Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

WB ported design and other speakers

I am in the market for a pair of loudspeakers and came across the WB. I will audition the WB in 2 weeks.
    I am wondering if any of you had the chance to listen to any of WB and other comparable speakers from Focal OR Magico. Can you share your experience with me?
    I am also wondering the ported design by WB sounds compared to sealed Magicos. I really want to understand why there is growing trend against the ported design speakers.

Re: WB ported design and other speakers

What you hear with your own ears is all that matters when you are spending that kind of money. All you are going to get by asking these broad questions are answers that are basically owner justification responses. All that matters is the speaker you prefer not what we prefer.

Sealed designs justify the reason for high power and big dollar amps. This is a repeat from the early 80's.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Sanbobo, which Wilson Benesch model(s) are you interested in?
    Speakers: Kroma Thais. Amplifier: Ypsilon Phaethon. Digital: LampizatOr Baltic 3, Lumin U1 Mini. Analog: MoFi Ultradeck, PS Audio Stellar Phono.
    Other: Audio-Technica ART9XI, Ansuz, Vertere, Sablon Audio USB/Ethernet/DC, Paul Hynes, IsoAcoustic, UpTone EtherREGEN.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    What you hear with your own ears is all that matters when you are spending that kind of money. All you are going to get by asking these broad questions are answers that are basically owner justification responses. All that matters is the speaker you prefer not what we prefer.
    I agree 100% with the above statements.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Sealed designs justify the reason for high power and big dollar amps. This is a repeat from the early 80's.
    Sealed designs also known as acoustic suspension speakers started with AR and the original intent was to get more bass out of a smaller enclosure. The side effect of sealing the box was that the sensitivity of the speaker went way down and you did need more power than ported designs.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by VoicesInMyHead View Post
    Sanbobo, which Wilson Benesch model(s) are you interested in?
    Mmmmm good question!
    I am interested in the Act One, Discovery ii and Vector.
    Leaning more toward the Act One or Vector.
    Did not hear any of them yet.

On the other hand, I am also interested in Magico S3 MKII

Thank you for reaching out

Funnily the Discovery II is what I'm kind of dreaming about myself, I find the downward firing bass port very interesting and I'm hopeful about what it can mean for my room and placements. It's a bit on the "too much money" side though. Just as you I haven't heard it, but are very interested in doing so in a near future. They've also just launched the new Precision line which is more on the affordable side, but not as good looking I'm afraid, and probably not able to measure up against it's bigger siblings.

I've also not missed the popularity of Magico's in the USA and on this forum especially, but not seeing anywhere near the same interest here in Europe, maybe that's more due to a logistical or distribution reason than performance though, I don't know. They had the M6's playing at a recent show here in Sweden and of course it sounded very good.
    Speakers: Kroma Thais. Amplifier: Ypsilon Phaethon. Digital: LampizatOr Baltic 3, Lumin U1 Mini. Analog: MoFi Ultradeck, PS Audio Stellar Phono.
    Other: Audio-Technica ART9XI, Ansuz, Vertere, Sablon Audio USB/Ethernet/DC, Paul Hynes, IsoAcoustic, UpTone EtherREGEN.

I find it interesting that the upper models like the Cardinal and Resolution have sealed cabinets.
    On the other hand models like the Act One is ported.

What does that tell us?

To a normal guy with minimal knowledge like me, this tells me that the higher models incorporate better and more expensive technology. Does that mean ported design like Act One is a result of a sacrifice made to lower the price.
    In terms of sound quality, what are we losing? (Act One ported Vs Resolution sealed)

Quote Originally Posted by Sanbobo View Post
    I find it interesting that the upper models like the Cardinal and Resolution have sealed cabinets.
    On the other hand models like the Act One is ported.

What does that tell us?

To a normal guy with minimal knowledge like me, this tells me that the higher models incorporate better and more expensive technology. Does that mean ported design like Act One is a result of a sacrifice made to lower the price.
    In terms of sound quality, what are we losing? (Act One ported Vs Resolution sealed)

Sealed is easier to do and control , takes real know how to get a proper vented design to work cant be done with AI like sealed ...

regards

There has been some good advice given in this thread. The vast majority of what passes as technical discussion in high end audio is just marketing, or to use the 2019 lingo Fake News. The physics behind acoustic suspension box speakers goes back to 50s.

IMHO, WB produces well designed speakers fully competitive with any other manufacturer at a wide variety of price points. WB also uses a variety of enclosure types for bass. The latest SOTA WB speaker the Eminence (I have on order) uses vented isobaric loading for the low bass and sealed isobaric loading for above that.

There are well designed speakers from all technologies on the market. From horns to stats to boxes. Most of us, except Joe, have to just chose one. The key is to find something that works for the types of music you listen to, that works well in your listening room, that works with the electronics you have available, that wife doesn't mind looking at, and most importantly something that you can afford.

If you have specific questions concerning the WB products feel from to PM me ….
    Turntables: Acoustic Signature Invictus Jr. NEO, Grand Prix Monaco V3.0
    Tonearms: Acoustic Signature TA-9000 NEO, Kuzma Safir
    Cartridges: Miyabi Fuuga, Ortofon Century, Murashino Sumile Mono
    Phono Amplifiers: CH Precision P1, Channel D Lino 3.3
    Digital: CH Precision C1.2/D1.5/T1, Innuos Statement Nextgen, Luxman D-10X (Loan)
    Amplifiers: CH Precision L10/M10, Parasound JC1+, Gryphon Diablo 333 (Incoming)
    Speakers : Magnepan 30.7x, Wilson Audio XVX Chronosonic/Subsonics
    Cables: CAD Ground Controls/USB, Cardas Beyond Clear, Gobel Lacorde Statement
    Accessories: Artesania Exoteryc Racks & Damping Plates, Seismion Reactio, Degritter RC, RPG Acoustic Treatments/PSI AVAA, Torus Power/Plixir Elite BAC

Wow, congrats on the Eminence. I listened to them in Munich last year together with some heavy electronics from Ypsilon, I could have stayed in that room all day... A full CH Precision stack is not a bad partner either.

Likewise congrats on the Eminence - I too enjoyed it in Munich but too big a step up for me from the Resolutions.

I spent some time with Magicos when choosing speakers, but not Focals. Where the WB score highly (and would include ACT in this, as have spent time with them, along with Endeavor, as well as Resolutions) is in having a natural flow to the music whereas the Magicos (and other sealed designs) feel as if they need to be driven hard and the music forced out of them. This is not only the ported design, but the very simple electronic cross-overs that WB build. Whilst WB still like quite a bit of power, the result is a great flow of the music out of the speakers, even at lower volumes.
    Other strengths are an ability to disappear into the soundstage as a result of the narrow width, and great coherence across the drivers in terms of tonality.

Weaknesses vs Magicos? Bass has less impact - it's there, but is not as chest-thumping as Magico's esp the larger ones. No surprise that annapolis Raider and I both run a pair of Torus to offset this (they add other advantages too).

Quote Originally Posted by heihei View Post
    Likewise congrats on the Eminence - I too enjoyed it in Munich but too big a step up for me from the Resolutions.

I spent some time with Magicos when choosing speakers, but not Focals. Where the WB score highly (and would include ACT in this, as have spent time with them, along with Endeavor, as well as Resolutions) is in having a natural flow to the music whereas the Magicos (and other sealed designs) feel as if they need to be driven hard and the music forced out of them. This is not only the ported design, but the very simple electronic cross-overs that WB build. Whilst WB still like quite a bit of power, the result is a great flow of the music out of the speakers, even at lower volumes.
    Other strengths are an ability to disappear into the soundstage as a result of the narrow width, and great coherence across the drivers in terms of tonality.

Weaknesses vs Magicos? Bass has less impact - it's there, but is not as chest-thumping as Magico's esp the larger ones. No surprise that annapolis Raider and I both run a pair of Torus to offset this (they add other advantages too).

Glad to know that they outperform the Magico.

It is interesting that you mentioned the low vol level on the WB and how it sounds great with such low vol. This means that they reveal great dynamics, and this is what I am looking for! I am looking for high sense of dynamics with slam.
    I am not concerned about the bass, as I have a pair of subs

IMO Magico full range sealed bass cannot be offset with any subs. Also, if Magico sounds forced, it’s probably because it’s underpowered. The nature of the beast needs high current power and if you feed them with a proper amp, you’ll be rewarded.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

WB ported design and other speakers