Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Hi All. Excited to Join

I'm a long-time audio enthusiast since falling asleep at night listening to LP’s through my first set of open back headphone. I was all of 13 years old. Man, I wish I could remember the make and model of those headphones. I thought they were so cool.
    Anyway, the years have come and gone along with countless equipment changes. With children through college and firmly planted on the pathway of life my wife and I can now enjoy peripheral things. Her the house me my audio/video system. I’m starting to move up the audiophile food chain with the purchase of B&W 803D3 speakers. WAF played a big part in her buy in.
    Just added the Marantz SR7012. Next expected purchase is an amp. Obviously, something on the warmer side to help soften the speakers. I’m considering Bryston, Pass, or Mcintosh and looking for advice or things to consider. This should be a fun ride.
    Doug

2-Channel
    McIntosh C2700, (2X)MC601, MEN220 Lampizator Baltic 3
    Sonore opticalRendu, SGC sonicTransporter i5 (Gen 3), Roon Thorens TT TD318
    B&W 803D3 JL Audio (2x)f110v2
    Shunyata Denali, Alpha PCs, WW Gold/Silver Eclipse Interconnects, Platinum USB

Whole House Music Listening
    Bluesound Vault2i, PowerNode2, PulseMini2i, Pulse2, (3x)Flex
    5.2 System Above using Passthru
    Marantz SR7012
    Oppo 205, Apple TV (4th gen), Sony XBR850e65
    B&W HTM2 D3
    Second 5.1 System Castoffs from Upgrades
    LRC Paradigm Millenia 20, Velodyne MiniVee 10, KEF surrounds, DefTech AW6500

Super Moderator

Re: Hi All. Excited to Join

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Welcome to AS......I have no experience with the
    B&W 803D3 speakers but have read that McIntosh is a good match with B&W speakers. I really don't think you can go wrong with either of your selections.
    Paul

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
    Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
    Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
    Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
    Music Server: Aurender N100H
    Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
    SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
    Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
    AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.

Welcome aboard, enjoy your stay.

Can we have a first name to use?
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Welcome to AS!
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by dkorbal View Post
    I'm a long-time audio enthusiast since falling asleep at night listening to LP’s through my first set of open back headphone. I was all of 13 years old. Man, I wish I could remember the make and model of those headphones. I thought they were so cool.
    Anyway, the years have come and gone along with countless equipment changes. With children through college and firmly planted on the pathway of life my wife and I can now enjoy peripheral things. Her the house me my audio/video system. I’m starting to move up the audiophile food chain with the purchase of B&W 803D3 speakers. WAF played a big part in her buy in.
    Just added the Marantz SR7012. Next expected purchase is an amp. Obviously, something on the warmer side to help soften the speakers. I’m considering Bryston, Pass, or Mcintosh and looking for advice or things to consider. This should be a fun ride.
    Welcome to AudioShark! Hope you enjoy your stay!
    Ryan.

Welcome aboard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    Shunyata PS8 & Defender & Cabling
    HRS E1

Welcome.

All 3 amps are good quality, Bryston is more neutral, where the Mac and Pass lean warmer. The Pass would have more bass authority and detail over Mac, IMO. This is general as no particular models are compared. We have very happy members with both.

Unless looking to upgrade your sources and move to a dedicated preamp for 2-channel, those amps are really a bit over qualified.

In a more affordable price class you might look at the Marantz amps, or, not really warm, Parasound Halo series would be good.

Though you would use preamp outputs, a receiver's preamp section leaves a lot to be desired compared to a stand alone preamp.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Thanks all,

First name is Doug
    Doug

2-Channel

Marantz SR7012
    B&W HTM2 D3

Super Moderator

Hi Doug!
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Hi Doug, and welcome to the forum.

As far as amps go. Do you have a local stereo store still available in your area. If they have been around for some years they are a great source of information and will allow customers to try various products in home. I purchased a used Bryston amp from the internet. I bought the Bryston based on their reputation, reviews, power and long term warranty. It's a work horse. Buying used on the internet can have its challenges but there are a lot of great used equipment if you do some home work and check feedback etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dkorbal View Post
    Thanks all,

First name is Doug
    Hello Mr. Doug! Nice to meet you!
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Welcome.

All 3 amps are good quality, Bryston is more neutral, where the Mac and Pass lean warmer. The Pass would have more bass authority and detail over Mac, IMO. This is general as no particular models are compared. We have very happy members with both.

Unless looking to upgrade your sources and move to a dedicated preamp for 2-channel, those amps are really a bit over qualified.

In a more affordable price class you might look at the Marantz amps, or, not really warm, Parasound Halo series would be good.

Though you would use preamp outputs, a receiver's preamp section leaves a lot to be desired compared to a stand alone preamp.
    This is a work in progress. I had a 5.1 setup already when I decided to upgrade. Can't afford everything at once so I need to systematical replace items as money becomes available. My plans are not set is stone. Option #1) Create a 2-channel listening room using separate components. Option #2) Upgrade my current 5.1 to 5.2.4. I would add a HTM1D3 center to the 803D3 (L/R) along with B&W rear and ceiling speakers. I would purchase a 2-channel amp for L/R along with a additional 5 or 7 amp to run center and surround sound speakers. Eventually I would buy a matching processor maybe MX122 or SP3 but until than I would use the Marantz’s pre-outs to handle it all.
    Most of my listening is done digitally (Tidal, SACD, Vault) but occasionally I spin vinyl. With the Oppo I have the choice to use its dedicated 2-channel DAC or it’s 7.1 analog out. I like options so the downside I see in NOT using a dedicated preamp, is the ability to color the music. For instance, when auditioning different amps my wife like the McIntosh warmth where I preferred the Mark Levinson sound through the 803D3. I have yet to hear the Bryston due to limited dealership in my area. A preamp would allow me more flexibility.
    My plan is dynamic which is the fun part. The speakers and amps are a few common components I can concentrate on now.

Doug
    Doug

2-Channel

Marantz SR7012
    B&W HTM2 D3

Quote Originally Posted by Darrel View Post
    Hi Doug, and welcome to the forum.

As far as amps go. Do you have a local stereo store still available in your area. If they have been around for some years they are a great source of information and will allow customers to try various products in home. I purchased a used Bryston amp from the internet. I bought the Bryston based on their reputation, reviews, power and long term warranty. It's a work horse. Buying used on the internet can have its challenges but there are a lot of great used equipment if you do some home work and check feedback etc.
    Yes, I do have a few shops that I deal with, but they don't carry Bryston. There is Audio Advisor not too far from me, but they are mail order only, no showroom. My wife loves the McIntosh sound (and I'm a fan) but I understand the new cube line is warmer but not as much as the McIntosh which might be a perfect fit our ears. I may end up going the route of buy used.
    Thanks Doug
    Doug

2-Channel

Marantz SR7012
    B&W HTM2 D3

Hi Doug, you might consider Axpona, not too far from you. www.Axpona.com. Good way to experience a lot of gear and get ideas, etc.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Hi All.  Excited to Join