4K Players Are Becoming Extinct - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 4K Players Are Becoming Extinct

I think for the majority of high end 4K TV owners,l feel why spend $400 to $500 (if you throw in at least three 4K Blu-ray discs) on a new media source if your TV’s or set-top boxes streaming 4K media apps will let you watch the same movies and more for just a few bucks a month.
    Chris

(2 Chl): Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE Lumin D1, VPI Classic 1, Manley Chinook, Dynavector DV20x2L.exaSound e32 mk11, Marantz SA11S2. ( computer) Win7, Synology DS413 NAS ,Vincent SP-331MKII , Quicksilver LS,Vapor Audio Breeze, Rythmik F12se. Cables: Acoustic Zen, DL Labs, Blue Jean.. ,Bryston BCD-1,Timbernation Rack,

Post Thanks / Like

I've been thinking about getting a 4K TV. I was in Costco today and a 65" 4K TCL Brand TV was $499. We don't watch TV very much and I have a front projector which is an old Panasonic which does 1080p onto a 100" screen for bluray movies. We have Amazon Prime, but haven't used the TV/movie features of the subscription very much. The 4k TV would just be for casual viewing in another room. I don't see any 1080p TVs around. Not interested in an OLED or other super high end TV. Is the demise of the 4K player going to affect the 4K TV? I don't see any alternatives at a reasonable price point.

Thanks, Larry
    Analog-VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono,2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 Herron VTPH-2A&BottleheadPhonoPre,
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacMicroModel2
    Dig Play-Lampi Pacific, mch NADAC Roon/HQPlayer,Oppo105
    Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-Symmetrical Power&ArtKelmGroundOneIsoTrans,AudioDiskVinylClean er,AirTightRecordFlattener, Scott Rust cables
    Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs ,50TBripped files

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by astrotoy View Post
    I don't see any 1080p TVs around. Not interested in an OLED or other super high end TV. Is the demise of the 4K player going to affect the 4K TV? I don't see any alternatives at a reasonable price point.

Thanks, Larry
    The reason why you don’t see 1080p TVs around is just because now everyone is looking for 4K TVs. 1080p is old technology.

My projector can do some version of 4K, but not native 4K. Nor will it do HDR (high dynamic range) which many consider to be even more important than 4K.

The demise of the 4K TV player has no effect on 4K TVs. Folks are watching more and more 4K films via streaming. Amazon Prime Vídeo, Netflix, etc have 4K films right now. You can stream them using AppleTV or Roku. You no longer need an extra box (I.e., dedicated player) or a physical disc. The same applies to audio players/transports btw.

The media companies make more money by not having to manufacture discs.

Post Thanks / Like

Since I will be canceling my cable to only supply the basic local channels, I will keep both of my Oppo 203 to play 4K movies I buy, and Blue Rays I rent from Netflix.
    Bud

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for preamp, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Since I will be canceling my cable to only supply the basic local channels, I will keep both of my Oppo 203 to play 4K movies I buy, and Blue Rays I rent from Netflix.
    Your Oppo has better video capabilities than many digital preamps. I feed HDMI from my cable box to the Oppo 205 and I get better video and digital audio from it instead feeding the signal to my preamp.

Post Thanks / Like

Why isn't there a movie streaming service similar to Tidal, Spotify etc. so I can watch whatever movie pops into my head, at any time? Opposed to these video services which seem to work like HBO, you get what you get until they rotate more get what you get.

Meaning I want access to a video library so I can watch any movie. That's when streaming will get my attention. Seems current services are making money on original programming that gains popularity via watercooler chatter.

Along with the fluff like Transformers, Lord of the Rings, all sorts of animated movies, I also have stuff like No Time For Sargents, Don Knots collection, Doris Day, who remembers, or seen Matt Helm (Dean Martin). I like showing those to my kids, grandkids. I like Hulu for the old sitcoms. I fear a lot will be forgotten and lost. I can't remember the last time I've seen a Jerry Lewis movie on any channel.

Sorry, I think my filter got turned off
    NAD M50.2, Mark Levinson #526 & 532h, JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart, AcousTech PH-1P
    All Clarus Crimson cabling, AC to binding post. Surgex
    HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Why isn't there a movie streaming service similar to Tidal, Spotify etc. so I can watch whatever movie pops into my head, at any time? Opposed to these video services which seem to work like HBO, you get what you get until they rotate more get what you get.
    That already exists. It is called Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. Even Tidal and Spotify don’t have everything.

8. Likes CPP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    no surprise - I sold my Oppo BDP two years ago and haven't looked back. prob should upload my BDs to my server though.
    Keith, how do you upload BC's to your server. Sounds like a great idea to me.

Larry
    Analog-VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono,2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 Herron VTPH-2A&BottleheadPhonoPre,
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacMicroModel2
    Dig Play-Lampi Pacific, mch NADAC Roon/HQPlayer,Oppo105
    Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-Symmetrical Power&ArtKelmGroundOneIsoTrans,AudioDiskVinylClean er,AirTightRecordFlattener, Scott Rust cables
    Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs ,50TBripped files

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    I also have stuff like No Time For Sargents, Don Knots collection, Doris Day, who remembers, or seen Matt Helm (Dean Martin). I like showing those to my kids, grandkids. I like Hulu for the old sitcoms. I fear a lot will be forgotten and lost. I can't remember the last time I've seen a Jerry Lewis movie on any channel.
    You need to check out local digital broadcast TV channels, lots of movies like you mentioned and much more. I'm enjoying some old sci-fi movies and series on the Comet channel (and others).
    Plenty of content for me without the expense of cable
    Analog: modded Yamaha PX-2, Denon DL-103r, MFA Magus preamp, Mogami/Vampire/DIY cables
    Digital: Firewire ext. HDD, modded Mac Mini server, Intona/Regen/Curious USB chain, (3x)ultralow noise LPSUs
    2-channel: Benchmark DAC2 HGC, Crown XLS2500, Acoustat Spectra 3300, (2x)Velodyne 12" servo subs
    Other: OPPO BDP-103, DIY and Nordost Blue Heaven cables, all speakers and gear floated on DIY rollerblocks

Post Thanks / Like

True, with each station able to have several options, over the air is better than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Daudio View Post
    You need to check out local digital broadcast TV channels, lots of movies like you mentioned and much more. I'm enjoying some old sci-fi movies and series on the Comet channel (and others).
    Plenty of content for me without the expense of cable
    NAD M50.2, Mark Levinson #526 & 532h, JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart, AcousTech PH-1P
    All Clarus Crimson cabling, AC to binding post. Surgex
    HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast