Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

How long does it take to adequately warm up the tubes (power and preamp) of a tube amp designed for home audio?

I've always owned tube powered guitar amps. Usually but not always NOS 6L6 power amp tubes and usually but not always NOS 12AX7 preamp tubes. I found it takes about 20 minutes to warm up and "stabilize." I've also found the tone of a tube powered guitar amp to be slightly inconsistent for those first 20 minutes or so. I've never owned a tube powered home audio amp. Do they require approximately the same warm up time? More, less, none at all?

Re: How long does it take to adequately warm up the tubes (power and preamp) of a tube amp designed for home audio?

I have noticed that my tube gear sounds considerably better after about 20-30 minutes!
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Re: How long does it take to adequately warm up the tubes (power and preamp) of a tube amp designed for home audio?

It depends a lot on which tube you're talking about.
    Tubes like Randy's 6C33's are very slow to ramp up and stabilize.
    However as stated 20-30 minutes is generally more than satisfactory.
    The other components in the piece of equipment may require more time to reach their potential though.
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Cables & Tubes "subject to change without notification".
    Complete system on battery power/solar
    Core Audio Design Rack
    DIY bass traps and custom curved diffusors.

When the somore's are ready so are the tubes. I'm kidding, I wouldn't know.

My CJ gear took 30 to 45 minutes to open up.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Any of my ARC amps 30 min. +-
    Synology 1019D+ - SGC Sonictransporter I9 w Roon/HQ Player- UltraRendu- PBD Stream IF to Playback Designs MPS5 via fiber optic - ARC 40th Anniversary Pre - ARC 610 T's - Martin Logan CLX's - 4 Martin Logan Depth i Subs - Shunyata Hydra, DIY PCOCC interconnects, speaker cables and power cords with Furutech terminations. Blue Jeans CAT 6's. Acoustically treated room with one permanent chair.

Jadis DA 50:

5 minutes - good
    30 minutes - better
    60 minutes - perfect
    hifi:
    power: Audioplan Powerstar, Audioplan Finefilter, Audioplan Powerplant, Powercord
    tube amp: Jadis DA 50 Signature RC, Line Magnetic 508ia
    speaker: Living Voice Avatar 2
    turntable: Pro-Ject Xtension 10 + Ortofon Quintet Black MC
    phono stage: Remton 383 MKII
    cables: Audioplan Musicable bic 7a, Profigold, Wilbrand

home-cinema: Sony blu-ray, Yamaha rx v2700, Heco Metas 700 (4x), Heco center

the variable for 'tube warm up' has a direct correlation to ones own personal perceived belief's as well.

FWIW, when I was running tube amps (KT120's) for the initial 20 hours or so of the new tubes they were re-biased a couple of times, after which tube bias stabilized to where they remained as such for hundreds of hours. It was at that point that I felt comfortable with 30-45 min warm ups ...........
    Cheers ! …. Dave

My all tube amplification system gets smoother after about 15 minutes. If pushed to describe it, I would say the mods become fuller.
    Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Esoteric Grandioso C1X Solo PreAmp, Bricasti M21 DAC, M32 Mono Amplifiers, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server with 4TB internal SSD
    Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Alpha NR v2 PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
    Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - Alpha CGS cables
    Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches with fiber in between powered with Keces P3 LPSU,
    Cables: Wireworld Platinum Starlight 2.0 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 1M & 6M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
    Other: Isoacoustics GAIA I footers on the Kharmas, GIK & Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Ultra SS under
    Everest and Amplifiers, Three dedicated 20 Amp lines w/Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona 5 Shelf rack, ROON, a few HRS weighs

Thirty minutes works for me even with the hybrid BHK gear.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

My pair of McIntosh MC2301 tube power amplifiers hit their stride at about 30 minutes. I generally turn the sound system on about a half hour or so before I begin listening.

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

I used to turn mine on ahead of time as well but it still seemed like it took a bit of music playing to get them at the right point. Definitely seemed to reduce the overall time from cold though.

Quote Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
    My pair of McIntosh MC2301 tube power amplifiers hit their stride at about 30 minutes. I generally turn the sound system on about a half hour or so before I begin listening.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

I really don't notice any major changes during warm up of the CJ gear... a slight change during the first half hour or so, but, it's sweet from the start!
    Magnepan 20.7 - CJ ART 300s - CJ GATV2 - Meitner MA-1 V2 -Dedicated JRMC + Synology NAS

My CJ never sounded bad, after about 30 minutes or so you should hear like the sound stage sort of open more and a more relaxed sound. Maybe at the end of a CD/album play the first track again, if you trust your memory I think you will hear what I mean. It's almost like a flower closed to the cold and opening up in the warm sun

Quote Originally Posted by Rayooo View Post
    I really don't notice any major changes during warm up of the CJ gear... a slight change during the first half hour or so, but, it's sweet from the start!

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

About 9 to 10 minutes for my HH Scott 299C - 15 minutes for my Scott 296.

I turn on the ref 6 about 45 minutes before I begin listening. also gives me a chance to finish the second jack and coke...
    Aurender > Weiss > Audio Research > SoundField
    Oppo > Lexicon > Hegel > SoundField

Quote Originally Posted by tube-vds View Post
    Jadis DA 50:

5 minutes - good
    30 minutes - better
    60 minutes - perfect
    Just to add to this:

90 minutes to 2 hours - Outstanding!
    Paul

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
    Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
    Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
    Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
    Music Server: Aurender N100H
    Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
    SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
    Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
    AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

How long does it take to adequately warm up the tubes (power and preamp) of a tube amp designed for home audio?