Stereophile Recommended Components: 2019 Edition - Page 3
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stereophile Recommended Components: 2019 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Audiophobiac View Post
    My question would be how are people with heavy biases any different from reviewers in stereophile or other publications? I find them to be very heavily biased as well and of no use. Realize that reviewers review what they want to review. They are not told to review the pieces they do. They choose the pieces.
    I approach it with "opinions are just that, opinions". One can agree or not. Example: Some folks like horn-loaded speakers, others (like myself) go running from the room usually. No one piece is for everyone. Just like music, some like variety and some are very narrow only liking one style, to each their own and it should never have baring on gear, even speakers unless they are not voiced for your preference.
    That is why I just stick with cold hard facts as boring as it may be and then use my ears to decide what "I" think of said product and that is only for me. It has no bearing on joe blow down the street and his system. I built my system for me to listen to.
    I do know a couple of reviewers (independant) with the passion and are like switzerland, totally neutral. They demo in real-world, and give you a more general findings opinion without trying to sell you and they tell you upfront it is opinion. I don't get that from publications like Stereophile, TAS, etc. I can appreciate those "neutral opinions" for what they are, but would not hang my hat on them. In fact, those guys I know flat out say not to do that! I like that kind of honesty and/or integrity.
    I go in to reading reviews with an open mind and I believe most reviewers do the same. An opinion is just that. To say that Stereophile, TAS or even your opinion has no value is like putting your head in the sand. I don't like sand in my hair and ears so I will keep my head up and be on the lookout for differing opinions and make my own decision. Perhaps audiophiles do what you do, but as an enthusiast I have my eyes wide open.
    MAIN SYSTEM - Pass Labs INT-30A, PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio Directstream Memory Player, Lumin U1 Network Transport, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, Definitive Technology PF15TL Subwoofer, AcousticZen Matrix Reference XLR Interconnects, Wireworld Platinum Starlight AES/EBU Cable, Audioquest CV-8 Speaker Cables, TimberNation Audio Rack, TimberNation Isolation Platform

HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - Esoteric I-03 Integrated Amplifier, Lumin U1 Network Transport, T&A DAC 8 DSD, Oppo BDP-103 SACD Player, KEF LS50 Speakers, Audioquest CV-8 Speaker Cables, Wireworld Startlight 7 USB Cable, Shunyata Venom USB Cable, Transparent Balanced MusicLink Plus XLR Interconnects, ZuMission and WAudio Power Cords

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stereophile Recommended Components: 2019 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Projectman View Post
    I go in to reading reviews with an open mind and I believe most reviewers do the same. An opinion is just that. To say that Stereophile, TAS or even your opinion has no value is like putting your head in the sand. I don't like sand in my hair and ears so I will keep my head up and be on the lookout for differing opinions and make my own decision. Perhaps audiophiles do what you do, but as an enthusiast I have my eyes wide open.
    I'm as far as you get from audiophile by any stretch. I'm a music enthusiast. For me, its music before gear. When I am considering a piece (which will not happen for the rest of my life now that my system is built), I do gather up any reviews on it to compare notes, but that is as far as I go and I take it with a salt-lick. I always feel like the reviewers at Stereophile, TAS etc. are just trying to sell me a bill of goods. I don't respond to marketing or paid adverts, outlandish claims, etc.
    The only opinion that has any meaning is your own in what you heard or experienced with said piece at the end of the day
    I don't habitually read those magazines or other reviews on gear, whether I like the peice or am interested or not. I do this only if I am needing to get something. I finished my system (yes, "finished" forever, not 2 weeks or 3 months or whatever) about just less than 3 months ago.
    For me it is about the music, first, last and always, period, end of story. So now I can get back to it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3