Cable vendor preference vs music genre
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cable vendor preference vs music genre

    Mike, do you see a preference for a particular cable vendor's products correlated with client music preferences, e.g., AQ power cables preferred by jazz enthusiasts, Shunyata by classical music lovers? Same question r.e. power conditioners.

  2. Likes Sean liked this post
  3. #2
    Audioshark
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    24,660
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Cable vendor preference vs music genre

    Quote Originally Posted by GSOphile View Post
    Mike, do you see a preference for a particular cable vendor's products correlated with client music preferences, e.g., AQ power cables preferred by jazz enthusiasts, Shunyata by classical music lovers? Same question r.e. power conditioners.
    Not particularly. I feel its more important to match the right cables to A. the overall system and B. the customers tastes. It's also ok to mix and match, although, the full loom theory may address some of the OCD we all have.

    I can say unequivocally, the Shunyata NR power cords reduce noise. There is just no doubt. I've heard it time and time again (with the sensitive horns). While the AudioQuest Storm Series power cords offer a level of transparency that is instantly recognizable. Power cords are the items where customers really hear a big difference. I guess one could argue that the more current a cable carries, the easier it is to hear the differences: power, then speaker, then IC.

    When it comes to power conditioners, it's more of a small improvement or difference between makes and models at the same or similar price point and when someone is comparing a Denali 6000T to a AQ Niagra 5000 (or visa-versa), they may feel the differences or improvements are more subtle and not worth making a switch. This, in audio, is the hardest thing for people to wrap their head around. The 1%, 2% improvements are much harder to accept and invest in, despite the fact that we all know they add up over time.

    I'm still trying to wrap my head around power regeneration. I would love to hear from Caelin on his thoughts. I know power regeneration is theoretically best for digital sources, but the units seem more fickle and prone to problems.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

    "We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

    Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, Keces Power Supplies, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SRA, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

    https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

  4. Thanks GSOphile, bart thanked for this post
    Likes Sean, Alpinist, Skanda, Ritmo, asindc liked this post
  5. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Cable vendor preference vs music genre

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Not particularly. I feel its more important to match the right cables to A. the overall system and B. the customers tastes. It's also ok to mix and match, although, the full loom theory may address some of the OCD we all have.

    I can say unequivocally, the Shunyata NR power cords reduce noise. There is just no doubt. I've heard it time and time again (with the sensitive horns). While the AudioQuest Storm Series power cords offer a level of transparency that is instantly recognizable. Power cords are the items where customers really hear a big difference. I guess one could argue that the more current a cable carries, the easier it is to hear the differences: power, then speaker, then IC.

    When it comes to power conditioners, it's more of a small improvement or difference between makes and models at the same or similar price point and when someone is comparing a Denali 6000T to a AQ Niagra 5000 (or visa-versa), they may feel the differences or improvements are more subtle and not worth making a switch. This, in audio, is the hardest thing for people to wrap their head around. The 1%, 2% improvements are much harder to accept and invest in, despite the fact that we all know they add up over time.

    I'm still trying to wrap my head around power regeneration. I would love to hear from Caelin on his thoughts. I know power regeneration is theoretically best for digital sources, but the units seem more fickle and prone to problems.
    Mike, based on your experience, does reduction in noise correlate with deeper, more expansive sound stage due to spatial queues becoming more apparent?

  6. #4
    Audioshark
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    24,660
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Cable vendor preference vs music genre

    Quote Originally Posted by GSOphile View Post
    Mike, based on your experience, does reduction in noise correlate with deeper, more expansive sound stage due to spatial queues becoming more apparent?
    I would say yes. Deeper soundstage was the one item I had to really think about. But yes, I think it does. What you hear with noise reduction is more of the micro details and cues in the music, especially live music (clinking of glasses, people talking, the ambience of the hall, etc.)

    The biggest goal for noise reduction for me, is to counteract the magnification of noise or exposure of noise in the system by my horns. It’s not a big task, just an important one.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

    "We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

    Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, Keces Power Supplies, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SRA, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

    https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

  7. Likes UltraFast69 liked this post