Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Cable vendor preference vs music genre

Mike, do you see a preference for a particular cable vendor's products correlated with client music preferences, e.g., AQ power cables preferred by jazz enthusiasts, Shunyata by classical music lovers? Same question r.e. power conditioners.

Audioshark

Re: Cable vendor preference vs music genre

Quote Originally Posted by GSOphile View Post
    Mike, do you see a preference for a particular cable vendor's products correlated with client music preferences, e.g., AQ power cables preferred by jazz enthusiasts, Shunyata by classical music lovers? Same question r.e. power conditioners.
    Not particularly. I feel its more important to match the right cables to A. the overall system and B. the customers tastes. It's also ok to mix and match, although, the full loom theory may address some of the OCD we all have.

I can say unequivocally, the Shunyata NR power cords reduce noise. There is just no doubt. I've heard it time and time again (with the sensitive horns). While the AudioQuest Storm Series power cords offer a level of transparency that is instantly recognizable. Power cords are the items where customers really hear a big difference. I guess one could argue that the more current a cable carries, the easier it is to hear the differences: power, then speaker, then IC.

When it comes to power conditioners, it's more of a small improvement or difference between makes and models at the same or similar price point and when someone is comparing a Denali 6000T to a AQ Niagra 5000 (or visa-versa), they may feel the differences or improvements are more subtle and not worth making a switch. This, in audio, is the hardest thing for people to wrap their head around. The 1%, 2% improvements are much harder to accept and invest in, despite the fact that we all know they add up over time.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around power regeneration. I would love to hear from Caelin on his thoughts. I know power regeneration is theoretically best for digital sources, but the units seem more fickle and prone to problems.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Not particularly. I feel its more important to match the right cables to A. the overall system and B. the customers tastes. It's also ok to mix and match, although, the full loom theory may address some of the OCD we all have.

I can say unequivocally, the Shunyata NR power cords reduce noise. There is just no doubt. I've heard it time and time again (with the sensitive horns). While the AudioQuest Storm Series power cords offer a level of transparency that is instantly recognizable. Power cords are the items where customers really hear a big difference. I guess one could argue that the more current a cable carries, the easier it is to hear the differences: power, then speaker, then IC.

When it comes to power conditioners, it's more of a small improvement or difference between makes and models at the same or similar price point and when someone is comparing a Denali 6000T to a AQ Niagra 5000 (or visa-versa), they may feel the differences or improvements are more subtle and not worth making a switch. This, in audio, is the hardest thing for people to wrap their head around. The 1%, 2% improvements are much harder to accept and invest in, despite the fact that we all know they add up over time.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around power regeneration. I would love to hear from Caelin on his thoughts. I know power regeneration is theoretically best for digital sources, but the units seem more fickle and prone to problems.
    Mike, based on your experience, does reduction in noise correlate with deeper, more expansive sound stage due to spatial queues becoming more apparent?

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by GSOphile View Post
    Mike, based on your experience, does reduction in noise correlate with deeper, more expansive sound stage due to spatial queues becoming more apparent?
    I would say yes. Deeper soundstage was the one item I had to really think about. But yes, I think it does. What you hear with noise reduction is more of the micro details and cues in the music, especially live music (clinking of glasses, people talking, the ambience of the hall, etc.)

The biggest goal for noise reduction for me, is to counteract the magnification of noise or exposure of noise in the system by my horns. It’s not a big task, just an important one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Cable vendor preference vs music genre