Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20252627282930
Results 1,451 to 1,477 of 1477

Re: Classical Music Only | What You're Listening to Now, Or Very Recently | Any Mediums :

Marini - Uccellini - Rognoni - Rossi - Selma - Dalla Casa - Kapsberger - L'Arte dii diminuire
    L'Estro d'Orfeo, Leonor de Lera
    Qobuz 24/88.2

This is one I want to hear in multi-channel.
    As always with Challenge Classics, a crystal clear recording.
    Invigorating playing, it really draws you into the music.

Diminutions, the art of extemporary embellishment or melodic variation, were an essential part of performance practice of the Renaissance and early Baroque periods. The basis of diminutions is the fragmentation of a long note or series of long notes into many shorter and faster ones that move around the original melody. In the 16th and early 17th centuries, a composition as written by the composer was often regarded as raw material and it was normal and even required of musicians to embellish the works performed. The number of treatises that were devoted to the teaching of this subject is a clear indication of the importance of diminutions at that time.
    Most of these manuals included a collection of decorated melodies taken from renowned madrigals, motets and chansons by well-known composers of the time. These pieces give clear examples of how music was performed during that time and what was considered the proper way to embellish a piece of music. Often technically demanding, these pieces gave scope for virtuoso display as they required great dexterity from the performer. In conclusion, diminutions were added to make a piece of music more ‘beautiful’.
    This programme explores the widespread practice of diminutions by presenting published examples of diminutions on well-known motets, by master composers; diminutions on popular melodies or dance forms and finally, diminutions composed by the performer as artist. © Challenge Classics
    Vivid Audio - Burmester - Hegel - Marantz - Oppo - Pioneer 60" - Wireworld

Re: Classical Music Only | What You're Listening to Now, Or Very Recently | Any Mediums :

I try to pick at least one totally unknown composer a week from the numerous new releases.
    The Ricercar label seldom disappoints:

Johann Paul Von Westhoff - Suites for Solo Violin
    Plamena Nikitassova
    Qobuz 24/96

It reminds me of Biber.
    And I can hear from where Bach's inspiration came, although it is not in the same league as the later master.
    Absolutely worthy of my time.
    I do like well composed solo violin pieces.

Johann Paul von Westhoff (1656-1705) was one of the most brilliant members of the significant school of violinists that flourished in seventeenth-century Dresden. This impressive virtuoso, who was even applauded by Louis XIV at Versailles, wrote the very first compositions for unaccompanied violin, which of course foreshadow the later masterpieces of Johann Sebastian Bach. The programme recorded here includes some suites from his collection published in Dresden in 1696, as well as the suite that was printed in the Mercure galant of Paris in 1683, following his visit to Versailles.

Quote Originally Posted by bart View Post
    Telemann - 12 Fantaisies
    Héloïse Gaillard, flutes

Take away one instrument from this recording and you end up with... complete silence!
    Amazing recording.
    And Telemann is absolutely one of my favourite baroque composers.

Agogique gave us some fantastic recordings.
    I cherish their albums I own.

Without words.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Bach - Harpsichord Concertos
    Il Pomo d'Oro, Francesco Corti
    Qobuz 24/96

These masterpieces can be heard over and over again.
    In this album the harpsichord has a very pronounced place - its righteous place - in the recording.
    Recommended.

Bach’s harpsichord concertos are arguably the first in the history of music designed specifically for this instrument. Composing them, Bach aimed to adapt the string writing of Italian instrumental concertos to a keyboard instrument, while simultaneously enriching this style with typically-German traits such as counterpoint and motivic development.
    Francesco Corti and il pomo d’oro present Concertos BWV 1052, 1053, 1055 and 1058 as the first volume of what should become a cycle spanning four albums. Corti has chosen to combine these four concertos for the full orchestral sound they call for, while later recordings in this series will have a chamber setting in comparison. For tempo choices and melodic variations, Corti has been inspired by treatises from Bach’s time, as well as the composer’s own written-out ornamentations. © Pentatone

Edit: Strange that all the Qobuz covers disappear(ed) in this thread...

Roon/Qobuz 96/24

Pass Labs XP-20 | Auralic Altair G1 | Odyssey Audio Stratos Monoblocks | JVC XL-Z411 | Nakamichi DR-1 | Technics SL-1700MK2 | Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2

Listening to Beethoven's monumental Missa Solemnis. He spent almost five years composing this piece and believed it to be his best work. An all star cast: Studer, Norman, Domingo, Moll, Leipzig and Swedish Radio Choirs, Vienna Philharmonic, James Levine, DG CD.
    The choirs in the final movement (Agnus Dei) will take your breath away.

this is an album I was looking for: but I was too early in my search. Since a few years I was looking for work by the composer Litolff, but sadly I failed. And.. to be honest, when talking about great composers, not many think about him. Since I listened to a piece, the Scherzo, a few years ago was looking for more records over and over and could not find not in the local shops, not in the big cities, neither on the internet, and neither on vacation Octobre last year, even not in 2 big “classical” music stores in Athens, amazing shops by the way. Litolff is simply a forgotten composer and that is a shame.

These days I came across that a new album was made in januari 2020 the piano trios by Leonore piano trio. This album is not available for stream, only available as digital file or cd. I decided to buy that cd, in my country only one shop had this one in stock the other choice was directly buying from the UK, but that country is in lock down.

The cd arrived today, put it in my disc, and oh my.... This work is amazing, and the performance... perfect. The tracks with violin, cello and piano they sound lovely together

In my opinion: this is one of these albums that everyone must listen: I am so happy with this cd,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Monsier de Sainte-Colombe et ses filles
    Philippe Pierlot - Lucile Boulanger - Myriam Rignol - Rolf Lislevand
    Qobuz 24/96

Pieces I know very well.
    But they are played in a really marvellous way here.
    These players have equalled Jordi Savall on the instrument.
    This album goes right into my favourites.
    Brilliant, and heartily recommended if you like Sainte-Colombe!

I like Lislevand’s Nuove Musiche on the ECM New Series.

Will try after this has finished:

Lots of 20th century influences on Weiland’s String Quarters (DSCH, ....) but still a nice discovery and a perfect example of the sort of thing I never would have encountered without Qobuz/Tidal.
    Parker

Edit: the dam pix were there in the draft.
    Last edited by pdub; April 18, 2020 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Pix disappeared

Quote Originally Posted by pdub View Post
    I like Lislevand’s Nuove Musiche on the ECM New Series.

Will try after this has finished:

Lots of 20th century influences on Weiland’s String Quarters (DSCH, ....) but still a nice discovery and a perfect example of the sort of thing I never would have encountered without Qobuz/Tidal.
    Parker

Edit: the dam pix were there in the draft.

Hi Parker,

Yes, the pictures disappear when we post them.
    All Qobuz pictures in the music threads have disappeared, but I thiink Mke is working on it.

Hi Parker,

Yes, the pictures disappear when we post them.
    All Qobuz pictures in the music threads have disappeared, but I thiink Mke is working on it.
    Actually, I copied the pix from Presto. The PITA aspect is that when going back and forth to Presto I have to sign back in to AS for some reason ...
    Like the Sainte Columbe. Good call!

Classical Music Only | What You're Listening to Now, Or Very Recently | Any Mediums :

Hilary Hahn, Bach Concertos. Really lovely, light-footed and delicate play.

Interesting thing is that when I bought the vinyl there was a CD in the sleeve as well. It was not even mentioned on Amazon it’s included.

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Mahler - Symphony No. 4 (arr. Erwin Stein
    Ferruccio Busoni - Berceuse élégiaque (arr; Erwin Stein
    Oxalys

CD 4 from this box:

Excellent, with terrific sound.
    Playing these orchestral pieces with a chamber ensemble gives a clarity and transparency that I adore.

Very very enjoyable.
    One of my favourite versions of this symphony... :music:

Hi folks, I've been away for a while. Anyway, this is a wonderful binaural DSD256 recording. The realism and detail are astounding.

B&W803D3; McIntosh MA9000 integrated amp; Esoteric K-03 SACD/CD player; VPI Prime Signature/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze; Sennheiser HD800S and AudezeLCD-XC headphones

Rachmaninoff's 3rd PC Abduraimov pianist. Saw him live coupla years ago doing this and he gave great performance. Amazon has CD RCO19003

NAXOS: Celebrate Beethoven

Classical Music Only | What You're Listening to Now, Or Very Recently | Any Mediums :

A very interesting Vivaldi recording from super-violinist Patricia Kopatchinskaja. The 15-member ensemble are all playing period instruments, which can be heard nicely.

another winner from jordi savall that i have come across recently:
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | air tight atc-5 + atm-300r | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + kanjiroba diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

Beethoven late quartets tonight... Op 130 Bb at the moment, with the later-extracted Op 133 "Grosse Fugue" to follow.

The Julliard Quartet, Columbia
    Harbeth C7ES-3/30 • Pass Labs XA30.5 • McIntosh C220 • Modwright/Sony SCD-XA5400ES • VPI Scout+ADS/JMW-9/Nagaoka MP-500
    "[N]ot everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." -William Bruce Cameron
    "Measurements do not lie, but neither do they tell the whole truth." -John Atkinson

have spent the last two weeks listening to the catalogue of cellist anja lechner

i really like her recordings with piano as the only other primary instrument -- here are my favorites so far with the melos title being listed as a jazz recording.
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | air tight atc-5 + atm-300r | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + kanjiroba diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

Great natural sounding decca recording.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    hifi:
    power: Audioplan Powerstar, Audioplan Finefilter, Audioplan Powerplant, Powercord
    tube amp: Jadis DA 50 Signature RC, Line Magnetic 508ia
    speaker: Living Voice Avatar 2
    turntable: Pro-Ject Xtension 10 + Ortofon Quintet Black MC
    phono stage: Remton 383 MKII
    cables: Audioplan Musicable bic 7a, Profigold, Wilbrand

home-cinema: Sony blu-ray, Yamaha rx v2700, Heco Metas 700 (4x), Heco center

Pass Labs XP-20 | Auralic Altair G1 | Odyssey Audio Stratos Monoblocks | JVC XL-Z411 | Nakamichi DR-1 | Technics SL-1700MK2 | Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20252627282930
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team