Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Accuphase A-70 enough to drive Magnepan 20.7 or 30.7?

hi,

Wonder if anyone has experience with Magnepan driven by Accuphase A-70 class-A amp?

More specifically, wondering if A-70 has enough power to drive large panels such as the 20.7 or 30.7. By the way, I saw in an online 30.7 User's Manual that it apparently has the same sensitivity rating as that of 20.7, which is rated 4 Ohms load and 86dB/500Hz /2.83v sensitivity.

Re: Accuphase A-70 enough to drive Magnepan 20.7 or 30.7?

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lin View Post
    hi,

Wonder if anyone has experience with Magnepan driven by Accuphase A-70 class-A amp?

More specifically, wondering if A-70 has enough power to drive large panels such as the 20.7 or 30.7. By the way, I saw in an online 30.7 User's Manual that it apparently has the same sensitivity rating as that of 20.7, which is rated 4 Ohms load and 86dB/500Hz /2.83v sensitivity.
    Hi Charles and welcome to AudioShark! While the inherent quality of a pure Class A amp like the Accuphase A-70 would be apparent at moderate volume levels with the large Magnepans, such speakers really thrive on high power and current and in my experience only really 'come to life' when driven with amps rated at a couple of hundred watts and above. Even when not being driven towards the amplifier's limits matching high powered amps with the large Maggies seems to energize and control the panels much more successfully than lower powered amps and as a result they sound more effortless and relaxed in their presentation. Hope this helps!

The A-70 is a beefy amp but, with Maggies, it would not have enough power for me. I've never tried that combo tho.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

That's such a sweet amp..would probably sound amazing on 20.7s, but, I'd bet that on those occasions where ya want to play hard (loud) you'd be wanting more power.
    Magnepan 20.7 - CJ ART 300s - CJ GATV2 - Meitner MA-1 V2 -Dedicated JRMC + Synology NAS

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lin View Post
    hi,

I own the 1.6's and they really appreciate the 500wpc of my Pass amp. You lose depth, musicality and dynamics with lower powered amps.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

When I had my 20.7's I tried as many amps on them as I could but even the Sanders stereo/mono amps struggled at times for me .... ymmv.

The A-70 is a high current amplifier and it won't have any problems driving the Magnepans; only things you need to consider are your listening distance from the speakers and your desired SPL at the listening position; based on these two factors calculate if the A-70 has enough power to give you the SPL you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Anatta View Post
    The A-70 is a high current amplifier and it won't have any problems driving the Magnepans; only things you need to consider are your listening distance from the speakers and your desired SPL at the listening position; based on these two factors calculate if the A-70 has enough power to give you the SPL you want.
    60 watts and high current will give you music at lower volumes but at louder volumes, the sound will suffer from lack of peak power especially with huge panels like the 20.7's and 30.7's.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechnutt View Post
    60 watts and high current will give you music at lower volumes but at louder volumes, the sound will suffer from lack of peak power especially with huge panels like the 20.7's and 30.7's.
    60W is the rated class A power, the actual power available is 130W@8Ohm and 230W@4Ohm; just like the Pass XA60.8 for example is not a 60W amplifier but a 120W one.

http://www.accuphase.com/cat/a-70_e.pdf

I don't know how loud the OP likes to listen but the A-70 will give him 100dB peaks at a 3m listening distance without problems with the 86dB sensitive Magnepans.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

Quote Originally Posted by bzr View Post
    When I had my 20.7's I tried as many amps on them as I could but even the Sanders stereo/mono amps struggled at times for me .... ymmv.
    This sounds about right

60W is the rated class A power, the actual power available is 130W@8Ohm and 230W@4Ohm; just like the Pass XA60.8 for example is not a 60W amplifier but a 120W one.

http://www.accuphase.com/cat/a-70_e.pdf

I don't know how loud the OP likes to listen but the A-70 will give him 100dB peaks at a 3m listening distance without problems with the 86dB sensitive Magnepans.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html
    The class A Bias is supposedly 70 watts @8 ohm , hence the A70 designation, thats 35/35 per channel or 17.5/17.5 @ 4 ohm ...

Accuphase also rates quiescent draw at 280 watts @idle which approximates 70 watts class A output ..

Regards ..

The name has nothing to do with the class A power available, the A-60 had 300W idle consumption.

http://www.accuphase.com/cat/a-60_e.pdf

Numbers aside . . . . .

I love the balls of the accuphase BUT in my opinion, it would not power the Maggies to a level acceptable. Maggies are an easy load BUT need power.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

The name has nothing to do with the class A power available, the A-60 had 300W idle consumption.

http://www.accuphase.com/cat/a-60_e.pdf
    Its 70 watt class A with a an A70 designation , go figure .... regardless the numbers you quoted are way off, extreme irony you picked that to discredit findings ..

Anyway 83db is what 3.6R Maggie ( Maggie usually claim 86) actually measured, best to hook them up and listen from experience 300/300 is what they usually need ...

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    Its 70 watt class A with a an A70 designation , go figure .... regardless the numbers you quoted are way off, extreme irony you picked that to discredit findings ..

Anyway 83db is what 3.6R Maggie ( Maggie usually claim 86) actually measured, best to hook them up and listen from experience 300/300 is what they usually need ...

Regards
    One of the previous versions from Accuphase which was probably the A65 was able to better control the very inefficient MBL 111F's when compared to some 500 watt mono-block amps. WPC is only one piece of the pie.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

The A65 was just a better amp , surely you not suggesting a 500/500 watt Accuphase equivalent is less than an A65 ...

BTW , Im familiar and have used Accuphase amps since the 70’s ...

Regards ..

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    The A65 was just a better amp , surely you not suggesting a 500/500 watt Accuphase equivalent is less than an A65 ...

BTW , Im familiar and have used Accuphase amps since the 70’s ...

Regards ..
    It wasn't a Accuphase amp.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

So , what do you have choose as amplifier ?
    Marantz SA7S1/GRIMM AUDIO CC1/MARK LEVINSON 360S+TECHNICS SL1210 MKII/ORTOFON X1-MC/VPI CLASSIC 3 in rosewood/Audio-Technica ART-9/ESOTERIC E03+TAG MC LAREN T32R+JEFF ROWLAND CORUS+JEFF ROWLAND MODEL 625+Magnepan 3.7i+Cables line: all Furutech lineflux+power cord DIY

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Accuphase A-70 enough to drive Magnepan 20.7 or 30.7?