Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: Schiit Freya

Schiit Freya

Now that I have had the Freya for a while and believe it is breaking in and I thought this might be a good time to dig a little deeper. I have done some comparisons; different tubes, balanced versus unbalanced cabling, running straight from my DAC to the amplifiers versus going through the pre-amp, solid state amps versus the SET amplifiers, etc.

Running the Freya in either passive or FET buffer was not nearly as good as the tube output when used with the SET amplifiers. However, both passive and FET worked very well with either of the T+A or McIntosh amplifiers. I still prefer the tube output with any of the three amplifiers though, with a caveat.

The Freya seems to be very good at tube rolling, but it is also very sensitive to certain tubes. Maybe this is the trade off for how inexpensive it is. It is very much dependent on tubes. The standard tubes that come with it work well, but are a little noisy. The same with certain NOS tubes like a later generation Sylvania. The RCA "Grey Glass" are particularly noisy for example. Matched with very good NOS tubes and it shines. Having a very quite tube in the Voltage Gain Stage is a must and having a great sounding NOS tube in the Output Stage really seems to make a huge difference. I have found that the early 1950's Sylvania "Chrome Dome" work very well in the Gain Stage and the CBS 5692 "Brown Base" tubes work fantastic in the Output Stage. With these the pre-amp shines and is as black of back ground as I have heard in any pre-amp... absolutely quite in every way!

Another thing I have noticed is that the Freya sounds much better using Balanced cables. I have directly compared RCA cables coming from my DAC with XLR cables and it was a fairly big difference. The RCA cables were a much higher level cable however I felt the balanced cables sounded much better. I performed the exact same test with the outputs to the SET monoblocks. Again, the XLR was much better. In this case the XLR were a better cable then the RCA. In my opinion using balanced connections seemed to make a big difference. I have had other "Fully Balanced" pre-amplifiers that the difference in XLR versus RCA cables was fairly minimal. Maybe this is another trade off with this piece being so inexpensive.

I also compared going straight from the T+A DAC to the amplifiers versus using the pre-amp in line. The T+A is rated to have a very good pre-amp section and an excellent volume control. However I felt the system sounded quite a bit better when being controlled by the Schiit versus going direct from the DAC.

Other personal notes and opinions;
    • The unit does get fairly hot, but not excessively so. I do believe that it gets hotter than any other pre-amplifier that I have used. Not terrible but worth mentioning.
    • I like the little remote, it is very functional and has a nice feel in my view. Nice metal casing, but some people have complained about the little buttons. I like them ...
    • Some people complain about the clicking noise when changing any of the controls, including volume. This does not bother me at all and actually I like it because it is very nice feedback.
    • I also love the 128 relay volume control; very fine control indeed.
    • Being thin means that the connectors in the back are close with very little room. Not a terrible issue but one that you may want to consider.
    • I do not like that the tubes are recessed in the top of the case. This limits using some tubes, for example the "Chrome Domes" barely fit through the hole, but they work fine. It was just a very tight fit getting them in. The Black Treasures can not be used since their oversize porcelain base is to large. This is too bad since I really wanted to try them .
    • I like the way that the unit always comes on at the volume that is set on the volume knob, not where ever you had it changed to with the remote.
    • Some people have complained about the small or useless labels on the front of the unit. It does not bother me at all... I mean, after ten minutes with the unit it is obvious how everything works and what every light and control are.
    • I hear a very slight low level sound when the mute in engaged. Not really an issue for me but I could see some people complaining.

So the bottom line, to really see what this very inexpensive pre-amplifier can do requires using some good NOS tubes. In my view forget whatever Schiit offers. With some nice NOS tubes this inexpensive pre-amp can be magic.

Using solid quality XLR cables wherever and whenever possible; use good NOS tubes (good ones in my view, like those mentioned above) and this pre-amp can become an amazing sounding audiophile piece. I truly believe the biggest trade off with it being inexpensive, ok cheap, is that it is picky, not as forgiving. But with the right match it is truly amazing. At this point, with the Schiit, my system has never sounded so good. I have had a lot more expensive pre-amps but I do not believe any better sounding one. I say this knowing full well that I have not been able to directly compare it against others that I have had such as the ARC LS-17se or W4S STP-SE.

It is startling quite in my system which I do not expect with a tube pre-amp and SET mono block amplifiers. Separation and sound stage is to die for, as good as I have heard anywhere. Base is deep and smooth, but in no way boomy. I have heard that this is a weak point with tube gear, but not with this combo. Very airy and open sounding; it draws me in and I get more involved with the music then I ever have in the past. It really enhances what SET amps are all about.

All in all I cannot imagine a better pre-amplifier without going many times the price. Honestly I feel it is rather shocking. At some point I may replace it; not because I think I am going to get remarkably better performance, but more so because having a $699 pre-amp powering the rest of my system might just seem weird . Yes, it is that good in my view... but in the long run it may not give me the warm and fuzzies I get from say, an Audio Research or a McIntosh, for example!
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Re: Schiit Freya

For the money, it is an amazing little pre. I like mine.

thanks so much randy for posting this . i have been using the freya for some months . in tube form and more recently passive. its a super thing with tremendous transparency . the remote is rather plasticky but works well . the sense of realism is very good .

P1060454 by , on Flickr
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

If you order the remote they have listed for sale on their site you get a much nicer remote.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    thanks so much randy for posting this . i have been using the freya for some months . in tube form and more recently passive. its a super thing with tremendous transparency . the remote is rather plasticky but works well . the sense of realism is very good .

P1060454 by , on Flickr
    Marty

Aurender N20 / SonicTransporter i7 / Roon
    MSB Premier
    Constellation Inspiration Preamp 1.0 / Mono 1.0
    Dynaudio Confidence 50 / SVS SB13 Ultra
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

The nicer remote is now included. I like the feel of it. Nothing special but definitely a decent remote!
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Thanks to OP for the detailed post. What had put me off buying a Freya were the reports of noisy tubes etc.
    Debating whether to partner the Freya with Emotiva PA-1 monoblocks, seeing as both have balanced XLR. Cd be a killer combo

My new freya plus arrives tommorrow. looks like there is some solid upgrades from original fraya. cant wait to pair it this weekened with my Mac MC-302 and 7ft. line arrays at camp. Let you know.....

Quote Originally Posted by WillinBangkok View Post
    Thanks to OP for the detailed post. What had put me off buying a Freya were the reports of noisy tubes etc.
    Debating whether to partner the Freya with Emotiva PA-1 monoblocks, seeing as both have balanced XLR. Cd be a killer combo
    My new freya plus arrives tommorrow. word has its much quieter than old freya .let you know this weekened.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum jimmyc, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

As a follow up. The Freya was a very nice pre-amp, especially for the price. Wonderful piece for someone trying to get into better gear at a budget. I had an opportunity of getting a world class reasonably priced pre-amp (that I have wanted for a while now) so I took it. Since I am at the stage where I can not really keep multiple pieces I had to move the Freya. But I still do recommend it for people looking for a nice pre on a budget!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Now that I have had the Freya for a while and believe it is breaking in and I thought this might be a good time to dig a little deeper. I have done some comparisons; different tubes, balanced versus unbalanced cabling, running straight from my DAC to the amplifiers versus going through the pre-amp, solid state amps versus the SET amplifiers, etc.

Running the Freya in either passive or FET buffer was not nearly as good as the tube output when used with the SET amplifiers. However, both passive and FET worked very well with either of the T+A or McIntosh amplifiers. I still prefer the tube output with any of the three amplifiers though, with a caveat.

The Freya seems to be very good at tube rolling, but it is also very sensitive to certain tubes. Maybe this is the trade off for how inexpensive it is. It is very much dependent on tubes. The standard tubes that come with it work well, but are a little noisy. The same with certain NOS tubes like a later generation Sylvania. The RCA "Grey Glass" are particularly noisy for example. Matched with very good NOS tubes and it shines. Having a very quite tube in the Voltage Gain Stage is a must and having a great sounding NOS tube in the Output Stage really seems to make a huge difference. I have found that the early 1950's Sylvania "Chrome Dome" work very well in the Gain Stage and the CBS 5692 "Brown Base" tubes work fantastic in the Output Stage. With these the pre-amp shines and is as black of back ground as I have heard in any pre-amp... absolutely quite in every way!

Another thing I have noticed is that the Freya sounds much better using Balanced cables. I have directly compared RCA cables coming from my DAC with XLR cables and it was a fairly big difference. The RCA cables were a much higher level cable however I felt the balanced cables sounded much better. I performed the exact same test with the outputs to the SET monoblocks. Again, the XLR was much better. In this case the XLR were a better cable then the RCA. In my opinion using balanced connections seemed to make a big difference. I have had other "Fully Balanced" pre-amplifiers that the difference in XLR versus RCA cables was fairly minimal. Maybe this is another trade off with this piece being so inexpensive.

I also compared going straight from the T+A DAC to the amplifiers versus using the pre-amp in line. The T+A is rated to have a very good pre-amp section and an excellent volume control. However I felt the system sounded quite a bit better when being controlled by the Schiit versus going direct from the DAC.

Other personal notes and opinions;
    • The unit does get fairly hot, but not excessively so. I do believe that it gets hotter than any other pre-amplifier that I have used. Not terrible but worth mentioning.
    • I like the little remote, it is very functional and has a nice feel in my view. Nice metal casing, but some people have complained about the little buttons. I like them ...
    • Some people complain about the clicking noise when changing any of the controls, including volume. This does not bother me at all and actually I like it because it is very nice feedback.
    • I also love the 128 relay volume control; very fine control indeed.
    • Being thin means that the connectors in the back are close with very little room. Not a terrible issue but one that you may want to consider.
    • I do not like that the tubes are recessed in the top of the case. This limits using some tubes, for example the "Chrome Domes" barely fit through the hole, but they work fine. It was just a very tight fit getting them in. The Black Treasures can not be used since their oversize porcelain base is to large. This is too bad since I really wanted to try them .
    • I like the way that the unit always comes on at the volume that is set on the volume knob, not where ever you had it changed to with the remote.
    • Some people have complained about the small or useless labels on the front of the unit. It does not bother me at all... I mean, after ten minutes with the unit it is obvious how everything works and what every light and control are.
    • I hear a very slight low level sound when the mute in engaged. Not really an issue for me but I could see some people complaining.

So the bottom line, to really see what this very inexpensive pre-amplifier can do requires using some good NOS tubes. In my view forget whatever Schiit offers. With some nice NOS tubes this inexpensive pre-amp can be magic.

Using solid quality XLR cables wherever and whenever possible; use good NOS tubes (good ones in my view, like those mentioned above) and this pre-amp can become an amazing sounding audiophile piece. I truly believe the biggest trade off with it being inexpensive, ok cheap, is that it is picky, not as forgiving. But with the right match it is truly amazing. At this point, with the Schiit, my system has never sounded so good. I have had a lot more expensive pre-amps but I do not believe any better sounding one. I say this knowing full well that I have not been able to directly compare it against others that I have had such as the ARC LS-17se or W4S STP-SE.

It is startling quite in my system which I do not expect with a tube pre-amp and SET mono block amplifiers. Separation and sound stage is to die for, as good as I have heard anywhere. Base is deep and smooth, but in no way boomy. I have heard that this is a weak point with tube gear, but not with this combo. Very airy and open sounding; it draws me in and I get more involved with the music then I ever have in the past. It really enhances what SET amps are all about.

All in all I cannot imagine a better pre-amplifier without going many times the price. Honestly I feel it is rather shocking. At some point I may replace it; not because I think I am going to get remarkably better performance, but more so because having a $699 pre-amp powering the rest of my system might just seem weird . Yes, it is that good in my view... but in the long run it may not give me the warm and fuzzies I get from say, an Audio Research or a McIntosh, for example!
    Great info, Randy. Is this the original Freya preamp or the new Freya+ specification?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyc View Post
    My new freya plus arrives tommorrow. looks like there is some solid upgrades from original fraya. cant wait to pair it this weekened with my Mac MC-302 and 7ft. line arrays at camp. Let you know.....
    Just got my new schitt freya plus and heres my initial impressions. First off, very well packed. very heavy cardboard container with foam inserts. build quality is first rate for price. Especially nice are high quality tube sockets. tubes fit nicely and have a solid fit.new style aluminum remote feels solid and has only basic controls, volume, buffer mode, and input. right now. i am using only my edifer pc speakers and lg V3o phone for audio, better audio report when i get to my camp and hook it to my mac mc-302 and line arrays. however, no noise or hiss whatsoever.even when i tap on cabinet there is 0 noise. seems to function perfect. None of problems i saw in original freya reviews. seems to sound good with this basic setup. Better review this weekend when at camp.

thanks for update , I use the original one in passive form only and its pretty good but glad if they can solve the valve issue bit
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

Dead quiet so far. Even tapping on cabinet produces no noise. Will provide more complete review when I bring to my camp this weekend.
    Thanks, jimmyc

Well, back from camp and was very impressed by Freya plus. Best was 0 tube noise, not even when I knuckle rapped the chassis. Very quiet. Blown away by improvement in sound from previous top of line Yamaha surround preamp valued at $3000. Reminds me of time I was Cary audio dealer. Very musical unit. I have about 30 hours on tung sol tubes. Many other refinements including nice aluminum remote control, tubes shut off when switched out of tube mode. Nice . Especially like new motorized volume control, not only does it operate smoothly but it tracks remote volume control. Very nice. Unit gets hot but that’s to be expected with tubes mounted so close to chassis. All in all, bargain for $900. Seems to run well hooked up balanced to my Mac MC302. Plenty of drive. Great build quality for price, has nice feel. Seems to be substantial improvement from original Freya. Very happy so far. Will give more complete review when fully broken in.

Hi jimmy, i have a new freya+ too had buzz/hum issue but got it worked out, dead quiet now, i rolled tubes however i think the new tungsol tubes sound pretty good, just too much like jfet so i rolled to black treasures cv181-z tubes, in the input side, freya+ ran really hot , i use laptop processor fans to suck out that venom!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator

Welcome
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by 1010 View Post
    Hi jimmy, i have a new freya+ too had buzz/hum issue but got it worked out, dead quiet now, i rolled tubes however i think the new tungsol tubes sound pretty good, just too much like jfet so i rolled to black treasures cv181-z tubes, in the input side, freya+ ran really hot , i use laptop processor fans to suck out that venom!
    How did you get Black Treasures through the top of the case? When I had a Freya (I believe the older generation) there was no way I could have used my Black Treasures. The Freya was a darn good pre-amp, especially for the price.

I did sell mine to get the Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2. The Freya is a great value, the W4S is an entire other league. I do feel that a pre-amp is one of the most important components.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Hello guys! First time poster here. I received my Freya + last week. It’s really wonderful in tube mode. Probably have over 50 hours on it listening to my digital rig; Roon through HQPlayer into RME ADI-2 DAC FS into the Freya + into my Focal Solo 6 be speakers. Also feeding a Denon DP300F turntable with DL-110 cartridge into Cambridge 651P preamp in MC mode into the Freya + analog in.
    I’m a first time tuber. I really love the sound of the tubes but I’m wondering about different tubes tonality wise. These stock tubes are just a tad trebly on the high end. I don’t wanna break the bank but wonder if there’s a set of tubes that could tone down the high end treble. Not much, just a tad as I’m really digging the sound overall.
    Thanks guys and appreciate any input.
    Spence

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Spence, thank you for joining.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thanks! Glad to be here.

Atta Boy to schitt audio/ my new freya plus all of a sudden would not switch into tube mode after months of use. so i brought it home from my camp and retested with same results. Then i hadv to get the dreaded R.A. which was quick and painless and sent her out. communication was excellent from them until i was informed they could not recreate the problem. i figured "im gonna get it back and its gonna happen again" with 5 days shipping from New York. i then got a email they where going to replace the main pc board. The proper thing to do! I am much more confident of success with repair now!
    jimmyc

Sorry you had issues with your Freya. The short time I had one I enjoyed it. I just had the opportunity to get a Stage 2.... couldn't pass up on this world class pre-Amp!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Schiit Freya