Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Magico A3 placement - what are you finding?

My A3's are still a couple of months away from arriving, but I'm wondering what other owners have found about ideal placement compared to whatever they had in the past.

During a 4 day or so audition at home, I found that they were rather bass boomy when placed in my usual position (about 20 inches from the rear wall) and that the boom cleared up when they were pushed back to 12 inches from the wall. Given that they aren't ported, I assume that this is all about room nodes and such - vs. some inherent property of the speaker (?)

"Only" 12 inches from the rear wall works fine for room aesthetics, but does seem unusual to me. These will be my first sealed box speakers.

Re: Magico A3 placement - what are you finding?

See the A3 User Guide downloadable from the Magico website (under Support). You might also consider investing in a copy of Jim Smith's book "Get Better Sound."

There are several room mode calculators available for free online. Using one, you might be able to get a rough idea of the frequencies and locations where reinforcement or cancellation might occur.
    Neko Audio
    Authorized Dealer: AC Infinity, APC, Audeze, Bryston, Devialet, Elite HTS, Fortress Seating, JMF Audio, JVC, Kaleidescape, LG, LUMIN, Magico, Ortofon, RME, Samsung, Soulution, STAX, Trinnov, Vivid Audio, Weiss & more.

Bart, it is often as much about where the listening seat is located as it is about where the speakers are located. If you got better sound moving your speakers closer to the front wall, then I would suggest your seat needs to be relocated for the smoothest base response in the room. Then start moving your speakers out into the room following Magico's advice at first. I agree that you might be well served by reading Jim Smith's book or contacting him the way another AudioShark A3 owner did. That owner is very pleased with with the results he got.
    Link to my system thread: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threa...l-sound.32867/
    Analog: Micro Seiki SX 8000 II, 2 NOS SME 3012R tonearms, 2 vdH Colibri Grand Cru, Colibri XPP
    Electronics: Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe, Lamm LL1.1 Signature, Lamm ML2
    Speakers: Vitavox CN-191 corner horns
    Cables: Stock SME phono cables, DIY ICs and speaker cables, Ching Cheng power cords, custom rack and amp stands

Mine sound best 32 inches out from front wall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LUMIN U1 Mini, Chord DAVE, Chord MScaler, SR Galileo BNCs, Wireworld Starlight Cat 8, AQ Cinnamon Cat 6 Synergistic Research Atmosphere X Ethernet CAT6, Synergistic Research Galileo UEF Blue Fuse Treated SC, SR L4IC, Shunyata Sigma NR PCs, Shunyata Denali 6000S v2 conditioner, Shunyata EF PC, Magico S3Mk2, Gryphon Diablo 300, Furutech GTX & Oyaide SWO outlets driven by dedicated 30A homerun 10gauge AC lines wired according to MSB Technologies best practices for wiring your house for best power: http://www.msbtechnology.com/faq/how...or-good-power/.

If they are like my S3 Mk2s, "bass boomy" is also a characteristic of Magicos that are not fully broken in. Consequently, IMO, best not to worry too much over placement until the break-in
    process is complete (about 500 hours for mine; don't know about A3s).

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Magico A3 placement - what are you finding?