Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Do you prefer SS or tube? Why?

To the OP:

Generally I prefer tubes. Its easier to get them to sound like real music. With any amplifier its all about the distortion the amp makes and often more importantly what distortion the amp doesn't make. Tubes generally make less higher ordered harmonic distortion and this is why tubes are still around decades on after being declared obsolete.

Transistors tend to be overall lower distortion but the distortion they do make is mostly higher ordered. The problem here is that the ear uses higher ordered harmonics to sense sound pressure (IOW the fundamental is not used). This is probably because pure sine waves don't exist in nature. In addition, the ear converts all forms of distortion into some sort of tonality. So when the higher orders are present the ear hears it as brightness and hardness, even though the actual measured levels can be quite low (0.005%). This is simply because the ear has to function over a 120db range and has to be able to ascertain the loudness of sounds over that entire range.

Add on to that the Fletcher-Muson curve and you have a problem. That curve exists because our ears are tuned to be the most sensitive at birdsong frequencies. Birds are the first warning indication of a predator in the vicinity; if you can't hear them you could be dead very soon! So the ear is more sensitive at 5-7KHz which also happens to be an area rich in instrument harmonics. Its easy to see why tubes are still around- they mess with and generate less of these harmonics (5th and above).

To be clear, brightness is a coloration every bit much as the coloration of the 2nd harmonic that many (but not all) tube amps exhibit.

So the way I see it is its fine if a very good hifi is what you want your system to sound like, but I want it to sound real. To cross that line, you can't have the equipment making things brighter and harsher than real life. So I stay away from transistors since their introduction in the system means it will never sound real, although it might sound very good.

IMO/IME if the spec sheets had a weighting system where the lower orders were weighted less and the higher orders more (say a 1 for the 2nd harmonic, the 7th might get a 1000) then they might be useful. If we had such a weighting system it would be easier to tell how an amplifier sounds just be looking at the spec sheet. Its obvious that such is the last thing the industry wants, so don't expect any changes in that regard in the next half century or so. FWIW, we've known that the ear has these peculiar sensitivities to harmonics and also converts these distortions to tonality for a very long time- since the 1930s at least (see the Radiotron Designer's Handbook, volume 3). Despite that, we continue to design stuff to look good on paper rather than design to meet human hearing-perceptual rules.

But people have figured it out and you don't have to know anything at all about the technical side. All that you need to know is that tubes are still here! They were declared obsolete in the early 1960s which means that they have been 'obsolete' longer than when they were the only game in town. But some how they persist. Usually when a superior technology comes along, the prior art disappears and becomes a thing of collectors and junk shops like buggy whips. That hasn't happened with tubes which says that they aren't actually 'obsolete' at all- the reality is that if you want to make the best sounding music, tubes are your number 1 goto.

Ralph ,

You left out no output transformers and the necessity for high impedance speakers

The science tells us how to match the load to the amplifier and this also determines what we will hear. Unfortunately all of it is wrong vs “real” , to some degree, hence why there’s Tubes and SS ..

There’s no clear cut winner ...!

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    Ralph ,

You left out no output transformers and the necessity for high impedance speakers
    8 ohms just doesn't seem that high to me.

With regards to 4 ohm speakers, no matter what kind of amp you have, its distortion is higher driving 4 ohms. If sound quality is your goal, your amplifier investment dollar will be best served by a speaker that is greater than 4 ohms as the decreased distortion will be audible as smoother and more detailed sound.

OTOH if sound pressure is your goal you might have a 3dB argument for a 4 ohm speaker. Speaker cables are also more critical on 4 ohm loads.

So distortion matters ...?

What about lower distortion in speakers..? Every doubling of drivers from 8-4ohm reduce thd by 50% ..

How is that for sum ..

There is no panacea in Audio, just preferences, myself prefer the lower speaker distortion over the slight increase in amp Thd ...

Regards

Right now I'm liking SS. But that could change one day.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

So distortion matters ...?

What about lower distortion in speakers..? Every doubling of drivers from 8-4ohm reduce thd by 50% ..

How is that for sum ..
    If similar drivers they can be wired in series rather than parallel. That works quite well.

Vitus brought me back to SS.

Was as fed up with the heat, tube quality, bias adjustments and reliability issues.

Just switch on now and an hour later everything is ready every time.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclopse View Post

Was as fed up with the heat, tube quality, bias adjustments and reliability issues.

Everything works until it breaks.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Everything works until it breaks.
    That's very true... but some things tend to break much more often than others!

I think if I lived in Florida I might favor SS as well. My room get pretty hot here Inn sC during the summer months (and its on its own HVAC System)!
    Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server with 4TB internal SSD
    Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Block Audio Power Cords, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
    Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - Alpha CGS cables
    Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches with fiber in between powered with Keces P3 LPSU,
    Cables: Wireworld Platinum Starlight 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 1M & 6M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
    Other: Isoacoustics GAIA I footers on the Kharmas, GIK & Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Ultra SS under
    Everest and Amplifiers, Three dedicated 20 Amp lines w/Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona 5 Shelf rack, ROON, a few HRS weights

Quote Originally Posted by cyclopse View Post

My amps are autobias so no time is spent doing adjustments. I just use the garden variety of tubes and it works great. Just switch on now and 15 minutes later everything is ready every time, although it sounds better than any transistors I've tried in far less than that. But my amps were designed to be easy on the tubes- some amps are not.

Ralph ,

How does your autobias differs from VAC’s ..?

Quote Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
    I think if I lived in Florida I might favor SS as well. My room get pretty hot here Inn sC during the summer months (and its on its own HVAC System)!
    I don't have air conditioning in my music room, and apart from cost considerations, having less heat in the summer months was a vital practical consideration for going with 4-tube stereo amp rather than with 4 + 4 tube mono blocks (even the stereo amp power is total overkill for my monitors). My 130 W/ch class A/B Octave amp definitely heats the room much less than my old 15 W/ch class A triode monoblocks did! Summer listening is so much nicer now.
    Simaudio Moon Neo 260 DT CD Transport / MIT SL-Matrix Plus AES/EBU digital cable / Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC / Octave HP 700 preamp / Octave RE 320 stereo amp with Super Black Box / Reference 3A Reflector monitors on Sound Anchors Signature Stands / dual JL Audio Fathom 112 v2 subwoofers on ASC SubTraps / ZenWave Audio D4 and SMSG cables / Acoustic treatment: tube traps, Tri-panels, window plugs, ceiling diffusers (all ASC), large absorbing panels (Acoustics First), diverse carpets chosen for acoustic properties: wool, polypropylene basket-weave

Nothing beats a great SET...or in my case , 2 ..IMO...of course i can't be impartial...can I.....Would not trade my amps for ANY other tube amps or SS amps .....
    Listening Room: 25' L x 18' W x 23' H..system on the long wall
    Speakers: Tidal 'Contriva Diacera-SE
    Amps: Chalice Audio 'Grail' SET mono blocks with Psvane WE 845 / 300b tubes
    Source: Lumin X-1 Network Music Player
    HighFidelity MC-1 Pro Helix conditioner
    Cables:
    Audience-Studio One RCA interconnect
    SilverSmith 'Fidelium' speaker cables
    Silent Source 'Music Reference' Power Cords x 3
    Innuos 'PhoenixNet' Switch
    CAD-CG-1

Audioquest 'fog lifters' under the Fidelium cables
    Arya Audio-RevOpods under my Tidal Speakers
    REL 212 SE Subwoofer x 2
    Nordost V2 ethernet cable

EVP Isolation footers- subs-speakers- Lumin

Tweaks:
    Stillpoints Ultra SS under amps
    EVP HDR isolators 2" x 8...under my Lumin A1 and PSU
    EVP HDR isolators 4" x 16..under my Tidal speakers and my REL 212 SE subs

I agree on the SET amps. I absolutely love my Audio Mirror SET mono blocks... I do have my little T+A if I am in the mood for some SS also...
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Ralph ,

How does your autobias differs from VAC’s ..?
    Its probably simpler. Its a simple circuit that makes sure the tubes don't roast if the AC line voltage gets too high, and increases the bias current as the output power goes up. There is a manual DC Offset control- that takes about 3 seconds to set. The meter to do so is also an active VU meter.

Quote Originally Posted by atmasphere View Post
    Tubes generally make less higher ordered harmonic distortion and this is why tubes are still around decades on after being declared obsolete.

Transistors tend to be overall lower distortion but the distortion they do make is mostly higher ordered.
    Actually this is BS, simply not true.

Just check the FFT graphs of the tube amps measured in Stereophile and it's obvious that their harmonics level and order are much higher than in a low distortion SS amp. Compare them with amps from Boulder, Soulution, Audionet and Benchmark and I hope you'll stop spreading this BS that tube amps produce the good distortion and SS has the bad distortion that you've done for years.

Not to mention that all tube amps have horrible intermodulation distortion (that's the nasty distortion) compared to SS.

If you prefer the distortion of tubes, fine; but don't come up with scientific BS to justify this preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Anatta View Post
    Actually this is BS, simply not true.

Just check the FFT graphs of the tube amps measured in Stereophile and it's obvious that their harmonics level and order are much higher than in a low distortion SS amp. Compare them with amps from Boulder, Soulution, Audionet and Benchmark and I hope you'll stop spreading this BS that tube amps produce the good distortion and SS has the bad distortion that you've done for years.

Not to mention that all tube amps have horrible intermodulation distortion (that's the nasty distortion) compared to SS.

If you prefer the distortion of tubes, fine; but don't come up with scientific BS to justify this preference.
    Your first statement (emphasis added) here is false.

But I agree with a fair bit of what you posted. FWIW our amps tend to have very low IMD but it appears that they are very much the exception.

However, if I can draw your attention to something in the Stereophile reviews. Now I've not made an exhaustive examination, just three to be exact- the Nagra VPA amplifier, Parasound A21 and one of the Soulution amps. The Nagra and the Parasound are measured on the same ground (50Hz test tone) but the Soulution is not; its measured at 1KHz. However, the measurements support your statement very clearly as shown; but if you look at the distortion harmonics at the upper end of the Nagra and the Parasound, what we see is that the frequency at that point is only 1KHz. We also see that the Nagra has decreasing distortion components as the order increases; with the Parasound this is not the case (although overall it has lower distortion). There is a hint that above 1KHz the distortion spectra might be increasing in the Parasound. Can't tell; that's how Stereophile did it.

IOW is that to tell the whole story, the distortion spectra needs to be shown over a wider band of frequencies, not just limited to 1KHz. The Soulution got off the hook since it was measured at 1KHz and really its the higher orders with which the ear has troubles, but in just these examples we can't see what they look like when they get into the ear's most sensitive region (Fletcher-Munson). The single biggest complaint against solid state is brightness and harshness and since the ear is most sensitive at considerably higher frequencies it seems important to see how the amps might compare. I found additional amplifier measurements made by Soundstage!... We can see that Bascomb King uses a different method of quantifying his results so there really isn't an easy way to compare here. You'll note I simply said 'higher ordered harmonic distortion' but I didn't say which harmonics specifically.

I feel that I have been over-generalizing though, but your statement doesn't offer any additional substance with regards to what the difference is about. I don't accept that its just distortion as I can build a tube amp that has similarly lower distortion figures (we used to run quite a lot of feedback on our amps long ago; OTLs can have vanishingly low distortion if you run the same feedback levels that solid state amps do) and it sounds smoother than solid state so wut up?

I prefer PASS 150lb Class A Mono Blocks with their detailed, organic sexy sound and with plenty of power to drive the most difficult speakers!
    George
    -----------------------

Aurender ACS10 Music Server > Holo Audio May KTE R2R Ladder DAC > Pass Labs XP-30 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Renaissance ELS 15A Speakers

Powered By 2X BPT 3.5 Signature Plus Ultra Isolators | Shunyata Research Hydra Triton + Typhon | Shunyata Hydra 2 Power Conditioner

@atmasphere you said and repeated over the years that a priori tube amps produce less high order distortion than SS and that is the reason they sound better (your personal opinion); like a fatality in which, even if the tubes wanted to produce high order distortion, they wouldn't be able due to their nature and SS wouldn't be able to get rid or lower the high order distortion to values less than tubes due to its nature. Thats BS statement.

My opinion is that those who prefer tube amps like them exactly because they produce much more distortion (level and order wise) which adds body to the music, make's it sound organic, real, harmonicaly rich whatever. It's the same with vinyl and NOS DACs preferences.

Here are some SS amps with their 50Hz spectrum measured

1115BAHB2fig09.jpg 217B2150fig8.jpg 717AudiMaxfig08.jpg

and some with their 1kHz spectrum

1115BAHB2fig10.jpg 717AudiMaxfig09.jpg 911MF1fig10.jpg

Compare them to whatever tube amp you want.

Since you mentioned Soundstage measurements, here is your MA1 Mk II.2 amplifier compared to some SS ones.

MA1 Mk II.2

vs Benchmark AHB2

vs Bryston 4B3

vs Luxman M-900u

vs Mola Mola Kaluga (class D no less)

Many say it's the distortion that makes tubes sound like they do, and, I know the different amps measure differently with various distortions. Yet my unscientific mind has serious doubts that it is all distortion related.

Somehow tubes are more able to trigger some sense that a being is singing in the room. In general tubes put a more flesh on the bone feel. And, typically a more 3D like sense, you get more of an organ's body, shape, with tubes, not just notes like most SS. If distortion does this and I still hear the detail, then, distortion can't be the bad guy it's made out to be.

My theory is somehow tubes effect us in a different way of hearing. Like I can tell the difference without looking if I am in a room with a lot of reflections "live" versus a treated room. Can you feel an open doorway when walking a hall? I suspect something in tube gear is more along this line. It's like on some tube systems I get the same sense from the music as I do from another person in the room.

Now on some tube gear a brass instrument, for example, may sound more diffuse, maybe larger than it should, things like this I could accept being from some type of distortion.

At the end of the day we have to listen and choose how we want our system to playback to us. How do we want to hear it.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

At the end of the day I find the discussions sbout amp distortion to some extent misguided. Loudspeakers distort more than amps do. So do adverse room reflections. I can't believe how much perceived distortion and HF "ringing" was removed recently from my room after I installed custom ceiling diffusers (ASC). That was subsequent to other extensive room treatment.
    Simaudio Moon Neo 260 DT CD Transport / MIT SL-Matrix Plus AES/EBU digital cable / Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC / Octave HP 700 preamp / Octave RE 320 stereo amp with Super Black Box / Reference 3A Reflector monitors on Sound Anchors Signature Stands / dual JL Audio Fathom 112 v2 subwoofers on ASC SubTraps / ZenWave Audio D4 and SMSG cables / Acoustic treatment: tube traps, Tri-panels, window plugs, ceiling diffusers (all ASC), large absorbing panels (Acoustics First), diverse carpets chosen for acoustic properties: wool, polypropylene basket-weave

I think the question asked in the OP is far too broad. Is the SS amp Class A or AB? Is the tube amp triode or pentode? I recently directly compared a friend's stereo pentode tube amp to my mono block Class A SS amps in my system and later that same pentode tube amp to a third friend's triode tube mono block amps. I was quite surprised by what I heard. The pentode tube amp sounded very similar in both systems and quite different from the SS Class A amps and triode tube amps while the latter two seemed to have very similar sonic characteristics in the different systems.

All of the amplifiers were able to drive the speakers to adequate levels with what seemed like low distortion, but they really sounded very different and I suspect the three listeners each preferred his own amplifier(s) to the others. I would now like to compare the SS Class A amps to the powerful tube triode amps in the same system to hear how different or similar they sound. That might also be quite surprising given the comments here about how different SS and tube amps are supposed to sound.

It is all quite fascinating and why one should probably hear a particular amp with his speakers before buying it.
    Link to my system thread: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threa...l-sound.32867/
    Analog: Micro Seiki SX 8000 II, 2 NOS SME 3012R tonearms, 2 vdH Colibri Grand Cru, Colibri XPP
    Electronics: Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe, Lamm LL1.1 Signature, Lamm ML2
    Speakers: Vitavox CN-191 corner horns
    Cables: Stock SME phono cables, DIY ICs and speaker cables, Ching Cheng power cords, custom rack and amp stands

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I think the question asked in the OP is far too broad. Is the SS amp Class A or AB? Is the tube amp triode or pentode? I recently directly compared a friend's stereo pentode tube amp to my mono block Class A SS amps in my system and later that same pentode tube amp to a third friend's triode tube mono block amps. I was quite surprised by what I heard. The pentode tube amp sounded very similar in both systems and quite different from the SS Class A amps and triode tube amps while the latter two seemed to have very similar sonic characteristics in the different systems.

All of the amplifiers were able to drive the speakers to adequate levels with what seemed like low distortion, but they really sounded very different and I suspect the three listeners each preferred his own amplifier(s) to the others. I would now like to compare the SS Class A amps to the powerful tube triode amps in the same system to hear how different or similar they sound. That might also be quite surprising given the comments here about how different SS and tube amps are supposed to sound.

It is all quite fascinating and why one should probably hear a particular amp with his speakers before buying it.
    That reminds me of a blind test with a switch box that I heard demonstrated in a store in the Netherlands in the early Nineties. They demoed SS amps, a few Japanese amps and a Rotel. While all amps probably had low distortion figures on paper, they sounded radically different, and the Rotel far and away sounded the most natural. It's not just simplistically about a "topology", you have to hear an amp in your system for yourself.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Al M. View Post
    That reminds me of a blind test with a switch box that I heard demonstrated in a store in the Netherlands in the early Nineties. They demoed SS amps, a few Japanese amps and a Rotel. While all amps probably had low distortion figures on paper, they sounded radically different, and the Rotel far and away sounded the most natural. It's not just simplistically about a "topology", you have to hear an amp in your system for yourself.
    It reminds me of my own blind test where the participants wore sleeping masks. They swore the tube amp was SS and the SS was tube. The comments were pretty funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

@atmasphere you said and repeated over the years that a priori tube amps produce less high order distortion than SS and that is the reason they sound better (your personal opinion); like a fatality in which, even if the tubes wanted to produce high order distortion, they wouldn't be able due to their nature and SS wouldn't be able to get rid or lower the high order distortion to values less than tubes due to its nature. Thats BS statement.

My opinion is that those who prefer tube amps like them exactly because they produce much more distortion (level and order wise) which adds body to the music, make's it sound organic, real, harmonicaly rich whatever. It's the same with vinyl and NOS DACs preferences.

Compare 1st watt distortion a story emerges ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Many say it's the distortion that makes tubes sound like they do, and, I know the different amps measure differently with various distortions. Yet my unscientific mind has serious doubts that it is all distortion related.

Somehow tubes are more able to trigger some sense that a being is singing in the room. In general tubes put a more flesh on the bone feel. And, typically a more 3D like sense, you get more of an organ's body, shape, with tubes, not just notes like most SS. If distortion does this and I still hear the detail, then, distortion can't be the bad guy it's made out to be.

My theory is somehow tubes effect us in a different way of hearing. Like I can tell the difference without looking if I am in a room with a lot of reflections "live" versus a treated room. Can you feel an open doorway when walking a hall? I suspect something in tube gear is more along this line. It's like on some tube systems I get the same sense from the music as I do from another person in the room.

Now on some tube gear a brass instrument, for example, may sound more diffuse, maybe larger than it should, things like this I could accept being from some type of distortion.

At the end of the day we have to listen and choose how we want our system to playback to us. How do we want to hear it.

Most people run toobs below 1 watt at this mW level , distortion is very low , the increase in thd and IMD takes place at higher power levels ..

now ask stereophile to start showing 20 hz/20kh squarewaves and watch everyone run to the hills..

regards

Disagree , its a basic simple question , which do your prefer and why there's no right or wrong answer, just one’s opinion ...

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassphile View Post
    I'm a newb getting back into high end audio after a 40+ year hiatus. Just wondered if there's a clear cut favorite? I'm especially interested to hear why one is chosen over the other.

Are tube amps generally considered superior or do they just sound different? It seems to me that high end audiophiles prefer tubes. But I've also read that there have been many improvements to SS amps making them the relative equals of tube amps.
    I prefer solid state amps in my own system. I have preferred those to the tube amps that I have heard in my system, though I have not heard many alternatives. I have also heard some tube amps that remind me of solid state amps, and visa versa in other systems, though those "typical" characteristics are becoming less apparent to me.

Based on some recent experiments, I find it difficult to generalize about each typology having a characteristic sound.

I don't know which type is generally considered superior. I guess it depends.
    Analog: Micro Seiki SX 8000 II, 2 NOS SME 3012R tonearms, 2 vdH Colibri Grand Cru, Colibri XPP
    Cables: Stock SME phono cables, DIY ICs and speaker cables, Ching Cheng power cords, custom rack and amp stands

Quote Originally Posted by Al M. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    It reminds me of my own blind test where the participants wore sleeping masks. They swore the tube amp was SS and the SS was tube. The comments were pretty funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's interesting. The two comparisons to which I was referring were nothing like blind tests. The listeners knew exactly which amp was which and there was no "black box" switching capability. No one swore that the tube amp sounded like SS or the SS like the tube, nor were there funny comments made after the comparison.

The amplifiers simply sounded different, and in surprising ways, to me at least. They were easy, fun, and educational experiments which were primarily about determining whether or not my friend's stereo pentode tube amp could drive the two pairs of Magico speakers and whether or not the amp produced a "synthetic" sound in those particular systems. I think we all learned a lot.

Disagree , its a basic simple question , which do your prefer and why there's no right or wrong answer, just one’s opinion ...

Regards
    Ok, I see your point. I prefer SS class A amps if the speakers can not be driven adequately by low powered SET tube amps. If the speakers can be driven by low power amps, then I prefer low powered SET tube amps, at least in the specific systems I have heard.

Compare 1st watt distortion a story emerges ...
    You mean this story?

Same SS amp @

1W into 8 Ohm

100W into 8 Ohm

Any corectly biased amp will have lower distortion at 1W than at higher powers.

Nope apples and oranges

Now examine the distortion of well designed toob amps at mW levels its very low , this first watt is very important , this is where toob amps are better than SS , they dont need high NFB to generate low levels of distortion at mW outputs ..

SS amps are better on the gallop , where high powered drive is necessary , unfortunately a good one is a rare beast today ..

BTW ,

SS amps should be matched to the speaker load with the same effort used by tooby guys ..

load first then amp to drive the load ...

Ok, I see your point. I prefer SS class A amps if the speakers can not be driven adequately by low powered SET tube amps. If the speakers can be driven by low power amps, then I prefer low powered SET tube amps, at least in the specific systems I have heard.

Agree for the most part here ...

Now examine the distortion of well designed toob amps at mW levels its very low , this first watt is very important , this is where toob amps are better than SS
    Oh really?

Well wouldn't you know that particular SS amp is of the zero global feedback variety.

Now compare to toob amps @ 1W, that first W sure looks so clean lol

And here is another toob amp @ 1V into 8 Ohm (125mW).

Impressive!

That SS is running Feedback and btw degeneration is feedback ...

regards

Cherry picking graphs does not a picture make , you have to look at global measurements to decide load and drive application ..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh really?

Well wouldn't you know that particular SS amp is of the zero global feedback variety.

Now compare to toob amps @ 1W, that first W sure looks so clean lol

Have you designed or built amps before all feedback is essentially global , so you can leave the market hype like full CLass A and no NFB at home ...

The story which emerges is that all well built tooby amplifiers have very low distortion when operated in the mW range, there is no disadvantage and since most underpower their hiFi systems they end up comparing clipping characteristics , here the tooby amp is less offensive
    And why many consider them over SS amps..

Thats my observation...

all feedback is essentially global
    Afraid to ask but, what do you mean? Are you one of the zombies out there chanting the Feedback is evil mantra btw?

The story which emerges is that all well built tooby amplifiers have very low distortion when operated in the mW range, there is no disadvantage.
    No, the story that emerges is that no toob amp, irrespective of cost, can be as clean as a good SS amp even at mW power level (as if that has any relevance anyway in the real world).

Cherry picking graphs does not a picture make , you have to look at global measurements to decide load and drive application ..
    Only thing that upward distortion graph shows is that the distortion is above the noise.

A downward distortion graph doesn't mean the amp has more distortion at low power, but that the noise covers the distortion (it's a THD+N measurement) and as you lower the power, that noise becomes a larger part of the signal.

The graph bellow shows that the distortion level is under the noise floor right until clipping. But if you do an FFT measurement @1W and @100W, the amp will be cleaner @1W than @100W, despite the apparent higher distortion @1W in the THD+N measurement.

I have maintained over the years that the reason tubes sound smoother (not better) has to do with distortion. BTW, for the graphics to be useful, they should be 50Hz signals as seen but going up to 10KHz, not 1 KHz; these graphics have the same problem as I pointed out to you about the Stereophile measurements. As well they lack validity when divorced from the equipment that they might represent.

Since you mentioned Soundstage measurements, here is your MA1 Mk II.2 amplifier compared to some SS ones.

MA1 Mk II.2

vs Benchmark AHB2

vs Bryston 4B3

vs Luxman M-900u

vs Mola Mola Kaluga (class D no less)

Any corectly biased amp will have lower distortion at 1W than at higher powers.

Regarding our amp, it appears that when Bascomb did the measurement, something in his measurement rig was causing one speaker terminal to be at ground. This causes the amp to make a lot more distortion, starting with the 2nd harmonic (this is on account of the fact that the output section is floating with respect to ground, and the drive becomes unbalanced when one speaker terminal is grounded). Normally the amp's main distortion component is the 3rd (typical of fully differential amplifiers), and in our current lineup that is the primary component, yielding a THD of around 0.5%, not bad for a zero feedback design. In addition we found that when Bascomb made the measurements, he neglected to correct the line voltage. You'll note that he claimed that the amps only made about 100 watts when we rate them at 140 watts. I was curious where the additional power went and it was easy to see. We measure the line voltage at the amplifier IEC connections (120VAC) and he measured it probably on the AC meter of his variac. There was a voltage drop across the power cord; turned out that was where the missing 40 watts went. Power cords apparently have an audible and measurable effect

Regarding your comment about a 'corectly biased amp' [sic] the statement is false. Just look at the distortion curve of most amplifiers and you will see that the distortion has a certain minimum level, below which the distortion increases. This is a phenomena common to many tube, solid state and class D amplifiers. But that first watt is important, just ask Nelson Pass or anyone owning his First Watt products (BTW his little VFET re-imagining of the old Sony circuit is excellent). SETs are some of the very few amplifiers in which the distortion linearly decreases to measurable as power is decreased. It is difficult to build a push pull amp that shares this property but they do exist.

Afraid to ask but, what do you mean? Are you one of the zombies out there chanting the Feedback is evil mantra btw?
    Read Norman Crowhurst.

I have maintained over the years that the reason tubes sound smoother (not better) has to do with distortion. BTW, for the graphics to be useful, they should be 50Hz signals as seen but going up to 10KHz, not 1 KHz; these graphics have the same problem as I pointed out to you about the Stereophile measurements. As well they lack validity when divorced from the equipment that they might represent.
    Yes, tube amps sound smoother due to more distortion, not less. Why the 50Hz graphs should go to 10kHz when the harmonics don't even reach 1kHz? How is it of any relevance the specific amp models? But if it helps you:

for the 50Hz: 1st Benchmark AHB2, 2nd Boulder 2150, 3rd Audionet Max
    for the 1kHz: 1st Benchmark AHB2, 2nd Audionet Max, 3rd Musical Fidelity AMS100

Regarding our amp, it appears that when Bascomb did the measurement...
    Now you're blaming the measurement and the power chord?

Regarding your comment about a 'corectly biased amp' [sic] the statement is false. Just look at the distortion curve of most amplifiers and you will see that the distortion has a certain minimum level, below which the distortion increases.
    Yes, if and when the distortion raises above the noise. If not, you'll just have a straight downward curve right until clipping. Any amplifier, tube or SS, SE or PP, has less distortion at low power than at high power.

Only thing that upward distortion graph shows is that the distortion is above the noise.

A downward distortion graph doesn't mean the amp has more distortion at low power, but that the noise covers the distortion (it's a THD+N measurement) and as you lower the power, that noise becomes a larger part of the signal.

The graph bellow shows that the distortion level is under the noise floor right until clipping. But if you do an FFT measurement @1W and @100W, the amp will be cleaner @1W than @100W, despite the apparent higher distortion @1W in the THD+N measurement.

Tell me something i don’t know ..

John usually post graphs which is distortion only vs frequency less the noise and i Don't usually care which topology is being used if it gets the job done ..

BTW, whats odd about that graph you posted ...?

Clip much ...

Any amplifier, tube or SS, SE or PP, has less distortion at low power than at high power.
    Why is that ...?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Do you prefer SS or tube? Why?