Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Banned

Stereophile Recommended Components: 2019 Edition

Re: Stereophile Recommended Components: 2019 Edition

Thanks Joe!
    Paul

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
    Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
    Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
    Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
    Music Server: Aurender N100H
    Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
    SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
    Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
    AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.

Yes, I use it more as a list of avoidance. For the most part if it is on this list, avoid it. This has worked well for me for years. I have found that what does not make it on this list is better than what does. That's just my milage, everyone's will vary.

Always fun to look at it. So much gear that is missing. And, also, gear that's included that is no longer made.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Quote Originally Posted by Audiophobiac View Post
    Yes, I use it more as a list of avoidance. For the most part if it is on this list, avoid it. This has worked well for me for years. I have found that what does not make it on this list is better than what does. That's just my milage, everyone's will vary.
    Agree. From my perch, this is just an absurd outdated list, that appears to be used by Stereophile as a "filler". In my younger days I may have referred to it but now it is a nuisance I avoid. Same goes with all these "Golden Ears" etc awards.

at least the Stereophile list is not related to their list of current advertisers, like another publication. I'd rather something be somewhat irrelevant than manipulative.

This only reflects what they have reviewed. They can only review so much each month, so a lot of gear will be over looked. I guess that is a boo-hoo moment, but that’s life. However, they should change the list name to ‘Gear Reviewed’.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Audioshark

I think real owners on forums are quickly surpassing magazines as the source for new buyers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
    at least the Stereophile list is not related to their list of current advertisers, like another publication. I'd rather something be somewhat irrelevant than manipulative.
    I'd rather not have any of the two.
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

The recommended components list has its limitations.

First, the component must generally be reviewed by Stereophile and it’s obviously not possible to review everything.

Second, the component must be currently available in the US and furthermore generally be available at five or more hi-fi retail outlets. This ruling tends to preclude or at least disfavour manufacturers that sell direct to end users and also product which is either new to the US market or hasn’t yet built out the requisite dealer network.

Third, Stereophile reviewers and editors generally pick and choose what products to review based on their own interest and what they felt appropriate for their readers to know about. If reviewers are not current or have little interest in state of the art digital products / DAC's etc, or don't wish to risk their reputation on products which might be considered 'esoteric' or pseudoscience in nature - then these products will be absent.

Fourth, product not represented in the US is absent from the list. There are of course some outstanding audio manufacturers which do not target, have a strong interest in, or lack the resources to engage the US market.

I am not criticising the above limitations as they are defensible or at least understandable. For example, it is perfectly reasonable for Stereophile to consider it wasteful to publish reports on products that the magazine's U.S. readers could not locally audition for themselves at specialty retailers.

However, the limitations IMHO do tend to lead to lists which look dated and devoid of many new and outstanding audio products.
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_1282001 View Post
    The recommended components list has its limitations.

First, the component must generally be reviewed by Stereophile and it’s obviously not possible to review everything.

Second, the component must be currently available in the US and furthermore generally be available at five or more hi-fi retail outlets. This ruling tends to preclude or at least disfavour manufacturers that sell direct to end users and also product which is either new to the US market or hasn’t yet built out the requisite dealer network.

Third, Stereophile reviewers and editors generally pick and choose what products to review based on their own interest and what they felt appropriate for their readers to know about. If reviewers are not current or have little interest in state of the art digital products / DAC's etc, or don't wish to risk their reputation on products which might be considered 'esoteric' or pseudoscience in nature - then these products will be absent.

Fourth, product not represented in the US is absent from the list. There are of course some outstanding audio manufacturers which do not target, have a strong interest in, or lack the resources to engage the US market.

I am not criticising the above limitations as they are defensible or at least understandable. For example, it is perfectly reasonable for Stereophile to consider it wasteful to publish reports on products that the magazine's U.S. readers could not locally audition for themselves at specialty retailers.

However, the limitations IMHO do tend to lead to lists which look dated and devoid of many new and outstanding audio products.

JA Review Policy

The Law and the Prophets: Stereophile's Review Policies

John Atkinson | Mar 9, 2007

https://www.stereophile.com/asweseei...wsi/index.html
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Here's the good news: No one is required to read any list of recommended components, but you are free to read them and bitch about them on forums.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Here's the good news: No one is required to read any list of recommended components, but you are free to read them and bitch about them on forums.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    This only reflects what they have reviewed. They can only review so much each month, so a lot of gear will be over looked. I guess that is a boo-hoo moment, but that’s life. However, they should change the list name to ‘Gear Reviewed’.
    Long understood. I don't begrudge certain gear being left off or included or whatever. We all have our favorites, so what?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I think real owners on forums are quickly surpassing magazines as the source for new buyers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't know about that, but I will add that I just think Stereophoole (as I call it) and most other publications are irrelevant on the whole in my opinion. I trust their reviews as far as I can throw the building they are written in.
    In my opinion, self-education and research should be the majority source. Good to ask questions of owners indeed, but keep in mind that experiences are as varied as snowflakes because we all have different rooms, downstream gear, ears, tastes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Usually people whine and bitch because someone isn't validating their purchases.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

I don't know about that, but I will add that I just think Stereophoole (as I call it) and most other publications are irrelevant on the whole in my opinion. I trust their reviews as far as I can throw the building they are written in.
    In my opinion, self-education and research should be the majority source. Good to ask questions of owners indeed, but keep in mind that experiences are as varied as snowflakes because we all have different rooms, downstream gear, ears, tastes, etc.
    I trust them no more or and no less than the so called experts who post on the various audio websites that populate the net.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    I trust them no more or and no less than the so called experts who post on the various audio websites that populate the net.
    Yes. For me alone, I boil it down to this: After gathering just the facts on a piece of consideration, I move it to no see-ee, no hear-ee, no buy-ee. That's just my policy for me though.

I find most of the Stereophile and TAS reviews touch on the areas of a component's performance I want to know about, but I still do further research. Forums are somewhat helpful, but you always have opinions that are heavily biased and often contain utter nonsense. I prefer a balanced review (subjective and objective), and I respect most of the reviewers opinions (they are just opinions after all) I read on Stereophile and TAS.

People that write off all or most of the reviews in magazines usually are the ones that have heavy biases and aren't open to opinions other than their own. Their opinions are of little use to me because of their biases.
    MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp, SST Son of Ampzilla II Amp, PS Audio Directstream DAC w/Bridge II, PS Audio Directstream Memory Player, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, ELAC 3070 Sub, Roon Nucleus w/8TB SSD storage

HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - HiFi Rose RS250, KEF LS50W Nocturne Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Projectman View Post
    I find most of the Stereophile and TAS reviews touch on the areas of a component's performance I want to know about, but I still do further research. Forums are somewhat helpful, but you always have opinions that are heavily biased and often contain utter nonsense. I prefer a balanced review (subjective and objective), and I respect most of the reviewers opinions (they are just opinions after all) I read on Stereophile and TAS.

People that write off all or most of the reviews in magazines usually are the ones that have heavy biases and aren't open to opinions other than their own. Their opinions are of little use to me because of their biases.
    My question would be how are people with heavy biases any different from reviewers in stereophile or other publications? I find them to be very heavily biased as well and of no use. Realize that reviewers review what they want to review. They are not told to review the pieces they do. They choose the pieces.
    I approach it with "opinions are just that, opinions". One can agree or not. Example: Some folks like horn-loaded speakers, others (like myself) go running from the room usually. No one piece is for everyone. Just like music, some like variety and some are very narrow only liking one style, to each their own and it should never have baring on gear, even speakers unless they are not voiced for your preference.
    That is why I just stick with cold hard facts as boring as it may be and then use my ears to decide what "I" think of said product and that is only for me. It has no bearing on joe blow down the street and his system. I built my system for me to listen to.
    I do know a couple of reviewers (independant) with the passion and are like switzerland, totally neutral. They demo in real-world, and give you a more general findings opinion without trying to sell you and they tell you upfront it is opinion. I don't get that from publications like Stereophile, TAS, etc. I can appreciate those "neutral opinions" for what they are, but would not hang my hat on them. In fact, those guys I know flat out say not to do that! I like that kind of honesty and/or integrity.

My question would be how are people with heavy biases any different from reviewers in stereophile or other publications? I find them to be very heavily biased as well and of no use. Realize that reviewers review what they want to review. They are not told to review the pieces they do. They choose the pieces.
    I approach it with "opinions are just that, opinions". One can agree or not. Example: Some folks like horn-loaded speakers, others (like myself) go running from the room usually. No one piece is for everyone. Just like music, some like variety and some are very narrow only liking one style, to each their own and it should never have baring on gear, even speakers unless they are not voiced for your preference.
    That is why I just stick with cold hard facts as boring as it may be and then use my ears to decide what "I" think of said product and that is only for me. It has no bearing on joe blow down the street and his system. I built my system for me to listen to.
    I do know a couple of reviewers (independant) with the passion and are like switzerland, totally neutral. They demo in real-world, and give you a more general findings opinion without trying to sell you and they tell you upfront it is opinion. I don't get that from publications like Stereophile, TAS, etc. I can appreciate those "neutral opinions" for what they are, but would not hang my hat on them. In fact, those guys I know flat out say not to do that! I like that kind of honesty and/or integrity.
    I go in to reading reviews with an open mind and I believe most reviewers do the same. An opinion is just that. To say that Stereophile, TAS or even your opinion has no value is like putting your head in the sand. I don't like sand in my hair and ears so I will keep my head up and be on the lookout for differing opinions and make my own decision. Perhaps audiophiles do what you do, but as an enthusiast I have my eyes wide open.
    MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp, SST Son of Ampzilla II Amp, PS Audio Directstream DAC w/Bridge II, PS Audio Directstream Memory Player, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, ELAC 3070 Sub, Roon Nucleus w/8TB SSD storage

HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - HiFi Rose RS250, KEF LS50W Nocturne Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Projectman View Post
    I go in to reading reviews with an open mind and I believe most reviewers do the same. An opinion is just that. To say that Stereophile, TAS or even your opinion has no value is like putting your head in the sand. I don't like sand in my hair and ears so I will keep my head up and be on the lookout for differing opinions and make my own decision. Perhaps audiophiles do what you do, but as an enthusiast I have my eyes wide open.
    I'm as far as you get from audiophile by any stretch. I'm a music enthusiast. For me, its music before gear. When I am considering a piece (which will not happen for the rest of my life now that my system is built), I do gather up any reviews on it to compare notes, but that is as far as I go and I take it with a salt-lick. I always feel like the reviewers at Stereophile, TAS etc. are just trying to sell me a bill of goods. I don't respond to marketing or paid adverts, outlandish claims, etc.
    The only opinion that has any meaning is your own in what you heard or experienced with said piece at the end of the day
    I don't habitually read those magazines or other reviews on gear, whether I like the peice or am interested or not. I do this only if I am needing to get something. I finished my system (yes, "finished" forever, not 2 weeks or 3 months or whatever) about just less than 3 months ago.
    For me it is about the music, first, last and always, period, end of story. So now I can get back to it.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Stereophile Recommended Components: 2019 Edition