Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Stereophile Recommended Components: 2019 Edition

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stereophile Recommended Components: 2019 Edition

Thanks Joe!
    Paul

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
    Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Preamp: PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS
    Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Bryston BDA-3 Music Server: ​Aurender N100H
    SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Eclipse 7 (I) Wireworld Eclipse 6 and 7 Biwired (S) Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB) AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I use it more as a list of avoidance. For the most part if it is on this list, avoid it. This has worked well for me for years. I have found that what does not make it on this list is better than what does. That's just my milage, everyone's will vary.

4. Likes Priaptor, aKnyght liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Always fun to look at it. So much gear that is missing. And, also, gear that's included that is no longer made.

Mike

6. Likes Mike, Kuoppis liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audiophobiac View Post
    Yes, I use it more as a list of avoidance. For the most part if it is on this list, avoid it. This has worked well for me for years. I have found that what does not make it on this list is better than what does. That's just my milage, everyone's will vary.
    Agree. From my perch, this is just an absurd outdated list, that appears to be used by Stereophile as a "filler". In my younger days I may have referred to it but now it is a nuisance I avoid. Same goes with all these "Golden Ears" etc awards.

8. Likes Audiophobiac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

at least the Stereophile list is not related to their list of current advertisers, like another publication. I'd rather something be somewhat irrelevant than manipulative.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audiophobiac View Post
    This only reflects what they have reviewed. They can only review so much each month, so a lot of gear will be over looked. I guess that is a boo-hoo moment, but that’s life. However, they should change the list name to ‘Gear Reviewed’.
    Bud

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for preamp, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

I think real owners on forums are quickly surpassing magazines as the source for new buyers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, Keces Power Supplies, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SRA, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

12. Likes Odyssey, NorthStar, Toomey, FDPDK, Kuoppis, Skanda liked this post
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
    at least the Stereophile list is not related to their list of current advertisers, like another publication. I'd rather something be somewhat irrelevant than manipulative.
    I'd rather not have any of the two.
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

Post Thanks / Like

The recommended components list has its limitations.

First, the component must generally be reviewed by Stereophile and it’s obviously not possible to review everything.

Second, the component must be currently available in the US and furthermore generally be available at five or more hi-fi retail outlets. This ruling tends to preclude or at least disfavour manufacturers that sell direct to end users and also product which is either new to the US market or hasn’t yet built out the requisite dealer network.

Third, Stereophile reviewers and editors generally pick and choose what products to review based on their own interest and what they felt appropriate for their readers to know about. If reviewers are not current or have little interest in state of the art digital products / DAC's etc, or don't wish to risk their reputation on products which might be considered 'esoteric' or pseudoscience in nature - then these products will be absent.

Fourth, product not represented in the US is absent from the list. There are of course some outstanding audio manufacturers which do not target, have a strong interest in, or lack the resources to engage the US market.

I am not criticising the above limitations as they are defensible or at least understandable. For example, it is perfectly reasonable for Stereophile to consider it wasteful to publish reports on products that the magazine's U.S. readers could not locally audition for themselves at specialty retailers.

However, the limitations IMHO do tend to lead to lists which look dated and devoid of many new and outstanding audio products.
    Borresen Acoustics ApS Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

15. Likes FDPDK liked this post

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast