfant et les Sortilèges
    Motet Choir of Geneva
    L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande
    , Ernest Ansermet

Remarkably clear stereo recording from '54.
    It sounds dated of course, and you hear the tape hiss (which is a good thing, as you know they didn't compress the recording), but still very good insight into the stage with the singers and orchestra.

Bonus tracks:

Ma Mère l'Oye - Suite

Recorded in '57.

For tonight a well known cd from Einaudi, elements. Lots of marketing on this: lots of sound, sadly this is not my thing and in my opinion an overrated album.

Mendelssohn - Violin Concerto - Symphony no. 5 - The Hebrides
    Freiburger Barockorchester, Pablo Heras-Casado
    Isabelle Faust, violin
    Qobuz 24/96

We're just back from Bruges where we saw Collegium Vocale, directed by Philippe Herreweghe. This ensemble celebrates its 50th birthday!
    A programme with motets from Mendelssohn.
    This in the Bach weekend, the 10th organised in Brugge.
    Because Mendelssohn was instrumental (pun intended) in reviving Bach, and also because he composed religious music inspired by the great master, this cooncert fitted perfectly in a Bach weekend.
    These motets are wonderful pieces, seldom played and recorded.
    Herreweghe admitted they were new for him too.
    I'm going to examine these on Qobuz, but a quick first search was fruitless.

So I played this wonderful album, also with a baroque orchestra that plays Mendelssohn.
    You can hear this, and it is a nice flavour.

For tonight a well known cd from Einaudi, elements. Lots of marketing on this: lots of sound, sadly this is not my thing and in my opinion an overrated album.

It's not entirely my thing either, but... it attracts young people.
    We experienced this during a concert of his, a couple of years ago.
    A lot of youngsters cheering as if he were Justin Bieber!

My youngest daughter loves him (we took her with us).
    She plays the piano, and his pieces are easier to play than Bach or Satie.
    She started to play and listen to Einaudi and now listens to Satie, Chopin and Ravel.

Classical Music Only | What You're Listening to Now, Or Very Recently | Any Mediums :

Sibelius Symphonies 1-7, Berliner Philharmoniker conducted by Sir Simon Rattle.

Clear vinyl, half-speed mastered, seven LP box, limited to 2.000 copies (641/2000). Excellent performance, very nice SQ.

Symphony #1.

Shostakovich
    Rachmaninoff
    - Sonatas for cello and piano
    Alexander Warenberg
    Guiseppe Guarrera

trptk
    Qobuz 24/96

Very beautiful sonatas.
    If you're in a rather mellow mood, don't be afraid, this is very 'sweet' music!
    Wonderfully recorded, as always with trptk.

Live on BBC 3 radio for streaming: The very last Concert by Bernard Haitink, performing the 4th piano concert by Beethoven and the 7th Symphony by Bruckner at Luzern Festival.

Still 25 days available for stream. It is beautiful! An absolutely opportunity you must not miss.

Smoking Joséphine - Amours, Toujours
    Qobuz 24/88.2

Pretty good, entertaining versions of some classic and popular themes.

Five young women, all top-flight string players, united in a single voice, radiating temperamental sympathies and similarities, deceptive depths, and a caustic sense of humour: this is the challenging vision of "Smoking Joséphine", the 100% feminine ensemble dreamt up by violinist Geneviève Laurenceau as a ‘space for creativity and exploration’, to develop the sophisticated opulence of the string quintet.
    The present album is the result of the special alchemy between Geneviève and her team – Olivia Hughes (violin), Marie Chilemme (viola), Hermine Horiot (cello) and Laurène Durantel Helstroffer (double bass), all acclaimed soloists in their own right, in orchestras and chamber ensembles. This, their very first album, they have dedicated to Love.
    The five artists embody this universal, timeless theme with their characteristic warmth of sound, generous lyricism, and dynamic rhythmic pulse: their programme unfolds like a voyage with surprising discoveries en route, passing through many styles and periods and covering the full range, the many faces of this emotion that rules the heart.
    We can thrill to the passionate love of Prokofiev’s Romeo and Juliet and Bernstein’s West Side Story, the tender romantic reveries of Liszt, Chopin, Kreisler and Elgar, the ghoulish love depicted by Saint-Saëns, the "Bewitched Love" of De Falla ... This quintet, with its unconventional contrabass, has had each of its scores specially made to measure, in arrangements that are the last word in haute couture. © naive classique

Highly enjoying this:

Beethoven - Symphony No. 2
    Schubert - Symphony No. 8 'Unvollendete'
    Brahms - Symphony No. 3 - Poco allegretto
    Intercontinental Ensemble TRAVELING LIGHT
    trptk label
    Qobuz 24/96

I was at an audition yesterday, and I heard the Studio Master of the Brahms piece.
    Ben, the co-owner of the shop also is co-owner of the label.
    Fantastic recording as usual from trptk!
    I'll buy the 5.0 DXD mix when our system will be ready for it.

Why I like this album especially.
    You all know I adore the transparency of the Kuijken approach (less singers, less instruments), where one can appreciate better the melody lines in the work.
    One might say the extreme example of this is the String Quartet which is orchestral music reduced to the bare minimum and as thus an art in itself.
    Here we get a nonet with 9 great international musicians, with Belgian violinist Ernst Spyckerelle who did the arrangements.
    Schubert's 8th will probably be my favourite version of all times, it is that good!

Heartily recommended.

The label has switched from Tidal to Qobuz, because the latter is so much better in sound quality said Ben, but as said, I will download the DXD Studio Master, because this 24/96 stream tastes good, but I want the full monty!

Listening again.
    One of the best releases of last year for me.

Bach - Concertos for two harpsichords
    Olivier Fortin
    Emmanuel Frankenberg
    Ensemble Masques

Qobuz 24/96

Marvellous interpretations of pieces I never tire hearing.
    We saw Olivier Fortin with Skip Sempé a couple of years ago in the intimacy of the Chamber Music Hall in the Brugge Concertgebouw.
    Here he can do his - great - thing with his ensemble.
    Recommended!

The practice of composing for two keyboard instruments, very common in the illustrious Bach family, naturally achieved its apotheosis with Johann Sebastian, whose three concertos for two harpsichords are performed here by Olivier Fortin and Emmanuel Frankenberg with the Ensemble Masques. These works, particularly the Concerto in C minor, are among the composer’s most admired. They suggest a conception of the concerto specific to Bach: rather than a dialogue between several individual entities, the piece presents a subtle intertwining of melodic lines and blurs the distinction between solo and tutti parts by making them respond to and quote each other, thus illustrating the principle of harmony dear to the composer. Finally, the recording on two harpsichords of the Prelude and Fugue BWV 552, originally composed for organ, is in keeping with the nineteenth-century tradition of transposing Bach’s works with the aim of giving their refined polyphony greater clarity. © Naxos

Giving this a second go.
    Marvellous!

Ludwig Van Beethoven - Violin Concerto & Romances
    Liza Ferschtman, violin
    The Netherlands Symphony Orchestra, Jan Willem de Vriend

Very good interpretation of this lovely violin concerto.
    Ferschtman is subtle but powerful at the same time.
    The orchestra does a superb job.
    The recording is crystal clear.
    Highly recommended.

Listening to this wonderful recording in the Beethoven year.

We've just heard Liza Ferschtman live in the Chamber Music Hall in Brugge.
    Works from Bartók, Enescu and Brahms.
    Sitting less than 3 meters from her and her piano quartet, we were fully immersed in the music.
    She's a very skilled and enthusiastic musician!

I posted this before.
    One of my "deserted island records".

When I listen to this, my whole self is taken back to that fantastic night in Bruges, where this pianist played quite some of these works.
    Every time again, I am deeply touched by them.
    Long term effects of live concerts, they do exist.
    What a great hobby we have...

From SACD-net:

I don't have time for an extensive piece by piece review, but suffice it to say that this recording contains beautiful playing captured in beautiful sound. El Bach's name is new to me, but he has quite an impressive background and has won prestigious competitions.

My test piece by Ravel is "Gaspard de la Nuit." Compared to Ivo Pogorelich, El Bacha does not so consciously/overtly "interpret" the music. He very elegantly (and dramatically when called for) presents the composer's music with stunning accuracy--this piece certainly seems not to hold any technical terrors for him. Pogorelich's "Scarbo" may scamper around a bit more menacingly at times, but El Bacha's still contains plenty of impact and is played with very musical phrasing. He's not from the daredevil "look ma no hands" school where the bravura obscures the music. This is not to say he doesn't add his own interpretive touches; it's just that he seems to want to present the music first rather than showing off his chops, of which he has plenty.

The sound is crystal clear with a medium distance perspective: the mics are not under the lid, nor are they in the rear of the hall. I'd say it's similar to Silverman's Mozart Sonatas on IsoMike--perhaps a bit brighter. The rear channels contain ambient information and virtually no direct sound.

So, if you place musical clarity and structure over throat-grabbing displays of prestidigitation, then this set might just be for you.

It's already too late, but I can't shut the system down.
    I'm addicted to these pieces.
    Listening in 5.0.

Sir Simon Rattle, Berliner Philharmoniker: Jean Sibelius, Symphony no. 5.

I posted this before.
    One of my "deserted island records".

When I listen to this, my whole self is taken back to that fantastic night in Bruges, where this pianist played quite some of these works.
    Every time again, I am deeply touched by them.
    Long term effects of live concerts, they do exist.
    What a great hobby we have...

From SACD-net:

I don't have time for an extensive piece by piece review, but suffice it to say that this recording contains beautiful playing captured in beautiful sound. El Bach's name is new to me, but he has quite an impressive background and has won prestigious competitions.

My test piece by Ravel is "Gaspard de la Nuit." Compared to Ivo Pogorelich, El Bacha does not so consciously/overtly "interpret" the music. He very elegantly (and dramatically when called for) presents the composer's music with stunning accuracy--this piece certainly seems not to hold any technical terrors for him. Pogorelich's "Scarbo" may scamper around a bit more menacingly at times, but El Bacha's still contains plenty of impact and is played with very musical phrasing. He's not from the daredevil "look ma no hands" school where the bravura obscures the music. This is not to say he doesn't add his own interpretive touches; it's just that he seems to want to present the music first rather than showing off his chops, of which he has plenty.

The sound is crystal clear with a medium distance perspective: the mics are not under the lid, nor are they in the rear of the hall. I'd say it's similar to Silverman's Mozart Sonatas on IsoMike--perhaps a bit brighter. The rear channels contain ambient information and virtually no direct sound.

So, if you place musical clarity and structure over throat-grabbing displays of prestidigitation, then this set might just be for you.

It's already too late, but I can't shut the system down.
    I'm addicted to these pieces.
    Listening in 5.0.
    This is a really fine recording indeed.

Thanks for posting.

Oxalys - A conversation between friends

CD 1 of this fantastic box set, that has become one of our favourites.

'Prélude' it's called.

The Debussy is world famous of course, but what the ensemble with mezzo-soprano Christianne Stotijn, does with the utterly delicious work 'Quatre poèmes hindous' from Maurice Delage is stunning. One of the highlights of our collection for sure

Listening to works we heard live Friday night:

Bartók - Chamber Works for Violin: 44 Duos - Contrasts - Sonatina
    James Ehnes, violin
    Michael Collins, clarinet
    Amy Schwartz Moretti, violin
    Andrew Armstrong, piano
    Qobuz 24/96

We enjoyed the Duos very much.
    Each time short stories, from half a minute to 2 minutes max.
    Sadness, joy, dance, excitement,... it's amazing what you can express in such a short time.

Double post.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    This is a really fine recording indeed.

Thanks for posting.

Most welcome!

Next piece Friday night was the Enescu sonata.

This is a good version:

Beethoven - Sonata in G major, Op. 96 for Piano and Violin
    Enescu - Sonata No. 3 Op. 25 in Rumanian Folkstyle
    David Abel, violin
    Julie Steinberg, piano
    Qobuz 24/176.4

Paired with Beethoven here.
    The Enescu Sonata is full of emotion.

We finished the Friday concert with Brahms' first Piano Quartet.
    Well, we got a great encore, the Andante of the 3rd Piano Quartet.

Brahms - Klavierquartett op. 25
    Schumann - Fantasiestücke op. 88
    Argerich - Kremer - Bashmet - Maisky
    Qobuz 24/96

When you look at the musicians here, you know you're in for a treat.

George Enescu - Violin Sonata No. 3 / Romanian Rhapsody No. 1
    Yehudi & Hephzibah Menuhin
    USSR State Symphony Orchestra, Alexander Gauk

via Qobuz

Comparing the Wilson recording with this 30s version of the Enescu Sonata.
    Sound: Wilson wins.
    Performance: Menuhin, a landslide victory.

Alexandre Tharaud - Versailles
    Qobuz 24/96

Somehow, I forgot to listen to this album when it came out in November '19.
    Maybe I thought that I knew the pieces he plays on this album already too well.
    Well, I heard his Rameau on the radio today, and I was exhilarated.
    He's doing better than Angela Hewitt!
    Hewitt was my reference for Rameau on the piano so far.

Subtle and powerful at the same time, with details, ornaments - it is baroque after all! - in the music coming up more clearly than I had ever heard.
    Very heartily recommended for fans of the French music of this era.
    I am even more so now.

One never comes across any ordinariness when following Alexandre Tharaud’s career. This new album is as impressive in the originality of its conception as much as its meticulous musical delivery. The French pianist appears to be nostalgic towards two different golden ages: that of 17th-century music, and that of the French piano during the 1950s, specifically Marcelle Meyer’s inspiring playing which Tharaud remains motivated by.
    The “Versailles” which has attracted Alexandre Tharaud, and serves as the title for this recital is less Louis XIV’s opulent world of wonder and more of an intimate world of secret music. Without any difficulty, the pianist manages to make these pieces specifically written for the harpsichord his own, even going as far as inviting young harpsichordist Justin Taylor to join him for a rendition of Rameau’s Les Sauvages... for four hands on the piano!
    If the pianist Marcelle Meyer had recorded Rameau and Couperin in an era more liberal than today, Alexandre Tharaud has the audacity to go against musicological rules for the listener’s benefit. Of course, we are accustomed to Bach, Scarlatti, Couperin and Rameau on the modern piano, but Pancrace Royer, Robert de Visée, Jean-Henry D’Anglebert and Jacques Duphly are suddenly thrust into the limelight of this musical collection which incidentally highlights their relevance. © François Hudry/Qobuz

Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1924252627282930 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Classical Music Only | What You're Listening to Now, Or Very Recently | Any Mediums :