Magnepan is a dipole. I have tested many positioning method and I would like to share the latest one I am using. Its very different from most of the positioning I see.

Traditional toe-in method which is suggested by Magnepan, is an easy method. It will help maggie sound like a traditional speaker. Its okay. However, there is something maggie can do more. And there is some downside of the toe in method:

1 Maggie is less powerful and less dynamic than traditional dynamic speakers.
2 Maggie's backwave is a source of noise and interference. As you turn up the volume, the quietness of the music will deteriorate.

If maggie is a dipole, why don't we listen it as dipole? Instead of doing room treatment, try to listen to both the frontwave soundstage and backwave soundstage together. To do this, one must not toe-in/out.

My method is adjusted from Limage method from Hong Kong. And I call it Soundstage Coupling. The difference is that Limage method use the focal position to determine maggie position and thus the listening position while the soundstage coupling method is using the listening position to determine the maggie's position. Its easier. And maybe its a simplified version of the Limage method.

The operation is like this.

1 Position maggie in 40% out from the front wall. No toe in and toe out.
2 CHOOSE your listening position at around 20% out from back wall.
3 Now, move your upper-body and head back and forth. At some point you will hear that the soundstage is coming from the front when you are back. And at some point, you will hear that the soundstage is coming from the back or above your head when you move forward.
4 The middle point of these two points are the optimal listening position. Try to adjust the maggie front or back so that the optimal listening position is at your CHOSEN position.
5 Adjust the distance between maggie so that the vocal sound right.

What to expect:
1 You are in the soundstage. Holographic 3D feeling.
2 Natural and quiet. Pinpoint focus is not quite there, but you are not having pinpoint focus in real life too. Now, the sound is very natural and non-aggressive. You can turn the volume up without being fatigue. With quietness, dynamic is improved. Music becomes pleasant and comfortable. Try some symphonies, the violin harmony will sound like a wall of sound on your left like live listening.
3 Instrument separation is superb. They are everywhere.
4 Strong and clean bass, even in a small room.

You can change back to toe-in and push the maggie back. You may have a more solid focus and mid and the soundstage will all go back to the front. But you may miss the experience of the Soundstage Coupling method once you have enjoyed it.

Because maggie has coherent full range panels. Its easy to achieve harmony within a small room than multiple drivers big speakers.

Last but not least, maggie really needs high power and current. Its not too much to have 800w@4ohm and 100a. The more the better.

Happy Listening. Please share your experience. Cheers.