Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Momentum HD Preamp

Looks like Dan finally got around to updating his Momentum preamp, including aligning the aesthetics with the M400s:

Basic info: https://www.dagogo.com/17993-2/

I always found the pre slow and syrupy so this piqued my interest:

Taking advantage of the increased power supply capability, the output stages are now operating at a 36% percent higher voltage. “The increased output voltage has opened up the dynamics on both the micro and macro levels.” D’Agostino continued. “The speed of the dynamic contrasts jump out on a visceral level.”

Re: New Momentum HD Preamp

Darn, it looks like I know where the funds in my audio "kitty" are headed next.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Interesting! I hope Dan and Bill will be at Axpona. Would like to discuss this new offering (upgrade program).

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

I contacted my dealer this morning. Now I just have to decide whether to update my current pre or purchase a new one with the design which would better my M400's.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    I contacted my dealer this morning. Now I just have to decide whether to update my current pre or purchase a new one with the design which would better my M400's.
    Jim,

It would be pretty cool to have a new matching Momentum preamp to your black Momentum monoblocks.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

My wife and I spoke with Bill and Adrian last week at a local "Music Matters" event and indeed there will be an upgrade program. While we usually don't purchase anything without an audition, last year at Munich when talking with Dan, he was so confident in the benefits of this upgrade and since we trust his words given he knows our system and preferences and he has not let us down ever in the past; we are already on the list to get the upgrade.

We are very much looking forward to getting this.
    Front End: MSB Select II DAC, MSB Reference Transport, Magnum Dynalab MD107T, Aiwa AD-F990
    Amplification: Dan D'Agostino Momentum HD Preamplifier & Momentum M400 MxV Monoblocks, Crown XLS 2502 (x3) (subwoofers)
    Speakers: Scaena La Maitresse Ultime Loudspeaker System
    Cables: Shunyata Aeros Aurora-SP, Shunyata Aeros Aurora-IC, Jungson Golden Dragon
    Power: GigaWatt PC-4 EVO+, GigaWatt LS-2HCEVO, Jungson Pure Power, JPS Labs AC+, Transparent HPPC
    Miscellaneous: ​Bohmer/Legacy Audio Wavelet DSP/Room Correction

Jim - I’ve reached out as well. My plan would be to upgrade. Thx!

Mike

I can't imagine how good this new one is. The old one was fantastic and if the difference is anything close to the M300 to M400 difference was - wholly ef!!!!!!!!!!!

What a deal to be able to upgrade for $7,500
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

New at $40K shipping sometime March 2019.

Yep, $7500 to upgrade the PreAmp to the level of a $40K PreAmp, and it is also the same amount to upgrade the 300’s in each’s, in the case of Monos.

I’m sure it’s well worth it for the sake of sound, but I am happy at the moment and will hang tight.

One note I appreciated is they indicated the “Momentum HD Preamplifier builds on the award winning platform” so I don’t feel like I own a non worthy piece in my current line up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

So did anyone upgrade?

I’m on the wait list for the upgrade.

Mike

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
    If it’s as big as the amp upgrade, look out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

I am also on the wait list for the upgrade.
    Front End: MSB Select II DAC, MSB Reference Transport, Magnum Dynalab MD107T, Aiwa AD-F990
    Amplification: Dan D'Agostino Momentum HD Preamplifier & Momentum M400 MxV Monoblocks, Crown XLS 2502 (x3) (subwoofers)
    Cables: Shunyata Aeros Aurora-SP, Shunyata Aeros Aurora-IC, Jungson Golden Dragon
    Power: GigaWatt PC-4 EVO+, GigaWatt LS-2HCEVO, Jungson Pure Power, JPS Labs AC+, Transparent HPPC

I had a nice conversation with Dan last evening at a Paragon Event. We talked for some time about the modifications he has made to create the new HD pre-amp I was probably a bit ambivalent even though I have placed my deposit but now I am fired up to get it into my system. One point he clarified is that those who have their units updated will also have RF remote capabilities. So remember to package your remote with the unit when it is time for the update.

He indicated that the update requires new boards(s) which will be different from those going into newly manufactured units. A delay in ordering those boards has created the delay we are experiencing. It is not like I am suffering without the update.
    Jim

I had a nice conversation with Dan last evening at a Paragon Event. We talked for some time about the modifications he has made to create the new HD pre-amp I was probably a bit ambivalent even though I have placed my deposit but now I am fired up to get it into my system. One point he clarified is that those who have their units updated will also have RF remote capabilities. So remember to package your remote with the unit when it is time for the update.

He indicated that the update requires new boards(s) which will be different from those going into newly manufactured units. A delay in ordering those boards has created the delay we are experiencing. It is not like I am suffering without the update.
    Jim,

Thanks for the update as I didn't know the reason for the delay. Even since we talked with Dan last year about this update we were stoked given what he was telling us. Indeed, we also can't wait to get this done and in our system.

Thanks gain for the data as to why there is a delay.

Does that mean an upgraded Dan pre to HD will sound different to a new Dan HD? better or worse in sound?
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    Does that mean an upgraded Dan pre to HD will sound different to a new Dan HD? better or worse in sound?
    As far as I could tell from the discussion there should no difference between a updated unit and a entirely new unit save for the slight change in exterior cosmetics. The internal changes are not just a one for one swap outs of parts. My guess is the FET's replacing some op amps along with all of the other modifications make a new board mandatory. I considered trading in my unit towards a brand new one but more for the cosmetic changes than any possible SQ variations.
    Jim

Audioshark

Love the D’Ag Momentum amps/preamp. Congrats on the HD upgrades guys.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Just a side note. Dan looks great. He has lost 65 pounds and looks healthier than ever. I should have grabbed a photo.
    Jim

Well, I received a call yesterday from our local dealer and they are coming today to pick up our Momentum Pre-amp to ship back to D'Agostino for the upgrade.

So, the upgrade queue must be moving. Good news: Upgrade is finally here. Bad news: No Dan Pre-amp in the interim.

Quote Originally Posted by laynesaddiction View Post
    Well, I received a call yesterday from our local dealer and they are coming today to pick up our Momentum Pre-amp to ship back to D'Agostino for the upgrade.

So, the upgrade queue must be moving. Good news: Upgrade is finally here. Bad news: No Dan Pre-amp in the interim.
    Good news. I expect to hear something soon.

Instead of borrowing a pre from my dealer I think I will just connect my dCS DAC direct for the time being. Will you be going MSB direct or borrowing a pre?
    Jim

Good news. I expect to hear something soon.

Instead of borrowing a pre from my dealer I think I will just connect my dCS DAC direct for the time being. Will you be going MSB direct or borrowing a pre?
    Jim,

We will go straight/direct as you are planning to.

Thanks.

Jim,

We will go straight/direct as you are planning to.

Thanks.
    All day long I would do that, it’s temporary and will give you both perspective

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

I disconnected by pre-amp last evening in preparation for dropping at my dealers for the shipping to Dan's shop for the upgrade. As planned I connected my Vivaldi DAC direct to the amps and have been listening that way for several hours now. I must say I am surprised at how good it sounds. My initial thoughts are that I could live with this set-up indefinably. I wonder if that changes the more I listen.
    Jim

It’s not unheard of, saves over $30K but limits other sources and perhaps loses some DD synergy?

You point is well made. Even though I seldom require the analog section of the pre-amp it is nice to know its there.
    Jim

Well today I decided to skip the upgrade on my Momentum pre-amp and just trade it towards a new Black HD unit. My dealer is ordering me a unit and I will listen happily with my Vivaldi direct to my M-400's until it arrives.
    Jim

Audioshark

Well today I decided to skip the upgrade on my Momentum pre-amp and just trade it towards a new Black HD unit. My dealer is ordering me a unit and I will listen happily with my Vivaldi direct to my M-400's until it arrives.
    Congrats. Gorgeous stuff.

Congratulations. What made you decide to get an HD model instead of upgrading? New color? Cosmetics of the HD to match M400? I hope they get your new HD out quickly and congratulations again.

Dollars wise, it seems to make more sense. Excited to hear and see the setup when all done!

Congratulations. What made you decide to get an HD model instead of upgrading? New color? Cosmetics of the HD to match M400? I hope they get your new HD out quickly and congratulations again.
    Yes to all. I like that my units will again be the same color and the updated styling where the copper on the face plate rolls up to the top of the unit better matches the latest M-400's. I am in no big hurry since I am really enjoying the sound of the Vivaldi direct to the M-400's.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    Dollars wise, it seems to make more sense. Excited to hear and see the setup when all done!
    Yes, I think we have worked out a price where I feel the new unit makes sense when compared to cost just for a the update. I could easily live without the current pre if I didn't want flexibility.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Congrats. Gorgeous stuff.

Mike I now have a better understanding why several of your customers enjoy running their MSB Selects and Reference units direct to the amps. There are positives and negatives when inserting a pre-amp into our setups.
    Jim

Congrats Jim! Beautiful pre.

Mike

Congrats Jim! Beautiful pre.
    Thanks Mike.
    Jim

My pre goes out on Monday for the HD upgrade. I’m told 5 day turnaround.

Lots of listening ahead the next couple of days since I’ll be without a system for a little bit.

Mike

Lots of listening ahead the next couple of days since I’ll be without a system for a little bit.
    Mike
    Glad you will get yours back that soon. It looks like it is going to take longer to have my new unit built than getting one updated.
    Jim

Very busy at D’Agostino!

Mike

Audioshark

Awesome company with awesome stuff. Congrats on the upgrades guys.

Rumor has it my new unit will hit the dealer tomorrow!!!
    Jim

Jim - After 5 days with my upgraded HD, I can tell you that you will be very happy. Looks like a great weekend ahead for you!

Mike

I now have the new unit in my home. I hope to get it set-up in my system before I head to the game tomorrow. First listening should come Sunday and maybe a couple of photos.
    Jim

should stop reading these threads - I want one!! at least to listen to first.

does anyone use the tone controls much?
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika

Plus shipping, it would approximately be a 3 week deal, right?

I now have the new unit in my home. I hope to get it set-up in my system before I head to the game tomorrow. First listening should come Sunday and maybe a couple of photos.
    Man, you have patience - if it were me, I would have that unpacked and setup with 30 minutes, maybe less

should stop reading these threads - I want one!! at least to listen to first.

does anyone use the tone controls much?
    That’s the crappy part of the hobby.

I am just before the HD and a tone control guy, and have always used tone controls in audio just because.

That’s the crappy part of the hobby.

I am just before the HD and a tone control guy, and have always used tone controls in audio just because.

How are the tone controls on the Dag pre amp? they work at adding a little upper frequency spark or reduce the bass a little?

I use a Deqx hdp-4 for eq in my tape loop and use when I feel the need to. no tape lop on the Dag pre amps, which to me a potential issue.

How are the tone controls on the Dag pre amp? they work at adding a little upper frequency spark or reduce the bass a little?

I use a Deqx hdp-4 for eq in my tape loop and use when I feel the need to. no tape lop on the Dag pre amps, which to me a potential issue.
    Tape loop? That’s a term I haven’t thought about since the early 80’s.
    Jim

Tape loop? That’s a term I haven’t thought about since the early 80’s.
    It's the perfect way to use eq without it always being in the signal if you are not using it.

I know cj and Pass have them on their pre amps.

Plus shipping, it would approximately be a 3 week deal, right?

It was about 2.5 weeks - including shipping.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

New Momentum HD Preamp