The Front End Digital Foundation - Page 7
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 71
  1. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Seattle Washington USA
    Posts
    646
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Front End Digital Foundation

    I put my new/used HD Plex power supply on my Router and Modem. I already have a Linear Solution switch with a linear PS. I have all Blue Jeans Ethernet cables. Ed is right. Big change. Big !!!! Much more bass. More clarity as heard by more natural instrument tones. It benefitted everything. Not just the streamed or stored in my NAS. The music stored in my Mojo Audio server usb connected to my Mojo Audio dac also sounds significantly better. I guess it goes to show, injected noise from any source brings the whole of the system down. I'm glad Ed got me excited to go this route.

  2. Likes UltraFast69 liked this post
  3. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    924
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Front End Digital Foundation

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingrex View Post
    I put my new/used HD Plex power supply on my Router and Modem. I already have a Linear Solution switch with a linear PS. I have all Blue Jeans Ethernet cables. Ed is right. Big change. Big !!!! Much more bass. More clarity as heard by more natural instrument tones. It benefitted everything. Not just the streamed or stored in my NAS. The music stored in my Mojo Audio server usb connected to my Mojo Audio dac also sounds significantly better. I guess it goes to show, injected noise from any source brings the whole of the system down. I'm glad Ed got me excited to go this route.
    Glad to hear Rex, it’s these little things and really doesn’t matter if your streaming, spinning discs or playing albums - it turns a system into more for little cost especially in comparison.
    Power Conditioning, Filters & Switch: Nordost QRT Power Product Line, Furutech GTX-D NCF/GTX 105D, 20 AMP Dedicated w/Surge Protection, AQVox SE switch, Keces LPS P3 & P8 w/Nordost AC power and Ghent DC cables for the Gigafoil v4, modem, routers and switches.
    Cables, Isolation, Room Treatment: Nordost Supreme Reference (Odin) Distribution, Reference Line (Valhalla 2) Components and Speakers, HRS M3X Platforms & Damping Plates. Stillpoint’s Ultra 6/SS and Vicoustic Room Treatments
    Power & Sound: D’Agostino Pre-Amplifier to D’Agostino Momentum Mono’s driving Wilson Alexia’s
    Source and Digital: Aurender N10, Brinkmann Nyquist MKII



  4. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    924
    Post Thanks / Like

    The Front End Digital Foundation

    After I hooked up the 6 gauge copper wire from the switch to the cable junction box I noticed the grounding cable for the cable and phone was attached to the incoming water pipe on a Copper line - the home is all Copper, no Pex.

    Last night I tied into the clamp and heard a difference but was not thinking as good as when it was in the cable box, there was now 4 pieces of wire in the existing clamp at different diameters, plus some were stranded, others solid - then I did some reading after the fact and realized it was said not to tie in with cable and phone because their issues could become mine.

    So I bought two new grounding clamps, keeping the 6 gauge audio separate, then cleaned the pipe and was cautious when placing the audio clamp onto the pipe as the elbow is about an inch off and don’t want to break soder.

    Let me tell you the difference was now greater then the cable box tie in, and I had a hunch this was gonna happen.

    That little noisy AQVox SE switch needs to be tamed and begs for grounding, and that’s what I gave her My system is killing it as it should for that pile of cash sunken into it, and it every TV and Streamer in the home has taken a step up as well.

    So if your not using linear on the switch, and your switch has a grounding screw then consider following something like I did as an option, I now have under $20.00 in this and the work was simple at best.





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Power Conditioning, Filters & Switch: Nordost QRT Power Product Line, Furutech GTX-D NCF/GTX 105D, 20 AMP Dedicated w/Surge Protection, AQVox SE switch, Keces LPS P3 & P8 w/Nordost AC power and Ghent DC cables for the Gigafoil v4, modem, routers and switches.
    Cables, Isolation, Room Treatment: Nordost Supreme Reference (Odin) Distribution, Reference Line (Valhalla 2) Components and Speakers, HRS M3X Platforms & Damping Plates. Stillpoint’s Ultra 6/SS and Vicoustic Room Treatments
    Power & Sound: D’Agostino Pre-Amplifier to D’Agostino Momentum Mono’s driving Wilson Alexia’s
    Source and Digital: Aurender N10, Brinkmann Nyquist MKII



  5. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    924
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Front End Digital Foundation

    I received via Amazon the iFi Groundhog Spade Connector as Puma Cat suggested and connected this to the AQVox SE, the same switch I just hooked up 6 gauge copper to.

    Once again the system is impacted, but I need more time to assess the results. What I did notice is while the Aurender now is as silent as a lamb, I need my PreAmp at 50% to get the same result before at 40%, but there is no fatigue and the detail and openness is there on high, mid and low frequencies. So I find it odd I need more power if noise is being removed from the line, I would think the opposite would happen like I’m hearing in my bedroom system. I will look at my gain adjustment on my DAC which is at 70%, and maybe it needs to go up 1 or 2 clicks.

    I do believe noise travels through other components via interconnects, cables etc and to get the most out of your system the electrical foundation needs to be squared away, and you can tune your system with cables, their configurement, isolation and everything under the sun.

    I also found out the SMPS was the culprit that affected the server and PreAmp with noise, and this makes sense as the plug has no ground.

    I also believe every action has a reaction, meaning you can overdo things and either need to correct for it or remove it and sometimes it’s best to leave well enough alone.

    So just when I thought I was out, I’m pulled back in


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Power Conditioning, Filters & Switch: Nordost QRT Power Product Line, Furutech GTX-D NCF/GTX 105D, 20 AMP Dedicated w/Surge Protection, AQVox SE switch, Keces LPS P3 & P8 w/Nordost AC power and Ghent DC cables for the Gigafoil v4, modem, routers and switches.
    Cables, Isolation, Room Treatment: Nordost Supreme Reference (Odin) Distribution, Reference Line (Valhalla 2) Components and Speakers, HRS M3X Platforms & Damping Plates. Stillpoint’s Ultra 6/SS and Vicoustic Room Treatments
    Power & Sound: D’Agostino Pre-Amplifier to D’Agostino Momentum Mono’s driving Wilson Alexia’s
    Source and Digital: Aurender N10, Brinkmann Nyquist MKII



  6. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    924
    Post Thanks / Like

    The Front End Digital Foundation

    More gains, does it end?

    See below...
    Power Conditioning, Filters & Switch: Nordost QRT Power Product Line, Furutech GTX-D NCF/GTX 105D, 20 AMP Dedicated w/Surge Protection, AQVox SE switch, Keces LPS P3 & P8 w/Nordost AC power and Ghent DC cables for the Gigafoil v4, modem, routers and switches.
    Cables, Isolation, Room Treatment: Nordost Supreme Reference (Odin) Distribution, Reference Line (Valhalla 2) Components and Speakers, HRS M3X Platforms & Damping Plates. Stillpoint’s Ultra 6/SS and Vicoustic Room Treatments
    Power & Sound: D’Agostino Pre-Amplifier to D’Agostino Momentum Mono’s driving Wilson Alexia’s
    Source and Digital: Aurender N10, Brinkmann Nyquist MKII



  7. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    924
    Post Thanks / Like

    The Front End Digital Foundation

    Hello Sharks:

    Added the iFi with Spade to the AQVox SE switch using the repurposed Nordost Red Dawn power cable formerly feeding the Keces P8 and replacing it with an AudioQuest Thunder Source power cable to the P8.

    The iFi spade contributed a modest gain to noise reduction, and wanted to be sure I wasn’t losing anything as I was suspicious. I believe the Red Dawn did something here, but not sure as the Thunder was put in and the first hour you could hear where things might go, then the burn in on the Thunder set in, making me shut the amps off and let the cable do it’s thing over night. The next morning was a night and day difference, Thunder is bringing things together nicely.

    Takeaway;

    - iFi proved a modest gain in conjunction with my 6 gauge solid copper passive addition, a better cable may make a difference but not sure - the iFi grounding process uses electrical grounding whereas my 6 gauge switch grounding is what I consider passive

    - power cables influence Linear Power Supplies, and the Keces in my system performed horribly with an Ansuz C2, good with a Audioquest NRG 2, better with a Nordost Red Dawn and well on its way with the Audioquest Thunder Source passing all.

    - Pay attention to what’s coming into your system as you can rob performance from other pieces in your system.

    - Grounding; electrical and passive makes a good system into a great system!

    Happy Listening!






    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Power Conditioning, Filters & Switch: Nordost QRT Power Product Line, Furutech GTX-D NCF/GTX 105D, 20 AMP Dedicated w/Surge Protection, AQVox SE switch, Keces LPS P3 & P8 w/Nordost AC power and Ghent DC cables for the Gigafoil v4, modem, routers and switches.
    Cables, Isolation, Room Treatment: Nordost Supreme Reference (Odin) Distribution, Reference Line (Valhalla 2) Components and Speakers, HRS M3X Platforms & Damping Plates. Stillpoint’s Ultra 6/SS and Vicoustic Room Treatments
    Power & Sound: D’Agostino Pre-Amplifier to D’Agostino Momentum Mono’s driving Wilson Alexia’s
    Source and Digital: Aurender N10, Brinkmann Nyquist MKII



  8. #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    163
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Front End Digital Foundation

    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    Hello Sharks:

    Added the iFi with Spade to the AQVox SE switch using the repurposed Nordost Red Dawn power cable formerly feeding the Keces P8 and replacing it with an AudioQuest Thunder Source power cable to the P8.

    The iFi spade contributed a modest gain to noise reduction, and wanted to be sure I wasn’t losing anything as I was suspicious. I believe the Red Dawn did something here, but not sure as the Thunder was put in and the first hour you could hear where things might go, then the burn in on the Thunder set in, making me shut the amps off and let the cable do it’s thing over night. The next morning was a night and day difference, Thunder is bringing things together nicely.

    Takeaway;

    - iFi proved a modest gain in conjunction with my 6 gauge solid copper passive addition, a better cable may make a difference but not sure - the iFi grounding process uses electrical grounding whereas my 6 gauge switch grounding is what I consider passive

    - power cables influence Linear Power Supplies, and the Keces in my system performed horribly with an Ansuz C2, good with a Audioquest NRG 2, better with a Nordost Red Dawn and well on its way with the Audioquest Thunder Source passing all.

    - Pay attention to what’s coming into your system as you can rob performance from other pieces in your system.

    - Grounding; electrical and passive makes a good system into a great system!

    Happy Listening!






    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

    Great information, Ed. I can’t imagine going through the detailed A/B testing you’re going through.
    For instance, trying 4 different power cables feeding your power supply!
    One question: Are you using a separate grounding from your switch in addition to the Keces
    lpsu? I thought the LPS would negate the need for additional grounding?
    Source: Roon Nucleus, Cisco 2960 Switch, Gigafoil, Lampizator Pacific Dac. Amp: Luxman 300q power amp, Linear Tube Audio MZ3 pre amp Speakers: AvantGarde Duo Mezzo XD, JL Audio e112 subs. Cables: Alan Maher Designs Power, Duelund Speaker and Interconnects, Audioquest Diamond ethernet. Room Treatment from Vicoustic.

  9. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    924
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Front End Digital Foundation

    Hey there -

    The Keces only powers the modem and a router. The AQ Vox SE uses its own SMPS switch that the manufacture indicates not to change as it has been tuned, even using after market ones they even sell. I tried changing this to a LPS and AQ proved to be right, at least in my case.

    So the AQ VOX SE has the 6 gauge passive copper grounding i made up (major step forward) and the iFi current grounding (minor step forward) plugs into the Nordost Red Dawn power Cable which plugged into the Keces - just not 100% sure what the Red Dawn power cable did but think it added something but that is a “think" statement. Now the Thunder Source into the Keces P8, it was another major step forward, no “thinking" there, it was a "know"

    Happy listening!
    Power Conditioning, Filters & Switch: Nordost QRT Power Product Line, Furutech GTX-D NCF/GTX 105D, 20 AMP Dedicated w/Surge Protection, AQVox SE switch, Keces LPS P3 & P8 w/Nordost AC power and Ghent DC cables for the Gigafoil v4, modem, routers and switches.
    Cables, Isolation, Room Treatment: Nordost Supreme Reference (Odin) Distribution, Reference Line (Valhalla 2) Components and Speakers, HRS M3X Platforms & Damping Plates. Stillpoint’s Ultra 6/SS and Vicoustic Room Treatments
    Power & Sound: D’Agostino Pre-Amplifier to D’Agostino Momentum Mono’s driving Wilson Alexia’s
    Source and Digital: Aurender N10, Brinkmann Nyquist MKII



  10. Likes Puma Cat liked this post
  11. #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    137
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Front End Digital Foundation

    Quote Originally Posted by Willco View Post
    Thanks


    Great information, Ed. I can’t imagine going through the detailed A/B testing you’re going through.
    For instance, trying 4 different power cables feeding your power supply!
    One question: Are you using a separate grounding from your switch in addition to the Keces
    lpsu? I thought the LPS would negate the need for additional grounding?
    The LPS may be passing high-impedance leakage currents, this is what the fix that UltraFast has ameliorated using the iFi Groundhog spade connector going to ground.

  12. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    924
    Post Thanks / Like

    The Front End Digital Foundation

    Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    The LPS may be passing high-impedance leakage currents, this is what the fix that UltraFast has ameliorated using the iFi Groundhog spade connector going to ground.
    Puma, Something kept bugging me on the iFi, the modest gain was there, but I was losing sound - an oxymoron. I first powered iFi with the OEM Keces power cable, then switched to Nordost Red Dawn, thinking maybe Red Dawn may of been too much, so back to the OEM to no avail, leading to pulling it from service and Amazoning it back.

    You may laugh, but I like playing specific songs when critical listening, one of them is Madonna’s Vogue. This song is recorded in Q Sound where the phase is adjusted and it gives a surround illusion - my system kills this in a good way, blowing away all guests. I literally was losing the virtual percussion tapping on the far right side of me, all other songs were prevalent as well.

    This may work good for others, just not in my application.




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Power Conditioning, Filters & Switch: Nordost QRT Power Product Line, Furutech GTX-D NCF/GTX 105D, 20 AMP Dedicated w/Surge Protection, AQVox SE switch, Keces LPS P3 & P8 w/Nordost AC power and Ghent DC cables for the Gigafoil v4, modem, routers and switches.
    Cables, Isolation, Room Treatment: Nordost Supreme Reference (Odin) Distribution, Reference Line (Valhalla 2) Components and Speakers, HRS M3X Platforms & Damping Plates. Stillpoint’s Ultra 6/SS and Vicoustic Room Treatments
    Power & Sound: D’Agostino Pre-Amplifier to D’Agostino Momentum Mono’s driving Wilson Alexia’s
    Source and Digital: Aurender N10, Brinkmann Nyquist MKII



 

 
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast