Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Put together a dream $12,000 system for me...

...I'm looking for any combination of speakers, amps (integrated or separates), and streaming hardware and software. I don't need a turntable. It would be nice to have something to rip my CDs and have high quality sound. I prefer a 2 channel system and not HT. Speakers can be passive or active. If you go active please recommend a preamp. I also prefer all new gear as good deals are likely to expire by the time I'm ready to buy (about a year). I'm looking for a system that can hold it's own with about anything below $25,000. This thread is mainly to help me become more familiar with names of various top notch, high end audio builders. Thank you!

Re: Put together a dream $12,000 system for me...

Lumin U1MINI - 2K (streamer)
    Hegel H360 - 5K (integrated + DAC)
    Dynaudio "Special Forty" - 3K (speakers)
    Cables - 1K
    Total 11K

Prices are European.
    But I'm sure the US prices are not so far from ours.

A bit more expensive:

Hegel H590 - 10K (top integrated + top DAC + streamer)
    Dynaudio "Special Forty" - 3K
    Cables - 1K
    Total 14K

If you can stretch to the second option, it offers a much better DAC, more and better power.
    Later on, when the funds will allow, the H590 will be a perfect fit for even (much) better speakers.
    Vivid Audio - Burmester - Hegel - Marantz - Oppo - Pioneer 60" - Wireworld

Mark Levinson 5802 ($7k) or 5805 ($8500.00), both include DAC but the 5802 is a digital only where the 5805 has analog inputs. + Either Revel Performance 3 F206 ($3500) or (F208 ($5k). KEF R series or Monitor Audio Gold could also be speaker options that I know would sound good. I really like the Monitor Audio but if you are a big bass head or listen to EDM they may not be your best choice. The MA have fast transients and brass is excellent through them.

I heard a small McIntosh integrated driving the new JBL L100's and was impressed. The JBL msrp is $4k, Mac has a variety of integrated amps at various price points. Mac tends to lean warm. Most tend to agree it's worth the money to get up to a model with the output transformers.

For digital you can pick up a Bluesound Vault that will allow streaming and a 2TB hard drive to rip your CD's to. A Node 2i will take care of just streaming if you want astand alone disc player. I know these options didn't allow much if you aren't also wanting a turntable.

I saw the Marantz Ruby integrated & SACD player bundle for $7k, add the Marantz Ref 15 turntable that will have cartridge for $1500.00 with the rest of the budget for speaker. The Ref 15 is made by Clearaudio and one of the best TT values going, IMO.

I'm not sure what current pricing is on the Octave Audio integrated, it was around $4500, it with something like the new Klipsch Forte III would be fun. Maybe a Rega P3 and digital depending on whether disc or streaming or both.

I'm sure others will chime in to help with your home work
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Asking such a question is akin to asking someone else to select and purchase a pair of speakers for you that you will love...mission impossible. I do notice your end purpose though and just encourage you to keep things well in perspective, do your homework now matter how long it takes and remember everything in feedback you get will be 100% subjective. Bottom line, build the system for you and nobody else. Don't look for approval or you will fail guaranteed.
    Food for thought, it is possible to build a system that will perform well above it's cost. $12k can give you a system that can keep up easily with a system twice the price or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiophobiac View Post
    Asking such a question is akin to asking someone else to select and purchase a pair of speakers for you that you will love...mission impossible. I do notice your end purpose though and just encourage you to keep things well in perspective, do your homework now matter how long it takes and remember everything in feedback you get will be 100% subjective. Bottom line, build the system for you and nobody else. Don't look for approval or you will fail guaranteed.
    Food for thought, it is possible to build a system that will perform well above it's cost. $12k can give you a system that can keep up easily with a system twice the price or more.

Thank you for your post. I do appreciate what you're saying. But reality dictates that I will have to have a certain amount of trust in the judgement of others. I will never have the opportunity to go listen to all the audio systems discussed in this thread. I will be lucky to be able to audition just a few of them. But the more I can become familiar with many of the name brands of top shelf audio systems the better. Just knowing how highly regarded various components are is a big help. My ears can do the rest with driving distance being a limiting factor.

I live in a geographical area where there is only one high end audio shop within a reasonable driving distance (1 1/2 hours). The next closest is about 4 hours. Between those stores I won't even begin to scratch the surface of trying out a significant number of high end audio gear. So, like it or not, I have to depend heavily on the judgement of others regarding certain brands and models of audio gear.

I'm just getting back to the high end audio hobby after about a 40 year hiatus. I'm already overwhelmed by the shear numbers of new companies. And it takes just as long to learn/relearn of all the companies that have existed for decades. I'm glad I have a year to research and learn about high end audio. I'll need it. But, when it comes to learning about current audio systems, I wish I lived in the Chicago area or Florida or California or other highly populated area.

With all that considered would you like to recommend a sub $12,000 system? I appreciate your high end audio expertise and would like to hear your recommendations. If you prefer not to, that's OK too. Either way, thank you for posting.

Axpona (an audio show) will be at Chicago very soon and is not that far from you. It would be well worth a trip up there.
    You would be able to hear a great many pieces of gear and get an idea of what kind of sound you like.
    To have others make suggestions would require more info. Like how large is your room, how loud would you play the system, what type of music do you listen to? Are there any speakers/systems that you have heard recently that you like?
    Many Many ways to spend $12K
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Cables & Tubes "subject to change without notification".
    Complete system on battery power/solar
    Core Audio Design Rack
    DIY bass traps and custom curved diffusors.

Monitors or floorstanders? (IWO how big a room you have to fill?)

Audioshark

Harbeth C7 Anniversary - $5000
    Hegel 360 - $6000
    Lumin U1 mini - $2000
    And I’m sure I’ve got some cables I can give you.

Package deal from Mike - $12k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

This is just a rough sketch you can play with:

Aries G1 / G2 (server/streamer) --- $2,500 / $4,000
    Primaluna Tube Pre-amps: $2,200 - $4,500
    Elac Navis ARF-51 speakers (active) - $4,000
    Elac Navis ARB-51 speakers (active) - $2,000

That can put you (roughly) about $10.5k - $12.5k on the high end (depending on what you buy or don't buy), with the rest dedicated to power conditioners and cables.

UMI Power Conditioner (Amazon)
    Furman PST-8D Power Conditioner (Amazon)
    iFi AC iPurifier (Amazon)
    Ice Age Power Cables
    [insert any high end RCA/XLR cables]

Room is 11' x 27'. Prefer floor standers but would consider Harbeths.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.

Quote Originally Posted by allthebits View Post
    This is just a rough sketch you can play with:

Aries G1 / G2 --- $2,500 / $4,000
    Primaluna Tube Pre-amps: $2,200 - $4,500
    Navis ARF-51 speakers (active) - $2,000

That puts you about $10.5k on the high end, with the rest dedicated to power conditioners and cables.

UMI Power Conditioner (Amazon)
    Furman PST-8D Power Conditioner (Amazon)
    iFi AC iPurifier (Amazon)
    Ice Age Power Cables
    [insert any high end RCA/XLR cables]
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Thanks for having me, looks like a chill place. Looking forward to interacting and reading!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Harbeth C7 Anniversary - $5000
    Hegel 360 - $6000
    Lumin U1 mini - $2000
    And I’m sure I’ve got some cables I can give you.

Package deal from Mike - $12k

Ha Mike, I like your choices!
    We're very close aren't we.

I wouldn't take the Harbeths, but you already know I don't really like them.

That package seems like a nice deal.

PS What I would recommend is to visit indeed a dealer with many different systems, to get the taste, and attend a couple of audio shows.
    Vivid Audio - Burmester - Hegel - Marantz - Oppo - Pioneer 60" - Wireworld

Put together a dream $12,000 system for me...

Here’s another one:

Gryphon 120 w/ DAC
    Harbeth 30.2
    AQ Rocket 88 LS cables + AQ ICs

Might be slightly over budget, but good sound.

For a slightly more affordable amp try T+A PA2500 R.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

great exercise to help with research before purchasing. hard to know exactly what you would like best, so here is a system i would research for myself. i have also listed a higher priced speaker that i would consider as an alternative:

12k system
    $2,895 ... still audio el84 integrated amp
    $4,695 ... omega speaker systems super alnico high output XRS
    $4,200 ... t+a dac 8 dsd
    $2,000 ... lumin u1-mini network transport

$13,790 msrp but street price will close to or maybe less than the $12k

speaker upgrade:
    $12,500 ... viking acoustics briton III halvdan ...price is also msrp

also, if you are handy with a screwdriver and familiar with computer software installation you can build an exceptional DIY fanless server/transport to run roon ROCK for about $1,100. similarly (but not as well) spec'd pieces are $2,500 and up.
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | air tight atc-5 + atm-300r | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + kanjiroba diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

If you shop used of demo like I do $12k can get a full range system. The best sounding combination I ended up witt was the Usher Be-20DMD's with a Hegel h360 driving it. those two pieces combined for $10k that leaves $2k for a streamer and wires, the hegel has a good sounding dac built in.
    KEF Blade, Mc-611's, C49 rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner. Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, meridian 218 zone controller VA Beethoven's, Hegel h360.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    Here’s another one:

Gryphon 120 w/ DAC
    Harbeth 30.2
    AQ Rocket 88 LS cables + AQ ICs

Might be slightly over budget, but good sound.

For a slightly more affordable amp try T+A PA2500 R.

slightly over budget : Diablo 120 integrated amplifier-DAC ($15,450 USD, Harbeth 30.2 what close to $6400 thats more than slightly its like way way over by $9800
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

My budget was $20,000 to $25,000 but, so far, I've learned I might not have to spend that much to have an excellent system. I still could make that my budget if necessary. But It looks like I'll have to spend less than my initial estimate. So now I'm thinking roughly $12,000 to $15,000 could do the job extremely well.

I'm loving the system recommendations. Keep 'em coming. I'm starting to see some redundancy in the recommendations and that's a good thing. But I'll consider any of the recommendations if I can have the opportunity to audition them. Thank you so much for the recommendations so far. As I said above...keep 'em coming. Much of my auditioning will come from the systems you're recommending.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassphile View Post
    My budget was $20,000 to $25,000 but, so far, I've learned I might not have to spend that much to have an excellent system. I still could make that my budget if necessary. But It looks like I'll have to spend less than my initial estimate. So now I'm thinking roughly $12,000 to $15,000 could do the job extremely well.

I'm loving the system recommendations. Keep 'em coming. I'm starting to learn of some of the best out there. Thank you so much for the recommendations so far.
    Call Mike tell him your room size, music taste and give him your credit card number, all will be better at your budget limit
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Thank you for your post. I do appreciate what you're saying. But reality dictates that I will have to have a certain amount of trust in the judgement of others. I will never have the opportunity to go listen to all the audio systems discussed in this thread. I will be lucky to be able to audition just a few of them. But the more I can become familiar with many of the name brands of top shelf audio systems the better. Just knowing how highly regarded various components are is a big help. My ears can do the rest with driving distance being a limiting factor.

I live in a geographical area where there is only one high end audio shop within a reasonable driving distance (1 1/2 hours). The next closest is about 4 hours. Between those stores I won't even begin to scratch the surface of trying out a significant number of high end audio gear. So, like it or not, I have to depend heavily on the judgement of others regarding certain brands and models of audio gear. I'm just getting back to the high end audio hobby after about a 40 year hiatus. I'm already overwhelmed by the shear numbers of new companies. And it takes just as long to learn/relearn of all the companies that have existed for decades. I'm glad I have a year to research and learn about high end audio. I'll need it. But, when it comes to learning about current audio systems, I wish I lived in the Chicago area or Florida or California or other highly populated area.

With all that considered would you like to recommend a sub $12,000 system? I appreciate your high end audio expertise and would like to hear your recommendations. If you prefer not to, that's OK too. Either way, thank you for posting.
    I can not recommend an entire system, nobody can. That is foolish to even try. I would question anyone recommending an entire system right off the bat because since you can't hear it you have no idea whether it works for you or not and if it doesn't you have blown your whole wad on dissatisfaction. If you are anything like me, you can only do this once, there is no money for do-overs, your decisions have to be as educated and vetted as possible.
    I don't like to strongly recommend particular pieces in this manner because it is completely subjective. What I like, others will not and visa versa. I can tell you my experience with this or that, but it will likely not be the same as yours.

I am glad you are taking a year to research this, that should be enough. The best thing to do first is ask yourself the following questions:

1) What are your dominate media formats for listening (vinyl, CD, stream, PC, etc)? This is important as it initially narrows down the type of gear to look at.

2) What size is the room you plan on having the system in and how much space can you allow for the electronics and the speakers? Cramming a pair of towers into a rather small room will severely limit your sound quality because the will be no room for setup.

3)What kind of overall sound signature do you like most (something that leans toward the warm side of neutral or the bright side? Something that is mostly flat? Something that is more analytical or fun and musical? etc)?

I do highly recommend building this system one piece at a time. I also recommend sectioning your budget. For example: so much allocated to the amp, so much to speakers, etc.
    I do recommend starting with the speakers. I would also allocate the largest portion of your budget to speakers. Without good and the right speakers for you, nothing else will matter. I can't tell you how much of your $12k to allocate to the speakers, but no need to go crazy with something like $9k or $10k. You can get incredibly fantastic speakers to your liking for as little as just under $1k. I'm not saying to limit yourself to that amount, it is just an example of what is possible. In other words, if you really like a pair of speakers and they check all the boxes for you, but they are say, $1200 for example and not considered "high-end" or "audiophile" by most of those folks, DO NOT let that influence your decision! This system is for you, nobody else.

Once you have the speakers next you will want to find the amp. It is far easier to find the amp after you select the speakers because you need to match amp to speakers. Beyond just load requirements (4 ohm, 6 ohm, 8 ohm) you need to match the signature timbre of sound. If you have bright speakers you do not want an amp the leans toward the forward side of neutral (bright). In that case you would want an amp that is as close to neutral as possible or something that leans towards the warm side of neutral.

After you have that, you can then work on the source gear.

I would not worry about cables. Cables may give you about 1% sound "improvement" at best. No need to go nuts, just get decent ones, hell, some $30 or $40 interconnects will more than do the job. Same with speaker cable, you can get away with a lot or make your own from Beldin or Canare or one of the industry standards like that. (That is what a lot of the uber expensive cable makers use).

At the end of the day you want to have some money left over for music if you do other than streaming. In fact, the goal is also to come in under budget by any amount.

I live in California, but let me tell you, there may be a few more shops around, but not much. For me I only have four within driving distance and the closest one of them I would not trust as far as I could throw them. Another one is some distance, but doable. Another is just a shade too much of a drive.

If you are comfortable with this, I would also recommend contacting those makes that allow for in-home demo. That is becoming more and more popular. One example would be PS Audio, there are others, I just can't think of them off the top of my head right now. For speakers it is a challenge. there might be some makes that will lend bookshelf speakers for demo, but towers, no. The shipping alone makes it a non-starter.
    There is usually a charge for in-home demos so be aware. I would narrow it down to two choices if possible if you are going to go the in-home demo route. That way you don't spend 30% of your budget doing that.

If it comes to the shove, you can get speakers first and if you have nothing to hook them up to, you can get a cheap integrated like an Outlaw or Marantz or something for $200 let's say to give you something to listen to while you shop for your main amp or what have you. If you have an amp already, by all means use that as long as it can handle the speaker load.

This is just my take in a nutshell. I'm not an audiophile by any stretch. I just like and know good sound quality for my music. Music is the most important to me. The gear is just a means to an ends. I do have experience in the industry including journalistic, but that adds up to a whole lot of nothing. I'm just a realist.

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    slightly over budget : Diablo 120 integrated amplifier-DAC ($15,450 USD, Harbeth 30.2 what close to $6400 thats more than slightly its like way way over by $9800
    Can you really pay too much for an audio system Put together a dream ,000 system for me...?

As a matter of fact, a slightly higher cost system might end up being cheaper, as you probably stick with it longer because there is less need for upgrades.

“Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    ...As a matter of fact, a slightly higher cost system might end up being cheaper, as you probably stick with it longer because there is less need for upgrades.
    +1

as they say... measure twice, cut once
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | air tight atc-5 + atm-300r | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + kanjiroba diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

I think asking for a complete system is brilliant because the op is using our experience in gear we've already mixed and matched. I buy a pair of speakers first or an amp then decide which one i'm going to match the other to! We're saving many demos
    KEF Blade, Mc-611's, C49 rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner. Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, meridian 218 zone controller VA Beethoven's, Hegel h360.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiophobiac View Post
    I can not recommend an entire system, nobody can. That is foolish to even try. I would question anyone recommending an entire system right off the bat because since you can't hear it you have no idea whether it works for you or not and if it doesn't you have blown your whole wad on dissatisfaction. If you are anything like me, you can only do this once, there is no money for do-overs, your decisions have to be as educated and vetted as possible.
    I don't like to strongly recommend particular pieces in this manner because it is completely subjective. What I like, others will not and visa versa. I can tell you my experience with this or that, but it will likely not be the same as yours.

I am glad you are taking a year to research this, that should be enough. The best thing to do first is ask yourself the following questions:

1) What are your dominate media formats for listening (vinyl, CD, stream, PC, etc)? This is important as it initially narrows down the type of gear to look at.

2) What size is the room you plan on having the system in and how much space can you allow for the electronics and the speakers? Cramming a pair of towers into a rather small room will severely limit your sound quality because the will be no room for setup.

3)What kind of overall sound signature do you like most (something that leans toward the warm side of neutral or the bright side? Something that is mostly flat? Something that is more analytical or fun and musical? etc)?

I do highly recommend building this system one piece at a time. I also recommend sectioning your budget. For example: so much allocated to the amp, so much to speakers, etc.
    I do recommend starting with the speakers. I would also allocate the largest portion of your budget to speakers. Without good and the right speakers for you, nothing else will matter. I can't tell you how much of your $12k to allocate to the speakers, but no need to go crazy with something like $9k or $10k. You can get incredibly fantastic speakers to your liking for as little as just under $1k. I'm not saying to limit yourself to that amount, it is just an example of what is possible. In other words, if you really like a pair of speakers and they check all the boxes for you, but they are say, $1200 for example and not considered "high-end" or "audiophile" by most of those folks, DO NOT let that influence your decision! This system is for you, nobody else.

Once you have the speakers next you will want to find the amp. It is far easier to find the amp after you select the speakers because you need to match amp to speakers. Beyond just load requirements (4 ohm, 6 ohm, 8 ohm) you need to match the signature timbre of sound. If you have bright speakers you do not want an amp the leans toward the forward side of neutral (bright). In that case you would want an amp that is as close to neutral as possible or something that leans towards the warm side of neutral.

After you have that, you can then work on the source gear.

I would not worry about cables. Cables may give you about 1% sound "improvement" at best. No need to go nuts, just get decent ones, hell, some $30 or $40 interconnects will more than do the job. Same with speaker cable, you can get away with a lot or make your own from Beldin or Canare or one of the industry standards like that. (That is what a lot of the uber expensive cable makers use).

At the end of the day you want to have some money left over for music if you do other than streaming. In fact, the goal is also to come in under budget by any amount.

I live in California, but let me tell you, there may be a few more shops around, but not much. For me I only have four within driving distance and the closest one of them I would not trust as far as I could throw them. Another one is some distance, but doable. Another is just a shade too much of a drive.

If you are comfortable with this, I would also recommend contacting those makes that allow for in-home demo. That is becoming more and more popular. One example would be PS Audio, there are others, I just can't think of them off the top of my head right now. For speakers it is a challenge. there might be some makes that will lend bookshelf speakers for demo, but towers, no. The shipping alone makes it a non-starter.
    There is usually a charge for in-home demos so be aware. I would narrow it down to two choices if possible if you are going to go the in-home demo route. That way you don't spend 30% of your budget doing that.

If it comes to the shove, you can get speakers first and if you have nothing to hook them up to, you can get a cheap integrated like an Outlaw or Marantz or something for $200 let's say to give you something to listen to while you shop for your main amp or what have you. If you have an amp already, by all means use that as long as it can handle the speaker load.

This is just my take in a nutshell. I'm not an audiophile by any stretch. I just like and know good sound quality for my music. Music is the most important to me. The gear is just a means to an ends. I do have experience in the industry including journalistic, but that adds up to a whole lot of nothing. I'm just a realist.

Good post! Thank you so much. A lot of very good info to consider. I need to listen to a lot more systems in order to decide upon a "personality" for my system.

I generally like a slightly open top end (not too much), yet good clean, clear, low mids and bass. I do like some warmth. But I don't like speakers that sound veiled or like they have a blanket thrown over them. Bottom line is I like a fairly balanced frequency spectrum with some warmth.

I'd like to split the difference between musicality and analytical. Musicality. I like musicality. I'm not really looking for recording studio monitor linearity but I want some accuracy/transparency, if that makes sense. I'm not looking for a highly colored speaker either.

Most of the language I just used to describe my sonic tastes is not all that helpful, I know. And, since it is nearly impossible to describe sound in words, listening will obviously be the key. Lots of listening.

Merrill of Merrill Audio allows in home audition. He builds very good Class D amps. Easily in your budget.
    Cara preamp - $3500.00
    Taranis power amp - $2500.00 or Thor Monblocks $5k. He also has some 5 digit price points if you change your mind and go crazy
    Speakers like I already mentioned would work, Revel Monitor Audio, Dynaudio who has a variety of lines and price points.

Cary Audio sells direct if interested in tubes and allows a 60 day time to audition. Their gear has a "house" sound, as many brands do. So take that time. In addition, they need plenty of break in.

If not working with a local though, I'd find someone who has several brands to offer and the expertise to steer you in the right direction. If only we knew anyone like that around here, LOL

There are other online retailers, my experience has been they will not recommend one brand over another, don't have the experience with the gear to tell you about the sound or want to sell the flavor of the day. I'm not just saying that, in the past I've bought gear from East coast to West coast dealers but never from an online retailer for the reasons mentioned. if I'm buying I have to be comfortable with the person selling. Now I have a local guy I work with.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Good post! Thank you so much. A lot of very good info to consider. I need to listen to a lot more systems in order to decide upon a "personality" for my system.

I generally like a slightly open top end (not too much), yet good clean, clear, low mids and bass. I do like some warmth. But I don't like speakers that sound veiled or like they have a blanket thrown over them. Bottom line is I like a fairly balanced frequency spectrum with some warmth.

I'd like to split the difference between musicality and analytical. Musicality. I like musicality. I'm not really looking for recording studio monitor linearity but I want some accuracy/transparency, if that makes sense. I'm not looking for a highly colored speaker either.

Most of the language I just used to describe my sonic tastes is not all that helpful, I know. And, since it is nearly impossible to describe sound in words, listening will obviously be the key. Lots of listening.
    If you are interested in tubes, you could take a look at Prima Luna, good bang for buck. Their stuff sounds good and kind of like how you describe. Warm yet not too warm and just enough openness on top to satisfy. There are other good choices too.
    If you are going solid state, your choices widen unless you don't like solid state of course.
    When it comes to speakers you won't find many that have a veiled sound. Speakers tend to range from harshly bright to too much bottom. When looking for speakers and if you can demo any it is important to use your own music you are familiar with. Relying on the dealer choice is a fools errand because they play it very safe. You don't want to get the speakers home only to find that they don't do well with the music you listen to.
    I've heard countless speakers starting with my own quest years ago. For example I found Vandersteens to excel for classical music, but not much else and they fall apart with anything uptempo. It is the way they are voiced, they are not fast speakers. I'm not a fan of horned speakers. I'm also not a fan of Magicos or Wilsons for example. I know that is blasphemy around here, but they just don't come close to suiting my taste is all, cost not withstanding.
    Almost all speakers are colored, just as most amps are. There is not a "perfect" piece of gear, period. You just need to decide what flavor you like. I suggest listening to different types of speakers if you can. I don't have time to give my opinion on all the speakers I have heard, besides that doesn't do you any good, because like music, speakers are personal. What you like, someone else will hate.
    If you want to know, I landed years ago on Paradigm Studios (Discontinued). I heard the whole line at the time and found the Studios to my liking. I like a balanced sound not tilted too much either way with ability to go to the smallest detail, in other words, "revealing" even if it means I chance upon a recording in my collection that is not as good as I thought. I like the truth. I have heard the Personas and don't care for them, I find them too harsh and tilted up. I have not heard the Prestige yet. Oh yes, I'm a tower guy.

Again, I would ignore my opinions because that is all they are. Opinions are biased, we all have bias. We all seek what we resonate with.
    When you hear the speakers you like, you will know it. When I landed on the Paradigms (after 38 other speakers...whew!), I knew I found the right speakers for me, but I went back and listened to them two more times for an hour to an hour and a half each before I laid down my money. I wanted to be absolutely sure. That's just me. Of course this was back when we still had shops.

I love your name, Audiophobiac .
    Simaudio Moon Neo 260 DT CD Transport / MIT SL-Matrix Plus AES/EBU digital cable / Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC / Octave HP 700 preamp / Octave RE 320 stereo amp with Super Black Box / Reference 3A Reflector monitors on Sound Anchors Signature Stands / dual JL Audio Fathom 112 v2 subwoofers on ASC SubTraps / ZenWave Audio D4 and SMSG cables / Acoustic treatment: tube traps, Tri-panels, window plugs, ceiling diffusers (all ASC), large absorbing panels (Acoustics First), diverse carpets chosen for acoustic properties: wool, polypropylene basket-weave

...I'm looking for any combination of speakers, amps (integrated or separates), and streaming hardware and software. I don't need a turntable. It would be nice to have something to rip my CDs and have high quality sound. I prefer a 2 channel system and not HT. Speakers can be passive or active. If you go active please recommend a preamp. I also prefer all new gear as good deals are likely to expire by the time I'm ready to buy (about a year). I'm looking for a system that can hold it's own with about anything below $25,000. This thread is mainly to help me become more familiar with names of various top notch, high end audio builders. Thank you!

12K spent on used equipmet can get you really really close and competive to top notch stuff . If new only , Mid-Fi + at best ...

regards

Sure, I’ll jump in.

If you’re not sure, and want to spend the 12K, then use Suncoast Mike and be done with it.

At this dollar, you will have a nice system.

Warning: if you like it you’ll soon want more, and will go down the upgrade path, this only means your $12K will return $5/6K towards a bigger system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    Sure, I’ll jump in.

If you’re not sure, and want to spend the 12K, then use Suncoast Mike and be done with it.

At this dollar, you will have a nice system.

Warning: if you like it you’ll soon want more, and will go down the upgrade path, this only means your $12K will return $5/6K towards a bigger system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    +1.

Add to this post. Once you get them don’t read any more forum post and check the site anymore. Only way you can be satisfied and happy with your system Put together a dream ,000 system for me...

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by aKnyght View Post
    ...i have also listed a higher priced speaker that i would consider as an alternative:

speaker upgrade:
    $12,500 ... viking acoustics briton III halvdan ...price is also msrp.
    for sale directly from Viking... $8,250
    https://www.audiogon.com/listings/li...riton-monitors

also, from time-to-time dealers / manufacturers have demos and trade-ins which can be veritable bargains...
    https://www.viking-acoustics.com/instrument-grande-voix
    https://www.audiogon.com/listings/li...ton-full-range

in doing exhaustive research your audio dollar will go farther than you might otherwise expect.

While discussed in other forum threads, I question the wisdom of buying an "integrated" that has a DAC in it.
    How often has anyone here changed their DAC in the last several years?
    I can see that it is a simple one box solution that will appeal to some but as technology, especially in the digital realm, continues to evolve at a rapid pace I feel that a person would be "tying their hands" with such a piece.
    YMMV
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Cables & Tubes "subject to change without notification".
    Complete system on battery power/solar
    Core Audio Design Rack
    DIY bass traps and custom curved diffusors.

Quote Originally Posted by aKnyght View Post
    for sale directly from Viking... $8,250
    https://www.audiogon.com/listings/li...riton-monitors

also, from time-to-time dealers / manufacturers have demos and trade-ins which can be veritable bargains...
    https://www.viking-acoustics.com/instrument-grande-voix
    https://www.audiogon.com/listings/li...ton-full-range

in doing exhaustive research your audio dollar will go farther than you might otherwise expect.

Viking recommends as a min,

1. 1.5 Watt Tooby power or
    2. 50 watt min SS to drive this model ..

run ...

Quote Originally Posted by jadedavid View Post
    While discussed in other forum threads, I question the wisdom of buying an "integrated" that has a DAC in it.
    How often has anyone here changed their DAC in the last several years?
    I can see that it is a simple one box solution that will appeal to some but as technology, especially in the digital realm, continues to evolve at a rapid pace I feel that a person would be "tying their hands" with such a piece.
    YMMV
    Yea,but we're getting started here and many of them have inputs and outputs to add a stand alone dac at a later date.

I should clarify, I consider an "online dealer" those who sell almost exclusive online via a website and magazine. I've not ever used them for the reasons mentioned. I have bought from retailers, B&M, who happen to sell online, or would if no dealer in the area with the line. As an example, long before I knew of Mike, I purchased my Conrad Johnson gear from a dealer now out of business called Spearit Sound. The guy who helped me knew his stuff and would allow a return if I didn't like the gear. I don't consider someone like that a "online dealer/retailer". However, if looking for a certain line or in an area not being serviced, these types of dealers can be a real asset.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Merrill of Merrill Audio allows in home audition. He builds very good Class D amps. Easily in your budget.
    Cara preamp - $3500.00
    Taranis power amp - $2500.00 or Thor Monblocks $5k. He also has some 5 digit price points if you change your mind and go crazy
    Speakers like I already mentioned would work, Revel Monitor Audio, Dynaudio who has a variety of lines and price points.

Cary Audio sells direct if interested in tubes and allows a 60 day time to audition. Their gear has a "house" sound, as many brands do. So take that time. In addition, they need plenty of break in.

If not working with a local though, I'd find someone who has several brands to offer and the expertise to steer you in the right direction. If only we knew anyone like that around here, LOL

There are other online retailers, my experience has been they will not recommend one brand over another, don't have the experience with the gear to tell you about the sound or want to sell the flavor of the day. I'm not just saying that, in the past I've bought gear from East coast to West coast dealers but never from an online retailer for the reasons mentioned. if I'm buying I have to be comfortable with the person selling. Now I have a local guy I work with.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

I would pick the Devialet Expert 140 Pro ($6500) for myself. It hits all the feature checkboxes except ripping CDs but I assume you plan to use your computer for that. It sounds incredibly good and pulls out amazing amounts of detail with a very balanced and neutral sound. If you want a nicer streaming music user interface, you can front it with Roon.

For speakers, I might go with the Acoustic Zen Adagios ($4500) or Salk Sound Veracity HT3 ($6500). Although the Veracity HT3 sensitivity is pretty low and it would put you slightly over your $12k budget. A friend of mine likes Spendor and their D7 ($6400) may also be a good choice; the D7 is also in the Devialet SAM database.
    Neko Audio
    Authorized Dealer: AC Infinity, APC, Audeze, Bryston, Devialet, Elite HTS, Fortress Seating, JMF Audio, JVC, Kaleidescape, LG, LUMIN, Magico, Ortofon, RME, Samsung, Soulution, STAX, Trinnov, Vivid Audio, Weiss & more.

mauidan

032519-ELAC-600.jpg

"I heard more good sound in the Trends Electronics / Elac room, where Elac's wireless-capable (but wired at the show) Navis ARF-51 3-way powered speakers ($CA6400) were delivering big sound and deep, pounding bass. Each driver in the Navis is powered by an amp (bass, midrange, and tweeter: 160Wpc, 100Wpc, and 40Wpc, respectively) which might help explain the clarity and force I heard across the frequency range. Electronic bass whomps never overwhelmed softer sounds such as delicate cymbal trails, which were allowed to express themselves without interruption. Downstream components included Alchemy by Elac's DDP-2 preamplifier/DAC/streamer ($CA3000) and Discover server ($CA1500), which streamed music from what appeared to be the most commonly used streaming platform among exhibitors: Tidal. Cabling was provided by Audioquest."

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/...RG5gWaRqexD.99

If you use a laptop or other digital source already maybe the Kii speakers would be an option. They are about $11k. Connect your laptop and stream Qobus.

Not really sure if this works.
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

I agree with a. Wayne. If you invest some time and effort , you can build a very nice $25K system for $12Kish used....Most gear will last forever. Why not buy with the depreciation at someone else's expense....
    T+A MP3100HV, T+A PA3100HV. Custom made Furutech cables with ETP-609 distributor with NCF outlets, Harbeth 40.2 Anniversaries.

Audiovector QR5 - 3350 USD
    Primare I35 Prisma | Integrated amplifier and streaming module - 3350 USD
    Ansuz cables and accesories : 2x powercord, speakerwires, ethernet cable, Mainz 8 X power distributioner and 3x darkz A. - 5700 USD

Pricing is not 100% right though

Total price : 12.400 usd
    Scansonic MB-1, Aavik U-300, Sony CD Player as transport, mixture of ansuz cables in different qualities, Ansuz Mainz X Power Distribution, Ansuz Power Distribution for DTC cables

Quote Originally Posted by EmiLiuZ View Post
    Ansuz cables and accesories : 2x powercord, speakerwires, ethernet cable, Mainz 8 X power distributioner and 3x darkz A. - 5700 USD

For a 11' x 27' room size I think this is an interesting suggestion.

I’m not sure that many in the forum will be familiar with the Danish designed Audiovector QR5 loudspeakers, but they are 3 way floorstanders which in room offer near full range performance. Amazing value for money.

The OP just needs to add a music server to rip and store his CD’s and the package is complete.
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

Quote Originally Posted by EmiLiuZ View Post

acknowledging the importance of good cabling and clean power... $5.7k might be out of balance in a $12k system. i would counsel first getting the best amp, speakers and source possible, then backfilling over time with expensive cables and power conditioning if needed.

in the interim, there are many great low cost cables that provide excellent results. also, diy cables are an option that can provide equal results at an even lower cost... in fact, many who could well afford otherwise choose diy with dueland wire - not because it is less expensive but because they prefer the sound. see this positive feedback review by jeff day.

if a/c power is an issue, something like the audioquest niagara 1200 for $1,000 msrp should be great in a $12k system.

Kii Threes.

Kii three - often faulty.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Elztalbiker View Post

Really?

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Elztalbiker View Post

I know three friends, that own the Kii Three and they worked great right out of the box to this day. Actually we had dinner last night with one and his Kii system sounded pretty darn good to the point if I could swing it I would buy a pair.

Just got done watching a youtube video from John Darko on the Mytek's Brooklyn Bridge and amp. It's a class D amp which can be good or bad for some. But, the price point for performance would be in the $12k build point. He's very good at telling the strong and weak points of any product IMO. Worth a watch.
    Speakers: Magico S3 (23')
    Integrated:Gryphon Diablo 300 plus DAC
    Streamer: HiFi Rose RS150b
    CD/DVD: Oppo 205
    Cables: Cardas-Shunyata-AudioQuest-Supra
    Roon Core: sonicTransporter i7 powered with HDPlex 200w linear PS, running AudioLinux for Roon--Tidal and Qobuz with iPad Pro

Time is just a tool humans created to measure movement and record events

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_1282001 View Post
    For a 11' x 27' room size I think this is an interesting suggestion.

I’m not sure that many in the forum will be familiar with the Danish designed Audiovector QR5 loudspeakers, but they are 3 way floorstanders which in room offer near full range performance. Amazing value for money.

The OP just needs to add a music server to rip and store his CD’s and the package is complete.
    Hi Kiwi

I didn't notice the room size!
    In that case the Audio Vector SR1 Signature or the earlier mentioned Dynaudio Special Forty would be great alternatives
    Scansonic MB-1, Aavik U-300, Sony CD Player as transport, mixture of ansuz cables in different qualities, Ansuz Mainz X Power Distribution, Ansuz Power Distribution for DTC cables

I've heard 6k USD systems that when done right easiliy outperforms 15k systems.
    I believe that we've different views on where to spend with this budget

I'll do the combo for less than $12k delivered.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Put together a dream ,000 system for me...