Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Really liking the Conrad Johnson

I am new to this forum. I have just got two older pieces of Conrad Johnson gear. I got a MV 55 amp and a PV 12 pre amp. I will tell you this one thing. I have had lots of gear over the years but man this stuff sounds really nice. I like to hear goo mids and highs and it produces that. It is a real smooth sound. I am really liking what I am hearing from this equipment.
    1. Amps, Conrad Johnson MV 55, QuickSilver 8417 monos, Aragaon 4004 MKII, Nakamichi PA 7
    2. Pre Amps, Conrad Johnson PV 12, VTL 2.5, QuickSIlver Tube line stage
    3. Speakers, Sonus Faber Grand Piano, Grand Piano Home, Concertino, M@K S-1B, Monitor Audio
    4. Turntables, Marantz TT 15, VPI Travler, Project 2excellence
    5. CD players, Rega Apollo, Jupitar, California Audio

Super Moderator

Re: Really liking the Conard Johnson

Congratulations!

I absolutely love CJ gear, and my GAT2 especially.

Welcome to the forum.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Congratulations!

I absolutely love CJ gear, and my GAT2 especially.

Welcome to the forum.
    Thanks is the GAT2 a newer piece. I was not into Conrad Johnson but have always liked tube gear. I think they do it right. The sound is so smooth and just sounds right. This looks like a great forum.
    1. Amps, Conrad Johnson MV 55, QuickSilver 8417 monos, Aragaon 4004 MKII, Nakamichi PA 7
    3. Speakers, Sonus Faber Grand Piano, Grand Piano Home, Concertino, M@K S-1B, Monitor Audio

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by vintage 5.0 View Post
    Thanks is the GAT2 a newer piece. I was not into Conrad Johnson but have always liked tube gear. I think they do it right. The sound is so smooth and just sounds right. This looks like a great forum.
    The GAT2 is the current top of the line preamp. I've had more than my share of CJ gear over the years but nothing ever came close to sounding like music should sound.

You obviously have great taste Ha!

Thank you for the forum compliments. We have a great group of audiophiles here and I'm grateful for the members here.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Welcome to AS.

Nice Gear
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Welcome. I like CJ as well and used to own the PV14ls2, the CT-6 and a couple ov MV60's converted to mono. Really enjoyable sound. The pieces you have are a bit older.

Curious how the CJ compares to the VTL you have?
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Welcome to the AS forum, Ken? I know you from AK!

I had an ET3 SE preamp and really enjoyed it while it was here.

Welcome. Are you doing mch? (seeing the 5.0 in your signature). Still using my MET-1 for my multichannel files. Nice, elegant machine.

Larry
    Analog-VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono,2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2, Merrill Trident Tape Preamp, Herron VTPH-2A&BottleheadPhonoPre,
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicroso nicsModel2 AD
    Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC Roon/HQPlayer,Oppo105
    Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-512 Engineering Tim Marutani Symmetrical Power IsoTrans and cables,AudioDiskVinylCleaner,
    Music-2.3KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,60TBripped files

Quote Originally Posted by astrotoy View Post
    Welcome. Are you doing mch? (seeing the 5.0 in your signature). Still using my MET-1 for my multichannel files. Nice, elegant machine.

Larry
    Larry my 5.0 stands for something else. I am in my mid 50s also.

I like the VTL alot. Is just a line stage but it has nice sound. I have some pretty good tubes in it. I ran it with a Nakamichi PA 7 and a McCormack DNA .05 gold mod I just sold. It did a real nice job. I have it now playing with a Aragon 4004 MKII. I think for me I like what the Conrad Johnson is doing a little more. Not sure what the sound is except real smooth and nice. I have never had a set up like this that I just did not want to stop listening to the music. I would like to know about those mono amps. I have a set of Quicksilver 8417 mono amps I really like. They were my first favorite but now I think my second best.

Super Moderator

When I had my original GAT with my ART monos on my Studio2, it was pure heaven. It was just way too many tubes for me but great memories.

You’ll notice with CJ, not only smooth, but layered, tremendous depth, 3D and amazing separation. You don’t immediately notice it, but the more you listen the more you realize how musical and right CJ sounds. It’s just wonderful.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I am right now listening to some Adele on Vinyl. I have not really had a chance to get to listen to the phono stage. WOW it is really nice and you are right i can hear so much separation. I can hear ever detail but so smooth. I can hear all of the different instruments. I can even hear the slides of the fingers on the strings and so life like. Oh did I say I am a Conrad Johnson fan. Truthfully I was not a big fan of the gold look. After hearing what this gear can do I really like the looks of it. I bet the newer gear is simply unreal.

Super Moderator

As a youngster there were two brands that I loved to look at and listen to in the stereo store. McIntosh and Conrad Johnson.

I’m glad you are loving the gear.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I believe the MV60 was the next model after the MV55. The MV60 was really good though, one review said it was better than the Premier 11 by comparison. The MV60 used EL34's for the great midrange, the MV60se used 6550's which gave up a bit of the sweetness for better bass slam.

Anyway, the MV60 is a stereo amp. I bought a 2nd one, then shipped both back to CJ who converted them to mono for me. Very reasonable I must say.

If they still offer that service you could do the same with your 55. You'd just have to find another 55. CJ was very good with making sure each amp had similar specs. They had to replace a couple miner things to make the amps match.

I kept the cages off my amps, my brother used to say I had a Frankstein stereo, referencing all the glowing tubes.

Joe, it would be interesting to hear CJ and ARC together. CJ sounded to me to have a nice dark background, where ARC has this sort of white background. Would they cancel, one be dominate.....

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Super Moderator

Interesting about ARC and CJ. One thing I’d be concerned about would be mixing balanced with single ended. Some say it doesn’t matter but from my experience and that of friends, it really does make a difference. Some pieces need balanced and some are fine single ended.

I do think you are right about the CJ taming and making the most of the ARC amp. I definitely think the new Ref 160m is better than previous amps so that would be my choice to pair with the GAT2.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    I believe the MV60 was the next model after the MV55. The MV60 was really good though, one review said it was better than the Premier 11 by comparison. The MV60 used EL34's for the great midrange, the MV60se used 6550's which gave up a bit of the sweetness for better bass slam.

Anyway, the MV60 is a stereo amp. I bought a 2nd one, then shipped both back to CJ who converted them to mono for me. Very reasonable I must say.

If they still offer that service you could do the same with your 55. You'd just have to find another 55. CJ was very good with making sure each amp had similar specs. They had to replace a couple miner things to make the amps match.

I kept the cages off my amps, my brother used to say I had a Frankstein stereo, referencing all the glowing tubes.

Joe, it would be interesting to hear CJ and ARC together. CJ sounded to me to have a nice dark background, where ARC has this sort of white background. Would they cancel, one be dominate.....
    Mr Peabody that makes sense now. I was looking last night and saw the MV60 as a single amp. McCormack will do that also. Is it pretty costly to do that. I bet those were some great sounding amps. I really in the small room I am in have plenty of power. I see you are in St Louis right up the road. I always look at your area Craigslist lots of audio guys up there.

It has been several years but I think it was only $150.00 per amp, I can't remember if I had to pay shipping both ways.

I haven't been to CL in a while. Normally you wade through too much crap to find anything of interest.

We have a group Gateway Audio Society on Audio Circle if interested. There is a "Flea Market" thread where items are sold. Many of the group are really into vintage gear.

Mr Peabody that makes sense now. I was looking last night and saw the MV60 as a single amp. McCormack will do that also. Is it pretty costly to do that. I bet those were some great sounding amps. I really in the small room I am in have plenty of power. I see you are in St Louis right up the road. I always look at your area Craigslist lots of audio guys up there.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    It has been several years but I think it was only $150.00 per amp, I can't remember if I had to pay shipping both ways.

I haven't been to CL in a while. Normally you wade through too much crap to find anything of interest.

We have a group Gateway Audio Society on Audio Circle if interested. There is a "Flea Market" thread where items are sold. Many of the group are really into vintage gear.
    Thanks for the info I will check it out. I just need to figure out how to post with no quote above. That price sounds really good on that kind of work.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Small typo in the thread's title...simple observation.
    _____

~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

Audioshark

Re: Really liking the Conrad Johnson

Fixed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

NorthStar that is a good one. I have been to Vancouver back in 1986. I went up there to lift against Team Canada in Powerlifting. It was such a beautiful place.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Cool Mike; Conrad sounds much better than Conard.
    _____

Hi Vintage, Vancouver is not too bad ...
    https://www.straight.com/news/121465...ty-life-survey

We can do better; improve the air quality, planting more trees, reconnect the land with our ancestors, protect it with our heart and soul, eradicate any negative influence from the outside in times of chaos, play the music of eternal bliss...Classical, Blues, Jazz, New Age, Tango, Flamenco, Gypsy, International, Africa, French, Opera, Chamber, Piano, Saxophone, Cello, Acoustic bass, Drums of rhythm, Violins, Alto Flutes, Trumpets, Trombones, Accordions and Harps.
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

Smile Re: Really liking the Conrad Johnson

"FIXED"

Bill will be pleased, thank you.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Really liking the Conrad Johnson