The Front End Digital Foundation - Page 4
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Front End Digital Foundation

An interesting read Ultrafast69.

I love these sorts of commentaries.

I think the digital front end is the next great exploration ground to open up possibilities and unlock further potential of our systems. Keep it up.
    Borresen Acoustics ApS Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_1282001 View Post
    An interesting read Ultrafast69.

I love these sorts of commentaries.

I think the digital front end is the next great exploration ground to open up possibilities and unlock further potential of our systems. Keep it up.
    Totally agree and I just updated with some clarity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Power Conditioning, Filters & Switch: Nordost QRT Power Product Line, Furutech GTX-D NCF/GTX 105D, 20 AMP Dedicated w/Surge Protection, AQVox SE switch, Keces LPS P3’s & P8 w/Nordost AC power and Ghent DC cables for Gigafoil v4, modem, routers, switches & Stillpoints.
    Cables, Isolation, Room Treatment: Nordost Supreme Reference (Odin) Distribution, Reference Line (Valhalla 2) Components and Speakers, HRS M3X Platforms & Damping Plates. Stillpoint’s Ultra 6/SS and Vicoustic Room Treatments
    Power & Sound: D’Agostino Pre-Amplifier to D’Agostino Momentum Mono’s driving Wilson Alexia’s
    Source and Digital: Aurender N10, Brinkmann Nyquist MKII

Post Thanks / Like

very informative and useful thread which i have been following with interest -- you are certainly on a mission to extract every last bit of SQ from your digital source. thanks for reporting your findings and progress here.

based upon my experience as well, there are huge gains in SQ to be had by addressing the front-end digital infrastructure with the simple goal of making it transparent and, thereby, allowing the rest of the system to perform at its potential. having the benefit of starting from scratch, i was able to implement a quite minimalist digital front-end (described in this thread) which yielded a system SQ improvement far beyond my initial expectations.

looking forward to hearing more results from your project -- as well as the experience of others here.
    kanjiroba 6883-yak + roon rock > t+a dac 8 dsd > almarro a318b > viking acoustics berlin r mk-ii | alp-tone audio alp.wE cables

4. Thanks UltraFast69 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

With such big gains on a power cord, it makes you wonder what a better PS might do. Keces from the talk I hear is a good middle to top of middle performer. There are others that are better. More money yes.

Post Thanks / Like

The Front End Digital Foundation

Quote Originally Posted by Kingrex View Post
    With such big gains on a power cord, it makes you wonder what a better PS might do. Keces from the talk I hear is a good middle to top of middle performer. There are others that are better. More money yes.
    I honestly did not believe a power cable would have any affect on a linear power supply, but it so did.

Can you get a better power supply, of course. The question is how better do you need to run a modem and switch?

A $5000 Ansuz power cable on a $100 modem puts things into perspective from the point that too much of a good thing can be deadly, it was just way too much for me, so there has to be a balance in there somewhere. Personally I think the Audioquest checks that box and I am so happy with what I did and what I am hearing.

Now once you install the dedicated line in the mechanical room, I can’t help but wonder if it will emulate the Ansuz - we will both see.

Luckily it’s only money

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Power Conditioning, Filters & Switch: Nordost QRT Power Product Line, Furutech GTX-D NCF/GTX 105D, 20 AMP Dedicated w/Surge Protection, AQVox SE switch, Keces LPS P3’s & P8 w/Nordost AC power and Ghent DC cables for Gigafoil v4, modem, routers, switches & Stillpoints.
    Cables, Isolation, Room Treatment: Nordost Supreme Reference (Odin) Distribution, Reference Line (Valhalla 2) Components and Speakers, HRS M3X Platforms & Damping Plates. Stillpoint’s Ultra 6/SS and Vicoustic Room Treatments
    Power & Sound: D’Agostino Pre-Amplifier to D’Agostino Momentum Mono’s driving Wilson Alexia’s

Post Thanks / Like

Why would anybody pay $5000 for a re-badged Chinese built switch?
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon Dl-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Nuprime CDT-8, Teac Reference NT-505, PS Audio DirectStream DAC w/Bridge II, Kinki Studio EX-M1 , Reynaud Abscissa Jubilee, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Dueland IC's, Triode Wire Labs SC & PC's, Equi=Core 1800, PI Audio Uberbuss, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, W4S Recovery with iPower, Nuprime DAC-10, Nuprime ST-10, Nola KO's, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Audio Sensibility SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Why would anybody pay $5000 for a re-badged Chinese built switch?
    ?

Post Thanks / Like

Heres more support why everything matters, and some things don’t with the caveat of system and ears depending...

I stole my Ultra SS Stillpoints from under the transport and put them under the Keces 8 when I got it, now I had the idea to pull the Ultra SS from under the AQVOx switch in the audio room and replace them with a HRS Nimbus isolator puck and repurpose the Ultra SS under the transport - HUGE MISTAKE, everything flattened out. The Ultra SS went back under the AQVox and everything came back. This shows to me that those little switches are noisy M’Fkrs.

Earlier I tried to use Stillpoints under the Gigafoil, and I lost dynamics, so the Gigafoil only sits on a small piece of stone,

The Stillpoints did work on the Transport, but since I hardly use it was the reason to see if the change would work.

10. Thanks sid325 thanked for this post
    Likes sid325 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Latest updates, sound is dialed in very nice, and here is where I should leave well enough alone.

So, knowing this, I threw in a single Stillpoints Ultra 6 under the AQVox SE, let it play for a day and out it came, the Ultra SS proves to be the best in my system.

It seems higher end tweaks don’t get the performance when used for ancillary support to components. The Ansuz C Power Cable and now Ultra SS failed the sound test. Maybe simpler is the best path.

So now I’m waiting for KingRex to put a dedicated circuit in my mechanical room for the modem, router and switch.

Ethernet cable: It has been said for distance run a cheap cable to the Gigafoil and high quality out, and I did this and it works.

Now, I am going to have Ghent make me a 15M Ethernet cable, going from the mechanical room to the music room to see what a better Ethernet cable does, it’s under $300 and much better than what I have. I refuse to put in a Nordost Heimdell at this point

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4