Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Wilson driver material not acceptable for high end speakers today

Wilsons look like trash cans or robots on the very high end. I don't mind the look personally but they definitely are not attractive speakers - probably the worst WAF of any well known high end speaker.

Banned

Would that be blind, or, deaf?

I thought speakers were to listen to. Ugly speakers are like that girl you brought home at closing time, it's all the same in the dark, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
    a large number of blind audiophiles .........
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Would that be blind, or, deaf?

I thought speakers were to listen to. Ugly speakers are like that girl you brought home at closing time, it's all the same in the dark, LOL
    You have to admit that the ugly ones are at least real and honest about their intentions! Most guys need to thank the "ugly ones" because without them there would be a heck of a lot of horny angry men in this society. I have heard men tell the stuck up pretty ones, "what will you do when your looks fade, rely on your personality? I love my Wilson Maxx 3. I've owned Magneplanar, Acoustat, and Martin Logan before switching to a paper cone speaker.
    Source component-Esoteric K-01X
    Preamp-
    Audio Research Reference 10
    Amplifier- ​D'Agostino Progression monoblocks
    Speakers-
    Wilson Audio Maxx 3
    Isolation stand-HRS SXR
    Cables-Transparent Reference speaker and Super I/C's.
    Power conditioning-Transparent Power Isolator and Transparent power cords
    Room treatment-Vicoustics

I thought speakers were to listen to.
    they are, I just happen to keep my eyes open most of the time. Hey , no worries there are plenty of folks that like Wilsons for their looks, I'm not one of them, but I too have company ........

Ugly speakers are like that girl you brought home at closing time, it's all the same in the dark, LOL
    I would never know, but then again there are guys that like fat chicks, not me .........
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Last I looked Richard Vandersteen has made a boatload of money with for years three basic models that most people thought were ugly but yet 40 years later they are still with us because enough people liked the way they sounded.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
    Now this is an ugly speaker. Expensive, probably sounds great... but ugly:
    That speaker is no longer there, though it was sound and not looks that brought about the move. If you look around there are numerous pics on the web showing the replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
    Now this is an ugly speaker. Expensive, probably sounds great... but ugly:
    I don't think those speakers are ugly nor are the speakers that replaced them.

If we only wanted beautiful speakers everyone would own Aida 2's or Lilium's.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Beauty is simply in the eye of the beholder - what matters is what’s within.

Now with that being said, I’m a T&A kinda guy, but still the rule follows function.

Proud Wilson Owner here...no plans of change in that department.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    Beauty is simply in the eye of the beholder - what matters is what’s within.

Now with that being said, I’m a T&A kinda guy, but still the rule follows function.

Proud Wilson Owner here...no plans of change in that department.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Truer words were never spoken. I think my Vandersteen 7 Mk2’s are gorgeous looking. I’ve heard others say they’re homely.

Ken

E157BD11-EB34-40C9-A8F8-E1852A8CB5BC.jpeg
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

I am pretty amazed at the comments here. It is pretty insulting to those who own and cherish their Wilsons. I got spurned for questioning the Magico business model but 6 pages of insulting Wilson is OK? Don't get it.

First off, Wilson still outsells all others by far. Second, they are very well accepted for their looks and in fact the number one seller, by far, to the "rich and famous" up here in Palm Beach; yes based on looks and by far more acceptable to designers than any Magico. As to the materials they use, too much hype about what manufacturers use with too little listening.

Years ago, I owned Watt/Puppies with Spectral which I loved. Moved to the bigger Grand Slam, which others LOVED but I couldn't stand. Haven't owned Wilson since so I have no dog in this discussion other than to give me two cents as to insults.

No dog, I'd say, you'd have to have blinders on to be in the same room with Gobel. LOLOL

Quote Originally Posted by Priaptor View Post
    I am pretty amazed at the comments here. It is pretty insulting to those who own and cherish their Wilsons. I got spurned for questioning the Magico business model but 6 pages of insulting Wilson is OK? Don't get it.

First off, Wilson still outsells all others by far. Second, they are very well accepted for their looks and in fact the number one seller, by far, to the "rich and famous" up here in Palm Beach; yes based on looks and by far more acceptable to designers than any Magico. As to the materials they use, too much hype about what manufacturers use with too little listening.

Years ago, I owned Watt/Puppies with Spectral which I loved. Moved to the bigger Grand Slam, which others LOVED but I couldn't stand. Haven't owned Wilson since so I have no dog in this discussion other than to give me two cents as to insults.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Quote Originally Posted by Bar81 View Post
    Wilsons look like trash cans or robots on the very high end. I don't mind the look personally but they definitely are not attractive speakers - probably the worst WAF of any well known high end speaker.
    Ha, ha ,

Thats so ridonculous .......

Wilson driver material not acceptable for high end speakers today

You meant this ? Wilson driver material not acceptable for high end speakers today
    Paul

Hilarious comments.

I love the look of my Maxx 3's. They are just so alien, evil and nasty looking - My wife and girls hate the look - makes me love the look even more.

do not like the of the Alexia look - like a large wide rugby player with no neck and a small head. the new Sasha's look great imo.

Magico S series just looks like a half cut piece of plastic plumbing pipe with black cover and drivers shoved on the front, and they always look like they will topple over - can't stand them personally.

The Q and M series look awesome thou, although Magico might be taking the curved corners a little too far now.

no one would ever call Avantgarde speakers good looking. The classic creme with wood magnepan speakers is vomit worthy.
    you could go on and on.

clearly most audiophiles buy on sound, not how good looking the speaker is, which is the way it should be.
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    Hilarious comments.

I love the look of my Maxx 3's. They are just so alien, evil and nasty looking - My wife and girls hate the look - makes me love the look even more.

do not like the of the Alexia look - like a large wide rugby player with no neck and a small head. the new Sasha's look great imo.

Magico S series just looks like a half cut piece of plastic plumbing pipe with black cover and drivers shoved on the front, and they always look like they will topple over - can't stand them personally.

The Q and M series look awesome thou, although Magico might be taking the curved corners a little too far now.

no one would ever call Avantgarde speakers good looking. The classic creme with wood magnepan speakers is vomit worthy.
    you could go on and on.

clearly most audiophiles buy on sound, not how good looking the speaker is, which is the way it should be.
    Quite the contrary. I hear repeatedly how much both the men and women who come into the store like them. The lady yesterday loved the look of them, especially in the Berma Blue. A few weeks ago, another lady commented, “they look like music.”
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

No dog, I'd say, you'd have to have blinders on to be in the same room with Gobel. LOLOL
    LOLOL, just looked at your system; eat your heart out pal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Quite the contrary. I hear repeatedly how much both the men and women who come into the store like them. The lady yesterday loved the look of them, especially in the Berma Blue. A few weeks ago, another lady commented, “they look like music.”
    This thread started as bashing Wilson for using crappy materials to bashing them for the way they look and truth is Mike, no matter the anecdote you quote regarding horns, most sane people who are not audiophiles would laugh at what we audiophiles find "attractive".

We can all decide to be delusional in our perspectives but it all comes down, ultimately, to how it sounds and what we rationalize as "good looking".

Aw, no comment yet. Before I forget I want to make sure you know I was just messing with you. I'm really not a good judge of what looks good or bad.

My wife don't like the look of my current speakers. The only speaker she ever, ever, said looked good, was the revel studio 2 when I had them in for audition. I think it was price that made me not buy them but if I was smart I should have taken the opportunity since she was on board, LOL

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Oh, you snuck in on me. If you could donate me a couple hundred K, Gobel would be on my list.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

True story though, when I was in the Gobel room someone asked, "what is that thing on top that looks like an iPad?"

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Here is a good explanation with a (VERY) relevant example to why the OP is right:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2pvz6RDBCE

Quote Originally Posted by LVB View Post
    Here is a good explanation with a (VERY) relevant example to why the OP is right:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2pvz6RDBCE
    Wow, what an interesting analysis by Richard Vandersteen.
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

Richard Vandersteen is a highly respected speaker manufacturer. As are Wilson Audio and others using different materials. Wilson uses very advanced electronic means of every sort in their research. Due to the size of their business worldwide they can afford and have the best, so I'm sure this sort of information is old news to them. Mr. V's points taken alone with out response from others significant players is interesting but relatively meaningless. But, as has been said, how a speaker sounds to each of us the ultimate measure of quality.

I think the worst problem with paper cones can be the humidity.
    I get sick when I see some signals of it on them ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Wilson driver material not acceptable for high end speakers today