Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Planning to step up to a high end home audio system. Need advice.

Nice reads
    now aside from math how do we feel each format sounds to us
    this is on part why some prefer one format over the other. After this lets consider the sound reproduction system used for observation.
    My reason is this
    on headphones exp flag ships on exp amps meaning sota
    pcm or dsd is easy to hear
    dsd 64 to dsd128 easy
    now 256 and 512 good luck there. But even this can be judgmental due how good the dac is
    dop or native.
    For me dsd 128 is the sweetsopt but I do feel 256 has virtues and 512 not so much
    now same observation on my IRS v setup it different
    dsd 64/128/256/512 all can be heard.but again 128 is sweet but 256 is more hollowgraohic.
    More ambience too. But no matter how good the heapphones are I can't.
    Pcm is easy
    16/44.1 low end of pcm and for me lets nkt go to MP3
    but there is some good MP3
    now going to anyting 24 bit depth the noise floor is noted
    yet math on 16 seems more than enough
    and if my math is correct
    16/24 is about 256 times more volume resolution.
    Why this matters I don't know but the my thought is it's a lower noise floor that somehow it translates in my brain to blacker background.
    Color me nuts it's ok but it's obvious
    24/96 sweet spot for pcm too. Why it's still very dynamic or has jump 24/192 model layers less jump in dynamics
    TUBEZATOR

preamp ML26
    amps ML No.33
    Infinity IRS-V speakers with Xover redone by Arie Nudell.

Now that you have completed your system purchase I had to bring your beginning thread back to the top.

Congratulation on finishing the purchase of your system. How did the $12,000 budget work out? :-)
    Synology 1019D+ - SGC Sonictransporter I9 w Roon/HQ Player- UltraRendu- PBD Stream IF to Playback Designs MPS5 via fiber optic - ARC 40th Anniversary Pre - ARC 610 T's - Martin Logan CLX's - 4 Martin Logan Depth i Subs - Shunyata Hydra, DIY PCOCC interconnects, speaker cables and power cords with Furutech terminations. Blue Jean CAT 6's between front end equipment.
    LHY FMC and Corning Fiber to rebuilt LHY SW-6 switch in listening room.
    Acoustically treated room with one permanent chair.

Quote Originally Posted by brad225 View Post
    Now that you have completed your system purchase I had to bring your beginning thread back to the top.

Congratulation on finishing the purchase of your system. How did the $12,000 budget work out? :-)

Brad, I pretty much obliterated my budget. As I became more educated about high end home audio I realized I'd have to spend much more money than I originally planned. I became aware that to get what I really wanted I was going to have to bite the bullet and buy it. Looking at what I purchased you can easily do the math, so I'll save you the time and tell you I spent a total of about $40,000 over a 10 month period. And that doesn't take into account the weekend trip to Suncoast Audio in Sarasota, FL. to audition components. It kind of reminds me of building a new house...It will ALWAYS cost you more than you think. But I got what I wanted. And next week I'm going to find out if it was worth it. However, I'm not too concerned about that. I can hardly wait.

It was really cool of you, Brad, to bring my original thread back. Thank you for that. I hadn't had the chance to go back and review it. I've really enjoyed rereading it. It's really interesting to see some of the choices I made and the number of times I changed my mind about various components and how I arrived at my final choices. I'm very confident about those choices. I'm not sure what else I could have done. They were exhaustively researched. I know it will pay off.

Tom

I would guess most here smiled when you talked about your hopeful budget.

The knowledge you possessed about what you were looking for in sound quality was the end to your hoped for initial budget.
    I never would have asked what you spent but would have guessed there or above.
    It is interesting to look at peoples thoughts and direction they are thinking of and where reality takes them.

There is no doubt in my mind there will be one happy guy in Iowa next week.
    Synology 1019D+ - SGC Sonictransporter I9 w Roon/HQ Player- UltraRendu- PBD Stream IF to Playback Designs MPS5 via fiber optic - ARC 40th Anniversary Pre - ARC 610 T's - Martin Logan CLX's - 4 Martin Logan Depth i Subs - Shunyata Hydra, DIY PCOCC interconnects, speaker cables and power cords with Furutech terminations. Blue Jean CAT 6's between front end equipment.
    LHY FMC and Corning Fiber to rebuilt LHY SW-6 switch in listening room.
    Acoustically treated room with one permanent chair.

Yeah, Brad, naive is the term that comes to mind, ha! I was naive. Or, at least ignorant.

I hope you have help to move that 250.8 into place, it's a beast, yet a beauty.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Planning to step up to a high end home audio system. Need advice.