WB ported design and other speakers - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB ported design and other speakers

Likewise congrats on the Eminence - I too enjoyed it in Munich but too big a step up for me from the Resolutions.

I spent some time with Magicos when choosing speakers, but not Focals. Where the WB score highly (and would include ACT in this, as have spent time with them, along with Endeavor, as well as Resolutions) is in having a natural flow to the music whereas the Magicos (and other sealed designs) feel as if they need to be driven hard and the music forced out of them. This is not only the ported design, but the very simple electronic cross-overs that WB build. Whilst WB still like quite a bit of power, the result is a great flow of the music out of the speakers, even at lower volumes.
    Other strengths are an ability to disappear into the soundstage as a result of the narrow width, and great coherence across the drivers in terms of tonality.

Weaknesses vs Magicos? Bass has less impact - it's there, but is not as chest-thumping as Magico's esp the larger ones. No surprise that annapolis Raider and I both run a pair of Torus to offset this (they add other advantages too).

2. Likes VoicesInMyHead liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by heihei View Post
    Likewise congrats on the Eminence - I too enjoyed it in Munich but too big a step up for me from the Resolutions.

I spent some time with Magicos when choosing speakers, but not Focals. Where the WB score highly (and would include ACT in this, as have spent time with them, along with Endeavor, as well as Resolutions) is in having a natural flow to the music whereas the Magicos (and other sealed designs) feel as if they need to be driven hard and the music forced out of them. This is not only the ported design, but the very simple electronic cross-overs that WB build. Whilst WB still like quite a bit of power, the result is a great flow of the music out of the speakers, even at lower volumes.
    Other strengths are an ability to disappear into the soundstage as a result of the narrow width, and great coherence across the drivers in terms of tonality.

Weaknesses vs Magicos? Bass has less impact - it's there, but is not as chest-thumping as Magico's esp the larger ones. No surprise that annapolis Raider and I both run a pair of Torus to offset this (they add other advantages too).

Glad to know that they outperform the Magico.

It is interesting that you mentioned the low vol level on the WB and how it sounds great with such low vol. This means that they reveal great dynamics, and this is what I am looking for! I am looking for high sense of dynamics with slam.
    I am not concerned about the bass, as I have a pair of subs

Post Thanks / Like

IMO Magico full range sealed bass cannot be offset with any subs. Also, if Magico sounds forced, itís probably because itís underpowered. The nature of the beast needs high current power and if you feed them with a proper amp, youíll be rewarded.

5. Likes Kuoppis liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2