Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Question for those with Networking Skills

As I alluded to elsewhere here I gave up on getting my Netgear Orbi mesh network to play nice with the GigaFOIL, AQ Diamond and Keces LPS. Since I removed them Roon dropouts are again non-existent. I liked what I was hearing with the GigaFoil and Diamond and never felt I could give the Keces a fair trial. If I could get things to work I would probably give them another try so here is my question.

I had plenty of issues getting the Orbi Wireless router and two satellites to work properly with pieces in my audio set-up. It always worked really well for all of the other devices in my home and I get great coverage for my +5000 sq feet. Mike also had issue with Netgear and returned it. If everything else didn't work so well I might consider that too. I am thinking of creating two separate wireless networks in my house. One for just my audio gear along with my current Orbi for everything else. The issue is I need to connect these both to only one Comcast cable modem. How difficult is that to do? From Googling this on the net the answers are not always clear.

Even though the Orbi devices all have 4 Ethernet ports I had to add un-managed switches between the Orbi's and audio related devices connected to them. That solved my issues until the GigFOIL and AQ Diamond came into play.

It looks like I need to use switches and probably reconfigure IP ranges (something I haven't ever done) to configure two networks with one modem. Again, any simple suggestions|?
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Jim, appears you need separate VLANs for each grouping you want to separate. Each VLAN would use a different subnet to service both staric and/or DHCP addressing. E.g., vlan101 192.168.2.x /24 for audio only gear and vlan201 192.168.3.x /24 for everything else. This would give you 254 useable hosts on each subnet segment. If you don't obviously need that many hosts you could use a /27 subnet mask and that would give you 30 useable hosts per segment which should be plenty.

I have no idea what the configuration possibilities are with the Netgear Orbi device. But, if you go searching the Internet for Netgear Orbi, vlans and separate subnets, your bound to find whether your device can function or not at that capacity. Same goes with any interconnected Ethernet switches. My guess is that your current system may have limitations in order to provide the kind of complexity that's been described.

Found one conversation but have not read all the way through...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orb...T/td-p/1563648
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Re: Question for those with Networking Skills

Jim

Are you using just a plain cable modem or a Gateway for your phone too. If the later you might try ordering a set of three of the Xfinity xFi pods and see if they work better than the Orbi units. They have been up and running in my house for a couple of months. No issues so far but I would suggest you turn everything off but the Gateway before you install them and then let the Gateway and pods find the gear.

https://www.xfinity.com/learn/intern.../xfi-pod-3pack
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

I had your exact situation. I ended up selling the Orbi and went with a UniFi network. I purchased a security gateway (USG), an 8 port UniFi switch 150W POE, a cloud key, a few access points, and several Mesh Access points (for areas I couldn’t run Ethernet). All from Amazon.

This setup is incredibly flexible and you can create VLAN’s as well as port isolation. If you are fairly technical its straight forward to set up. Crosstalk Solutions on YouTube has a ton of setup videos.

I am also running Fibre SFP from my server room to my music room (switch to switch). Hopefully will get an X1 and go straight from switch to the streamer via Fibre.

If this is all gibberish to you, go watch some of the crosstalk videos and you’ll see what he is talking about.

https://youtu.be/HcfIpTso_Ys

OMG! Digital is not complicated at all. Cloud keys, mesh access points...
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Jim

Are you using just a plain cable modem or a Gateway for your phone too. If the later you might try ordering a set of three of the Xfinity xFi pods and see if they work better than the Orbi units. They have been up and running in my house for a couple of months. No issues so far but I would suggest you turn everything off but the Gateway before you install them and then let the Gateway and pods find the gear.

https://www.xfinity.com/learn/intern.../xfi-pod-3pack
    I am using a plain Motorola cable modem. No, I do not have internet phone lines. We still have a landline.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCh View Post
    Jim, appears you need separate VLANs for each grouping you want to separate. Each VLAN would use a different subnet to service both staric and/or DHCP addressing. E.g., vlan101 192.168.2.x /24 for audio only gear and vlan201 192.168.3.x /24 for everything else. This would give you 254 useable hosts on each subnet segment. If you don't obviously need that many hosts you could use a /27 subnet mask and that would give you 30 useable hosts per segment which should be plenty.

I have no idea what the configuration possibilities are with the Netgear Orbi device. But, if you go searching the Internet for Netgear Orbi, vlans and separate subnets, your bound to find whether your device can function or not at that capacity. Same goes with any interconnected Ethernet switches. My guess is that your current system may have limitations in order to provide the kind of complexity that's been described.

Found one conversation but have not read all the way through...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orb...T/td-p/1563648
    Mike. I am lost.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    Mike. I am lost.
    Oh, but digital is so simple.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

We still have a landline.
    God bless you. I do too.
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Mark, it's actually very simple if you're not required to build it for your listening pleasure. I listen to records as you know and it's my largest software library by a big margin. When I'm not spinning records I will listen via the Lumin. Lately the digital listening I do has been the majority as I just don't have time to sit and relax into a record like I want... but I digress, Lumin gear is user-easy, sounds fantastic, and requires plugging in an available Ethernet cable.

No extravagant networking required at my house for listening to music.
    Avanti Audio

Jim

I don’t think you need 2 networks.

Are the switches you use Netgear and are they rated 10/100/1000?

I had an issue running 2 Ethernet runs to the AQVoxSE and a Control 4 home automation controller after I switched some cables. I called and we sat plugging and unplugging Eeros and finally they said my DLink switch, the same one the AQVox SE uses has compatibility issues is the culprit - but it worked fine prior. So I went back and seen I created a loop between two devices that was causing the dropouts.

So maybe you have done something like this or your switch is not compatible?

Modem >>> switch >>> Gigafoil >>> DAC/Streamer or both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCh View Post
    Mark, it's actually very simple if you're not required to build it for your listening pleasure. I listen to records as you know and it's my largest software library by a big margin. When I'm not spinning records I will listen via the Lumin. Lately the digital listening I do has been the majority as I just don't have time to sit and relax into a record like I want... but I digress, Lumin gear is user-easy, sounds fantastic, and requires plugging in an available Ethernet cable.

No extravagant networking required at my house for listening to music.
    Me neither, but it's all relative. My digital sounds really good.

Same here.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Difficulties typically arise when you have several devices in your system assigning IP addresses. They interfere with each other and create dropouts. This could be the case if you e.g. have two routers or other kind of access points in your system.

Another issue you might run into is the available bandwidth of your routers. If the routers are already a couple years old, they might not support the latest protocols and be overwhelmed with the bandwidth requirements. This can lead to drop-outs. I recently upgraded my entire home network to Linksys Velop and it helped the audio quality as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Just inserted the Gigafoil in front of my upsampler and first listen last night was very impressed. I think the effort in solving your networking issues will be rewarded.

I currently use an ASUS mesh network for wireless and have started to convert all my wired equipment to Ubiquiti Unifi switches. My Upsampler is wired, and I have 5 other Roon endpoints of which 4 use wireless for streaming. So far, so good...

I’ll PM my contact info, and happy to discuss setups to help see if can determine/resolve any issues.
    Main System:
    Speakers: Magico S3 MK1 | Amp: Boulder 1160 | Pre-Amp: Ref10 | Digital: DCS Vivaldi 3/4 stack & esoteric K07x | Phono-Pre: ARC Ref 2se | Phono: AMG Viella w\ 12JT & Benz LPS cart.

Living Room:
    Speakers: KEF LS50 | Amp: Primaluna Prologue Premium | Digital: Lumin D2

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    This has nothing to do with digital, it is network related. My digital is working simply and flawlessly.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    Jim

I don’t think you need 2 networks.

Are the switches you use Netgear and are they rated 10/100/1000?

I had an issue running 2 Ethernet runs to the AQVoxSE and a Control 4 home automation controller after I switched some cables. I called and we sat plugging and unplugging Eeros and finally they said my DLink switch, the same one the AQVox SE uses has compatibility issues is the culprit - but it worked fine prior. So I went back and seen I created a loop between two devices that was causing the dropouts.

So maybe you have done something like this or your switch is not compatible?

Modem >>> switch >>> Gigafoil >>> DAC/Streamer or both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yes, I am using a TRENDnet 5-Port Unmanaged Gigabit GREENnet Desktop Metal Switch, Ethernet Splitter, Fanless,10 Gbps Switching Fabric, Lifetime Protection, TEG-S50g. It is a 10/100/1000 unmanaged switch. This was suggested by Andrew from Small Green Computer when two other switches including TPLink would not work.

My setup is Motorola Cable Modem---->Netgear Orbi Router----->Trendnet Switch---SGC i5 and dCS Upsmapler hard wired to that switch

There are about 12-15 devices that connect wirelessly to the main Orbi Wireless Modem
    There are about 2-3 wireless and 1 hardwired device that connect to Orbi Satellite #1
    There are about 3 wireless devices and 1 hardwired device that connect to Satellite #2

The wireless connections can move from device to device as we move handheld products around the house.

I have assigned fixed IP addresses for the i5, the dCS Upsampler and the Meridan MS-200 used for the whole house set-up on set-up.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyS View Post
    Just inserted the Gigafoil in front of my upsampler and first listen last night was very impressed. I think the effort in solving your networking issues will be rewarded.

I currently use an ASUS mesh network for wireless and have started to convert all my wired equipment to Ubiquiti Unifi switches. My Upsampler is wired, and I have 5 other Roon endpoints of which 4 use wireless for streaming. So far, so good...

I’ll PM my contact info, and happy to discuss setups to help see if can determine/resolve any issues.
    After I added the TrendNet switch months ago all issues disappeared until I inserted the GigaFoil into the loop and dropouts kept me from any enjoyable listening sessions. Dropouts stopped after I removed those devices and I have had none since. The Netgear Orbi is too fickle about what is on the network and that is why I want to create a second (non Netgear) network that will keep my audio devices off the Negear set-up used for the rest of the house.
    Jim

The gear you have now can't be configured for two networks. You'd need a system which supports multiple VLANs and the NATing of both your internal networks to the single public IP which you get from your ISP. The Ubiquiti gear mentioned earlier in the thread should be able to do this for you.

Quote Originally Posted by vortrex View Post
    The gear you have now can't be configured for two networks. You'd need a system which supports multiple VLANs and the NATing of both your internal networks to the single public IP which you get from your ISP. The Ubiquiti gear mentioned earlier in the thread should be able to do this for you.
    Thanks. In that case I'll stick with stability over trying GigaFoil again.
    Jim

Jim,
    One thing you may try and I find that works well is to put the switch in right after your modem and run all your hardwired Ethernet devices to the switch. Use one port of the switch for the Orbi WiFi router configured as an access point.

I also run all my WiFi A/V stuff on 5 GHz and everything else on 2.4 GHz.
    Tom

Audio:
    Amati Futura Mains
    Amati Homage VOX Center,
    Proac Response 1sc Rears,
    Three MC2301's for L,C,R
    MC 602 for the rears
    C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 77
    Nottingham Dais with Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation
    SurfacePro 3, JRiver, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

Video:
    MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
    Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 80, Rega P3

OnDeck:
    McIntosh MAC 4300v

The issue is I need to connect these both to only one Comcast cable modem. How difficult is that to do? From Googling this on the net the answers are not always clear.

Again, any simple suggestions|?
    Here you go. This is what I did to connect two routers.

https://youtu.be/J5QJb3O19zI

Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    Here you go. This is what I did to connect two routers.

https://youtu.be/J5QJb3O19zI
    Thanks for the post. I watched the video and could follow what he was doing. My only concern is that in that scenario the second device would connect to one my Netgear Orbi's network ports (actually to a port on a switch that is connected to the a Orbi port) and I might still have my issues with the Orbi in that loop.
    Jim

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team