MSB Pro USB - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MSB Pro USB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MSB Pro USB

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I had a full day of testing yesterday. In 65% of the songs, we preferred the Roon Renderer (with GigaFoil/Keces). In 35% of the songs we preferred the Pro USB (with GigaFoil/Keces feeding either the Nucleus + or the Aurender N10). We tried multiple USB cables as well: Curious, WW Platinum 7, Synergistic Research (some new top of the line Ted gave me) and a few others.

It’s a great product for those who still want to use a USB player in their system and may not necessarily like Roon. But in my opinion, it introduces the characteristic of three different cable types into the mix: Ethernet, Fiber, USB. Backgrounds did sound blacker with the Pro USB. I think. The issue was that they were both so close in sound, there cannot be a clear cut winner. Each had very subtle characteristics and benefits.

It is certainly on par with the Roon Renderer. For the store, I will be sticking with the Roon Renderer for simplicity sake.

Personally, I would love to see a Ethernet to Pro ISL box (even if it would require power). Just my two cents.

But in the end, it’s another great product from MSB and further lending to the benefits of a modular system.
    Thanks Mike for the review. I will be sticking with the MSB Renderer V2. I agree that the Renderer V3 would also benefit from going outboard to a specially designed Pro ISL Input Module that has a DC power output to the Renderer V3. I would purchase this even though it would reduce the utility of my GigaFoilv4 Ethernet Filter.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with
    Two Mono Powerbases, Femto 33 Clock,
    Renderer V2 and Roon Nucleus Plus
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: AudioQuest Niagara 7000

Post Thanks / Like

M

Confused here. Did u try a standard ethernet cable from your network into the Nucleus+ and then USB out thru the PRO USB connection into the SII DAC?

If not could u try that please?

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsrule View Post
    M

Confused here. Did u try a standard ethernet cable from your network into the Nucleus+ and then USB out thru the PRO USB connection into the SII DAC?

If not could u try that please?
    Yes. Already did. Subtle differences. I started with the plain Jane cable setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, KEF Loudspeakers, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SRA, Stein Music, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Yes. Already did. Subtle differences. I started with the plain Jane cable setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I really have no interest in going back to using a USB cable unless the Pro USB Module blows the Renderer V2 out of the water, which it does not appear to do.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Mike for your findings, which are very interesting!
    Having a well isolated ethernet switch connected with cables one finds satisfying to the MSB renderer seems to be the ticket for now...
    And I agree, ETH to ProISL looks like a winner for the future.
    I will report back in a few months when I get a chance to compare myself.
    All the best, GN

6. Likes Mike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The PRO USB sounds real good to me....

Post Thanks / Like

Hi King,

Which USB cable are you using?

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

A generic one!

10. Thanks Alpinist thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi King,

I am not surprised by your comment, I expected the MSB Pro USB to be excellent. Every MSB digital input module has been outstanding and all are designed in-house. They don’t play follow the leader. That’s why they’re better.

As for me, I will stick with the MSB Renderer V2 until a V3 comes out. Since the addition of the GigaFoilv4 Ethernet Filter, the Keces P3 LPS for the GigaFoilv4, the Keces P8 LPS for the Roon Nucleus Plus, Audience AU24SE Power Cords for each Keces LPS, and AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet Cables for the network, I am getting unprecedented sound quality out of my system. Extraordinary detail, nuance and ease, as well as holographic imaging, all coming from a dead silent background.

I never thought it could could be this great. Thanks again to Mike for the recommendations!

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

What I'm trying to come to grips with is the bass between the PRO USB and GF into V2 renderer.

The GF bass on its own is very enticing but when compared to PRO USB it's bloated, heavy, artificial, like going to most non classical concerts.

On the other hand the PRO USB might be a TOUCH thin. I never played the USB connection games but my instinct tells me a good USB cable might get it perfect....

Also I don't listen loud and the PRO USB is clearer and more focused

13. Thanks Alpinist thanked for this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast