Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Opinions on this Avantgarde Model

I saw these Uno’s today at a nice price. Can yoi share your opinions and listening impressions if you’ve heard these?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator

Re: Opinions on this Avantgarde Model

They look a little old, pre XD version. Mike will know more for sure.

Hopefully a REALLY nice price.

Can you demo them first?
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I heard them and they sounded nice. Thinking they would be around $5,000-$6,000. Thinking it’s a way to dip my toes into the AG sound at a modest entry price.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by RDSChicago View Post
    I heard them and they sounded nice. Thinking they would be around $5,000-$6,000. Thinking it’s a way to dip my toes into the AG sound at a modest entry price.
    They look to be around 2004-2006 time frame. They appear to be pre-Omega G2 drivers. They will give you a small taste of the AG sound, but without the latest Avantgarde XD technology, the bass may lag slightly behind the horns. But still a great speaker for that price.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

For that kind of money, I would jump on it for sure
    Paul

The Unos look very similar to my Duos which I bought used in 2003 (probably from around 2000 or so when new). I still have them as my main speakers along with 3 Solos that I bought over the years for my center and rear speakers creating my 5.1 system. I haven't felt the urge to upgrade in more than 15 years. Spend my money on other stuff (like tapes!). If the Unos are in good shape, that is a nice price to get into Avantgardes. Easy to decide whether you want to later upgrade or not without tying up a bunch of money.

Larry
    Analog-VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono,2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2, Merrill Trident Tape Preamp, Herron VTPH-2A&BottleheadPhonoPre,
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicroso nicsModel2 AD
    Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC Roon/HQPlayer,Oppo105
    Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-512 Engineering Tim Marutani Symmetrical Power IsoTrans and cables,AudioDiskVinylCleaner,
    Music-2.3KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,60TBripped files

Quote Originally Posted by RDSChicago View Post
    Hmm, I know a little bit about UNOs from that era...

If you get them, drop me line & maybe I can offer a set-up pointer or two.

Definitely start by using 190 Hz for the SUB 225 crossover to mid-horn.
    DPT4ME - Dynamics, Presence & Tone for Musical Engagement; MBP (3) - stripped down for music only; Shunyata Omega & Sigma USBs; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; Aqua La Scala II Optologic DAC; Schiit Yggdrasil - fully updated; Ayre Codex dac - updated; Pass Labs INT-60 integrated amp; Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE-2 preamp, Quicksilver Mono 120 amps w/Tung-Sol KT150s; Quicksilver Mid Mono amps w/Gold Lion KT77s; Fyne Audio 703s; Symposium Svelte Plus & Ultra Platforms; REL S-812 subwoofers; Duelund DCA12GA speaker cables; AV Room Service EVPs, Stein Music Harmonizers, Duelund DCA16GA & 20GA ICs; Shunyata Denali 6000S/V2; Tripp Lite PCs; Wyred 4 Sound power cords; AudioDharma cable cooker; dedicated custom room; various GIK & ASC room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
    Hmm, I know a little bit about UNOs from that era...

If you get them, drop me line & maybe I can offer a set-up pointer or two.

Definitely start by using 190 Hz for the SUB 225 crossover to mid-horn.
    Sounds like a great idea Opinions on this Avantgarde Model
    Paul

Jim Smith is being very modest. He knows more about Avantgarde speakers from that era than anyone in world who isn't German.

Larry
    Analog-VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono,2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2, Merrill Trident Tape Preamp, Herron VTPH-2A&BottleheadPhonoPre,
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicroso nicsModel2 AD
    Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC Roon/HQPlayer,Oppo105
    Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-512 Engineering Tim Marutani Symmetrical Power IsoTrans and cables,AudioDiskVinylCleaner,
    Music-2.3KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,60TBripped files

Bit late to the party but if you haven't purchased yet - I would inspect the foam inside for all the driver housings including the bass box.
    If deteriorated it will be very messy inside. It is however an easy fix - DIY able and the foam is easily obtainable online and not expensive.
    Half a days works for both speakers to fix.
    Check solder joints inside as well for the mid range driver to the WBT speaker posts.
    I have had one of the 12v remote voltage relays fail but also an easy fix.
    Support from Avantgarde is very good. Shout out to Armin.
    Good luck

I saw these same speakers. They are in Champaign, IL (Glenn Poor's Audio), along with an ~18 year old pair of Duos. I listened to both (and almost bought the Duos). The setup, unfortunately is far from ideal with maybe a equilateral triangle of 7-8', seat against the wall, and many other speakers in the room. It's a nice store with Quads and Wilsons in the two main listening rooms.
    Room: 22' W x 26.5' L x 10' H. Constructed with double drywall with acoustic glue between sheets. Drywall isolated from studs and joists using IsoMax Isolation Clips.
    Room Treatments: Mix of GIK Acoustics Bass Traps, 244 panels with scatter plates and 242 panels with scatter plates
    Digital Files Handling: NAS -> Roonserver on CAPSv3 - i7 quad-core powered by Uptone Linear PS.
    Power Conditioning: Equi=Tech 2RQ Balanced Isolation Transformer, PS Audio Premier.
    Front End: MSB Reference DAC (Femto 77, Preamp Module, Renderv2)
    Linestage: Thomas Mayer 10Y Silver
    Amplifier: Thomas Mayer 45 drives 45 mono blocks
    Speakers: Avantgarde Duo Mezzo XD
    Video: Oppo BD-103 BR Player, JVC RS67U projector, 133" diagonal Da-Lite Cinema Contour Fixed Frame screen.

I feel sure you will have either bought the Unos or decided not to buy now.

However regarding early Unos, note that the oldest ones have twin 7" bass drivers - best avoided. The first ones with 10" drivers had foam surrounds - expect these to need servicing – maybe avoid these too. Then came the first 10" ones with much more robust rubber surrounds. I had this model of Uno from new (2003) till last year. In fact this is the model that Stereophile chose as their Joint Speaker of the Year following Robert Deutsch's excellent review. The next change (in about 2004) was the addition of line level for the amp in addition to speaker level.

These old Unos are great speakers if chosen carefully despite their ago. I'd certainly suggest you go for the rubber-surround 10" driver model. I bought mine new in about 2003 for £4200 (with a good dealer discount) and sold them last year for £4200 - not a penny in depreciation - but still a good buy for their next owner.

I replaced the Unos for slightly newer Duos (about 2006 - with line level inputs) and I'm happy with these until I find a good pair of Duo XDs or Mezzos.

The thing I’ve never liked about older Unos and Duos (the ones with tubes for both horns) is the “scaffolding” that supports them. I ditched the single side pole years ago and fixed the Unos horn tubes to the remaining two poles using curved shims from Trios (bought direct from AG). This improved their looks but the horns were no longer in precise vertical alignment with the bass drivers. Then I designed a rear-mounted F frame to support both tubes so the remaining scaffolding could be ditched. However, then I bought the Duos and found that (despite the greater mid horn tube diameter) my F frames would achieve identical results on the Duos. No damage to the speakers, improvements in vibration isolation and a much more modern look to the speakers. I’m well please with the result – see my Avatar photo. Drawing available on request! Peter
    Sources - NAD M50.2 (streamer, CD player, CD ripper, hard drive music store)
    Amplification - NAD M33 all-in-one, NAD M12 preamp (in reserve), Atma-Sphere Class D monos
    Speakers - Avantgarde Duo XD, Avantgarde Duo (2006) - both aesthetically modified

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Opinions on this Avantgarde Model