Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Opinions On The Revel F228Be?

Just curious of your opinions on the F228 Be? Most of you are more experienced regarding high end home audio vs myself and I'd appreciate a critique of this speaker. I did get to listen to the F228 Be on two separate occasions and hear them run by 2 different amps...the Audio Research VSi75 integrated and a McIntosh power amp (forgot the model). The speaker sounded gorgeous with both amps but I had a very slight preference for the AR. The entire system had such a smoothness to it. I loved it. However, I didn't compare the system or components to any others. Any forum members had experience with the Revel speakers? Could you compare them to speakers in a similar price range. The F228 Be goes for $10,000 a pair. Thank you so much.

Audioshark

Re: Opinions On The Revel F228Be?

As mentioned in another post, I have a pair coming in on trade in about a week. The customer traded them in on Magico A3’s. He told me last night the A3’s are “a lot better”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Mike, I thought those were the F228Bes that were taken on trade? Sorry if I had that wrong. I'm just starting to learn names and model numbers. As you well know, it's hard to keep them all straight. From what I've read so far the Magicos are truly top notch stuff. Wish I had some close by to audition. Hopefully I'll get to hear them.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassphile View Post
    Mike, I thought those were the F228Bes that were taken on trade? Sorry if I had that wrong. I'm just starting to learn names and model numbers. As you well know, it's hard to keep them all straight. From what I've read so far the Magicos are truly top notch stuff. Wish I had some close by to audition. Hopefully I'll get to hear them.
    They are F228Be’s coming in.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

I've heard the 228B and they sound good. Unfortunately, they aren't in the best room so I think they could even be better, nor, have I been able to do a direct comparison between them and anything else.

Speakers are very much a personal preference, so if you do hear a speaker and love it trust your ears, another may be different, but "better" is highly subjective. Plus if you get an audition then you can see how th amp drives the speakers, is it loud enough, is there distortion, etc. Also, not all speakers sound good with every amp, so if the ARCRevel does something for you..... Another amp may not have that good synergy.

I liked the A3's as well but really can't comment since location and gear was so much different. Hopefully, I'll hear them again in April to refresh my memory.

I started a thread some time back in "speakers", something about $10k price point, there's a lot of options at that price.

It's sort of like Let's Make A Deal for you, d I want the 228b in my hand or go for what's behind door #2. LOL No, I can understand wanting to explore before deciding, especially just getting back into things.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

How did you manage to get a customer a pair of A3s? I thought they were like 36 months out or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

Marty

Aurender N20 / SonicTransporter i7 / Roon
    MSB Premier
    Constellation Inspiration Preamp 1.0 / Mono 1.0
    Dynaudio Confidence 50 / SVS SB13 Ultra
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
    How did you manage to get a customer a pair of A3s? I thought they were like 36 months out or something.
    They are, but I buy them in bunches. He got one from my August order.

Super Moderator

Mike has everything coming in all the time
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Mike has everything coming in all the time
    Mike knows a guy
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Sorry, Mike. My brain isn't in gear today.

Audioshark

Sorry, Mike. My brain isn't in gear today.
    I can relate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    I've heard the 228B and they sound good. Unfortunately, they aren't in the best room so I think they could even be better, nor, have I been able to do a direct comparison between them and anything else.

Speakers are very much a personal preference, so if you do hear a speaker and love it trust your ears, another may be different, but "better" is highly subjective. Plus if you get an audition then you can see how th amp drives the speakers, is it loud enough, is there distortion, etc. Also, not all speakers sound good with every amp, so if the ARCRevel does something for you..... Another amp may not have that good synergy.

I liked the A3's as well but really can't comment since location and gear was so much different. Hopefully, I'll hear them again in April to refresh my memory.

I started a thread some time back in "speakers", something about $10k price point, there's a lot of options at that price.

It's sort of like Let's Make A Deal for you, d I want the 228b in my hand or go for what's behind door #2. LOL No, I can understand wanting to explore before deciding, especially just getting back into things.

Yeah, I really like the 228b but I'm trying to keep an open mind. I'd love to hear the A3s. My speaker allowance will likely be in the $10,000 to $12,000 range, possibly more if I can spend a little less on amplification, streaming, cables, and incidentals. My total budget will be in the $20,000 to $25,000 range but it would be great if I didn't have to spend that much. I'll consider used if it's in very good or better condition.

If willing to buy used, does your Revel dealer have a set of Studio 2 in the shop? Not sure if it would be as tube friendly though. Joe probably knows. Studio 2 is a killer Revel and has been in the line for years along with the Salon 2 flagship.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    If willing to buy used, does your Revel dealer have a set of Studio 2 in the shop? Not sure if it would be as tube friendly though. Joe probably knows. Studio 2 is a killer Revel and has been in the line for years along with the Salon 2 flagship.

No Studio 2s at my dealer that I noticed. Just the F228s.

Audioshark

Yeah, I really like the 228b but I'm trying to keep an open mind. I'd love to hear the A3s. My speaker allowance will likely be in the $10,000 to $12,000 range, possibly more if I can spend a little less on amplification, streaming, cables, and incidentals. My total budget will be in the $20,000 to $25,000 range but it would be great if I didn't have to spend that much. I'll consider used if it's in very good or better condition.
    Come visit me and we can listen to a variety of speakers in your budget range, along with amps, etc.

Come visit me and we can listen to a variety of speakers in your budget range, along with amps, etc.

I would very much love to do that, Mike. It could possibly happen. Although I'm looking at a 1500+ mile drive from southern Iowa. The wife and I would have to make a vacation of it. Not an impossibility but not likely to happen soon. I'm retired but my wife still works. It would take a little planning. But, man, that would be a dream visit for me.

Audioshark

I would very much love to do that, Mike. It could possibly happen. Although I'm looking at a 1500+ mile drive from southern Iowa. The wife and I would have to make a vacation of it. Not an impossibility but not likely to happen soon. I'm retired but my wife still works. It would take a little planning. But, man, that would be a dream visit for me.
    You could fly and be here in no time.

You could fly and be here in no time.

Yeah, I could but my arms are feeling kind of weak right now. Sorry, couldn't resist. But my wife and I were actually discussing it this AM. It would still have to be early next year. But it could be a visit where I could make some decisions and finalize my system. Getting excited just thinking about it.

Yeah, I could but my arms are feeling kind of weak right now. Sorry, couldn't resist. But my wife and I were actually discussing it this AM. It would still have to be early next year. But it could be a visit where I could make some decisions and finalize my system. Getting excited just thinking about it.
    Get there already!

If I’m shopping for $25k system, I’ll be at Mike’s tomorrow. Mike also has the Revel you like coming in on trade, just arrange for side by side comparison with A3’s. I don’t think this kind of opportunity comes around often.

For $25k, A3’s + Diablo 300 + Lumin T2 would give you a killer system.

Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    Get there already!

If I’m shopping for $25k system, I’ll be at Mike’s tomorrow. Mike also has the Revel you like coming in on trade, just arrange for side by side comparison with A3’s. I don’t think this kind of opportunity comes around often.

For $25k, A3’s + Diablo 300 + Lumin T2 would give you a killer system.

I'll hop in the Lear and be there in about 2 1/2 hrs. That's just typical for my timing...a day late and a dollar short. The well's pretty dry right now. Gonna have to save some coin. I just hate it when great deals are offered and I'm pretty much helpless to do anything about it. But, a year goes pretty fast these days and there will be that final trip to pick everything out. I'll just have to be patient. I remember when I saved and saved for a top notch high end audio system back in the late '70s. Took a year and a half. But the time came and when the entire store staff delivered it we had a cookout and partied. It was wonderful.

the F228Be must be amazing as it wins the Harman spinorama test

Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Mike what finish are the F228be that are coming in?
    Marty

Aurender N20 / SonicTransporter i7 / Roon
    MSB Premier
    Constellation Inspiration Preamp 1.0 / Mono 1.0
    Dynaudio Confidence 50 / SVS SB13 Ultra
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
    Mike what finish are the F228be that are coming in?
    Walnut I believe.

I would seriously look at the used market when it comes to speakers. Amps and other electronics I put a ten year old limit on buying used, but there's just too many advantages. There was recently a pair of salon 2 on ag for $9100., I just got a pair of meridian dsp8000's for a fraction of their new price and when you take into account the cost of built in electronics i'm very comfortable putting them against any $20-25k new system.

The size of the room, the levels you play at, the purpose, ht or stereo or even the ability to expand all matter. I heard the f228be in the same room with the same gear and in the exact same spot as the salon 2 and the used salon2 was the same price and obviously a more refined experience...until I got them home.
    Whatever you like in a shop or friends home may sound much different in your own room so as awesome as mike is I think he would recommend you work with a local shop, provided they're not just hustlers, and start bringing stuff home. most places don't swipe the card for a loaner. just when the time comes and you've spent a year give those guys your business.
    KEF Blade, Mc-611's, C49 rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner. Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, meridian 218 zone controller VA Beethoven's, Hegel h360.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team