STP-SE Stage 2 suggestions - Page 4
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: STP-SE Stage 2 suggestions

i have a stp-se stage 0 which i have tried to mod myself but cannot find all the parts spec to keep going. i am trying to decide if i get an aura, wait for a stage 2 used to pop up or try the benchmark la4. anybody compare the la4 to the stage 2 yet?

Post Thanks / Like

I have never tried the Benchmark pre-amp, but I have directly compared both companies DACs. While I consider the Benchmark very good gear I believe the Wyred DACs anyway, were in an entirely different league. The STP-SE Stage 2 is a world class pre-amp in every way. I do not believe that the Benchmark would be in the same league.

I also believe performing the upgrades yourself would be very hard, to say the least.
    Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2; T+A DAC 8 DSD; T+A AMP 8; KEF R700; AudioQuest Niagara 1000; Falcon Northwest Tiki; W4S Recovery; Oppo BDP-105; Technics ST-9030; Astell&Kern AK240; Audeze LCD-i4

3. Likes joeinid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for you perspective. i have done the ps caps, input and output buffer opamps, voltage regulators and two resistors to nice improvement. i have not found a full spec breakdown of the shotskys, all the volume resistor values, etc and other caps, etc. but i can do the soldering if i know the parts. . suppose i could reverse engineer the values but i didn’t want to have the unit gutted for weeks. i love this preamp. i wonder how the aura will compete with stage 2.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stellablues View Post
    thanks for you perspective. i have done the ps caps, input and output buffer opamps, voltage regulators and two resistors to nice improvement. i have not found a full spec breakdown of the shotskys, all the volume resistor values, etc and other caps, etc. but i can do the soldering if i know the parts. . suppose i could reverse engineer the values but i didn’t want to have the unit gutted for weeks. i love this preamp. i wonder how the aura will compete with stage 2.
    EJ has told me and I have seen first hand that it is not just a matter of getting the correct parts and soldering them in place. He designed and did a ton of trial and error to get everything just right. The parts being used are not standard off the shelf parts.

The STP was the first and originally the SE was released as a Special Edition but then that became the standard, ala, STP-SE.

EJ feels the Aura is better then the Stage 2. I can't say that I 100% agree, but it is quite good. I am waiting for a parts upgraded version (yet to be named) that is slated to be released sometime after the Aura is released. I absolutely love the design of the Aura, a true modern upgrade of the STP-SE in both internal and external design, while keeping the wonderful hookup flexibility in the unit!
    Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2; T+A DAC 8 DSD; T+A AMP 8; KEF R700; AudioQuest Niagara 1000; Falcon Northwest Tiki; W4S Recovery; Oppo BDP-105; Technics ST-9030; Astell&Kern AK240; Audeze LCD-i4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4