Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

A very Good Guitarist

Last evening Linda and I went to see Rodney Crowell live at The Ark in Ann Arbor where the opening act was a 27 year old Australian guitarist who currently lives in the US. He grabbed the audience attention right out of the gate. He played amplified acoustic all evening as he stayed and backed up Crowell. There are plenty of Youtube videos showing him on both acoustic and electric guitars.

Here are couple of examples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zXwp9xH8SU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zXwp9xH8SU
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Re: A very Good Guitarist

I’ve noticed a lots of the younger guitarists using more fingerpicking techniques, instead of plectrum play. Very nice technique indeed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Wow, thanks for sharing this one. He can also play Electric as well as both Acoustic and Electric at the same time at 6 minute mark.

-----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

A very Good Guitarist

Brand new album, just downloaded it (and also bought the vinyl from his website).

Thank you for the recommendation, Jim.

Attached Images Attached Images

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

I'm a huge fan of Rodney Crowell, and we're going to his St Louis show May 2nd. He collaborated with Tommy Emmanuel about a year ago (another amazing acoustic guitarist) and opened for him last year. Looking forward to seeing Joe Robinson. Thanks!
    Two Channel
    YG Acoustics Carmel, REL S/3 (pair); Bricasti M25 / M20 / M1 Limited Gold, Laufer Teknik Memory Player 64 32 Core; Nordost QB8mkII / QX1 / QV2 / QKore3; Echole Obsession XLR, Liquid Cables by Laufer Teknik speaker/USB/power, Stealth Audio Sextet V15T AES/EBU cable; Stillpoints Apertures and various Artnovion; IsoAcoustic Gaia II speaker footers and Stillpoints Ultra SS; Shun Mook discs; Audiav Zirconia rack

Home Theater

Revel Performa I30, I20, C32, B15a; NAD Masters M17 pre/pro, Lexicon LX-7 amp, Cambridge Audio CXUHD, BluSound Vault II; PSAudio PowerDirector 3.5; Transparent power and interconnect cables, AudioQuest speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by ptman View Post
    I'm a huge fan of Rodney Crowell, and we're going to his St Louis show May 2nd. He collaborated with Tommy Emmanuel about a year ago (another amazing acoustic guitarist) and opened for him last year. Looking forward to seeing Joe Robinson. Thanks!
    Rodney Crowell's show at The Ark on Wednesday was the first on his current tour after taking four months off. It is a great venue with no-one 50 feet from the stage. At max it holds 400 people.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

I wish sometimes that guitarists made famous for their guitar work or genre wouldn’t switch direction from what they do best. Case in point Jonny Lang changing from blues and Joe Robinson from instrumentals on his early stuff to not great singing on his last. But I guess as a youth prodigy you want to do your own thing.
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

Larry, I hear you. May I however suggest an additional and alternate point of view.

Agreed, that Joe Robinson developed a distinguishable style as an acoustic guitar player. I especially like his fingerpicking play. And he is quite good at that. So far the consensus.

On the other hand, an artist is also evolving and might want to do something new once in a while. Also, the audience for an acoustic guitar act is limited due to the listening attention it requires, and that space is rather crowded. Hence, the new album for sure expands his audience due to him now becoming a more complete act. And personally, I don’t mind his singing either, but that is based on personal taste. Well, also artists got to eat A very Good Guitarist.

But I feel e.g. Joe Bonamassa has the problem you describe. First being a child prodigy, and then trying to desperately own the blues does not work so well for me. I liked his “Different Shades of Blue” album though. Also, when comparing those two, I find that Joe R. has so far maybe retained a bit more of his original qualities in his electronic play and is thus a bit less traditional. I enjoy his use of arpeggios and parallel plug of multiple strings as style elements, which are clearly derived from his acoustic style. But the vocal lines are undoubtedly occasionally a bit commercial, I give you that.

Personally, I nevertheless find Joe Robinson’s new album highly listenable, and it’s superbly recorded. Bought the LP and digital download. I really like it, but I think you are correct in the sense that listening to it is different from listening to his earlier acoustic work.

PS: I need to be a bit cautious here, as I think you are the quite a bit more accomplished guitarist of us and thus better able to judge the quality of their play A very Good Guitarist.

No doubt Joe Robinson’s last recording is excellent, displaying great guitar work and composition,probably a notch or 2 better than his previous work. Just quite a departure from his roots. I am a big Jonny Lang fan having seen him around 4 times over the years. He puts on an awesome live performance better than Bonammasa whom I have seen twice.
    Yes artists need to evolve...I remember the pissed off reaction Dylan got when he went “electric “

Naw, I play guitar well enough to thoroughly entertain just myself, more of a “poser” as my sons liked to call me. I just have always loved the instrument and all the great music it has given us. Try to imagine Blue’s and Rock n Roll without it.
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

Reminds me of Michael Hedges and Calum Graham.
    Marty

Aurender N20 / SonicTransporter i7 / Roon
    MSB Premier
    Constellation Inspiration Preamp 1.0 / Mono 1.0
    Dynaudio Confidence 50 / SVS SB13 Ultra
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

He can play!
    Thanks for posting.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

A very Good Guitarist