Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

National Geographic Channel - Free Solo

Alex Honnold free solos El Capitan.

Trailer:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nF-7H5Dk26E

How he did it:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6iM6M_7wBMc

Free Solo is an extremely impressive film. The photography was simply brilliant. Alex Honnold is the world’s best alpine rock climber and to watch him cruise Freerider on El Cap was amazing. I’ve been a climber for 25 years but I can only imagine what it would be like to climb at his level. I hope he doesn’t push the envelope too far after seeing what happened to Ueli Steck. I’ve climbed quite a bit of alpine rock in the Bugaboos, Tetons, Canadian Rockies and the Alps. Watching Alex makes me want to climb something in Yosemite, about five times easier of course!

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Re: National Geographic Channel - Free Solo

Ken,
    I watched this last night. My hands are still sweaty! An amazing mental and physical achievement...I like the glimpse into why he does this. It was tough to watch his friends film him.

Dave
    Speaker: Rockport Avior & Mira, B&W 803 D
    Amp: Nagra HD Monos, McIntosh Mc303 & 601
    Pre: Nagra HD pre
    Source: Esoteric K-01X & G-01, Aurender W20
    Cable: Transparent Ref Gen 5 SC & Ref XL PC
    Grounding: Tripoint Elite, Thor SE, Emperor Mkii

Now go watch jimmy chin first film meru just as riveting and enjoyable
    Nick

Main system :TAD CR1 speakers, Viola Labs Symphony amp,Pass XP-20 preamp., MSB Discrete DAC with twin power supplies and V2 Renderer module, Gigafoil V4 inline ethernet filter with uptone LPS-1 power supply with Ghent audio Gotham 2.1mm to 2.5mm cable and AG diamond ethernet cable, Sonicorbitor Roon Audiophile 6 TB network server-player , MG Audio Design Planus III jumpers & speaker cables, Zitron Cobra power cords, Shunyata Hydra AV, and acoustic zen absolute copper IC,. Room treatment ASC tower traps, Vicoustic absorber premium cinema wall and ceiling panels, and MSR acoustic trifusser side wall panel

Can't wait to see this and Meru.

We saw a National Geographic talk/video two weeks ago with Hilaree Nelson about here Hkakbo Razi expedition (and failure)- she's crazy!

https://events.nationalgeographic.co...hilaree-nelson
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Both Free Solo (it won Best Documentary Feature at the 2019 Academy Awards) and Meru are great. I highly recommend them both !
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    Both Free Solo (it won Best Documentary Feature at the 2019 Academy Awards) and Meru are great. I highly recommend them both !
    Hi Adam,

From one mountaineer to another, how do you feel about degree of risk Alex took on this climb and free soloing in general?

Ken
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

thanks for the heads-up -- great stuff to watch. i also enjoyed meru.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    ...how do you feel about degree of risk Alex took on this climb and free soloing in general?
    the degree of risk seems commensurate with alex's abilites -- hopefully, however, this does not inspire less accomplished climbers to push their limits too far.

...as for me, i will stick to frozen waterfalls AND ropes.
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | almarro a318b + air tight atc-5 (phono) | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

Quote Originally Posted by aKnyght View Post
    thanks for the heads-up -- great stuff to watch. i also enjoyed meru.

the degree of risk seems commensurate with alex's abilites -- hopefully, however, this does not inspire less accomplished climbers to push their limits too far.

...as for me, i will stick to frozen waterfalls AND ropes.
    I would say the degree of difficulty of free climbing Freerider on El Capitan is commensurate with Alex’s abilities. There is no level of ability commensurate with the risk of free soloing Freerider because if you fall you die. This level of risk will eventually catch up with anybody. It caught up with Ueli and he was the best.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    There is no level of ability commensurate with the risk of free soloing Freerider because if you fall you die. This level of risk will eventually catch up with anybody. It caught up with Ueli and he was the best.
    agreed ...with the caveat that there is also no level of ability commensurate with the risks presented by objective dangers: avalanche, crevasse, rockfall, sudden weather change...
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | almarro a318b + air tight atc-5 (phono) | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

I finally got to watch this last night. WOW, just WOW. I don't climb and probably couldn't if I tried because my big toes are not further out than the rest of them. I noticed the size and strength of his big toes during the sprained ankle segment. Basically he supports all his weight and balance off of only 2 toes.

Great film and filming.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

I missed this thread from March. I've seen both Free Solo and Meru, plus Mountain and several others...my kind of outdoors documentaries.

Free Solo, for people who haven't seen it, I too highly recommend it, even if you're not into climbing of any sort.

~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Bonus: Free Solo 360° clip (just move your finger on the video picture in any direction) ...

~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

You’ve inspired me, Bob. I’m actually in the Climbing Gym right now. Just did a decent overhanging route.

Ken

I couldn't even make it through the trailer. The pucker factor was overwhelming for me.
    Experiencing heights or viewing them never bothered me until i reached my 40's. Now in my mid 60's it hasn't gone away.

I clearly remember when I realized something inside me had changed. My wife and I were hiking in either Zion or Yosemite NP. We were on a rock trail a couple of feet wide with a vertical face on my left and a 800-1000' drop to my right. There was even a chain on the wall in places to hang on to. My wife was ahead of me and the trail descended in an arc and she disappeared on the trail. I remember so clearly I just stood there staring unable to take a step.
    After a few minutes my wife's head appeared coming back up the trail and said are you coming. I starred at her and said, nope, i'll wait here if you want to go farther.
    It was a very strange feeling. I don't think it was especially dangerous but something about seeing her disappear and the drop-off on the right shut down something in my brain.

I am respectful and amazed at those of you that climb.

Maybe a couple of stiff drinks and I will give the video a try again.
    Synology 1019D+ - SGC Sonictransporter I9 w Roon/HQ Player- UltraRendu- PBD Stream IF to Playback Designs MPS5 via fiber optic - ARC 40th Anniversary Pre - ARC 610 T's - Martin Logan CLX's - 4 Martin Logan Depth i Subs - Shunyata Hydra, DIY PCOCC interconnects, speaker cables and power cords with Furutech terminations. Blue Jeans CAT 6's. Acoustically treated room with one permanent chair.

I watched Meru last night. Another awesome and intense movie. I can't imagine hanging off the side if a mountain in a tiny tent for 4 days in a storm. Thanks for that rec!
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

National Geographic Channel - Free Solo