Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Tube amplifier for Fostex TH-X00

Hey

I am new to this forum, and i hope it's true that you don't bite because i am a newbie concerning audio etc.

I recently bought a pair of Fostex TH-X00 Purplehearts and now i am looking for an amp to power them. I don't have an experience with any sorts of amps, but from what i have read a tube amp seems to be more my cup of tea than a solid state amp. However i would also take into consideration the THXAAA 789 amp because it's completly transparent and balanced.

i did some research myself and found some amps that are within my price range:

Little Dot MK3, Little Dot MKIV (350 usd), Darkvoice 336E, Bottlehead crack with speedball upgrade, Garage1217 (i am not sure which one), XDUO TA 20, Megaherz (Italian tube amp manufacturer, no idea which modell and about price), Elekit TU-8180

Currently, my headphones are connected to a Technics A900S Reference amplifier, that goes in to the RCA outputs of my Asus Xonar Essence STX. I am planning to exchange the Asus with a Khadas Tone Board DAC.

I got this amplifier from a friend, and it sounds much better than running the headphons over my soundcard. But i dont think it's ideal for headphones (not planning to use speakers) and it takes up a lot of space technics_se-a900sm2_su-c800um2_pre-power_amplifier.jpg

For which tube amp should i go for? Or would the THX serve me better?

my best regards and thanks

Super Moderator

Re: Tube amplifier for Fostex TH-X00

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Thank you

First question is what is your price range? It sounds like you are looking for a headphone amplifier, correct?

If you are in this range you might want to consider the Dennis Had amplifier I have for sale. Very highly regarded amp by one of the most famous tube amplifier designers of all time. Dennis does these amps by hand as a retirement project for himself. He even signs them on the bottom of the unit!

https://www.audioshark.org/showthread.php?t=16154
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I had an Eddie Current Ec-445 tube head amp and it was my Holy Grail amp till I went into speakers. Wu Audio makes nice stuff more readily available and reasonable.
    Suncoast is a dealer. Might wanna call Mike or his other brother Mike.
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

Quote Originally Posted by Dguitarnut View Post
    I had an Eddie Current Ec-445 tube head amp and it was my Holy Grail amp till I went into speakers. Wu Audio makes nice stuff more readily available and reasonable.
    Suncoast is a dealer. Might wanna call Mike or his other brother Mike.
    LOL, good Bob Newheart show reference ( Darrel and Darrel)
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Thanks for the suggestions, sadly it's waaay over my budget.

350 usd is like my limit.

My headphones only have 25 ohms would i be better off with a solid state amp?

My first tube hp amp was the DarkVoice 336SE headphone tube amplifier available on Amazon or EBay for less than $300. It’s a great little amp which will get you in tube world. I recommend it highly.
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling

My first tube hp amp was the DarkVoice 336SE headphone tube amplifier available on Amazon or EBay for less than $300. It’s a great little amp which will get you in tube world. I recommend it highly.
    hey thanks for the suggestion, i was considering the darkvoice. But i am a bit worried because my cans only have 25 ohms and i heard that tube amps dont work well with low impedance headphones. I know that some tube amps have different gain settings, but i heard that nevertheless they don't supply the correct voltage because for that the amplifier would need a transformer.

I am kinda lost tbh, because the outpout impedance of my Technics S900 reference amp has 330 ohm and it sounds waaaaaaay better than my asus essence stx soundcard that has 10 ohms output impedance.

It's not a subjective sound improvement, i had 2 other people blind test the amp and soundcard and we all agreed that the cans through the technics amp sound way better, you can hear details that you don't hear through the soundcard, sound seams cleaner too.

I am really really confused

My Foster Th-900 sounded good thru it. I had multiple hp’s and never paid attention to the impedance I must confess.
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling

My Foster Th-900 sounded good thru it. I had multiple hp’s and never paid attention to the impedance I must confess.
    That's very interesting! Have you tried the TH900 with other amps?

Do you have any knowledge of the SCHIIT Valhalla 2?

I also used an Audio-Gd Master 9 amp which was the best solid state I tried.
    I love Schitt products. Owned the Yggdrasil Dac for many years. I don’t think you can go wrong with it. But If tube sound is what you want I would get the Darksound amp. It’s lovely and was 85% of a $3k hpa.
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Tube amplifier for Fostex TH-X00