Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Need help optimizing my laptop workstation audio

Hey folks, I just discovered the world of hi-res streaming and I'm definitely tumbling down that rabbit hole. I think I've got my home theater setup in place and am now turning my attention to my workstation. FYI, I'm using Qobuz with the Audirvana integration as my typical source.

I currently have a Macbook Pro connected directly via the headphone jack to a pair of JBL LSR305s up on stands so they're about ear height. I've heard a good DAC can improve sound quality, and it would be great to get something with a volume control on the front as these speakers have separate volume controls on the back. But then I've heard that Macs have pretty good DACs and I might not get much sound improvement.

So, this is a case where the more I dig into it the more confused I get. Would something like a Fiio K3 be helpful here? Or something else entirely apart from a DAC?

Side note: when we upgraded our home theater system I replaced our Polk PSW111 subwoofer with the SVS-SB2000. I'm wondering if it would make sense to use the Polk in my office in conjunction with the JBLs, or if it would be overkill. And if it does make sense, then what kind of device do I need to incorporate it?

I'd be grateful for anyone who can help me climb out of this fog of confusion and get some clarity, thanks!

Re: Need help optimizing my laptop workstation audio

Conejo23-

Welcome to "computer hi-fi." Your present set-up with the MacBKPro and Audirvana is a great start. An external DAC plugged into your stereo will definitely improve the sound quality. You can then connect the Mac via USB or Toslink directly from the headphone jack.

Have you tried ripping your CD's? Having them together on a hard- drive is very convenient and makes a CD spinner almost unnecessary.

I suggest using the AIFF format as it is uncompressed and storage space is so cheap these days.

This stuff does have a learning curve but it goes quickly.

The sub woofer may well help the bottom end but as always it's all in the listen. Never used a sub woofer so cannot comment on what you might need.

Enjoy the Hunt!
    Last edited by JohnJ; April 14, 2019 at 04:23 PM. Reason: proof read
    AKA J2Ordan
    McIntosh/Legacy/VPI/Bricasti/DIYCabling

Re: Need help optimizing my laptop workstation audio

Ok, so I made a few changes here and things are sounding pretty darn good.

First, I got IsoAcoustic 155 stands for the speakers. Gets them to precisely the right height, and off the wooden stands I had before. The improvement is subtle but noticeable, particularly in mids and highs.

Then, I got the Cambridge DacMagic Plus and connect via balanced xlr to 1/4" cables. Audirvana didn't initially want to play nicely with the DAC, but I've got it working and that combo definitely sounds better.

I do have a bunch of CDs and I might re-rip a few into aiff format, but honestly, at this point I'm mostly streaming with Qobuz. It's been fun exploring new music, they have a rich jazz and classical library.

Fun stuff.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Need help optimizing my laptop workstation audio