MSB Pro USB - Page 4
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: MSB Pro USB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MSB Pro USB

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Iíve had the MSB ProUSB in the store for over a week now. This one was not a prototype, but rather a completed version and one which I purchased.

How does it compare? Like everything it comes down to personal preference. However, I thought it best to have a few customers over for the shootout.

We wanted to compare:

1. MSB Roon Renderer (from wall w/AQ Diamond Ethernet to Renderer)
    2. MSB Roon Renderer (from wall with CAT6 to GigaFoil/Keces P3 to Renderer)
    3. MSB ProUSB (from wall w/AQ Diamond Ethernet to Aurender, AQ Diamond USB to ProUSB, ProUSB via ProISL to ProISL module in the DAC)
    4. MSB ProUSB (from wall with CAT6 cable to GigaFoil/Keces P3 to AQ Diamond Ethernet to Aurender, AQ Diamond USB to ProUSB, ProUSB via ProISL to ProISL module in the DAC).
    5. MSB ProUSB (from wall w/AQ Diamond Ethernet to Innous Statement - on demo/loan, AQ Diamond USB to ProUSB, ProUSB via ProISL to ProISL module in the DAC).
    6. MSB ProUSB (from wall with CAT6 cable to GigaFoil/Keces P3 to AQ Diamond Ethernet to Innous Statement, AQ Diamond USB to ProUSB, ProUSB via ProISL to ProISL module in the DAC).
    7. MSB ProUSB (from wall w/AQ Diamond Ethernet to Roon Nucleus Plus with Keces P8, AQ Diamond USB to ProUSB, ProUSB via ProISL to ProISL module in the DAC).
    8. MSB ProUSB (from wall with CAT6 cable to GigaFoil/Keces P3 to AQ Diamond Ethernet to Roon Nucleus Plus with Keces P8, AQ Diamond USB to ProUSB, ProUSB via ProISL to ProISL module in the DAC).

At all times, the cables were:

- AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet
    - Cheapo Cat 6 (when feeding the GigaFoil)
    - AudioQuest Diamond USB
    - Analysis Plus Power Cables on the MSB Select II DAC
    - AQ Hurricane Source Cables on the various Music Server Transports.

Speakers for the Testing:

B&W 800D3ís with a pair of DB1D subs
    Luxman M900u Monos
    Luxman C900u Preamp
    AQ Speaker Cables and ICís

- We played an assortment of redbook, high res and DSD64, 256 and 512 files. No MQA as we were playing off the NAS at all times.

Phew!

Findings:

- We found the AQ Diamond with GigaFoil/Keces direct to the MSB Roon Renderer to be the most transparent, with the GigaFoil/Keces taking out some of the grunge in the upper registers.

- The ProUSB nullified the benefits of the GigaFoil/Keces P3. We could hear a big difference in configuration #1/#2, but not once we introduced the ProUSB (which converts USB to Fiber Optic - ProISL).

- However, it was unanimous that the #5 configuration sounded best overall, but finished second due to the reasons noted below. The Innous Statement had meat on the bones, without any noticeable loss in transparency, and sounded very analog. HOWEVER, two notes:

- The Roon Nucleus Plus in the #7 configuration was incredibly close to the Innous Statement - as in 99 vs 100. The Roon Nucleus Plus allows full NATIVE DSD and DSD512. This gave it the edge for our winner in the shootout.

- the Innous Statement is NOT capable of NATIVE DSD on any MSB DAC (via the ProUSB) and it DOES NOT play DSD256 or above on any DAC (limited to DSD128). This may not matter to some, but the NATIVE vs DoP was a big deciding factor, plus we couldnít play our DSD512 files. If these things arenít important to you, than the Innous is a worth considering. But in our configuration, it was so close to the $2498 Roon Nucleus Plus, that it was literally indistinguishable when paired with the ProUSB. I have no doubt it is superior on other DACís feeding them straight via USB, but for our tests - going into the great equalizer - the ProUSB, it was too close to call.

Therefore, for all the reasons mentioned above, the #7 configuration (MSB ProUSB (from wall w/AQ Diamond Ethernet to Roon Nucleus Plus with Keces P8, AQ Diamond USB to ProUSB, ProUSB via ProISL to ProISL module in the DAC) was the overall winner.

NOTE: My Lumin U1 was not available for this test. I will be bringing it in and testing against the Roon Nucleus + shortly.
    Mike,

Thanks for a comprehensive review. I did not know about that limitation of the Innuos Statement Server. They went to such pains to tweak it (even I understand a customized motherboard), so this player/software limitation is a shame. I'm going to build my own new server with a high-end, 6-rail LPS, a faster processor (I think they use a Pentium), and whatever software I want.
    Source: Fanless Ubuntu file server, dual SSDs, bridged Ethernet w/JCAT Net card & JS-2 LPS
    DAC: MSB Select II w/Femto 33 & Renderer V2
    Amps: D'Agostino M400
    Speakers: Wilson Alexia 2
    Cable: Shunyata Sigma
    Power: Shunyata Triton V3

Post Thanks / Like

Iíve had the MSB ProUSB in the store for over a week now. This one was not a prototype, but rather a completed version and one which I purchased.
    Thatís a lot of work all the way around, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R with 4point 9 arm & Kuzma 40 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan DíAgostino Momentum Pre Amp and Monos | Boulder Phono 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Valhalla 2/Odin: power, interconnects & speaker | Ansuz: C2 power & interconnect | Audioquest Diamond RJ45ís
    Power: Nordost QRT series | Keces P3 & P8 | Furutech GTX D NSF package | Dedicated 20 amp with Surge Guard | ADD POWR series
    Other: HRS M3X | Stillpoints Ultra 6, SS & Mini | Nordost Sort Cones TC & BC | AQ Vox SE switch | Gigafoil v4 | Vicoustics | Audio Desk Systeme - Glšss

3. Thanks Mike thanked for this post
    Likes Mike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

question on the msb pro ISL input module:

is this module compatible with standard fiber networks? ...or, is there something proprietary which requires a special transceiver at the sending end?

couldn't find any further info on the msb website.
    kanjiroba yak + roon rock > t+a dac 8 dsd > almarro a318b > viking acoustics berlin r mk-ii | alp-tone audio alp.wE cables

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aKnyght View Post
    question on the msb pro ISL input module:

is this module compatible with standard fiber networks? ...or, is there something proprietary which requires a special transceiver at the sending end?

couldn't find any further info on the msb website.
    Good question! I wondered the same thing and asked them. It is indeed proprietary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones & Loudspeakers, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, Keces Power Supplies, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, SRA, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Post Thanks / Like

Good question! I wondered the same thing and asked them. It is indeed proprietary.
    thanks!!...

just going to assume then it is not possible to generate the pro ISL optical signal with any hardware other than another msb pro ISL module or an msb pro adapter
    kanjiroba yak + roon rock > t+a dac 8 dsd > almarro a318b > viking acoustics berlin r mk-ii | alp-tone audio alp.wE cables

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Pro USB users. I own the Select DAC and use the Renderer Version 2 with the Roon Nucleus Plus. Please convince me why I should invest in the Pro USB module, especially when the Roon volume control (On the IPad) doesn’t work with it.
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with
    Two Mono Powerbases, Femto 33 Clock,
    Renderer V2 and Roon Nucleus Plus
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: AudioQuest Niagara 7000

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    Hello Pro USB users. I own the Select DAC and use the Renderer Version 2 with the Roon Nucleus Plus. Please convince me why I should invest in the Pro USB module, especially when the Roon volume control (On the IPad) doesn’t work with it.
    If the Roon volume control (which you enjoy now with the Renderer) is important to you, than bypass the PROUSB. If you don't mind using the S2's remote, than the ProUSB (after 5 days of break in), has a fuller, smoother sound than the Roon Renderer module. HOWEVER, if you are after ultimate transparency, the Renderer, IMO, still wins. The ProUSB sounds like someone put one single 12AX7 tube in the mix. It has that kind of affect on the sound. Subtle, but noticeable.

I have to say, by playing around with the new Shunyata Sigma Ethernet cable, you can also change the sound of the Roon Renderer too to more closely match the ProUSB.

Again, we are talking about VERY subtle differences here.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones & Loudspeakers, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, Keces Power Supplies, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, SRA, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

9. Thanks Alpinist thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If the Roon volume control (which you enjoy now with the Renderer) is important to you, than bypass the PROUSB. If you don't mind using the S2's remote, than the ProUSB (after 5 days of break in), has a fuller, smoother sound than the Roon Renderer module. HOWEVER, if you are after ultimate transparency, the Renderer, IMO, still wins. The ProUSB sounds like someone put one single 12AX7 tube in the mix. It has that kind of affect on the sound. Subtle, but noticeable.

I have to say, by playing around with the new Shunyata Sigma Ethernet cable, you can also change the sound of the Roon Renderer too to more closely match the ProUSB.

Again, we are talking about VERY subtle differences here.
    Renderer with or without Gigafoil?

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsrule View Post
    Renderer with or without Gigafoil?
    With definitely on my end. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

OK I just changed from PRO USB back to renderer w/Gigafoil....I'll let things settle/warm up for awhile before listening

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast