Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Conrad Johnson ART27A Stereo Triode Tube Amp

More in updated post 47. Pictures on the way.
    Wilson Yvette speakers, [B]Conrad-Johnson [ART88 [B]pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART 27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Wireworld Gold and Platinum ICs, USB and power cables, Rega Planar 10 turntable/ Apheta cartridge, Wireworld Platimum Eclipse 8 speaker cables, AQ Hurricane and Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 6000S/V2, Sigma NR PC and DELTA USB cords, Symposium and Stillpoint vibration control, JL Audio Fathom 113 subwoofer, dCS Bartok Streamer/DAC

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I’m biting my tongue on this thread. Not a fan of the new owner. He goes back on his word.

I miss Bill and Lou. Men of integrity and vision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike,

Lew stopped by here today. He comes down to family in this area a couple of times a year. Let me know you'd like to meet him.

Bob
    Wilson Yvette speakers, [B]Conrad-Johnson [ART88 [B]pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART 27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Wireworld Gold and Platinum ICs, USB and power cables, Rega Planar 10 turntable/ Apheta cartridge, Wireworld Platimum Eclipse 8 speaker cables, AQ Hurricane and Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 6000S/V2, Sigma NR PC and DELTA USB cords, Symposium and Stillpoint vibration control, JL Audio Fathom 113 subwoofer, dCS Bartok Streamer/DAC

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
    Mike,

Lew stopped by here today. He comes down to family in this area a couple of times a year. Let me know you'd like to meet him.

Bob
    I’ve met him before at CES a few times, but would love to have him stop by the store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

As we know, Conrad-Johnson amplifiers take a bit longer to break in due to all the proprietary caps. Well the ART27 just continues to improve. Coming from an ART150S, surprisingly, the lower power has been absolutely no issue at all. For everyday listening streaming from the dCS Bartok at 2 volts, the GAT volume setting of 28 is loud enough to annoy my wife's TV two rooms away. In a 20x30x12 room. Somehow we are driving more bass to the Yvettes than the 150 did with similar music. For phono out of the C-J TEA1bc, the GAT needs about five more clicks, easily done. That said, the sound is magnificent. Rich and detailed. Noticeably more dynamic, better transients. Don't know how you convince folks that 36WPC is this much better than 150 but it's immediately obvious to any savy listener. I guess that's it. Will it be enough in my room, for my speakers. with my music? An easy decision in my case.

Oh yes... I owe this post some pictures as soon as I figure out how to post them.

Quote Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
    As we know, Conrad-Johnson amplifiers take a bit longer to break in due to all the proprietary caps. Well the ART27 just continues to improve. Coming from an ART150S, surprisingly, the lower power has been absolutely no issue at all. For everyday listening streaming from the dCS Bartok at 2 volts, the GAT volume setting of 28 is loud enough to annoy my wife's TV two rooms away. In a 20x30x12 room. Somehow we are driving more bass to the Yvettes than the 150 did with similar music. For phono out of the C-J TEA1bc, the GAT needs about five more clicks, easily done. That said, the sound is magnificent. Rich and detailed. Noticeably more dynamic, better transients. Don't know how you convince folks that 36WPC is this much better than 150 but it's immediately obvious to any savy listener. I guess that's it. Will it be enough in my room, for my speakers. with my music? An easy decision in my case.

Oh yes... I owe this post some pictures as soon as I figure out how to post them.
    HI, i recently acquired ART27A amp and now looking for a preamp to set a system, ET7S2 vs GAT S2, i have not heard either.
    is there any major sonic deference between two, when price is taken in consideration.
    I know both are single ended as is ART7A amp.
    I had issues connecting amp to AR ref6 preamp due to balanced outputs.
    Thank you for your input.
    Sami

Hey Sami,

I have a GAT I and it's terrific. So would recommend GAT. But, didn't you say Jeff was using the ET7s2 in his system to demo the ART27A for you? That surprised me a bit but he may not have had a GAT on hand to use but it still says a lot for the ET7. You now know him so call and ask about the sound differences. He'll be absolutely truthful with you. The GAT may have some additional capabilities like extra inputs that the ET7 doesn't. And then it comes down to a budget decision. Good luck and have fun.

Best,
    Bob

Thank you, Bob,
    I would call him ,decision is really about cost and sonic improvement as price is 13k VS 26.5K.
    I am gravitating to idea of purchasing ET7A as i have listened to it with Aurrender N1 and it sounded almost Vinyl.No regrets here.ET7A is new model compared to GAT. it has single 6922 vs duo for Gat( double capacitors, resistors and other parts);some how,I thought you might have compared the two.
    Thanks,
    Sami

Hey Sami,
    I suspect if you get the ET7A you will never look back. My GAT I is an early model so consideration to send it in for an upgrade has been on my mind for years. Some say that after the upgrade, they actually liked the sound of the I better than the II. I think we are splitting hairs now as they say. As a retired guy, for twice the price, the decision would be easy.

Enjoy,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by sam5 View Post
    Thank you, Bob,
    I would call him ,decision is really about cost and sonic improvement as price is 13k VS 26.5K.
    I am gravitating to idea of purchasing ET7A as i have listened to it with Aurrender N1 and it sounded almost Vinyl.No regrets here.ET7A is new model compared to GAT. it has single 6922 vs duo for Gat( double capacitors, resistors and other parts);some how,I thought you might have compared the two.
    Thanks,
    Sami
    If you're shopping for preamp, I would get a First Sound Presence Deluxe III-Si 4.0 rather than a ET7-S2. The First Sound is a better preamp, and for considerably less than $12K for an ET7-S2. As someone who has owned three C-J preamps over the last 12 years, yes, they're great, but the First Sound is completely on another level altogether. I used a CT-5 for 10 years and while's a very good sounding preamp, my First Sound pre makes it sound thin and 2-dimensional by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    If you're shopping for preamp, I would get a First Sound Presence Deluxe III-Si 4.0 rather than a ET7-S2. The First Sound is a better preamp, and for considerably less than $12K for an ET7-S2. As someone who has owned three C-J preamps over the last 12 years, yes, they're great, but the First Sound is completely on another level altogether. I used a CT-5 for 10 years and while's a very good sounding preamp, my First Sound pre makes it sound thin and 2-dimensional by comparison.
    Hi PC,
    I see a preamp on horizon soon (in few months).first I have to pay my CC, burn ART27 tubes and use Ref 6 preamp. I'll definitely give a listen to first sound preamp before making final decision.
    Thanks.
    Sami

Quote Originally Posted by sam5 View Post
    Hi PC,
    I see a preamp on horizon soon (in few months).first I have to pay my CC, burn ART27 tubes and use Ref 6 preamp. I'll definitely give a listen to first sound preamp before making final decision.
    Thanks.
    Sami
    If you have a Ref 6, you're in good stead. When you're ready to think about a First Sound, let me know and I'll connect you with Emmanuel Go of First Sound.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Conrad Johnson ART27A Stereo Triode Tube Amp